Panasonic Pv60/px600 Owners Thread

G`day people, I will post again as I got no responce from enquiry last time and have since found out I cannot watch Austar through HDMI. But I am still getting waves rolling from top to bottom when watching Austar on AV1 through S-Video. It is noticable when picture is dark or swapping channels. Any ideas on how to eliminate this?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G`day people, I will post again as I got no responce from enquiry last time and have since found out I cannot watch Austar through HDMI. But I am still getting waves rolling from top to bottom when watching Austar on AV1 through S-Video. It is noticable when picture is dark or swapping channels. Any ideas on how to eliminate this?

I have the PX600a and have the same problem. Fox box is uec 720 setup using svideo the Tv would just roll top to bottom no stable picture at all. Now with composite its doing the same thing but seems to be when channel changes or when a ad comes on, once it goes back to program it becomes stable again. I am think its the fox box. What box do you have panavision ?

I have the PX600a and have the same problem. Fox box is uec 720 setup using svideo the Tv would just roll top to bottom no stable picture at all. Now with composite its doing the same thing but seems to be when channel changes or when a ad comes on, once it goes back to program it becomes stable again. I am think its the fox box. What box do you have panavision ?

I have the newer Austar box which is smaller than the older ones. I don`t have the problem when watching on component through DVD but as I said in previous post I don`t want the DVD on all the time. Was wondering if there was better cables that would stop the waves. Also some times on Austar the audio is out of sync with the picture. Looks like I am watching an old Roman movie.

Can anyone advise on how much heat the px600a generate, as I have

purpose built a recess into the wall of a new house so the tv ends up

flush with the front of the wall. This means the tv is effectively in a box

with about 50mm of gap all the way around.

Thanks to my contribution to global warming (air conditioning) ambiant

room temp will not be too extreme, any thoughts ?

I actually have one but its still sitting in a store room for a couple more

months.

brett

In the manual it says to allow 10 cm top and sides, 6 cm bottom and 7 cm at the back. It does have 2 cooling fans at the back and we noticed they were a lot cooler than some other brands in the stores. We have ours sitting on an entertainment unit and do not notice any heat at all.

In the manual it says to allow 10 cm top and sides, 6 cm bottom and 7 cm at the back. It does have 2 cooling fans at the back and we noticed they were a lot cooler than some other brands in the stores. We have ours sitting on an entertainment unit and do not notice any heat at all.

Whoops, to late now, may have to install fan if heat does become an issue, I have checked demo models and although they are

in the open there is no real heat noticable.

I ended up getting a replacement DVD player with HDMI out (this time a Panasonic, not a Philips) and I'm still not getting a picture through HDMI. The red/yellow/white cables work but the HDMI cable I bought and put in the wall before the plasterboard went on is not doing the trick. I just don't get anything now, just a black screen, whereas before it was saying that the TV is not HDCP compliant.

Has anyone had issues with the HDMI inputs on their 42PX600A? I'm wondering if it's the TV itself? It has to be the inputs or the cable, but I'm just wondering if the HDMI inputs have been a problem for anyone else?

I have purpose built a recess into the wall of a new house so the tv ends up

flush with the front of the wall. This means the tv is effectively in a box

with about 50mm of gap all the way around.

Wow, that's brave. What happens when you want to upgrade?

Wow, that's brave. What happens when you want to upgrade?

Worry about that then, build a new house, not buy a panel that doesnt fit, to be honest I didnt think of

that I will probably refer back to point one when and if the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

my 50px600a seems to have a problem on the normal pic setting. not there on cinema, but cinema looks a bit washed out, so i want to use normal. on normal the brightness always seems to be changing during DVE's test where it shows the initial grey scale boxes with the ever changing backround going from black to white in gradients. is this whats supposed to happen on normal?

my 50px600a seems to have a problem on the normal pic setting. not there on cinema, but cinema looks a bit washed out, so i want to use normal. on normal the brightness always seems to be changing during DVE's test where it shows the initial grey scale boxes with the ever changing backround going from black to white in gradients. is this whats supposed to happen on normal?

Not sure, but perhaps the automatic contrast tracking system (CATS?) is enabled when you select 'Normal' mode.

I know what you mean when you say Cinema mode looks a little washed out, but remember it is just a starting point and you can still adjust brightness/contrast, etc. to get the picture looking more to your liking.

BTW, if you are interested in calibrating your set for 6500K greyscale tracking, a couple of pro reviews have said that Cinema mode is the best starting point for achieveing this on the Panasonics.

