Acer At3220b

Well, I am on my second of these units and both have the hum. You folks must be "nobody" because according to the Keswick officeworks in SA, nobody else who has complained about this problem with the LCD.

This one is going back too, as I can't stand the humming. I think the standard ACER are using when they claim it is within tolerances is that for motor vehicle exhaust noise, somebody should tell them that there are different standards for home electronics!!! Actually, ACER admitted to me that the problem was a fault, makes you wonder about their quality control therefore that so many units have the same problem.

Fusion

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am on my second of these units and both have the hum. You folks must be "nobody" because according to the Keswick officeworks in SA, nobody else who has complained about this problem with the LCD.

This one is going back too, as I can't stand the humming. I think the standard ACER are using when they claim it is within tolerances is that for motor vehicle exhaust noise, somebody should tell them that there are different standards for home electronics!!! Actually, ACER admitted to me that the problem was a fault, makes you wonder about their quality control therefore that so many units have the same problem.

Fusion

Mate go buy a LG, Samsung, Panasonic...you get my drift..you may pay 2-3 hundred more...but

no bullshit like these cheaper Lcd's..

goodluck

bulberry

Took my Acer back to Officeworks.

Spoke to the manager, said I was the first to bring it back.

We open another one and tried it, same hum.

Had a look at the display model and it had no hum. According to the manager it came in a few days earlier so it's probably not from the same batch. He was going to give me that one but couldn't find the box. Said there is more coming in on Thursday so I'm going to go back and check again in store before I take it home.

Cheers

Gurty

My Acer 32" Saga:

Bought one Sunday morning - had dead pixel. Replace with a unit at another store as the store I bought from were out of stock.

Had some fun with it but then the stupid hum became unbearable (sitting <1m from TV).

Returned/refunded this morning.

It was a really good screen - displayed my PS3 and PC very well but I couldn't overlook (overhear more like it) the stupid hum.

Just out of curiosity what sort of sound is the hum...

Is it a lower pitched humming sound (like a person humming), or a higher pitched whistling / squealing type sound?

I may go in to have a look at a store model to see (hear) for myself.

Hi, I also returned my Acer to office works, absolute rubbish if you ask me, very greenish &

yellowish picture, also very dark, i stuffed around with all the settings....but that made no difference, as for the humming, it was ever present hhhhhmmmmhhhhhmmm got to love it

new tv for $800 with issuse...i also had 4 Aiko that i returned to big W, i ended up with a

LG 32LC2R very happy $1250 from the good guys with three year warranty...i have finally found

the correct LCD for ME!!!

I should have purchased the LG straight away i have been returning tv's for 4 months now....

what a waste of time, only to save a couple of hundge not worth it believe me..

bulberry

hey mate

which good guys did you go to?

Guest l6a6w6s6

Got one of these last week and also have the hum. That is something I can live with though, the other issues that are annoying me are:

1. Video mode keeps on defaulting to 16:9 instead of 4:3 when I run my VCR tuner into it.

2. PIP doesn't really work, i can only have VGA input for the second picture. I at least want to be able to switch between inbuilt tuner television and AV input.

3. The big one for me: No audio output, making a mess of how I run everything to my amp. Only running a single AV input to the TV from the amp instead of the TV receiving all my my AV inputs (PS2, PC RCA and DVD) and outputting a single signal to the amp for audio. Any suggestions for getting around this would be greatly appreciated.

I would return the tv and get something else but we've already set off the cashback claim thinking we might not get around to it in time otherwise. :blink:

Got one of these last week and also have the hum. That is something I can live with though, the other issues that are annoying me are:

1. Video mode keeps on defaulting to 16:9 instead of 4:3 when I run my VCR tuner into it.

2. PIP doesn't really work, i can only have VGA input for the second picture. I at least want to be able to switch between inbuilt tuner television and AV input.

3. The big one for me: No audio output, making a mess of how I run everything to my amp. Only running a single AV input to the TV from the amp instead of the TV receiving all my my AV inputs (PS2, PC RCA and DVD) and outputting a single signal to the amp for audio. Any suggestions for getting around this would be greatly appreciated.

I would return the tv and get something else but we've already set off the cashback claim thinking we might not get around to it in time otherwise. :blink:

This post is correct all of the above issues are real (in my case at least anyway).

Thanks to whoever it was that posted the default movie contrast setting, however I will not need it as I also returned my set (second one after exchanging the first), today.

I could not get past the above issues unfortunately.

Officeworks have been great throughout the whole ordeal. The store I returned mine to yesterday said that they had had numerous units returned due to the hum issue, not sure how many but more than 4 and they originally only had 7 in stock! (could have been all of them!).

They mentioned that they had requested new batches in the hope they would be ok but they were worse (also had screen issues - didn't elaborate further).

I told them that I think ACER is trying to drop the price incredibly low due to the known issue and hope that therefore the customers just accept it, and they agreed saying they had informed thier buyer not to purchase anymore of them (Basically told them ACER was making them look bad and they agreed).

I agree with an earlier post that no one should accept these faults it definately sends the wrong message to the manufacturer, hopefully between the customer and store feedback they get the message, but I doubt it.

Cheers

Craig

p.s. Congratulations to the two guys that got good units!!!

Having seen the deal at Officeworks and reading all the posts, a friend and I went to an Officeworks store in Perth and checked out the hum issue. The display unit showed no sign of it and so we bought one each. Both are hum free, though my remote doesn't work on all the buttons (Mute and Component especially). I haven't had a chance to test the other issues raised, but at a basic level the set seems fine and provides a good picture with a cheapo HD STB (via the HDMI port).

I bought one and I intend to keep it.

