Sign in to follow this  
stubbey

Panasonic Pv60/px600 Owners Thread

Standard.

Then it looks like you've got a fault with the plasma.

My only thought was that you might have been running in Dynamic picture mode, which can produce strange effects similar to what you were describing.

Cheers,

BAC

So what should i do now? Call panasonic or go back to harvey norman? would they pickup the tv or send a technician?

So what should i do now? Call panasonic or go back to harvey norman? would they pickup the tv or send a technician?

TAKE it back & demand a new tv, with harvey norman you have 2 weeks to swap over, after that they will send you to a service agent which can take weeks to get a repair.

Remind harvey norman about consumer affairs , department of fair trading, you have every right for a replacement if they sold you a faulty tv.

Call the manger if you have to, jump up & down but don't leave without a new tv if you truly beleave yours is faulty & is only a few weeks old.

Don't take any s''''t off the sales people, but be polite

Good luck

heres a log of my dilemma:

28/3/07

purchased tv

4/4/07

noticed problem, tv would flicker brightness whenever there's a dark

scene and any white detail comes into view. would also flicker

brightness if theres a totally black screen and even the smallest of

detail comes into view eg. tv display icons of the current input used

like av1, av2 etc.

really noticeable at night when theres minimal lighting, still there in

daytime.

7/4/07

called harvey norman, was told to call panasonic and get a technician

to look at tv which would infact invoke the manufacturer's warranty.

salesperson also said they cant replace or refund without the technician's approval of the fault

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only just purchased it 1 and a half weeks ago, what are my options here?

Guest JimboTHX1138
I only just purchased it 1 and a half weeks ago, what are my options here?

If you only bought it one and a half weeks ago and there is a fault you are entitled to a replacement set at least. Tell them they have sold you a faulty TV and that you been in contact with consumer affairs and that you are entitled to a replacement set. Usually just mentioning consumer affairs is enough to get the ball rolling. Don't take no bulls**t about contacting a Panasonic service centre if it's only just over a week old. The law is on your side.

Does anyone know of a discrete remote control command to go to the HDMI 1 input on the 50" 600a? I need it for my Harmony universal remote.

Cheers.

Does anyone know of a discrete remote control command to go to the HDMI 1 input on the 50" 600a? I need it for my Harmony universal remote.

Cheers.

I use the AVS DVI button and this goes straight to HDMI 1

Link

Thread

I use the AVS DVI button and this goes straight to HDMI 1

Link

Thread

Brilliant! Thanks diesel. Works a treat.

Much appreciated. If only Harmony support were as helpful!

Cheers.

I was wondering if anybody knew how to turn Dynamic Contrast off on the PX600A?

We all know these Panels have a Dynamic contrast element to their black levels and since watching the panel i've noticed on the odd occasion that the panel noticeably flicks for say 0.2 of a second as it adjusts its brightness.

Say when the footy crosses to the NAB cup logo which is Red and the rest of the background all black obviously and it flicks for a second because of the bright red NAB logo obviously.

I figure this has to do with dynamic contrast which obviously influences a TV's black level based on lighting but for me personally i find it vaguely annoying.

On the other hand it might just be the broadcast i'm not sure. Watching HD footy last night i noticed it do it a few times during play.

Also in terms of color management, PNR or the rest of those little gizmo functions they are all set to OFF.

Looked for a setting that might let me turn Dyanmic contrast management off but didn't find it. Might be in service menu?

Also yes my setting are set to Normal rather than Dynamic etc etc.

Cheers in advance for replies.

I was wondering if anybody knew how to turn Dynamic Contrast off on the PX600A?

Can't say I have noticed this flickering on my set. I would have thought that by switching off the "Dynamic" setting, it would return the set to "Normal" operating, or does Dynamic only change contrast/brightness levels?

Can't say I have noticed this flickering on my set. I would have thought that by switching off the "Dynamic" setting, it would return the set to "Normal" operating, or does Dynamic only change contrast/brightness levels?

Only contrast brightness I think

Can someone test this out for me please.

I was in myer today they had one of the iceage movies playing on the 600A (42 and 50 side by side)

one part ( just before where that rat goes down the ramp to try and grab the acorn) had a lot of blue in the picture.

Now I looked at it on both screens and it seemed to me there were Waves going from bottom left to top right accross the blue, maybe 5 cm apart.

I looked on the LG next to it and it didnt have the waves.

Before i coudl check other tv's the scene changed to one without the blue ice.

