Panasonic Pv60/px600 Owners Thread

Hi all....

Does anyone know if there is any limitation on the size of SD Card you can use with the TH42PX600A

the user manual shows details of how much you can expect to record on cards up to 1GB but not beyond....

i am in the market for an SD card but didnt wanna buy one thats too big then find out later...

I have a vague memory of my 50" 600a manual saying the limit was 2GB. I bought a 2GB and the 50" 600a handles that fine. (Although the playback is absolute crap. It's just way too small. I'm gonna play around with it on my pc to see if I can turn it into something watchable on the tv - maybe play the file back through the xbox instead of the tv.)

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just bought a panny 50px600a from HN. i was tossing up between the 42" and the 50" but decided i'd go all out for the 50 seeing as i didn't want to be sitting watching the 42 and regretting it. anyway, i'm pleased with the TV but must say i suffered a little "buyers remorse" for a few days afterwards- battling my inner demons regarding my decision to buy the 50. this wasn't helped when on the second night of ownership i watched a 1.5hr movie in 4:3 format. after switching it back the pc desktop i noticed two distinct lines where the 4:3 border was, and either side of the lines the shading was slightly darker. i broke a sweat at the prospect of my new tv suffering burn in on the second night! anyway i turned the tv on the next morning and the lines were still there but after an hour or so of watching 16:9 HD programs the lines went away and now 3 days later there is still no sign of burn in. Has anybody else had this? After the first 100 hours how careful do you need to be to avoid burn, like is it always going to be touch and go or can you relax a bit when the weather and news headlines scroll along the bottom of the tv during Sunrise or the Nine logo sits in the corner of the screen for hours? The only other issue i have with this TV is the exclusion of a digital audio out making it impossible to connect to an AV receiver and watch HDTV in dolby digital. Apart from this i'm absolutely loving this tv now as the PQ is fantastic, and the 50" screen doesn't even look that massive in my lounge room any more now that i've got used to it!

i just bought a panny 50px600a ...

The only other issue i have with this TV is the exclusion of a digital audio out making it impossible to connect to an AV receiver and watch HDTV in dolby digital.

The optical output should be facing "downwards" a bit further to the right (looking from the back of the set) than all the other connections (which face all "outwards").

ted.h.

The optical output should be facing "downwards" a bit further to the right (looking from the back of the set) than all the other connections (which face all "outwards").

ted.h.

cool. i will have a look for it when i get home tonight :blink:

anyone know if the is there is a way of flicking between 2 channels other than entering them manually e.g if i want to say watch the footy on channel 012 and movie on 070 is there a way to go back and forth without having to each time press 012 or 070. similar to the foxtel remote has a BACK button which basically goes back and forth between them

anyone know if the is there is a way of flicking between 2 channels other than entering them manually e.g if i want to say watch the footy on channel 012 and movie on 070 is there a way to go back and forth without having to each time press 012 or 070. similar to the foxtel remote has a BACK button which basically goes back and forth between them

Nope, sorry. No "swap" button. It sucks, I know, but we are stuck with it.

After the first 100 hours how careful do you need to be to avoid burn, like is it always going to be touch and go or can you relax a bit when the weather and news headlines scroll along the bottom of the tv during Sunrise or the Nine logo sits in the corner of the screen for hours?

Don't panic! (as Douglas Adams would say).

I had the same phobias but after about 250 hrs of use (ie now), the issue with image retention is a non-issue IMO.

I used to get the same issues as you have observed but now it doesn't seem to affect it. Still I would be careful upto 200 odd hours though, no point playing with fire.

I have watched torrented prison break with Fox logo's as bright as a sun in the corner and don't even have any image retention.

Enjoy.

When all else fails, read the manual. It's there on page 35 :blink:

what is a manual? i'm not sure i understand what you're talking about? :D

watched a 40" samsung LCD yesterday in a computer store for 20 mins or so and it was pretty unimpressive compared to the panny.

the 50" px600 is definately the way to go!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tom smud

got my th-50px600a a couple of weeks and had spent at least 6 hours a day buggerizing around with pq setting untill i became completly lost on wat i was trying to achieve

so yesterday i threw on a dvd with a thx optimizer on it ..and surprise surprise...it worked...well 4 me at least

the brightness test worked a treat...i know this because i tested it on dario agentoes "suspiria" the scene where the building is reflected off a pool of water and the girl runs threw it looked perfect

the contrast test wasnt so clear cut ...but after a looking at the test 4 some time i found that the borders of the eight white boxes where significantly clearer on the "normal " rather setting than "cinema ,auto etc" which all displayed fuzzy borders

but there is a moderatly large sweet spot once u get the 4 destint gradients of whitness so there is viewer choose on how white do u want your whites at an wat cost to blacks...but the test deffinatly puts u in the ballpark

the only test i couldnt get my head around was the color...who the frig knows was the colors cyan,and magenta truely look ...so ive left that skin colors to determin....i recomend giving it a go

Guest gumbyprime

I've got a problem with my TH-42PV60A where the image is slightly distorted. The middle of the screen is slightly narrower than that on the outside. I've seen this with an XBOX via Svideo and a HTPC via DVI>HDMI at 720p. Running the HTPC via VGA shows no distortion besides that caused by the rectangular pixels.