1. Image quality - looks great to me. Several times I have stopped while walking past to appreciate the great picture. Admittedly I haven't compared it side-by-side to other sets, but it looks absolutely fine to me. I can't detect the colour being "off" in any particular direction.

2. the hum. Well I think my set has it but it's a non-issue for me. As long as I'm not within 2 feet of the set, I simply can't hear it.

3. video mode seems to default to the right thing with my STB (s-video) and dvd player (HDMI)

4. PIP - don't care, would never use it.

5. no audio output. This is a very good point and is a definite annoyance. The inbuilt speakers are pretty tinny and I wanted to fill out the bass a bit with an external sub-woofer or other powered speakers, but this may not be an option now.

In all, I'm happy with the set for $799. It seems the big brand sets cost at least another $450 or so for 32" LCD, which is a fair price hike to fix some issues which either don't exist or are quite minor to me. Just my point-of-view.

Picked up my 3rd Acer last night, this one apparently from a new batch.

No humming and picture looks great. Will give it the weekend before I decide if I'm going to keep it.

Now all I need is a new graphics card in my MCE machine so it can run the thing a little smoother.

Cheers

Gurty

Well done.

For me - even without the hums, I would still leave it behind.

The main reason for our purchase was to replace the old CRT which starts to have it's colour play up. Given this unit tend to be a bit distorted in colour when view in an angle, I would rather not getting it as it is like paying the money for something similar than what we've already got (colour problem).

Guess what you pay is what you get, and my expectation was set too high for this unit.

Picked up my 3rd Acer last night, this one apparently from a new batch.

No humming and picture looks great. Will give it the weekend before I decide if I'm going to keep it.

Now all I need is a new graphics card in my MCE machine so it can run the thing a little smoother.

Cheers

Gurty

Gurty,

My wife talked me into swapping my second unit, I must say that I was very apprehensive, but boy I sure am glad I did. They say third time lucky and it was for us, Quiet as a church mouse with no hum, Hooray, no problems at all, would have been nice to have an earphone jack, but hey! I'm not complaining, the picture quality is absolutely first class, the skin tones so natural. My sister who lives in country NSW also swapped her "hummer" over with a hum free unit. We are all so very happy. There are some good ones out there, Hurry up and grab one of these bargains if you can.

Billie

Gurty,

My wife talked me into swapping my second unit, I must say that I was very apprehensive, but boy I sure am glad I did. They say third time lucky and it was for us, Quiet as a church mouse with no hum, Hooray, no problems at all, would have been nice to have an earphone jack, but hey! I'm not complaining, the picture quality is absolutely first class, the skin tones so natural. My sister who lives in country NSW also swapped her "hummer" over with a hum free unit. We are all so very happy. There are some good ones out there, Hurry up and grab one of these bargains if you can.

Billie

Oops.. I have cut out the SNID barcode from the box and posted to AcercashBack... do you think OfficeWorks will do an exchange for me...

Well, after two duds (humming birds) I got one of these which works perfectly.

Very happy with this lcd, amazed how things change that it is now possible to buy a good performing 32"

lcd for only $800!! I have only seen no-brand 500:1 CR anywhere near this price, but this definitely a watchable tv if you are prepared to go through a few to get past the hummers (which are probably not a major problem, but poor of ACER to let so many go out like this).

Fusion

Can anyone who has had a 'hummer' let me know at what volume level you could still hear the humming at? And secondly at what distance you could hear it from the set? I'm pretty sure I can hear the hum at volume 4 to 5 and below from a couple of feet from the set (or easily when listening with my head at the lower right corner of the set - but who's going to sit there :blink: ).

The set we have has no dead or stuck pixels but I am not overly happy about the noise (however minor it may be) and can understand how others say it is not really acceptable no matter how 'minor' it may be (especially when acer say it's acceptable).

Can anyone who has had a 'hummer' let me know at what volume level you could still hear the humming at? And secondly at what distance you could hear it from the set? I'm pretty sure I can hear the hum at volume 4 to 5 and below from a couple of feet from the set (or easily when listening with my head at the lower right corner of the set - but who's going to sit there :blink: ).

The set we have has no dead or stuck pixels but I am not overly happy about the noise (however minor it may be) and can understand how others say it is not really acceptable no matter how 'minor' it may be (especially when acer say it's acceptable).

Hi there,

My set I could still just hear the hum at volume 20-22 from about 2-3 meters over the tv! (could easily hear it constantly over the tv at volume 15), lol gives you an idea of why I returned it in the end, however I don't know if other units were as bad as mine?

Trust me if you have a set like I had you would be POSITIVE that you could hear it. However they are not the same sets and we do not have the same ears so I guess you have to be happy thats all that counts.

From what you describe you could be hearing something like fan operation noise even? ( I assume there are cooling fans on some of the driving/processing circuits?)

I wish I hadn't read the latest posts as now I am undecided whether or not to tempt fate again and pick up a third unit... how sad...

craig

One of the most annoying factor with the hummers is the humming noise won't go away unless the unit is muted - but there's no way of getting rid of the dreaded mute logo from the screen.

The unit I returned was noticeable when volume is set from 10 and below. Even at 3 meters away from the unit.

Merkeva,

From your comments it appears your unit is less of a problem than most other "hummers" out there. On my previous two units, I could hear the hum from two metres away up to volume 15 or so, although if you are aware of this sound issue, most people then become more acute to the problem.

I liked Fusion's explanation with the mute on and mute off test, try it and see how you go.

My advice is to exchange the unit, you will have to probably send in the replacement units SNID to claim the cashback, but if you keep your original receipt this should not be a problem, although check with Acer beforehand.

Billie