Sign in to follow this  
Truman

Acer At3220b

Couldn't tell really in Officeworks if it 'hummed' as it was too loud, anyway I swapped my unit for a new one and the new one seems about the same possibly a bit quieter.

Basically I think it is one of those little design gremlins that made it to manufacturing - electronics is bad for this i.e. they have a very short time to market which means that units are shipped with known issues of varying severity.

Anyway I am still very happy with the purchase.

Cheers

Just spoke to my sister about her unit. Same problem. Looks like it's a design fault with this model and possibly all Acer LCD's. Now I know why people go to the effort of creating www.avoidacer.com. Disappointing because I'm happy with the picture. At least I didn't pay over $1000 like some people. Then I'd really be steamed.

Hi all,

Well I was just about to settle with my AIKO (after owning it for 5 days) when I saw this thread late last night, and basically couldn't resist checking out one of these units.

I returned the AIKO and bought the ACER this arvo.

I also own a Panasonic HD plasma, so I'll refer to this as we go......

Here's my take on things.

AIKO vs ACER using my XBOX 360 on both thru Component

Black levels

About the same. Obviously not as good as my plasma, but hey not to bad. Couldn't really pick a winner here, however I was satisfied with both that my gaming needs were met.

Clarity/Colour/Sharpness etc

If anything the ACER seems a little "washed out", but I'm really splitting hairs. Both are very similar.

Sound

They're both very average, but the ACER was probably a little better. That said my unit is suffering the "hum" as others have noticed. I'm not too concerned by it though, as my 360 sounds like a freaking 747 taking off and completely drowns it out.

Refresh rate

Again my plasma wins here, but I was pleasantly surprised with both units - they handle the 360 reasonably well

Style

Both pretty good - I think they both look good (so did my wife)

Cost

AIKO $898 at BIG W, the ACER $799 at Office works (after cash back). I guess the ACER wins

Warranty

AIKO 1 year, ACER 3 years - ACER wins

On the face of it, the ACER is the winner, but I'm a bit pissed about bleeding back light on the ACER panel. At the very bottom of my screen is a small amonut of bleeding backlight, that I may well have missed if not for the fact that watching a DVD in widescreen with the horizontal black bars, it's quite noticeable. As well as that when I display a "black" screen I notice that the black is not even. There appears to be shadows and bleeding from the corners. It's not too bad, and really only noticeable when you're looking for it on a black screen. Because of this issue I'm returning the unit and will see if another is available.

Has anyone else noticed this bleeding?

Regards to all

bluey

I just had a look at my unit and didn't notice any bleeding. I had side bars rather than bars at the bottom but the pciture seemed fine. Once again I noticed this big droning hum. It's even more noticeable at night time when it's quite. Reminds me of a B-52 engine.

I just had a look at my unit and didn't notice any bleeding. I had side bars rather than bars at the bottom but the pciture seemed fine. Once again I noticed this big droning hum. It's even more noticeable at night time when it's quite. Reminds me of a B-52 engine.

Took one home last night and noticed the humming noise straight away. Was wondering if my unit is an one off problem - looks like it isn't.

Looks like I'll need to keep the unit muted while feed the audio through the stereo system.

Picture is perfect - pity about the noise.

Got mine today, man they sold out fast at Officeworks QV (Melb).

Have only watched for 15 mins or so. General impression is sharp, bright picture. My other screen is a NEC plasma and the LCD is replacing a 15+ year old 21" Philips CRT. Had a quick check for the hum. Could only hear it when audio is turned down to 1 or 2, which is lower than I would ever have it anyway. Not a problem for me at all. The only negative so far is a bit of a "swimmy" look (some parts of the picture don't seem to be moving at the same rate as other parts) during some visual scenes, which I suppose is the pixel latency. I'm not used to looking at large LCDs so maybe this is normal. It's a bit offputting when sitting close, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Hey guys can anyone tell me the default contrast setting for 'movie' mode?