HTPC video is via 8800GT. Note Nvidia drivers currently have no overscan correction options. I can't use powerstrip to tweak the signal since it does not support G8.

Anyone with any ideas?

edit Found the reason. The aspect ratio was set to "just" on both inputs for some reason. I'm a gumby...

Edited by gumbyprime

got my th-50px600a a couple of weeks and had spent at least 6 hours a day buggerizing around with pq setting untill i became completly lost on wat i was trying to achieve

so yesterday i threw on a dvd with a thx optimizer on it ..and surprise surprise...it worked...well 4 me at least

the only test i couldnt get my head around was the color...who the frig knows was the colors cyan,and magenta truely look ...so ive left that skin colors to determin....i recomend giving it a go

There used to be colour filter glasses for this purpose that could be purchased from the THX web site - but not available any more.

Other systems like DVE come with the requisite colour filters.

Cheers,

BAC

Guest Mike62

I've had a TH42PX600A since November and been so happy with it I got a TH50PX600A delivered yesterday for another room. One difference I've noticed relates to noise coming from the panel. The 42" is very quiet with only a low buzz heard right next to the unit. I cannot hear it from 2m away. Not so with the 50" I can hear it easily from 3m away, with sound muted. At low volume can also notice it. It changes pitch depending what is displayed on screen. With no display sound is low but is definitely louder when displaying a source. I guess it relates to amount of work power supply is doing.

Anyone noticed similar ?

The 42" is very quiet with only a low buzz heard right next to the unit. I cannot hear it from 2m away. Not so with the 50" I can hear it easily from 3m away, with sound muted. At low volume can also notice it. It changes pitch depending what is displayed on screen. With no display sound is low but is definitely louder when displaying a source. I guess it relates to amount of work power supply is doing.

Anyone noticed similar ?

My 50PX is not audible from more than about 1m away (if that) - similar to your 42" I would say. If the noise in your 50" continues, I would look at getting it swapped.

Tried Persian Immortal's adapted setting for the PX600a and am i the only one that thinks they are garbage?

The colour is bled (its set too low).

The sharpness is ridiculous only 1 increase from base leaves everything pretty lifeless and unclean/blurred. Increase of 3-4 depending on source is more appropriate.

Brightness is set too low. Watch a dark scene and its frankly just...DARK no real particular detail.

Like that Jennifer Connely movie Dark Water which was on at the time was just horrid in dark scenes with those settings they were just dark no particular detail. Had to turn the brightness up to see detail in dark scenes.

I've had a TH42PX600A since November and been so happy with it I got a TH50PX600A delivered yesterday for another room. One difference I've noticed relates to noise coming from the panel. The 42" is very quiet with only a low buzz heard right next to the unit. I cannot hear it from 2m away. Not so with the 50" I can hear it easily from 3m away, with sound muted. At low volume can also notice it. It changes pitch depending what is displayed on screen. With no display sound is low but is definitely louder when displaying a source. I guess it relates to amount of work power supply is doing.

Anyone noticed similar ?

I have the 50" 600a and I haven't noticed any noise at all. I sit about 3-4m away, but I've spent a fair bit of time up close analysing dvd granularity, and haven't noticed it. I'll have a dedicated listen ASAP and report back.

Just had a good hard listen, and although I can hear a very very slight buzzing at 2-3m away, I have to be listening very hard (with the volume off and no other noises in the house). With the volume low, I wasn't 100% sure I could hear the buzz. It certainly wouldn't bother me. With the volume at usual listening level, I'd never be able to hear it (even 1-2m away).

If it's bothering you, I'd be asking for a replacement.

Hope this helps.

Tried Persian Immortal's adapted setting for the PX600a and am i the only one that thinks they are garbage?

Immortal's settings are for the 500 series and specific to his setup (eg, lighting conditions, equipment connected etc). Each installation is different and as such many use PI's settings as a base and then tweak to suit their use.

It may also be that Panny changed things a little between the 500 and 600 series in terms of settings - so again a direct comparison may be difficult.

Ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all I can suggest is set your TV up for your taste/conditions.

(unless you plan on inviting PI over for a drink) :blink:

The colour is bled (its set too low).

The sharpness is ridiculous only 1 increase from base leaves everything pretty lifeless and unclean/blurred. Increase of 3-4 depending on source is more appropriate.

Brightness is set too low. Watch a dark scene and its frankly just...DARK no real particular detail.

Like that Jennifer Connely movie Dark Water which was on at the time was just horrid in dark scenes with those settings they were just dark no particular detail. Had to turn the brightness up to see detail in dark scenes.

I wouldn't say that they are garbage, but i do agree that it looks too dark for my PX600a too. i wonder if that was done for a different model or different version and so is irrelevant to the current range of PX600a?

anyway i'm gonna get the DVE and do my calibration that way