Do You Have A Question About Austar?

My son and his family have just moved into a rented house that has Austar and FTA outlets in nearly every room. One of the rooms has two outlets but neither of them are FTA and it happens to be the room that he wants as the kids playroom and he would like FTA in there.

There is two splitters high up on the outside wall next to each other, obviously one is Austar and the other for FTA. But there aren't enough cables coming of them for the number of outlets in the house, so we are hoping to juggle some of the cables to get FTA to this room. He doesn't plan to get Austar at this stage. Could there be an additional splitter up in the roof?

One interesting thing that I've never seen before is that the LNB has 3 cables off it. I have Mystar so I understand the 2 cable system but three cables??? Any suggestions?

He plans to get up in the roof on the weekend and follow the cables.

Just something extra, the cable from the FTA aerial goes directly to the splitter on the wall. Two of the cables from the Austar dish go directly to its splitter, the third cable disappears up into the roof.

Does any of this make sense??

Hi 'modified'

I guess all will be revealed when you trace the cables . The room that has two outlets in it may have been changed around by a previous DIY tenant

and one outlet may not be connected.

The 3 cables off the LNB could be accounted for if there has been two separate Austar systems , one system for multiple Mystar boxes in some rooms

which would use two cables from the LNB to a multiswitch then two cables to each of the rooms .The third cable from the LNB could be for a room that

only had a standard Austar box so the kids could watch their channels in their own room.Anything is possible in a rented house and you are just the next

ones to have ago to suit your needs.( The LNB probably is a 4 outlet one with one not used 'can't see from here ')

Happy crawling ! Tazzy.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LNB probably is a 4 outlet one with one not used 'can't see from here ')

Happy crawling ! Tazzy.

Thanks Tazzy,

I didn't know there was such a thing as a 3 outlet LNB let alone a 4 outlet.

As far as the crawling goes I will leave that to my 30 year old son!

Apparently the cabling was done by the previous tenant with full approval of the owner. I would like to talk to the previous tenant and get a wiring diagram on paper. Not just for my son but for any future tenants.

Here's a list of the outlets, lounge, bedroom 1, 2 & 3 have 3 outlet plates. The 3 outlets are 2 Austar and one FTA.

Bedroom 4 (now playroom) & kitchen have 2 outlets plates.The bedroom 4 outlet is all Austar while the kitchen is one Austar and one FTA.

Well put it this way, we are presuming the outlets that do not give a FTA signal are Austar connected!

Andrew

The LNB probably is a 4 outlet one with one not used 'can't see from here ')

Happy crawling ! Tazzy.

Thanks Tazzy,

I didn't know there was such a thing as a 3 outlet LNB let alone a 4 outlet.

As far as the crawling goes I will leave that to my 30 year old son!

Apparently the cabling was done by the previous tenant with full approval of the owner. I would like to talk to the previous tenant and get a wiring diagram on paper. Not just for my son but for any future tenants.

Here's a list of the outlets, lounge, bedroom 1, 2 & 3 have 3 outlet plates. The 3 outlets are 2 Austar and one FTA.

Bedroom 4 (now playroom) & kitchen have 2 outlets plates.The bedroom 4 outlet is all Austar while the kitchen is one Austar and one FTA.

Well put it this way, we are presuming the outlets that do not give a FTA signal are Austar connected!

Andrew

The 4 outlet LNB can be used for 4 standard AUSTAR receivers or 2 MYSTAR receivers as two cables are required for the different voltages up to the LNB

depending on whether the channel being watched at the time is horizontal or vertical polarised so the LNB will switch to suit.

There must be a Multiswitch in the cables to the rooms with the 3 connector plates at least.

The kitchen and bed 4 may be on the third cable from the LNB.

With 6 FTA tv outlets ,depending on where you are and how good the signals are at the outlets,there may be a masthead amplifier or distribution amp

in the system, particularly if the FTA is UHF and the cable runs are long.Usually the power plug pack that powers the amps gets taken by the tenants

when they take their stuff. If there is a power pack plugged in to a tv outlet it has to be turned on to fire up the FTA.That maybe something to

investigate if you have any FTA outlets that don't work or have poor signal.

Tazzy.

there may be a Masthead or Distribution amplifier in the

system , particularly if the FTA is UHF and the cable runs are long

• 2 weeks later...
The 4 outlet LNB can be used for 4 standard AUSTAR receivers or 2 MYSTAR receivers as two cables are required for the different voltages up to the LNB

depending on whether the channel being watched at the time is horizontal or vertical polarised so the LNB will switch to suit.

There must be a Multiswitch in the cables to the rooms with the 3 connector plates at least.

The kitchen and bed 4 may be on the third cable from the LNB.

With 6 FTA tv outlets ,depending on where you are and how good the signals are at the outlets,there may be a masthead amplifier or distribution amp

in the system, particularly if the FTA is UHF and the cable runs are long.Usually the power plug pack that powers the amps gets taken by the tenants

when they take their stuff. If there is a power pack plugged in to a tv outlet it has to be turned on to fire up the FTA.That maybe something to

investigate if you have any FTA outlets that don't work or have poor signal.

Tazzy.

there may be a Masthead or Distribution amplifier in the

system , particularly if the FTA is UHF and the cable runs are long

Yep the LNB is a 4 outlet.

We got up in the roof and on the roof and had a good look over the weekend. 2 of the cables from the LNB go direct to the playroom the other two as stated earlier go to a Sat splitter.

As he doesn't plan to get Sat TV and one of the bedrooms has a FTA socket that will never be used, I think the best solution is to run about 12meters of cable from the FTA splitter (using the outlet that will not be used) to the Sat dish and connect it to one of the cables going to the playroom.

This way when they move from this house it is only a matter of removing a cable that is under the verandah and lying on the roof.

Hopefully this will solve the problems

Andrew