Acer At3220b

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone had any luck with 1:1 pixel mapping from a PC over the VGA input? Trying to set this one up for a friend, seems to be impossible.

Also his unit has the humming, it's terrible!

Works perfectly over dvi->vga and dvi->hdmi.. at native resolution. And my does not Humms on VGA and HDMI. But its bad on component.

Hoping to swap at a later stage cause i am pass the 7dayReturn and also i have cut out the SNID barcode.

I've got it running at 1360x768, and 1368x768, but the display still scales the input signal, so for example, a one pixel dot on the output signal doesn't take up one pixel on the actual LCD television - it is blurred.

I think i am runnig 1368x768 and its crystal clear... much better than my friends Pana Viera Plasma. But i am running DVI to VGA/HDMI, don't know if that matters.

I am using ATI 1900xt vid cards, playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R and watch dtv and surf the web... all look fine, texts is crystal clear.

Guest Hellar

First timer to this forum. I read through many of the comments on the Acer At3200B before purchasing one from officeworks on Friday night.

NO HUMMING. It sounds like I'm a lucky one, but I do know it was the second batch the outlet had recieved.

A couple of things do bother me

1. Can't get PIP<PBP<POP to work. Only lets the input to be VGA. Any one have a fix for this, it's all new to me.

2. The sound is pretty good until it occosionally 'dulls out'. Have only noticed this when playing a DVD, which is connected through the digital foxtel set box. I don't have a STB and the sound seems ok thru the inbuilt analogue tuner.

3. The picture seems to have a couple of layers that dont' move at the same pace. I notice it mostly on faces. - really off putting. I'm only connected with composite cables, is it true this will dissappear with a better connection-composite or better?

Anyone help me with these above or reply with the Acer support number would be great. Even though this unit was cheap for a 32 LCD it is still alot of savings and of course would still love it to be good value - I hate buying crap and bad design is such a waste of effort

Guest Hellar
Also has anyone used the PIP (Picture in Picture) ?

I cannot get it to work just wondering ifs its me and not the set? :blink:

Cheers

me too. Only wants to show VGA and won't change to AV<TV or any thing else.

First timer to this forum. I read through many of the comments on the Acer At3200B before purchasing one from officeworks on Friday night.

NO HUMMING. It sounds like I'm a lucky one, but I do know it was the second batch the outlet had recieved.

A couple of things do bother me

1. Can't get PIP<PBP<POP to work. Only lets the input to be VGA. Any one have a fix for this, it's all new to me.

2. The sound is pretty good until it occosionally 'dulls out'. Have only noticed this when playing a DVD, which is connected through the digital foxtel set box. I don't have a STB and the sound seems ok thru the inbuilt analogue tuner.

3. The picture seems to have a couple of layers that dont' move at the same pace. I notice it mostly on faces. - really off putting. I'm only connected with composite cables, is it true this will dissappear with a better connection-composite or better?

Anyone help me with these above or reply with the Acer support number would be great. Even though this unit was cheap for a 32 LCD it is still alot of savings and of course would still love it to be good value - I hate buying crap and bad design is such a waste of effort

re: point 3, I had this issue too until I changed my STB from composite to s-video and now it looks fine.

I am a Mac Techinican that has set up a number of home entertainment system in the past year, especially with customers using Sony Bravia 1080p's and Mac Mini's.

I have been researching the past few months into replacing my 15 year old tv and when I saw the Office Works ad I quickly checked the wholesale price to find them just under $1200 so it seemed like a bargin.

So much as a bargin we bought 2 for the store to demo the new Apple TV and a friend also picked up one.

The Office store here only gone 6 in, and we bought 4 of them.

We have them all hooked up using DVI/HDMI with mac mini's using eyetv's and the picture quality is great. They instanly picked the right resolution with no under/over scanning ( can't say that for some models out there, especially Sony's )

Mine at home is hooked up to Foxtel ( S Video ) using their sucky 14:9 ratio so the picture is a bit out, but the colour and black levels can't be faulted.I have the system hooked up to a Denon 1507 AV receiver and speakers that I picked earier this year for $999 ( again another great bargin ). DVD is Component, Mac again DVI/HDMI with optical to the Av receiver.

All in all the whole set up was under 2k.

Well its good to know that I am not hearing things. I have a hummer too. The two for our store as well, and my friend's is a hummers.

Are we going to return any of them... HEL NO

Seriously at that price if they last their 3 years its a great buy.

With Black Hawk Down on 7.2 surround sound or The Wiggles for my daughter we can't hear the hum.. only when the house is quiet and I am turning things off ( the TV being the last thing ) can I actually hear the hum.