Cheers,

Brian.

cheers for that. so thats what cats stands for! i have changed all the settings in normal and cinema to get what i feel is the best picture, but i cant for the life of me remove the purple banding effect from some images. going from warm to normal is the best i can do. otherwise tv is still great.

cheers for that. so thats what cats stands for! i have changed all the settings in normal and cinema to get what i feel is the best picture, but i cant for the life of me remove the purple banding effect from some images. going from warm to normal is the best i can do. otherwise tv is still great.

It looks like purple banding is an issue with most Panasonic plasmas, affecting the 42" sets (purple snakes) more than the 50s.

The root cause seems to be an inability to properly reproduce a smooth greyscale ramp, as evidenced by this review under the Video Artifacts section.

Perhaps it has something to do with the Pannys only being able to reproduce 3072 'steps of gradation' (whatever that means - presumably the number of distinct intensities for each primary colour). This could also potentailly explain the relatively higher incidence of posterization/colour banding on the Pannys when dealing with limited bandwidth video.

Some other brands claim much higher figures for steps of gradation on their new models - e.g. the new Sammy Q91/C91 specs mention 260,000+ levels.

Cheers,

BAC

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, MAJOR issue here...

Half an hour ago my 1 month old 42PX600a's screen just went black while the kids were watching a DVD. I nudged the cables to see if it was a bad connection, but nada... So I flicked it of AV onto TV and... wait for it... No TV picture either, just sound.

Argh! Has anyone else's had this problem, or do you know what I might be able to do to fix it? I'm guessing it's a warranty issue but if it's something simple I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance.

g.

Guest JimboTHX1138
Okay, MAJOR issue here...

Half an hour ago my 1 month old 42PX600a's screen just went black while the kids were watching a DVD. I nudged the cables to see if it was a bad connection, but nada... So I flicked it of AV onto TV and... wait for it... No TV picture either, just sound.

Argh! Has anyone else's had this problem, or do you know what I might be able to do to fix it? I'm guessing it's a warranty issue but if it's something simple I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance.

g.

I've read about this before. If i remember correctly it was due to the power supply in the TV. You will probably have to call Panasonic for repairs.

my 50px600a did a similar thing 2 days ago. we were watching a dvd on hdmi1 and then switched over to inbuilt hd tuner, and there was no pic. did on and off a few times and still no joy. i unplugged it from the wall and waited a few seconds, then all was well again.

Yeah, just wish we didn't live an hour away from the store.

Well you can thank hollywood for your problems... the obsession with "securing" every bit of gear that you own, and encrypting everything. That is what HDCP is- an encrypted version of HDMI. And if every bit of gear you've got doesn't comply, then suffer it either not working or running in reduced resolution mode.

Windows Vista does insane levels of encryption too (even on the bus lines in the PC!), so no more region hacks for your DVDs (or Blu-Ray). Search the web for university of auckland vista for more info.

:angry2:

Well you can thank hollywood for your problems... the obsession with "securing" every bit of gear that you own, and encrypting everything. That is what HDCP is- an encrypted version of HDMI. And if every bit of gear you've got doesn't comply, then suffer it either not working or running in reduced resolution mode.

Windows Vista does insane levels of encryption too (even on the bus lines in the PC!), so no more region hacks for your DVDs (or Blu-Ray). Search the web for university of auckland vista for more info.

:angry2:

I use Vista and a Panasonic 50" 600a. Although I use a HDCP enabled video card and HDMI cable, I have also used the Vista<->Plasma in component & VGA (I bought the videocard for playing games at high resolutions, so the HDCP stuff was a side issue)

I have no compatibility issues playing DVD's, Divx, quicktime etc etc. I suspect that if I were to use a XBox HDDVD drive and AnyDVD-HD (which I am running) that there would also be no issues. My drives are de-regioned by AnyDVD, I can "backup" (cough) DVD's with DVD shink. In fact, there are no limitations that I have encountered at all using vista (except a bug in the windows media centre that occasionally results in it being "stuck" half off the screen - I try to use WMC & WMP as little as possible)

I have virtually abandoned using my PVR and DVD player because the quality and convenience of using the Vista based PC is so good. The convenience of video on slightly delayed demand (BT) is just too attractive.

The encryption issues built into Vista will only be relevant to High definition formats (if at all,thanks to AnyDVD-HD). They will not be the cause of the aforementioned shutdown issues. For the average user NOT playing HD formats it will be of no relevance at all

J.

I have had a Pana 50px600a for a few weeks now and am concerned that it may have a fault. I have noticed that it suffers from significant pixelation that occurs during fast moving scenes in particular, and very noticable when watching music DVD's that have significant amounts of fast movement and strobing lights. DVD player is Panasonic DMR-EX75 DVD connected through HDMI and upscaled to 1080i. Have tried altering upscaling to 720p etc but same problem. Same effect also seen when watching TV broadcasts of the football (Chn 90 for example). If the camera pans quickly across the ground, the picture again tends to become quick blocky (approx 1cm squares) until panning stops. Apart from this effect the picture is crystal clear at other times with no other signs of any problem. Anyone else seen this effect. Is it a fault or normal operation? Settings used are normal picture, no colour correction, MPEG noise reduction off. Changing MPEG noise reduction settings makes no difference.

