Fix Scratch In Plasma Screen

If it is plastic in front of the plasma, you could try brasso, it is recommended for polishing up scratched CDs/DVDs. Just try it on a tiny bit of the corner of the screen first, where it wont annoy you too much if it makes the plastic milky. Otherwise if it is glass you may be out of luck, though you could try calling optometrists and telescope shops to see what they might recommend.

If its a deep scratch you are probably out of luck anyway.

DISCLAIMER- I take no responsibility for any horrible/awful/mildly annoying results of following my advice!

If it is plastic in front of the plasma, you could try brasso, it is recommended for polishing up scratched CDs/DVDs. Just try it on a tiny bit of the corner of the screen first, where it wont annoy you too much if it makes the plastic milky. Otherwise if it is glass you may be out of luck, though you could try calling optometrists and telescope shops to see what they might recommend.

If its a deep scratch you are probably out of luck anyway.

DISCLAIMER- I take no responsibility for any horrible/awful/mildly annoying results of following my advice!

thanks indulis. it's glass i think so i'm probably out of luck. i wonder how much it wold cost to get the glass replaced by panansonic if it's possible.....

thanks indulis. it's glass i think so i'm probably out of luck. i wonder how much it wold cost to get the glass replaced by panansonic if it's possible.....

I may sound stupid but try talking to a person who does car windscreen repairs. I have seen some excellent repairs that are difficult to see (i.e. rapaired really well).

I may sound stupid but try talking to a person who does car windscreen repairs. I have seen some excellent repairs that are difficult to see (i.e. rapaired really well).

Yea,I tried doing my own with the finest grade wet and dry,but made a real mess,as all that happens is you get more scratches on the glass

Using toothpaste may be a possibility,but glass is so hard.

Just maybe the household insurance could cover it under accidental damage.

does anybody know of any way to repair a scratch on a plasma screen?

I've tried doing a search on this topic but just keep getting all sorts of unrelated threads.

The big difficult is whether there is an antireflective coating on the surface of the glass :P - Not so good to polish this off, as it will be painfully obvious.

You could talk to the manufacturer (or as suggested - jeweller, glass merchant or windscreen merchant)

(Link)

Polishing Scratches Out of Glass

Cerium oxide is the polish of choice for glass. Before you can polish scratches out of glass, you must first determine how deep the scratches are. If you can feel a scratch as you run your fingernail across it, the scratch is too deep to be polished out with cerium oxide. You must first grind the scratch out.

The grit used to grind out the scratch will depend on the depth of the scratch. It is best to use the finest grit you can to grind out a scratch. I suggest starting with 2000 grit. If that is too slow, go to 1500 or 1200 grit and if it is still grinding too slowly, try 600 grit. However, after grinding with 600 grit, you will have to re-grind with 1200/1500 and then again with 2000 grit to remove scratches from the coarser grits. Only then, can the glass be polished with cerium oxide.

An easy way to grind out the scratches is to use silicon carbide sandpaper (the black sandpaper available at hardware stores or auto body shop supply houses) with water as a lubricant. After grinding, carefully clean off the area you ground with water and clean off your tools before going to the next finer grit. It's best to use an attachment on a drill, or an electric buffer.

Mix cerium oxide with water to create a slurry that's the same consistency as milk. Put the slurry on spinning buffing pad. Harder buffing pads made out of hard felt, or leather work best. The polishing action will be fastest when the cerium oxide is damp, but not dry, or runny wet. Fill a spray bottle with water and use it to keep the area you are polishing damp.

Glass is relatively easy to polish. Therefore, you don't need to use the more expensive 99.9% cerium. Instead, the less expensive 90% Optical grade will work fine.

Likewise: Try at your own risk ...........

PS - Oh, and I did find this gem :

Use a compound called cerium oxide which is sold by automotive parts houses for the removal of scratches on windshields. It is used in a buffing process after mixing with water. It does work but requires endless hours of polishing :blink: . If the crystal gets too hot in the process it can crack :P . The chemical is also toxic. :D(link)

Reassuring isn't it

Polishing Scratches Out of Glass

Cerium oxide is the polish of choice for glass. Before you can polish scratches out of glass, you must first determine how deep the scratches are. If you can feel a scratch as you run your fingernail across it, the scratch is too deep to be polished out with cerium oxide. You must first grind the scratch out.

