Panasonic Pv60/px600 Owners Thread

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can recommend the Sony Dvpns76h. I have it hooked up to the 50" 600a, and it does a great job.

Not perfect, but very good considering it's upscaling from SD and the TV's playing it in semi-hd. I also have a modded original x-box, and the only thing I THINK the xbox is better at (for dvd playback) is black scenes. For example, the scene in Lord of the Rings (the first one) where the hobbits are all in the tavern just before meeting Strider. There's a really close up scene of Strider's eyes as he sucks on his pipe, and the glowing ember is reflected in his eyes. I've noticed that the Sony shows the surrounding black as more of a violet colour, but the xbox shows it as a nice deep black. Bear in mind that I've only noticed it in this and one other scene, and I haven't played with the settings to try and eliminate it. Nor have I taken any screen shots - haven't had time.

For more info on the Sony, take a look at the thread at http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=43213.

Cheers.

Nee a DVD player to suit my 42PV60.

Looking at a Pana S53 - attracted by HDMI etc. and reasonable price.

Any advice, issues or comments please?

I have the same panel as you hooked up to an Oppo DV-971H, which is meant to be one of the better deinterlacing/upscaling DVD players under $500.

I've done plenty of A-B testing on my Pana, cycling the Oppo's output between upscaling over HDMI, SD progressive over HDMI and SD interlaced over component. What I've seen is there is very little difference in the quality of output on the PV60 regardless of how the Oppo is connected.

What this says to me is the internal scaling and deinterlacing capabilities of the Pana are quite good, so I wouldn't bother spending big $$$ on an upscaling DVD player to use with it. Just get something that produces clean output @576i and you won't go wrong.

Cheers,

BAC

I also have a modded original x-box, and the only thing I THINK the xbox is better at (for dvd playback) is black scenes.

The other area where modded Xboxs excel with the Pana plasmas is in producing clean pictures with downloaded AVIs of TV shows, etc. These can look really ordinary when played through a normal stand alone DivX capable DVD player.

Cheers,

BAC

Guest miwewi
Nee a DVD player to suit my 42PV60.

Looking at a Pana S53 - attracted by HDMI etc. and reasonable price.

Any advice, issues or comments please?

Sorry, this is my first post and I mucked it up.

I meant to put in that I have the Th-50PX600A and just purchased a Palsonic DVD2080Hd with HDMI connection.

I am not sure if this good enough for your needs but appears okay for the money.

Edited by miwewi

G`day guys, I have had my PX600 a couple of weeks, I have Austar hooked into TV via S-Video and when changing channels or picture goes dark I am seeing waves rolling from top to bottom. It doesn`t affect the picture that much but I know it`s there and it is a bit annoying. I have Austar through the DVD as well using RGB cables and viewing on AV3. I don`t get the waves thruogh the DVD. I know I could just watch it this way but don`t want the DVD on all the time. Would I be better using HDMI straight from Austar box into HDMI outlet on TV. If this would give me a better picture I am quite happy to buy the neccesary cables, any advice on those would be helpful too.

running my xbox360 thru vga @13** x 7** on my 50px600a, there is a small portion of the right hand side of the screen not being usedprob 3 or 4cms. does anyone know how to correct this?

thanks.

With the XBox360 display on-screen, go into the television's settings menu. On the Advanced sub-menu (I think it is called Advanced anyway), there are sliders for horizontal and vertical position and width of the on-screen image. Using those settings (which are "sticky" and only apply to the VGA input) you should be able to get the XBox360 filling the screen just right.

Also, while you're in a setting-up frame of mind, make sure you change the new Reference level setting on the XBox360 dashboard Display setup screen to Expanded (or Extended or Enhanced or whatever it is called - not Standard or Intermediate anyway).

BTW if you only have a 3rd party VGA adaptor for your XBox360, you might find (as I did) that you get some visible "ghosting" from high-contrast vertical lines. When I changed from the (relatively) cheap one I bought initially to Microsoft's "official" version that ghosting totally went away.

ted.h.

Hi all,

I am an owner of a 50" 600a pana and was wondering if anyone could post their best picture settings?

I have read in this forum that PersianImmortal's (sp) setttings for the 500a doesn't convert too well to the 600a.

Thanks in advance.