I have had a Pana 50px600a for a few weeks now and am concerned that it may have a fault. I have noticed that it suffers from significant pixelation that occurs during fast moving scenes in particular, and very noticable when watching music DVD's that have significant amounts of fast movement and strobing lights. DVD player is Panasonic DMR-EX75 DVD connected through HDMI and upscaled to 1080i. Have tried altering upscaling to 720p etc but same problem. Same effect also seen when watching TV broadcasts of the football (Chn 90 for example). If the camera pans quickly across the ground, the picture again tends to become quick blocky (approx 1cm squares) until panning stops. Apart from this effect the picture is crystal clear at other times with no other signs of any problem. Anyone else seen this effect. Is it a fault or normal operation? Settings used are normal picture, no colour correction, MPEG noise reduction off. Changing MPEG noise reduction settings makes no difference.

the football prob is blocking cause by less than required bitrate tranfers from the tv network and probably not the tv.[or the Fev is cracking the shits on field]...the dvd prob on the other hand ? if ur player is upscaling..reset to native dvd output and let the tv do it [perhaps on different cable connections]....and i get artifacting if i play say a ntsc dvd and forget to change from pal output....

the football prob is blocking cause by less than required bitrate tranfers from the tv network and probably not the tv.[or the Fev is cracking the shits on field]...the dvd prob on the other hand ? if ur player is upscaling..reset to native dvd output and let the tv do it [perhaps on different cable connections]....and i get artifacting if i play say a ntsc dvd and forget to change from pal output....

Thanks, I'll try your suggestion of letting the TV do the upscaling rather than the DVD. My other option is to see if my mates Pana exhibits the same problem. His is only the 42PA60 std def but will be interesting to see if it shows same issue.

I only notice this issue on some FTA stuff and have put it down more to lack of broadcast bandwidth by the broadcaster than any defect in the panels scaling abilities

• 3 months later...
Has anyone seen any new software/firmware updates for the Panasonic TH-42PX600A?? Its working fine but incase there was a new download available for it id like to upload to the plasma.

jas

Would be nice if they had a definitive answer to the Purple Snake problem via firmware update. Think most people just decided to put up with it.

• 2 months later...

We bought a TH42PX60 in Scotland in February then decided to head back to Tassie. I heard that it will not work with Australian broadcasting but also read that there is a secret menu that you can enter to change it to make it compatible. Is this true and if so how do you do it? Cheers

Best try Panasonic Australia on 13 2600 and see if they can help.

I don't think the PX60 was sold in Australia, only the PV60 or PX600. Shouldn't be a big issue, same screen with different hardware. Hopefully it can be upgraded via menu/FW, not hardware... :unsure:

BTW, you're not related to TASSIE DEVIL are you?

Edited by diesel
  • 5 months later...

Hey fellow Panny owners.

In nearly 20 months of ownership my PX600 has given me great service and not a single issue.

Anyway, tonight when Mrs diesel tried changing the channel on the DVB tuner the TV got stuck on 9HD. You could change channels on the analogue tuner and other RC commands worked fine. Tried changing channel on the front panel, but no good. tried a power down reset, but that didn't fix the issue either. I then restored back to factory defaults and rescanned channels and settings and channel changing on DVB returned.

Any body ever have an issue with channel "lock" or nonresponsive DVB tuner before?

BTW, since getting a PVR nearly 12 months ago, the DVB tuner in the TV has had very little use.

• 9 months later...
I have a th42px600a, about 2.2 years old. I have warranty for another 9 months or so....

Basically, sometimes when I switch form an external soruce back to the internal tuner, I will get sound but no picture. I have to turn the tv off at the switch to get the picture to come back. I know its a long shot, but has anyone had this problem before? Will it get worse?

I had the tuner get stuck on 9HD. I had to do a factory reset and it's been fine since, but then again I don't use the internal tuner much as I mostly watch through my PVR.

What input are you switching back from (AV1, HDMI etc)?

I would try a factory reset, and if it continues then get it looked at before the warranty runs out.

Hi All,

I have a th42px600a, about 2.2 years old. I have warranty for another 9 months or so....

Basically, sometimes when I wswitch form an external soruce back to the internal tuner, I will get sound but no picture. I have to turn the tv off at the switch to get the picture to come back. I know its a long shot, but has anyone had this problem before? Will it get worse?

Thanks,