The grit used to grind out the scratch will depend on the depth of the scratch. It is best to use the finest grit you can to grind out a scratch. I suggest starting with 2000 grit. If that is too slow, go to 1500 or 1200 grit and if it is still grinding too slowly, try 600 grit. However, after grinding with 600 grit, you will have to re-grind with 1200/1500 and then again with 2000 grit to remove scratches from the coarser grits. Only then, can the glass be polished with cerium oxide.

An easy way to grind out the scratches is to use silicon carbide sandpaper (the black sandpaper available at hardware stores or auto body shop supply houses) with water as a lubricant. After grinding, carefully clean off the area you ground with water and clean off your tools before going to the next finer grit. It's best to use an attachment on a drill, or an electric buffer.

Mix cerium oxide with water to create a slurry that's the same consistency as milk. Put the slurry on spinning buffing pad. Harder buffing pads made out of hard felt, or leather work best. The polishing action will be fastest when the cerium oxide is damp, but not dry, or runny wet. Fill a spray bottle with water and use it to keep the area you are polishing damp.

Glass is relatively easy to polish. Therefore, you don't need to use the more expensive 99.9% cerium. Instead, the less expensive 90% Optical grade will work fine.

(Link)

Likewise: Try at your own risk ...........

Thanks for that but I think it's best left to the experts. I'll see what they have to say. I've also read somewhere that buffing a plasma is very delicate work because the display can get damaged if too much pressure is applied so I'll be looking at all these suggested options. Thanks all. Wish me luck.

Thanks for that but I think it's best left to the experts. I'll see what they have to say. I've also read somewhere that buffing a plasma is very delicate work because the display can get damaged if too much pressure is applied so I'll be looking at all these suggested options. Thanks all. Wish me luck.

Hey did you have any luck with this?

Were they able to get the scratches out, or did insurance cover it?

I have the same problem with my beloved 86cm widescreen CRT!!!

So going though same thing at present.

Any ideas much appreciated.

• 6 months later...

Hi

Are there any updates on this. My darling kids decided to scour my CRT last week. Not deep scratches, but apparent. :blink:

Thanks

Mick

Hey did you have any luck with this?

Were they able to get the scratches out, or did insurance cover it?

I have the same problem with my beloved 86cm widescreen CRT!!!

So going though same thing at present.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Go straight to a mob that does scratches, chips in windows. It will polish out no worries.

If there is a anti-reflective coating, I wouldnt be too fussed about that either.

Just means you will have to get all of it polished off.

• 3 months later...
Go straight to a mob that does scratches, chips in windows. It will polish out no worries.

If there is a anti-reflective coating, I wouldnt be too fussed about that either.

Just means you will have to get all of it polished off.

An update on my scratched screen:

I rang around lots of windscreen repair companies in Melbourne and only one that I could find can repair a TV screen. It is Novus in Mitcham, 578 Whitehorse Road, 03 9873 3088. Other branches of Novus don't have the buffing machine, only Mitcham.

They did a great job, all scratches removed, smooth and dead flat.

Not an ad, I'm just glad I finally found someone who could help. I can watch and enjoy my TV again without focussing on the flaws.

Mick

An update on my scratched screen:

I rang around lots of windscreen repair companies in Melbourne and only one that I could find can repair a TV screen. It is Novus in Mitcham, 578 Whitehorse Road, 03 9873 3088. Other branches of Novus don't have the buffing machine, only Mitcham.

They did a great job, all scratches removed, smooth and dead flat.

Not an ad, I'm just glad I finally found someone who could help. I can watch and enjoy my TV again without focussing on the flaws.

Mick

I had my car windows tinted and I could see a small blemish on the glass, it was evident only after tint was applied, it turned out it was on the outside of the window, so the tinter used very fine steel wool with some soapy water and got rid of it.