Howdy there. While the hum wasn't bothering me, I decided to enquire and see what Acer's response would be. I put in the web form support enquiry and they responded saying it was a firmware issue and I should call the support number. I did so and they arranged for pick-up and return via courier, plus offered me a free 1 year warranty uplift. Pretty good service so far. The courier is due to come today to pick the set up. Unfortunately it has to go to some place in NSW for repair, but I'm hoping to have it back within a couple of weeks. Bit of a shame they couldn't send a tech out to do a firmware upgrade on site, or even allow user firmware upgrades, but at least they're offering to fix it at their expense. Will report back when the set returns.

Mudhoney, We decided to call Acer about ours (low level humming), as we didn't want to run the risk of playing 'musical chairs' with buying and returning multilple sets with Office works. In the end we decided it wasn't worth the time, fuel and cost, shuttling back and forth to try and get a perfect one, and the one we have has pretty even backlighting (we've seen much worse backlighting) and no dead or lit pixels (which we feel is more important).

We rang Acer and got told the issue can be fixed via a firmware flash, and we got the same 1 year extra warranty deal (they just offered us this exta warranty straight of the bat), and the option to have the set picked-up and the firmware flashed, or we could wait a little longer and they will do the firmware in house - (which means we can keep the set at home - of course we have other sets here but at least Acer gave us the option).

The guy we dealt with at Acer was very apologetic and very easy to deal with. Hopefully, the firmware fix works properly (I hope it doesn't just increase the default volume level to mask the humming earlier (ie. the original volume level 5, becomes level 10 etc), the guy at acer said it absolutely fixes the problem. We'll post back on this thread whether the firmware fix works - hopefully you, and anyone else who has this done will do the same.

We rang Acer and got told the issue can be fixed via a firmware flash, and we got the same 1 year extra warranty deal (they just offered us this exta warranty straight of the bat), and the option to have the set picked-up and the firmware flashed, or we could wait a little longer and they will do the firmware in house - (which means we can keep the set at home - of course we have other sets here but at least Acer gave us the option).

The guy we dealt with at Acer was very apologetic and very easy to deal with. Hopefully, the firmware fix works properly (I hope it doesn't just increase the default volume level to mask the humming earlier (ie. the original volume level 5, becomes level 10 etc), the guy at acer said it absolutely fixes the problem. We'll post back on this thread whether the firmware fix works - hopefully you, and anyone else who has this done will do the same.

Hey that's great - I wish they'd offered me on-site firmware upgrade, but I can live with having to ship it away for a week or two. A bit depressing to go back to the old 21" CRT for a couple of weeks, but I'll definitely appreciate the LCD when it comes back! I was also very happy with the picture on mine.

Is this right?

I've got an LG DV7711P dvd player that plays NTSC dvds fine on my very old Panasonic 21 inch TV.

If I get a new Acer AT3220B LCD TV will I be able to play NTSC dvds?

This is an urgent question as an OfficeWorks sale starts on Thursday 22 March 2007 with the Acer AT3220B for $799 after cashback.

Bill

Guys, you just set your DVD player to output everything in PAL!

Just a few notes about my experience with one of these TV’s:

I bought one at Officeworks two weeks ago. I normally hate LCD’s. I think my biggest problem with them is that they don’t reproduce colours accurately, especially skin tones (clayface, clownface, etc). I also think that the reds and greens are too bright in every model I’ve seen (Sony Bravias included).

At least, that was, until I saw this Acer.

To be honest, I was only considering this TV due to the $799 price after cash-back. I wanted a second TV for the bedroom (I have a 42” HD plasma in the lounge). I deliberately took in a few DVD’s to check for the problems I listed above, including Spiderman (to check for retina-burning reds) and Terminator 2 (for the THX test programme, and also to check the contrast in dark scenes). I had the salesman hook up a Vista PC through the VGA connector, then sat back for the next 20 minutes checking out the picture quality.

Considering that I’m a huge plasma fan and hate LCD’s (at least those available at the moment), I was very impressed. The skin tones were the best I had ever seen on an LCD and the reds and greens were natural-looking. The contrast was a little low for particularly dark scenes, but was good enough for use as a second TV.

I decided to buy one.

I took it straight home and had a play with another few movies that I thought would show up any potential problems. Boy, am I glad I did!

I first put in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. I thought this would show a good range of bright scenes and dark scenes. The really bright scenes (sailing on the ocean in bright daylight) tended to be a bit too bright when I had the settings set for a good level in the darker scenes, but was tolerable. I was feeling very happy with my purchase until I whacked Underworld into the DVD player. The contrast between Kate Beckinsale’s alabaster skin and the black leather and dark backgrounds proved too much for the Acer. I immediately saw the worst ghosting I’ve ever seen. Two scenes in particular were enough to make me decide to pack it back up and take it straight beck for a refund: Chapter 5, (24min, 55sec) – When Selene (Kate Beckinsale) slams her hand against the elevator door as it closes, a white after-image is left behind as the movie cuts to a shot inside the elevator; and Chapter 5, (27min, 53sec) – Lucian has just stabbed Selene in the shoulder as she drives away in a car. They cut to a close shot of Selene’s face. As she lifts her head, there is a GREEN after-image of Kate’s fringe left behind on her forehead.

