Acer At3220b

I just got my set back yesterday, after it was picked up on Tuesday of last week. Have to say I'm very happy as the 'hum' is gone and it was very well packed, just like Brad31's. My friend who owns one just kept swapping with OfficeWorks until he got one that didn't hum, I was thinking that I should have done that, but now I'm happy that I didn't as I got the extra year warranty too. Good luck to all the others who are waiting, it will be worth it.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my set back yesterday, after it was picked up on Tuesday of last week. Have to say I'm very happy as the 'hum' is gone and it was very well packed, just like Brad31's. My friend who owns one just kept swapping with OfficeWorks until he got one that didn't hum, I was thinking that I should have done that, but now I'm happy that I didn't as I got the extra year warranty too. Good luck to all the others who are waiting, it will be worth it.

Did they just firmware flash it, or do some hardware fixes? The firmware fix improved the hum on mine but definitely didn't fix it. Maybe I just got one with a genuine hardware problem.

Did they just firmware flash it, or do some hardware fixes? The firmware fix improved the hum on mine but definitely didn't fix it. Maybe I just got one with a genuine hardware problem.

I'm pretty sure they just flashed it.

Research Logs notes are as follows:

"Firmware updated.// Line 1: FRU Sub code = OT01 - SEE REMARK, Action Code - SE01 - REFLASH/RESET BIO"

The humming is definitely gone though, maybe you should ring and hassle them again?

I'm pretty sure they just flashed it.

Research Logs notes are as follows:

"Firmware updated.// Line 1: FRU Sub code = OT01 - SEE REMARK, Action Code - SE01 - REFLASH/RESET BIO"

The humming is definitely gone though, maybe you should ring and hassle them again?

Hah don't worry, man, I'm hassling them all the time. I rang today and they still don't have the ETA I requested on Monday.

To all the Acer At3220b owners who have had their firmware updated.

Is there any other benefit to getting the firmware updated other than fixing the "hum"?

For example, does the firmware update result in...

- less clayface

- blacker blacks

- any other improvements?

Also, would using a HDMI connection totally remove the clayface effect?

Bill

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "clayface". If you're talking about close-ups of faces, where different parts of the face appear to move at different rates across the screen, then I only experienced that when using composite in. Once I switched to s-video it appeared to go away completely. I don't know whether the firmware flashing changed that (still looked fine on s-video). I hook my dvd player up via HDMI and it looks fine. Note, however, that HDMI is apparently notorious for sync issues, and I experienced this with my Pioneer dvd player (490V) until Pioneer sent me a firmware flash cd which appears to have fixed that issue completely.

edit: blacks looked the same, buzzing changed, introduced sound drop-outs. I didn't notice any other benefits, but everyone who's done it seems to have got an extra year of warranty - that's gotta be good!

I think Ozbillo is talking about a tendency for plasma/lcd not resolving gradations of tone - making faces look flat and artificial - eg, David Tench - (which is why stores always show animated dvd's on LCD's - little variation in tone is required.)

I notice this when watching through the analogue tuner, but i just connected a thomson hd box with the Antique Road show on it. While this would never be 100% on an $800 32" LCD, there seemed to be a reasonable amount

variation in the skin tones to my eye at 2m.

You might try a better signal into the lcd to improve the picture.

cheers

fusion

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "clayface". If you're talking about close-ups of faces, where different parts of the face appear to move at different rates across the screen, then I only experienced that when using composite in.

Yep. That's what I mean by clay face.

I think Ozbillo is talking about a tendency for plasma/lcd not resolving gradations of tone - making faces look flat and artificial - eg, David Tench

That sounds like what I call clown face.

I notice this when watching through the analogue tuner, but i just connected a thomson hd box with the Antique Road show on it. While this would never be 100% on an $800 32" LCD, there seemed to be a reasonable amount

variation in the skin tones to my eye at 2m.

You might try a better signal into the lcd to improve the picture.

I'm sure that would help. I'm only using composite from a SD STB. I'm using component from the DVD player which is much better. I'm hoping HDMI will be better again.

What connection do you have to your HD box, Fusion?

Guest triptizine

I am using it via VGA

Black is black.

No Clayface.

No Hum.

It has been firmware flashed.. and I had Clayface before..

The issue i have now is i cant use two components at once (dvd and stb) them seem to interfer.

So the stb is on vga and it looks 10x better then component!

:blink::P:D

Yep. That's what I mean by clay face.

That sounds like what I call clown face.

I'm sure that would help. I'm only using composite from a SD STB. I'm using component from the DVD player which is much better. I'm hoping HDMI will be better again.

What connection do you have to your HD box, Fusion?

I have it connected by vga to the thomson hd, but it still looks pretty good via my teac pvr on component.

Glad we got the clay face bit solved too. :blink:

cheers

fusion

Got mine back today, all of a sudden after 1.5 weeks of no ETA. The power board was replaced. I have to say, it's made exactly zero difference. There is still a hum at start-up, but a few minutes later it drops away to nothing. I couldn't be bothered taking it any further.

re: clay face, when I first plugged it in (remember mine has already been flashed to latest firmware), clayface was evident on the composite connection. Switching to s-video solved this straight away.

I ended up getting rid of mine. 2 trips to the service centre without fixing the issue properly was just too much.

I bought a at3230b, which is very similar but includes a HD tuner and 2 x hdmi ports. For anyone interested, there are some other small differences. If you read the specs on the acer website, it says the 3230 is very slightly larger (1cm extra screen size apparently). I have also noticed the 3230 does not have some of the features the 3220 did, including the Acer "e" key thing and also picture-in-picture. I didn't use those so I don't miss them. My 3230 has no buzz/hum at all, which makes me happy. I also noticed that on my 3230 if I plug composite and s-video in at the same time on the same input (eg. AV1), there would be some conflict with a blurry picture and washed-out colours, which is different to how the 3220 worked. Finally, I think the power figures are slightly different, which is to be expected given the in-built HD tuner. Maybe this means there is a differently designed power circuit, hopefully with the hum issue designed out.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi folks

Does anyone know how to remove the stand off of these for wall bracket mounting?

There seems to be about 6 screws on the back. I have undone some of these but did not want to

undo the whole lot in case it all fell apart. The stand did not want to come off.

thanks

Fusion

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fast Eddie

Hi,

Ive noticed a few people ask this question but have not yet found a reply.

When using the PIP function the 2nd screen comes up as a blank blue screen with VGA in it. You can activate this screen but when you try and change it to a TV channel it just changes the main picture.

Has anyone been able to use this function on the AT3220B, or has someone had a similar problem and found a fix.

I presume the VGA is the PC connection so I'm guessing you can have your pc screen in one pip and a tv chanel in another.

Thanks,

• 2 months later...
Are these TVs still available??

I havent seen a AT3201W for some time, the big W sale cleared all stock at our local store in around 2 hours. I bought one and I am sorry I didnt buy 2. At the timefor $699 with a 3 year warranty they were the best value LCD around(even now they would be considered good value) . They make an awesome computer monitor also(Provided you like big writing). I have a Topfield TF700 set top box hooked up to mine and the pics very good for the $.