• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All LNB's are one way are they not?????

The Transmitter is called the BUC.

NO

NOT POSSIBLE

Sat TV in this country is entirely a ONE WAY transmission. The lnb on your dish and your austar stb are designed for receiving ONLY. There is no transmit function to the lnb or the stb. As austar has chosen not to go with connecting the phone line function on their stbs then its impossible for them to receive ANY info from the box.

Here is a pic of my TWO WAY lnb so you can see the diference between a pay tv setup and two way setups

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5893/b3vn6.jpg

okay on the 12am show, fox sports is telling me that i can select any football game being played , by pressing the red button , so i press the red button and all i get is the fox sport news why is this?

Is this a foxtel can but poor old austar cannot

Yes Foxtel and Austar use different middleware (the software that controls the active applications). Basicly when Foxtel launched "digital" they upgraded all their customers boxes, Austar decided not to, as Sat was already digital anyway nothing really changed for them. But at the time the latest middleware platform worked on all the Foxtel STU's so Foxtel decided to go with it. Austar's STU's weren't powerful enough to run it so they had to use another system.

The problem comes when it comes time to write interactive applications as you have to make sure the application will work on the least powerful STU in operation. Foxtel have newer boxes so when they develop an application they can make it a lot more sophisticated because the least powerful STU they use is lightyears ahead of the least powerful Austar STU. The delay in getting viewers choice on Austar is because they are having to dumb down the application to make sure it will work on everybox on their platform.

Its a stupid situation because in the Active Control Room at Foxtel (Austar's active is controlled by Foxtel) they have to lauch and run two different services everytime an active application is in use. The Austar applications are always the first to crash.

Yes Foxtel and Austar use different middleware (the software that controls the active applications). Basicly when Foxtel launched "digital" they upgraded all their customers boxes, Austar decided not to, as Sat was already digital anyway nothing really changed for them. But at the time the latest middleware platform worked on all the Foxtel STU's so Foxtel decided to go with it. Austar's STU's weren't powerful enough to run it so they had to use another system.

The problem comes when it comes time to write interactive applications as you have to make sure the application will work on the least powerful STU in operation. Foxtel have newer boxes so when they develop an application they can make it a lot more sophisticated because the least powerful STU they use is lightyears ahead of the least powerful Austar STU. The delay in getting viewers choice on Austar is because they are having to dumb down the application to make sure it will work on everybox on their platform.

Its a stupid situation because in the Active Control Room at Foxtel (Austar's active is controlled by Foxtel) they have to lauch and run two different services everytime an active application is in use. The Austar applications are always the first to crash.

okay so is it just a delay , can i still get the interactive soccer,just a case of waiting and being patient?

thanks

Trust Austar.

lol yet another golden post by the queen of cynicism.

You go pay for the rollout of upgraded STB's, then do us all a favour and refrain from hitting the "reply" button on these forums.

What's that? You don't have the millions in required resources? Neither do AUSTAR otherwise we'd roll out the new boxes and save your poor little fingers the trouble of translating such a negative attitude to the dtvforum.info website all the time.

You should become a TV and Movie critic, you're enough of an unreasonable pain the ass.

I've had enough of this rubbish, I'm not posting here anymore because I'm tired of the ungrateful assholes and the unrelenting negative comments.

You go pay for the rollout of upgraded STB's, then do us all a favour and refrain from hitting the "reply" button on these forums.

What's that? You don't have the millions in required resources? Neither do AUSTAR otherwise we'd roll out the new boxes and save your poor little fingers the trouble of translating such a negative attitude to the dtvforum.info website all the time.

You should become a TV and Movie critic, you're enough of an unreasonable pain the ass.

I've had enough of this rubbish, I'm not posting here anymore because I'm tired of the ungrateful assholes and the unrelenting negative comments.

You guys should be ashamed !! This person was here at his own time and effort to help you as he posted in his first post. He's not Austars PR man for you all to shoot down and air your greivances. I'm not surprised he's peeved. As he has said over and over again, there not Foxtel with Foxtels resources.

Yell@Me I wish you the best in your future endevours and thanks for the help and info you gave to people who had genuine problems and not grips. Good luck mate.

Hey your not at work talking to your customers now your on a public forum and if you dont like what I post you a free to say what you like just the same as I do. Theres no need for anyone to take their bat and ball and go home now is there?

Hey your not at work talking to your customers now your on a public forum and if you dont like what I post you a free to say what you like just the same as I do. Theres no need for anyone to take their bat and ball and go home now is there?

He couldn't quite live up to that fancy nic he created for himself. Still no word on mythstar now how many days since it was announced by Austar. May 2005 to Sept 1 2007 thats 365 + 365 ( or is their leap year involved) + 105 = 835 days and still waiting. Yet the unofficial Austar rep has had one up and running for nearly 6 months, must be a perk of the job that mythstar.