So either the panasonic was showing some detail that the LG wasnt or the panasonics having a problem with that color.

I couldnt get them to pause the scene to see if the wave was from the tv or it was cable or intensional.

Can somoene please check if they have this problem ?

I can test the scene on the 50" using either/both the xbox and the Sony upscaling dvd players. Just need a little bit more detail about the scene. Was it Ice Age 1 or 2? (I have both.) What ramp do you mean?

I can test the scene on the 50" using either/both the xbox and the Sony upscaling dvd players. Just need a little bit more detail about the scene. Was it Ice Age 1 or 2? (I have both.) What ramp do you mean?

I think it was ice age 2, because after that bit it showed them walking on normal land and no ice.

It was the part with that scrat thing, and the acorn was quite a distance away, there was like a slide of ice and ramp at the end and it slides down the ramp in an attempt to get to the acorn.

It might not have to be that bit.

This screencap shows the color that it was occuring on http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=Re...tent&id=649, see the 2nd picture. You could notice it most on the top right corner (both 42 and 50 did it).

So i think any of the ice scenes in number 2 should cause it.

I think it was ice age 2, because after that bit it showed them walking on normal land and no ice.

It was the part with that scrat thing, and the acorn was quite a distance away, there was like a slide of ice and ramp at the end and it slides down the ramp in an attempt to get to the acorn.

It might not have to be that bit.

This screencap shows the color that it was occuring on http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=Re...tent&id=649, see the 2nd picture. You could notice it most on the top right corner (both 42 and 50 did it).

So i think any of the ice scenes in number 2 should cause it.

Thanks. I'll test ASAP. I'm working at the moment, so I might not get to it 'til later this afternoon or this evening.

BTW, does anyone know of a way to do a screen capture with the pana 600a (other than taking a digital photo)?

Cheers.

Tested the scene I think you mean (plus quite a few more). I couldn't see anything like what you described. The only issues I could see were some artifacts in the very first scene and a couple of other scenes, due to my Sony upscaling dvd player (they weren't there when I tested thru the xbox). I've described these elsewhere on dtvforum, but can't find it just now. Nothing like what you described though. Also noticed some striping of the colour gradient in the sky, but this seems to be pretty common and certainly didn't bother me.

All up, I didn't see anything that I'd think was a problem with the tv.

On another note, I don't know if you're considering the LG that you compared to in the store, but I'd heartily recommend you don't. I've just sent mine back for a partial refund. Picture quality is terrible for some standard defintion signal. I tested a number of other LGs in-store and they all had the same issue. You sound like you value picture quality, so I'm sure you'll find the problems very painful.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Tested the scene I think you mean (plus quite a few more). I couldn't see anything like what you described. The only issues I could see were some artifacts in the very first scene and a couple of other scenes, due to my Sony upscaling dvd player (they weren't there when I tested thru the xbox). I've described these elsewhere on dtvforum, but can't find it just now. Nothing like what you described though. Also noticed some striping of the colour gradient in the sky, but this seems to be pretty common and certainly didn't bother me.

All up, I didn't see anything that I'd think was a problem with the tv.

On another note, I don't know if you're considering the LG that you compared to in the store, but I'd heartily recommend you don't. I've just sent mine back for a partial refund. Picture quality is terrible for some standard defintion signal. I tested a number of other LGs in-store and they all had the same issue. You sound like you value picture quality, so I'm sure you'll find the problems very painful.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

thanks for checking that out :blink:

No i'm not considering the LG, i was in checking stock and delivery options

It was just next the the two panasonics, it was the only non set i had to compare to.

I dont know what the problem was then in the store, maybe somethign to do with how hte signal was being sent.

Now I looked at it on both screens and it seemed to me there were Waves going from bottom left to top right accross the blue, maybe 5 cm apart.
Also noticed some striping of the colour gradient in the sky, but this seems to be pretty common and certainly didn't bother me.

Sounds like some banding between the different gradients of blue...is this what you mean?

BTW, does anyone know of a way to do a screen capture with the pana 600a (other than taking a digital photo)?

Can you pause the scene (using screen pause/hold button) and record to SD Slot?

I haven't tried as I do not own an SD Card

Sounds like some banding between the different gradients of blue...is this what you mean?

Yep!

Can you pause the scene (using screen pause/hold button) and record to SD Slot?

I haven't tried as I do not own an SD Card

Unfortunately, I don't have a card either. May get one soon.