Herbernator

I am an owner of a 50" 600a pana and was wondering if anyone could post their best picture settings?

I have read in this forum that PersianImmortal's (sp) setttings for the 500a doesn't convert too well to the 600a.

Panasonic Px600a Calibration Settings, An attempt to make things easier

My Ideal Settings For Panasonic 42pv60a, So Far

Review: TH-58PX600U 58" (NOTE USA version)

Hey everyone... We just bought the 42PX600A and have only had it up on the wall for a day now. Anyway it's my 3yo's birthday today and one of his pressies was a DVD, so I popped it in the DVD player (Philips) and hit the 'TV/AV' button, selected the HDMI2 input and was given the message "Display is not HDCP compliant". So it showed the movie for a few seconds then the display went scrambled for a fraction of a second, then the picture goes black.

What's all this mean? Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone... We just bought the 42PX600A and have only had it up on the wall for a day now. Anyway it's my 3yo's birthday today and one of his pressies was a DVD, so I popped it in the DVD player (Philips) and hit the 'TV/AV' button, selected the HDMI2 input and was given the message "Display is not HDCP compliant". So it showed the movie for a few seconds then the display went scrambled for a fraction of a second, then the picture goes black.

What's all this mean? Thanks in advance.

So the fun begins after the transport saga... :blink::P

"HDCP stands for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection, a copy protection scheme to eliminate the possibility of intercepting digital data midstream between the source to the display." From http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp

In other words, it is meant to prevent copying of hdtv material using HDMI. Your DVD player thinks that your PX600A is is not HDMI compliant. Suggest you try the following to determine what is causing this - is it the Pana, DVD player or cable ?

1. Try connecting player to HDMI 1 and see if it is causing the problem; if it works, then maybe a problem with HDMI2 on the Pana ?

2. If you have another DVD player which outputs HDMI (maybe from a neighbour ?), try it on both HDMI ports; if it works, then Pana is OK and then you try step 3. If it does not, try step 4

3. You may have to check the setup of the DVD player or it is faulty with HDMI output

4. Try another HDMI cable. If second hdmi cable does not work with second DVD player - then I am afraid you will need to call Panasonic :D

Good luck....

I upgraded the firmware on the DVD player and still same prob.

Rang Philips and they said it should work, so take it back to HN and test it on their cables/TVs, and if it's the same, get it replaced.

:blink:

Could be worse - it could have been the Pana! :P:D

G`day people, I will post again as I got no responce from enquiry last time and have since found out I cannot watch Austar through HDMI. But I am still getting waves rolling from top to bottom when watching Austar on AV1 through S-Video. It is noticable when picture is dark or swapping channels. Any ideas on how to eliminate this?

G`day people, I will post again as I got no responce from enquiry last time and have since found out I cannot watch Austar through HDMI. But I am still getting waves rolling from top to bottom when watching Austar on AV1 through S-Video. It is noticable when picture is dark or swapping channels. Any ideas on how to eliminate this?

I have the PX600a and have the same problem. Fox box is uec 720 setup using svideo the Tv would just roll top to bottom no stable picture at all. Now with composite its doing the same thing but seems to be when channel changes or when a ad comes on, once it goes back to program it becomes stable again. I am think its the fox box. What box do you have panavision ?

I have the PX600a and have the same problem. Fox box is uec 720 setup using svideo the Tv would just roll top to bottom no stable picture at all. Now with composite its doing the same thing but seems to be when channel changes or when a ad comes on, once it goes back to program it becomes stable again. I am think its the fox box. What box do you have panavision ?

I have the newer Austar box which is smaller than the older ones. I don`t have the problem when watching on component through DVD but as I said in previous post I don`t want the DVD on all the time. Was wondering if there was better cables that would stop the waves. Also some times on Austar the audio is out of sync with the picture. Looks like I am watching an old Roman movie.

Can anyone advise on how much heat the px600a generate, as I have

purpose built a recess into the wall of a new house so the tv ends up

flush with the front of the wall. This means the tv is effectively in a box

with about 50mm of gap all the way around.

Thanks to my contribution to global warming (air conditioning) ambiant

room temp will not be too extreme, any thoughts ?

I actually have one but its still sitting in a store room for a couple more

months.

brett