(I changed it and it appears that the vaules STAY changed even after turning the set off and then back on again)

SO IF YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH THE DISPLAY SETTINGS MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN 'USER' DISPLAY MODE WHEN YOU DO!

Thanks

Craig

I just came across this thread on based on the comments i opted to buy this lcd. First impressions are its obviously cheap as chips and the picture quality out of the box is more then reasonable provided you feed anything above a composite/s-video type of connection.

My worst fears confirmed however i am experiencing that dreaded HUM which is very noticable especially when i set it up only a few hours ago in my quiet house. I like the suggestion of muting the sound as i use an alternate sound system however is there anyway to actually get rid of the mute icon

its more then distracting. If that were possible i could probably live with this design flaw. But apart from that im quite pleased with this.

Bought one yesterday morning, and plugged it in tonight.

Good picture, no dead pixels, fair sound, but stacks of inputs. News was a bit grainy but "Ella Enchanted" looked fabulous (yech !). There is a hum, about 60 Hz, when the sound is on, which is present at 0 volume, but absent when muted. Noticable to audiophiles but not the kids. This probably contributed to the low price.

Has VGA in, so will connect to the HTPC via that, and to the DVD via component. May add a digital STB later and optic out to the amp.

Overall: good value, but be aware of the audio issue.

But the lack of audio out means a need for a STB to divert the audio from unit with free to air broadcast.

But if it does have an audio out - I wonder if the hum will be present in that output. It is good that there's no such option given the problem with the audio noise. :blink:

Just curious... did you ever get a chance to look at the Aiko 32 inch LCD set in Big W? If so, do you have any thoughts to share regarding Acer vs Aiko? (Probably difficult to compare, I realise, as the BigW staff usually have their TVs set up badly, using composite cable etc.)

Cheers

B9force, in all honesty (and I am working from memory here), I'd say the 2 sets (aiko & acer) are very similar in overall performance. I will stick my neck out and say that if pushed I'd say the blacks on the Aiko 32" are slightly, very slightly, better. I asked my brother, who was here tonight and at the store with me when we were looking at the set and he basically agrees with my view a very close run thing (but we were actually there to have a look at the new AWA 42" lcd - also made by KTV the same mob that make the Aiko set, so the Aiko wasn't our main focus that day). But when looking at the Aiko I did notice that as you view the screen at more of an angle it gets the familar lg / philips panel blueish-purple tinge. I have noticed this blueish tinge on many LG's, Philip's etc. I have not noticed this effect with Samsungs, Sony's (same panels as samsungs, just propriety electronics) or on the Acer - (the acer just gets a bit of a 'flare' effect, for lack of a better word - it's been a long day :blink: )

I agree that many stores do not set their sets up well, and even those that do use hd component often have so many sets hooked up to a feed it's no surprise their not looking their best. The Aiko 32" was hooked up to a AWA sd stb when I saw it and the picture was fairly decent, and allowing for a better stb and set-up in the home I could easily see how people are very happy with them especially at the $898.00 and $798.00 price point.

I didn't hear any buzzing from the Aiko speakers, which some people have been complaining about in the thread dedicated to this set, but I'm sure everyone is aware of the 'pristine' environment in these types of departement stores. Bright lighting, loud noise levels etc... etc...

I prefer the looks of the Acer to the Aiko, but the Aiko is still a decent looking set and I for one don't mind all black, and it's design is what I would describe as clean and simple - nothing wrong with that.

I can't comment on if the Acer 32" at the Office Works we went to had any auido issue, as the set was only running a movie via a dsub / vga input with no sound connected, I did check this.

