Panasonic 60a Plasma + Oppo Dv971h Dvd Upscaler

Hi guys,

I have a Panasonic 50-Inch 60A, which you will know has 2 x HDMI and 1 x PC Input. From a lot of the reviews I have read and feedback here, the Oppo Digital DV971H DVD seems like the better of the two Oppo Players.

1. I know the DV-970HD outputs in HDMI but if I was to get the DV971H how can I hook it up?

(I have a few spare DVI-PC adapters from various pc video cards - can I use one of those and run the DV971H through the PC port on the Panasonic 60A? Are there any issues in doing this which would be negative? I know you can output in Component from the DV971H but with Nintendo Wii on the horizon and having Foxtel via Component I'd like to not use Component if possible.)

2. Where can I get a DV971H in Brisbane, Queensland?

(I am prepared to order one direct from Oppo's website if needs be.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Just use a HDMI to DVI cable (a passive cable - nothing special, about $25 or thereabouts (don't get talked into so called special cables) and use either the coax or optical output of the Oppo for sound - it's what I've done with mine. There's no HDCP on the DVI output, so no hassles here either. And yes, order direct from OPPO - it's a no brainer and you won't be charged GST or import duties.

Edit: Actually, from memory, I think you get a free cable with your Oppo - you can choose between a DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI one, so you shouldn't have to buy one at all. :blink:

Actually is the following possible:

I have a 480p DVD player with Component output... but no free Component inputs on the Panasonic 50 Plasma (Foxtel and Nintendo Wii take up both).

CAN I GET THIS:

Component YUV to VGA Breakout Cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-ATLONA-VGA-TO-COM...VQQcmdZViewItem

Then run the DVD's component out to the Plamsa's VGA in - will it scale the 480p signal up to full screen or will it leave it at 1:1 pc input style and there will be a bucketload of black around a small image?

I have no real need for PC input on my Plasma, so at least that could solve the problem.

Actually is the following possible:

I have a 480p DVD player with Component output... but no free Component inputs on the Panasonic 50 Plasma (Foxtel and Nintendo Wii take up both).

CAN I GET THIS:

Component YUV to VGA Breakout Cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-ATLONA-VGA-TO-COM...VQQcmdZViewItem

Then run the DVD's component out to the Plamsa's VGA in - will it scale the 480p signal up to full screen or will it leave it at 1:1 pc input style and there will be a bucketload of black around a small image?

I have no real need for PC input on my Plasma, so at least that could solve the problem.

Anyone?