Sign in to follow this  
Yell@Me (formerly AUSTAR)

Do You Have A Question About Austar?

I wonder if ozbrit realises that 'over-whelmingly' I didn't say anything at all about regional viewers living in cities or not. :blink: I wonder if ozbrit is thinking of 'remote' viewers, the people that live outside of the regional and capital city areas and consider themselves lucky to have TV at all.

As for the Gold Coast 'containing the most Austar subscribers on the planet' .. I guess that would work if the rest of the country suddenly vanished or no one else in an Austar coverage area actually subscribed, but that's not likely, is it? :unsure::huh: The GC may have the largest single concentration of Austar subscribers, but if the subscribers in the rest of the country were tallied up I suspect the GC would find itself on the lighter side of the scales.

Anyway, the point I made still stands. Regional viewers (living in cities or otherwise :lol:) on the most part can not receive 5.1 sound on their MyStar for FTA terrestrial transmissions, because AC3 simply isn't transmitted1 for their SD programming2 and the MyStar is not a HD capable receiver.

That Austar's retransmisson of SBS does not have AC3 audio is hardly surprising given that SBS itself does not transmit AC3 for any of its broadcasts, including its HD service. How SBS gets away with that is beyond me, as AFAIK AC3 is compulsory for Australian HD.

A question for capital city dwellers (that's non-regional viewers, ozbrit), do the commercial networks still transmit AC3 audio on their SD programming? I know they used to, but haven't paid enough attention to know if they still do.

1 excluding out of area coverage which is unavoidable in some areas

2 exception being ABC, although ABC has wound its AC3 back to 256k in regional QLD, I wonder if they'll eventually turn it off.

I wonder if ozbrit realises that 'over-whelmingly' I didn't say anything at all about regional viewers living in cities or not. :blink: I wonder if ozbrit is thinking of 'remote' viewers, the people that live outside of the regional and capital city areas and consider themselves lucky to have TV at all.

As for the Gold Coast 'containing the most Austar subscribers on the planet' .. I guess that would work if the rest of the country suddenly vanished or no one else in an Austar coverage area actually subscribed, but that's not likely, is it? :unsure::huh: The GC may have the largest single concentration of Austar subscribers, but if the subscribers in the rest of the country were tallied up I suspect the GC would find itself on the lighter side of the scales.

Anyway, the point I made still stands. Regional viewers (living in cities or otherwise :lol:) on the most part can not receive 5.1 sound on their MyStar for FTA terrestrial transmissions, because AC3 simply isn't transmitted1 for their SD programming2 and the MyStar is not a HD capable receiver.

That Austar's retransmisson of SBS does not have AC3 audio is hardly surprising given that SBS itself does not transmit AC3 for any of its broadcasts, including its HD service. How SBS gets away with that is beyond me, as AFAIK AC3 is compulsory for Australian HD.

A question for capital city dwellers (that's non-regional viewers, ozbrit), do the commercial networks still transmit AC3 audio on their SD programming? I know they used to, but haven't paid enough attention to know if they still do.

1 excluding out of area coverage which is unavoidable in some areas

2 exception being ABC, although ABC has wound its AC3 back to 256k in regional QLD, I wonder if they'll eventually turn it off.

You do love to gild the lily Dr.P I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. it was never my intention to claim that a majority of Austar viewers were on the Gold Coast. I obviouslydid not make myself clear enough. There are more Austar subscribers in the Gold Coast region than any other location on the planet. Hows that? I didn't even suggest that fta SD carried dolby 5.1 but thats not to say regional TV providers don't transmit in dolby digital. I know for a fact that NBN do to Northern Rivers and the Gold Coast. How do I know? I can receive them - Fact and nowhere have I stated that SBS are broadcasting in anything but PCM.

Now, I do accept I'm not up on all this stuff as you are Dr.P, but please don't re-invent the points I'm trying to put over. The third paragraph of your post seems to concur with what I'd been attempting to suggest before you intervened.

So to sum it all up.

A fair few of Austar subscribers can receive Dolby encoded transmissions on some channels via the fta tuner provided within their mystar box.

In answer to the Capital City viewers DrP and before you contradict me, this is for Brisbane at least and SD only, ABC - yes, ABC 2 -no, Channel 7 - no, channel 9 -yes, channel 10 -yes, SBS - no.

Apart from ABC & SBS they are all available on the mystar fta tuner for the Gold Coast region along with Prime, SC 10 and NBN.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by ozbrit

I know for a fact that NBN do to Northern Rivers and the Gold Coast.

And also the mid north coast :P

Edited by baristaben

Also the fta channels you get thru mystar are broadcasting with dolby.

That's the point I was ultimately addressing and the point I am making is that no, not all the channels (and depending on where you live, only one of the channels) transmits SD with AC3 audio, so saying that the [fta] channels you get through the mystar have AC3 audio is a wee bit misleading.

I do note that you have back-pedalled a bit in your later posts and corrected yourself so now only 'some' SD channels might have AC3 audio depending on where you live, which sounds about right.

Oh, see also my comment regarding out of area coverage. If the networks could prevent you from receiving those out of area broadcasts, they would.

I didn't even suggest that fta SD carried dolby 5.1 but thats not to say regional TV providers don't transmit in dolby digital.