Stockel, Chemware, and any others interested my wife listened to the set today as well and turned the volume down and up a bit and said she could maybe hear a slight hum or higher pitched noise but nothing objectionable. In fact when I turned the volume down on the set just now I was more annoyed by the high pitched noise the bloody energy saver globe was making in the overhead light. We also have desktop computer on at most times not far from a tv viewing area (same room) so this would be contributing to background noise in the room. I should also say that I have worked in noisy environments before, and currently do as well, so I know my hearing isn't as good as it could be - sometimes those earphones / earplugs just aren't around, or handy when you need them. It probably doesn't help that my main hobbies also involve exposure at times to fairly high noise levels.

I haven't noticed any 'wandering' volume levels tonight in the last 1-2 hours of viewing tv broadcasts, so I will keep an eye (ear) on this in the coming days.

One last point... I think the scaling / video / image processing circuitry in the Acer is reasonably good, much better than the magnavox we had (not surprised). It appears to cope quite well with sd digital broadcasts and I believe it would be more than a match for many sets in a similar $800-$1000 price bracket, and even a few costing significantly more.

I just came across this thread on based on the comments i opted to buy this lcd. First impressions are its obviously cheap as chips and the picture quality out of the box is more then reasonable provided you feed anything above a composite/s-video type of connection.

My worst fears confirmed however i am experiencing that dreaded HUM which is very noticable especially when i set it up only a few hours ago in my quiet house. I like the suggestion of muting the sound as i use an alternate sound system however is there anyway to actually get rid of the mute icon

its more then distracting. If that were possible i could probably live with this design flaw. But apart from that im quite pleased with this.

Hi , first time post and new member. I purchased this set from officeworks on thursday after buying its "baby brother" 68cm from DSE the week before. Hooked it up for a quick test last night and unfortunately I am getting the dreaded humming noise liike stockel , chemware and others. I thought my set could have been a one off problem but obviouslly this is not the case. I am at work now so unable to test further. I did try two diifferent model pvr's but same problem of humming running both using composite signals. I did discover though the humming stops immediately after disconnecting the yellow video connection from the pvr (audio still connected). I can tell you the humming noise does not seem to affect its smaller brother the 68cm acer AT2720 model. Other than this, my wife and I are very pleased with the purchase, picture quality for the price is terrific, was thinking of exchanging for another unit but it appears this humming issue is not an isolated case.

Cheers

billie

Hi , first time post and new member. I purchased this set from officeworks on thursday after buying its "baby brother" 68cm from DSE the week before. Hooked it up for a quick test last night and unfortunately I am getting the dreaded humming noise liike stockel , chemware and others. I thought my set could have been a one off problem but obviouslly this is not the case. I am at work now so unable to test further. I did try two diifferent model pvr's but same problem of humming running both using composite signals. I did discover though the humming stops immediately after disconnecting the yellow video connection from the pvr (audio still connected). I can tell you the humming noise does not seem to affect its smaller brother the 68cm acer AT2720 model. Other than this, my wife and I are very pleased with the purchase, picture quality for the price is terrific, was thinking of exchanging for another unit but it appears this humming issue is not an isolated case.

Cheers

billie

Interesting that the problem doesn't occur on the smaller 27" version. I noticed that this is a 5w speaker on the acer webs tie wheresas the 32" is 8w. I just ran another test. I removed the component cable from my tv and left the audio in. However I noticed that the audio circuit shuts down when there's no video. The hum goes from a loud hum to a soft hum. I think the hum is relative to the environment you have just come from. Coming from a quite environment (having just woken up) it sounds much louder this morning. I have the sound on at about 15 and can still hear the hum distinctly (with kids cartoons on). I will probably be taking this back today. Disapointing because I like this unit.

I returned my unit today.

The hum a(although not overly loud) just peeved me off. For $800 I don't like paying for design flaws.

My unit also had a dead pixel and some bleeding light. I had a small "shard" of light shining through the bottom of the unit into the screen. The bleeding wasn't extrme and only noticeable with a black background, but with horizontal black bars on some DVD's it was annoying.

I considered getting another one, but I just could get past the hum as a design flaw.

That said, I'm very picky.