Liz I share your concern about a company thats so contemptuous of its customers, anyone would think they were our employers.

Setanta is rumoured to become available on Austar in September. Can you give us a date? Will it be at single channel extra cost or part of one of the packages?

really, that might interest me as well. For the uninitiated its an Irish based Sports channel(s).

He couldn't quite live up to that fancy nic he created for himself. Still no word on mythstar now how many days since it was announced by Austar. May 2005 to Sept 1 2007 thats 365 + 365 ( or is their leap year involved) + 105 = 835 days and still waiting. Yet the unofficial Austar rep has had one up and running for nearly 6 months, must be a perk of the job that mythstar.

Liz I share your concern about a company thats so contemptuous of its customers, anyone would think they were our employers.

I have no problems with the guy personally its just his employer that gives me the gripes. I only wish he wouldnt take criticism of Austar so personally though. On the subject of the Mythstar I have it on very good information that it will really happen on the 2nd of October would you believe so keep your fingers crossed. We dont want any more delays.

I have no problems with the guy personally its just his employer that gives me the gripes. I only wish he wouldnt take criticism of Austar so personally though. On the subject of the Mythstar I have it on very good information that it will really happen on the 2nd of October would you believe so keep your fingers crossed. We dont want any more delays.

Hey you two keep at it !!! Your on your own. Nobody deserves the crap you two spill out.

Good luck :angry2:

You give forums a bad name

I'm sorry to have to inform you and others Liz when I rang Austar to register my interest in mythstar today they advised me its been delayed to Jan' 2008.

Edited by ozbrit

Hey you two keep at it !!! Your on your own. Nobody deserves the crap you two spill out.

Good luck :angry2:

You give forums a bad name

I'd *hate* to be in customer service in modern Australia, my prison terms would run into decades:-)

My advice, again, to Austar reps is to not bother trying to help here or in any other forum, all you will cop is crap, always, on some company subject or other, and for destroying mortgages, death of the firstborn etc!

The Mystar is delayed or had been, boo-hoo get over it people. Other forums, and here somewhere is a link to a pic of one in operation.

People could use vis too, IF they actually want a quality product that *will* work with Austar, SelecTV etc with subscription card and new CAM:

http://www.madelectronics.com.au/index.php...4c47e9e2301e61b

Edited by Keepleft

I'm sorry to have to inform you and others Liz when I rang Austar to register my interest in mythstar today they advised me its been delayed to Jan' 2008.

I will get back to my source about this one but when I was talking to him last night he assured me it was all go for October 2nd. You may have just got some of the usual Austar CS bull after all you only have to look at the way they conduct themselves on this forum dont you.

I'd *hate* to be in customer service in modern Australia, my prison terms would run into decades:-)

My advice, again, to Austar reps is to not bother trying to help here or in any other forum, all you will cop is crap, always, on some company subject or other, and for destroying mortgages, death of the firstborn etc!

The Mystar is delayed or had been, boo-hoo get over it people. Other forums, and here somewhere is a link to a pic of one in operation.

People could use vis too, IF they actually want a quality product that *will* work with Austar, SelecTV etc with subscription card and new CAM:

http://www.madelectronics.com.au/index.php...4c47e9e2301e61b

Lol You hit it in one

I will get back to my source about this one but when I was talking to him last night he assured me it was all go for October 2nd. You may have just got some of the usual Austar CS bull after all you only have to look at the way they conduct themselves on this forum dont you.

Let me get this straight, you are annoyed about a product Austar announced was coming, and they have then delayed it due to a technical snafu. You don't pay for it, they did not promise a date, and they have chosen to hold a release until the thing works....?

You are a whinging idiot, and I support Yell@me in finally snapping at you, I only hope he does not vanish from the forum.

Let me get this straight, you are annoyed about a product Austar announced was coming, and they have then delayed it due to a technical snafu. You don't pay for it, they did not promise a date, and they have chosen to hold a release until the thing works....?

You are a whinging idiot, and I support Yell@me in finally snapping at you, I only hope he does not vanish from the forum.

What we were talking about is that while all the inside info is pointing towards a October 2nd launch date for some reason Austar CS is telling callers it been delayed again until next year. Are making an official announcement that its been delayed again ???

Edited by lizclinton

Why do you need to move the box after it was just installed. Why didn't you have it installed in the place you wanted it, in the first place?

Just had two boxes installed at my place and was wonder how to go about moving one of the boxes. When I tried to use a longer cable all I got was an error message. Is there a simple way to relocate my box?

d1ng5

They wouldn't install it where I wanted it ... it wasn't under the same roof line and was therefore to be treated as a separate installation.

Why do you need to move the box after it was just installed. Why didn't you have it installed in the place you wanted it, in the first place?