Then what the heck was your post all about?? That's an unqualified statement that effectively says that the FTA channels potentially received via the MyStar's FTA tuner all have AC3 audio on the SD services. They don't, but that's ok because you've essentially accepted that later on, it just took a bit of prodding to get you there. :blush:

Fact and nowhere have I stated that SBS are broadcasting in anything but PCM.
The mystar fta tuners is blocked from picking up ABC, ABC2 or SBS as its already in the existing channel line up and thats mpeg.

True enough, you didn't actually state that SBS transmitted AC3, but by bundling it your posts regarding AC3 audio support for FTAs in the MyStar and in the light of the quote above, it sure seemed like you were implying SBS had AC3 audio. BTW its not PCM, its very much compressed - 192k MPEG L2 for SD, 224k MPEG L2 for 'HD'. PCM = raw uncompressed audio, what your STB might output to an amp via its digital audio connection when its fed with MPEG L2 audio.

Full marks for persistency Dr.P

So if you live in the Gold Coast region like many of us do you can expect AC3 DD audio on Showtime, Showcase, NBN, Channel 9 & Channel 10. But will only get AC3 DD on ABC on your own fta set top box. Next time I promise to be more specific :o)

So if you live in the Gold Coast region like many of us do you can expect AC3 DD audio on Showtime, Showcase, NBN, Channel 9 & Channel 10. But will only get AC3 DD on ABC on your own fta set top box. Next time I promise to be more specific :o)

Much better. Not least because GC population = ~500,000, rest of Austar viewing area... just a few, just a few. :lol:

Much better. Not least because GC population = ~500,000, rest of Austar viewing area... just a few, just a few. :lol:

Try again, the transmitter area goes west to Beaudesert and down to Northern NSW. So nearer ~ 700000 when all said and done. Quite considerable, considering.

I was talking about official population area. If however you want to get into transmission area rather than population area, Mackay QLD has a population area of about 80,000. The transmission area covers around 125,000 people. Similar large increases are seen for each city area up and down the QLD coast, let alone what's going on in other states. GC < the rest of Austar's coverage area no matter which way you cut it.

Well yes, I can only speak about what I'm receiving. The Gold Coast region where I am, does contain the most Austar subscribers on the planet and ironically today we to are only getting mpeg on SD broadcasts. The mystar fta tuners is blocked from picking up ABC, ABC2 or SBS as its already in the existing channel line up and thats mpeg. Good stuff!

I wonder DrP are you aware that regional Australians also live over-whelmingly in Cities? I know this probably contrary to what the term "regional" springs to in peoples minds? Do the good folk of Newcastle, Wollongong, Geelong etc also get only mpeg on their fta tuners?

I live just inland of Wollongong and neither SBS nor the ABC are blocked. We receive them as both satellite channels and free to air channels through the MyStar box.

I live just inland of Wollongong and neither SBS nor the ABC are blocked. We receive them as both satellite channels and free to air channels through the MyStar box.

Just out of Canberra here and we only get ABC and SBS on 102 and 104 on my Austar.

Just out of Canberra here and we only get ABC and SBS on 102 and 104 on my Austar.

When the box was installed we received no FTA channels as the wrong broadcast towers were enabled for our account. When I spoke with the technical assistance girl, she asked me geographically exactly where was our house. I told her and she then enabled reception from the surrounding transmission towers and we then received all the FTA channels. She made no mention of us not getting ABC or SBS both ways. I guess there isn't really any added advantage though.

Guys, just noting that I have quit my position at AUSTAR some time ago, near August 2007 so I won't be frequenting these forums anymore, at least not regularly.

Take care.

... or were you made redundant because thats about the time the article went out for a 'management restructure' and 33 redundancies in the company :-)

Hi all,

I have a quick question that some of you might be able to help me with. We are about to upgrade our TV and are looking at an LCD widescreen and a PVR with dual HD tuners. Our Austar box only seems to have an RF out connector on it, and our HDD recorder only RF in. Is it possible to connect Austar to a digital tuner via RF out -> RF in? Or is our only option to use AV out -> AV in? If so, what do people do with HD TVs that only have new connections, like component video or HDMI?

You can only use the AV inputs if you have a digital (DVB-t) receiver. The RF output from the Austar boxes are analogue. Your Austar box should have s-video and composite connectors.

You can only use the AV inputs if you have a digital (DVB-t) receiver. The RF output from the Austar boxes are analogue. Your Austar box should have s-video and composite connectors.

Slight correction there - your normal free to air TV should pass through both analogue AND digital through Mystar. However as DrP says, if you are talking about the extra modulated channel that is inserted by the Mystar which shows and plays out Austar, then that is definitely analogue RF modulation and not digital.

Component out is as close as you'll get to a good quality signal, but my belief is that it accentuates the flaws in Foxtel's "I am such a tighta** for bandwidth because we now have HD channels" crap quality MPEG encoding.

Foxtel should have improved the quality of existing channels rather than make everything that is on the platform crap and make their HD channels look great. I believe its a Foxtel ploy to:

a. Make everyone on Foxtel take up the HD IQ giving the perception that its a better product

b. Screw everyone else's business like Austar's who I have no doubt don't have much of a say as to how the platform is run.

Bit sad isn't it. But you all can continue praising Foxtel - but don't forget it is owned by News Ltd and Packer group so every aspect of the business would be a bit dodgy in one way or another. But those two companies suit each other because they have similar tactics.