Take care all

blue

Got mine today, man they sold out fast at Officeworks QV (Melb).

Have only watched for 15 mins or so. General impression is sharp, bright picture. My other screen is a NEC plasma and the LCD is replacing a 15+ year old 21" Philips CRT. Had a quick check for the hum. Could only hear it when audio is turned down to 1 or 2, which is lower than I would ever have it anyway. Not a problem for me at all. The only negative so far is a bit of a "swimmy" look (some parts of the picture don't seem to be moving at the same rate as other parts) during some visual scenes, which I suppose is the pixel latency. I'm not used to looking at large LCDs so maybe this is normal. It's a bit offputting when sitting close, but I guess I'll get used to it.

I partially take this back. It seems the "swimmy" effect is only taking place when using the composite signal from my cheapo Digicrystal STB. I could not notice the effect using the HDMI in from my DVD player, at least during a quick Wiggles session this morning. Will swap over to a HD STB some time and check that.

Just got back from returning my tv to Nunawading Office Works. Funny thing was the woman behind me was returning hers for the same reason. The manager at Office Works was really apologetic but really it's Acer who should be aplogising for their poor support. The other woman who was returning hers said she spoke to the Acer warranty department and was told that she needs to listen to it above 20 and that the hum was within acceptable tolerances. How many complaints does a company need to get before they realise their product is a dud. The manager at Office Works says all these units will be sent back to Acer as faulty units and that a report is done by each Office Works store and sent back to head office. I'd say Acer will have some explaining to do.

ram

Hey guys can anyone tell me the default contrast setting for 'movie' mode?

(I changed it and it appears that the vaules STAY changed even after turning the set off and then back on again)

SO IF YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH THE DISPLAY SETTINGS MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN 'USER' DISPLAY MODE WHEN YOU DO!

Thanks

Craig

47 on mine

Hi guys,

Like many ppl here I also purchased the Acer 32 inch from office works (on friday).

1. The humming sound is there, but i feel that i dont really notice it.

2. I'd like to share a comparison with my brothers Viewsonic N3260W (which is retailing for about $1000)

On picture qauilty it seemed to both me and my brother that on the Viewsonic the picture was clearer and sharper. On a scale of 1-10 the acer might have a 6 while the viewsonic might be a 8. (numbers used just to illustrate between the two sets). Other then that the sets were very similar.

3. As to if i'll return my set, I'd say I proably might. Yet to decide. The cost of the set was very cheap and I'm yet to decide if the difference in picture quailty is worth and extra 200 bucks and the hassle.

An another option i'm thinking about is purchasing a Samsung 27 inch LA27S71BX. I love the design and its priced at about $1050 from dicksmith. What do ppl think?

All the above are really my own opinions and i'm not an expert in audio visual.

Garry

Hi All,

Just got my Acer home and also have the dreaded hum.

I just wish when you muted the TV that stupid mute icon would disappear. Then all my problem would be solved.

Anyway, I'll be calling Acer tomorrow to lodge my complaint.

Thanks

Gurty

Just got back from returning my tv to Nunawading Office Works. Funny thing was the woman behind me was returning hers for the same reason. The manager at Office Works was really apologetic but really it's Acer who should be aplogising for their poor support. The other woman who was returning hers said she spoke to the Acer warranty department and was told that she needs to listen to it above 20 and that the hum was within acceptable tolerances. How many complaints does a company need to get before they realise their product is a dud. The manager at Office Works says all these units will be sent back to Acer as faulty units and that a report is done by each Office Works store and sent back to head office. I'd say Acer will have some explaining to do.

