Sign in to follow this  
Yell@Me (formerly AUSTAR)

Do You Have A Question About Austar?

Just wondering how much it costs to get a transfer of address for Austar,

I don't think that it cost us anything. I can't remember. That said, if it was anything significant the Scottish in me would certainly have remembered it.

We moved two years ago.

Well I just moved and I was told on the phone all up (for being a loyal customer with the lot) that it was only going to cost me $45, and that included a tech who had to change the lnb and install a multiswitch. You can imagine my suprise when I got this months bill yesterday and it was $195 for the transfer. Im going to contest it, Im not going to let them get away with it

I've never seen this on our Panasonic SD plasma. I thought that burn in, as it is sometimes called, was mainly an issue with LCD displays. Maybe not.

Anyway, do you have the display up all the time? If so, why?

Having to zoom in pretty well stuffs up your viewing "pleasure" or "experience" too.

It is ruining my viewing pleasure. No, the display is not up all the time just when changing and viewing information just normal viewing and its not excessive.

Its still there now, hopefully I will be able to get rid of it.

Ok, i have austar connected to my DVD/PVR via S-Video and then from there to my Toshiba 37"LCD also via S-Video and the picture is a bit grainy and on the older channels like TV1 and Fox Classics it's a bit pixelated round the edges or moving objects, yet on FTA it is fine on HD or SD Channels.

Is there a better way to set it up? should I just skip the DVD/PVR and go straight to the LCD Screen via AV or S-Video? or should i use the composite connections from the DVD/PVR to the LCD Screen? as Austar only have AV or S-Video connections.

Any thoughts?

Well I just moved and I was told on the phone all up (for being a loyal customer with the lot) that it was only going to cost me $45, and that included a tech who had to change the lnb and install a multiswitch. You can imagine my suprise when I got this months bill yesterday and it was $195 for the transfer. Im going to contest it, Im not going to let them get away with it

I found the info sheet with all the prices and such and it seems the $195 or whatever is for the install of new gear (as in satellite n such), while a transfer is $45-$50, though if and when i move i'll have to ring up austar and see what they say.

First time user of forum and hope am doing correctly.

Blown hi fi

Austar reply / my letter.

Dear John

Thanks for your email and if there has been a delay in my responding, I apologise. I have taken the time to investigate your claim and in doing so have spoken with those who have previously advised you that we will not be responsible the damage you say has been caused by the AUSTAR Equipment. The Customer Agreement you entered into does state in part that we do not accept liability for any damage caused to your equipment which may occur using the AUSTAR TV service.

Subscription television is such that changes and updates are frequently delivered to our Equipment by satellite downloads and in the early ours of the morning when we have found there is minimal impact on viewing. We will continue to carry out this activity as this is an industry accepted practice.

Whilst I can understand this may be disappointing, we formally deny your claim for damage. If you remain dissatisfied, may we respectfully suggest you contact the Fair Trading Authority in your State or Territory: http://www.astra.org.au/content/pdf/codes/SNTAttachmentB.pdf

Regards

Ken Fountain

--Original Message--

Date: 28/07/2009 9:57:57 AM

To: ask@austar.com.au

Subject: damage claim

to: Austar Television

Att: Claims / Administration

Re: Damaged Audio Equipment

cc: Kearle & Co.

JV06A35

Account No: 29238054

Dear Sirs,

This is my 3rd or so attempt including written correspondence sent to your Gold Coast office some months ago in reference to damage caused to Hi Fi equipment as a direct result of your service connection.

As a loyal customer since your inception, I would appreciate a reply to this correspondence and a return telephone call to discuss this matter a a matter of priority.

My austar service as many would have, is connected through my Hi Fi equipment of which has been extensively damaged ( again ) due to your "early AM" re boot download.

Upon my recent early AM interstae flight preparations ( 3 Am or so ) and as always my austar service turned off by remote control, an extreme audio scream was experienced from equipment at the same time I noticed your re boot excersise was taking place on the television set.

Immediately thereafter all audio was lost as with a distinctive burning smell.

As for some background re this matter for your information, I have experienced the same fault to equipment twice before over the years at which time I had not aligned with your service rather than that of equipment / component failure etc.