I strongly suspect that this is due to the 8ms response time of the Acer, but I’m not 100% sure. I tried these scenes on my two laptops (one I own, the other is a loaner laptop from work) and my plasma TV. None of these showed any sign of ghosting. I wouldn’t have thought that the laptops would have had a faster response time that the Acer since laptops are usually only used for word processing and spreadsheets. I’ve only ever heard of ghosting due to a slow response time, however, so this leads me to think that this is the problem.

I then went through all of the TV catalogues I had and was shocked to discover that ALL of the LCD’s were 8ms, even the most expensive name-brand models! Given that about 95% of all current model LCD computer screens have a response time under 8ms, I can’t understand why the TV manufacturers are still making 8ms screens. The only reason I can think of is that they are trying to save a little money…

I guess I’ll be waiting for the next generation of LCD’s before trying one again.

- Mav

PS - I did notice a hum from the TV, but only in dead-silent room with my breath held and my head about 5cm from the screen. I wouldn't say it was a problem at all. Maybe the TV I had didn't have the problem people have been talking about?

Mudhoney, We decided to call Acer about ours (low level humming), as we didn't want to run the risk of playing 'musical chairs' with buying and returning multilple sets with Office works. In the end we decided it wasn't worth the time, fuel and cost, shuttling back and forth to try and get a perfect one, and the one we have has pretty even backlighting (we've seen much worse backlighting) and no dead or lit pixels (which we feel is more important).

Hi all,

First time poster here!

This is great news that Acer is offering to do the firmware fix in-house, as I too picked up one of these AT3220B LCD's from Officeworks a few weeks ago.

My set suffers from the humming also, which is only really noticable with low volume level TV viewing, but annoying none the less. Esspecially seeing as though this tv is in my tiny bedroom :blink:

I dont use the speakers from the tv at all, I much prefer to run the sound through my JVC 5.1 channel home theatre setup. The most annoying factor is that the humming is still present even on 0 volume!

I'm happy that Acer are addressing this minor problem as it's a great TV.

I'll be ringing Acer soon to arrange some in-house problem fixing.

Cheers, Brad.

Well my set was returned via courier to my home today. I was pretty surprised by the quick turnaround (picked up the Thursday before Easter). There was a slip inside the box saying the firmware had been updated. I hooked the set up and the buzz seemed exactly the same (volume turned down to zero) - not happy. But I then watched the news on my STB and checked again - buzz now seemed a lot quieter. It seems to have settled at this level now but I'll continue to observe. I basically have to have my head nearly pressed up against the speaker to perceive any buzz with the STB on. With all components except the Acer turned off, there is no buzz at all - zero.

So it certainly seems to have reduced the problem, if not eliminated it.

Guest jarrydbj
Hi all

Been researching these forums for some time and have found lots of useful info. Now I've registered and this is my first post.

I'm looking to purchase my first lcd tv and want to buy something priced mid range. I'm looking at the new range of Acer lcd's, in particular the AT3220B. I won't be doing any gaming - just want to use it as a tv. In the meantime I have a couple of standard def stb (of which I'll use one).

I've done a google search and found pricing info, but no reviews (I guess it's a fairly new model). And I've found info on the AT3201W on these forums, which overall seems like a good unit from what I've read.

So overall, what's the general concensus on Acer? And, more importantly, does anyone know anything about these new models? They're selling for between $1,350 and $1,599 which seems like a reasonable price for a 32inch.

Would appreciate any opinions or information.

Thanks

I boght this lcd tv yesterday and connected it and have the humming noise. Emailed Acer and will hopefully get a reponse from them. Bought it from Officeworks and i rang them this afternoon and they advise me they know of the problem and have received an email from ACER advising that customers ring the tech support and they will send a technician out and fix the peoblem. I will do this tomorrow and keep you all informed. I live over 100 Kms from Melbourne so this will be an interesting exercise.

Edited by jarrydbj

I boght this lcd tv yesterday and connected it and have the humming noise. Emailed Acer and will hopefully get a reponse from them. Bought it from Officeworks and i rang them this afternoon and they advise me they know of the problem and have received an email from ACER advising that customers ring the tech support and they will send a technician out and fix the peoblem. I will do this tomorrow and keep you all informed. I live over 100 Kms from Melbourne so this will be an interesting exercise.

I have heard that due to the number of people calling with this issue, Acer no longer offer to send a tech out anymore.

Instead, they will pay for it to be couriered to them for the fix.