ram

Hi Ram and others,

Yes I ended up returning my unit, According to manager at this particular Officeworks store they have had no other customers return the unit with audo humming issues. I guess there are many people willing to accept this flaw as twenty or so units were sold with no more in stock. My wife and I ended up going to another nearby Officeworks and it just so happened they had two brand new units left (one of those reserved). Well to cut a long story short, we ended up getting another unit on the chance this would be ok. We hooked it up and fingers crossed, but alas, the hum was there, so again I am faced with the decision to keep or return. I am convinced now that all units have this problem, hey, it may not bother most people but just because a product is cheaper than most, we should not accept the Acer warranty department excuse "it is within acceptable tolerances". We should all be more vocal and complain to Acer loudly and demand this fault be either rectified under warranty or they offer a new replacement unit (perhaps different model?) which does not suffer this problem. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I purchased the smaller model 2720b (27inch) and this does not suffer the audio humming problem, also our office has two model 3201W units again with no issues, so Acer can do it, otherwise apart from this issue I find the set to be excellent value and when fed a good signal will please or should please the majority of customers with a beautiful lifelike colours that will put a smile not only on your face but on your wallet too.

:blink:

Billie

Also, Anyone had any luck programming their MCE remote to turn the TV on and off?

... According to manager at this particular Officeworks store they have had no other customers return the unit with audo humming issues. I guess there are many people willing to accept this flaw as twenty or so units were sold with no more in stock. My wife and I ended up going to another nearby Officeworks and it just so happened they had two brand new units left (one of those reserved). Well to cut a long story short, we ended up getting another unit on the chance this would be ok. We hooked it up and fingers crossed, but alas, the hum was there, so again I am faced with the decision to keep or return. I am convinced now that all units have this problem...

Billie

Well, 4:30am, silent house, and no hum on my Acer AT3220B at lowest volume. There's no perceptible difference between muted and not muted. An no annoying backlight bleed, either. No real blacks, but, at least the "near blacks" are even.

Did I get the only good unit?

Bill

Well, 4:30am, silent house, and no hum on my Acer AT3220B at lowest volume. There's no perceptible difference between muted and not muted. An no annoying backlight bleed, either. No real blacks, but, at least the "near blacks" are even.

Bill

I'm with you Bill, I brought mine in Tassie at Office works and I can't fault it. ONLY exception is the clay face issue when watching DVD's through a composit RCA connection from my old xbox, but this will no doubt be resolved with Component connections...

Also anyone else get the trade in your $99 cash back offer for an extended 2 year warranty? (making it a 5 year warranty in total)

Tom

Just spoke to Acer support.

Guy was nice enough and listened to me complain.

Said take it back and get a new one from officeworks and test it before I take it home, which is what I plan to do tonight.

Cheers

Gurty

I'm with you Bill, I brought mine in Tassie at Office works and I can't fault it. ONLY exception is the clay face issue when watching DVD's through a composit RCA connection from my old xbox, but this will no doubt be resolved with Component connections...

Also anyone else get the trade in your $99 cash back offer for an extended 2 year warranty? (making it a 5 year warranty in total)

Tom

Not Worth it.. after 3year its time to upgrade to 50inch 1080i lcd ... only $800.00

POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO HUMMING NOISE:

Get In-line Isolator from jaycar, getting rid of hum due to grounding issue???

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...&hl=humming

Hi, I also returned my Acer to office works, absolute rubbish if you ask me, very greenish &

yellowish picture, also very dark, i stuffed around with all the settings....but that made no difference, as for the humming, it was ever present hhhhhmmmmhhhhhmmm got to love it

new tv for $800 with issuse...i also had 4 Aiko that i returned to big W, i ended up with a

LG 32LC2R very happy $1250 from the good guys with three year warranty...i have finally found

the correct LCD for ME!!!

I should have purchased the LG straight away i have been returning tv's for 4 months now....

what a waste of time, only to save a couple of hundge not worth it believe me..

bulberry

Bill

Congratulations Bill,

Looks like both you and Tom have a good unit. I will be contacting Acer Service Centre in the next day or two to register my humming complaint and possible solution. I too was offered the extra two years warranty but will take the cash thank you very much (thats if i can sort out this problem ha ha)

Billie