On both occassions I have had equipment repaired at my own subsatncial cost and at a loss as to cause after the 1st event as the 2nd was only some months later.

After serious "run ins" with repairer after the first repair failure the issue seemed to have been solved, or as I tought until the last event.

The equipment whilst older in generation is a professional Rotel / VaF HI Fi audio system costing in excess o $25,000 some years ago.

Replacement of the same today is of the similar value.

Whilst there is some "satisfaction" in locating the cause of this failure in thew past the repair cost is not !

I am seeking immediate satisfaction re this last event as a direct fault of my Austar service and I would expect an urgent response in addressing this matter, especially considering past events and their assocaited costs, as I am sure you can appreciate.

Upon discussions with electronic technicians here in Cairns of which seem to have had many such cases recently it is clear that any uncontolled user re boot on your behalf over rides any "pre set" remote / set top box settings, and as many audio levels vary dramatically across austar channels the input of any direct raw feeds at un known levels will ultimately "spike" any system.

This issue MUST be made availble to users of Austar.

The Hi Fi system in question is fitted with professional anti spike power protection including power surge via satellite feed.

I have current written estimate to have equipment repaired ex professional establishement here in Cairns of which I will forward after your reply and discussions.

Regards

John Vivian

Austar's continual daily / nightly restarts of their equipment is more about keeping the bug ridden pieces of rubbish working than updates / changes. Not only that but the idiot firmware in the standard STBs appears to also respond to the trigger for the 'series link' update for the MyStars.

How hopeless can one organisation be?

The equipment whilst older in generation is a professional Rotel / VaF HI Fi audio system costing in excess o $25,000 some years ago.

Replacement of the same today is of the similar value.

Sorry dude, but you're an utter fool for paying that much for equipment that doesn't have input signal protection. Correctly designed equipment should be able to handle all input variables that could be expected on a signal feed line. Your expensive and inferior equipment clearly does not have adequate input protection as a result of poor design and testing and you have discovered the consequences. Much much cheaper amplifiers can handle the outputs from the Austar STB's without issue so you should take up your complaints with the manufacturer of your audio equipment since it is clearly not fit for purpose.

I also have my Austar gear attached to my home theatre system, and because of the same reboot issue every morning, we pull the plug on the whole lot every night now.

I hate to be a poor shift worker, right in the middle of a movie or whatever every night, and the reboot comes in...also not much use setting your pvr or video either, as it always boots back to 101 on our decoder.

Why oh why do these flippin idiots reboot there system during live interactive sport???????????????????

Woke at 4:40am to tape the soccer, i had to press red and choose the match press rec, go back to bed then wake up in the morn get ready for work check my recording and Austar rebooted 5 mins into the match grrrrrrrrrr the box goes to the match on fox1 not the match i want ****ing not happy.

Edited by sacka37

I am attempting to set up my TV, Austar & DVD recorder connections, to allow me to tape programs from Austar (or programs I reply from Mystar hard drive). I have a LG LCD TV, LG DVD recorder & standard Austar connection (not HD). If you could please tell me how I would set up connections to allow myself to record programs from Austar, it would be greatly appreciated. Especially considering that the Mystar is now becoming full and I need to clear up some space to record future programs.

Thank you in advance.

If you could please tell me how I would set up connections to allow myself to record programs from Austar, it would be greatly appreciated. Especially considering that the Mystar is now becoming full and I need to clear up some space to record future programs.

Should be able to connect Mystar output to TV as normal (lets assume AV1 on TV). Next connect output (playback) sockets of the DVD recorder to a different TV input (lets say AV2 on TV). Finally connect the Mystar output (either piggyback the connections, or use one of the other free output types) to the input (record) sockets on the DVD recorder.

Note that depending on the particular DVD recorder you may find that recording from Mystar will be affected by the Macrovision encryption that Austar apply to the playback off their hard disk. Some DVD recorders are ok but others complain. If that's the case you'll need a video stabiliser (in the video cable you run from the Mystar to the DVD recorder) to remove the encryption.

Edited by Swagman51