I have heard that due to the number of people calling with this issue, Acer no longer offer to send a tech out anymore.

Instead, they will pay for it to be couriered to them for the fix.

Got through to ACER this morning,

I live over 100kms south of Melbourne but was still offered an on-site tech to come out, but apparently they can only send Techs out if you live within 50kms.

Still they are organising a courier to pick the set up and is going to Sth Melbourne to have the firmware updated.

Mudhoney, did ACER advise you with an exact time & date when the courier was coming to collect the unit?

With any luck the guy I was speaking to at Acer will ring back with a confirmation, because he only told me it would be picked up this week sometime.

And as I work in the city everyday I dont fancy waiting around at home everyday for the bloody courier :blink:

Cheers,

Brad>

Edited by Brad31

Got through to ACER this morning,

I live over 100kms south of Melbourne but was still offered an on-site tech to come out, but apparently they can only send Techs out if you live within 50kms.

Still they are organising a courier to pick the set up and is going to Sth Melbourne to have the firmware updated.

Mudhoney, did ACER advise you with an exact time & date when the courier was coming to collect the unit?

With any luck the guy I was speaking to at Acer will ring back with a confirmation, because he only told me it would be picked up this week sometime.

And as I work in the city everyday I dont fancy waiting around at home everyday for the bloody courier :blink:

Cheers,

Brad>

Brad,

Actually the courier part was a bit of pain - they only operate 9 to 5 weekdays, which is a pain when both me and my wife work. Even worse, they can't even give you an approximate time - just a day on which they will arrive. When they (courier company) called I asked them to call me 30 mins before they were coming. They didn't call at all when the set was returned but fortunately by pure coincidence someone was home at the time. If I were you I'd see if I can get the contact number of the driver and phone him to see if you can get a better idea of the pick-up time.

I bought one of these TV's in early April, also suffer from the humming problem. I assumed that it could be fixed on site, but apparently it needs to be couriered even though I only live about 40kms from South Melbourne. The guy I dealt with on the phone was polite and also offered me an extra 12 months warranty, I'm not happy that the TV has to go, but all in all pretty good customer service.

I queried the tech on why the pick up policy had changed, he made up some excuse about extra parts possibly required once the firmware upgrade was done. Probably BS, but I can't do much about it.

Will be hoping like hell that the hum is gone when I get it back.

Brad,

Actually the courier part was a bit of pain - they only operate 9 to 5 weekdays, which is a pain when both me and my wife work. Even worse, they can't even give you an approximate time - just a day on which they will arrive. When they (courier company) called I asked them to call me 30 mins before they were coming. They didn't call at all when the set was returned but fortunately by pure coincidence someone was home at the time. If I were you I'd see if I can get the contact number of the driver and phone him to see if you can get a better idea of the pick-up time.

Thanks Mudhoney.

Well Acer hasn't called back so I've sent through a reply to customer service.

There courier service must be pretty routine so I'd say I'll get an answer of somesort as to what I need to do.

Luckily I still have the original box it came in, but I'll be damned if I'm leaving the TV by the front door for the courier to pick it up!!

If they supply me with a day for pickup atleast I can hang around at home for awhile until they arrive.

Will definetely get the drivers ph number so I know when there returning it. :blink:

Brad>

I bought one of these TV's in early April, also suffer from the humming problem. I assumed that it could be fixed on site, but apparently it needs to be couriered even though I only live about 40kms from South Melbourne. The guy I dealt with on the phone was polite and also offered me an extra 12 months warranty, I'm not happy that the TV has to go, but all in all pretty good customer service.

I queried the tech on why the pick up policy had changed, he made up some excuse about extra parts possibly required once the firmware upgrade was done. Probably BS, but I can't do much about it.

Will be hoping like hell that the hum is gone when I get it back.

Will be interested to hear what other people experience when they get theirs back. As per my earlier reply, mine still buzzes when first powered up but it diminishes while the set is running. Typical power-up sequence for me:

1. turn Acer on - no buzzing yet

2. turn DVD player on (HDMI connected) - buzzing starts when player boots but before content starts playing

3. a few seconds of delay before content loads - buzzing audible

4. content starts - buzzing not audible over content

My wife reckons the buzzing is now louder than it used to be at the start, but I'm not sure about that. It would seem the new firmware might be somehow draining some current from a capacitor or circuit that was causing the buzz, but this may take some time to discharge. I would say it's not a proper fix but I can live with it.

Hmmmm interesting........

Well I'll let you know as soon as I receive my unit back what it's like.

Update: Received a reply re: courier pickup.

Apparently either the courier company or the repair centre will ring me before pickup.

I just hope they can provide addequate time for me to pack the TV back in it's box.

Hopefully I can get an approx timeframe from them too.

Cheers,

Brad>