Panasonic Pv60/px600 Owners Thread

sorry ive posted before but havent see anyone with the same problem :blink: so no ps3 owners out there play on the px600?

if there is a person are you playing motorstorm or resistance? im experiencing a very high level of image retention. i may have played it a bit too long last night (maybe 3hrs) but otherwise i would only play for about 1hr or so. even after playing a few minutes immediately the retention happens and this is everytime.

i am really fearing for the life of my plasma and makes me ****ed that i should have gotten lcd instead (i was looking at the bravia 42", even on 8ms i still see a lot of motion blur thats why i chose plasma, i did some reading around the place, even panasonic themselves say burin-in only may occur after 24hr of the same image and they say the chances are very slim yet with 3hrs of motorstorm i can so clearly see the word boost and the position number).

please tell me im not alone and this is common occurance and some 16:9 viewing time will make it go away, like everytime.

sorry if im posting on same issue again and again but im just very worried that one day (at this rate it seems very soon especially since Lair, MGS4 and later FFXIII releasing) im gonna do some permanent damage.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry ive posted before but havent see anyone with the same problem :D so no ps3 owners out there play on the px600?

if there is a person are you playing motorstorm or resistance? im experiencing a very high level of image retention. i may have played it a bit too long last night (maybe 3hrs) but otherwise i would only play for about 1hr or so. even after playing a few minutes immediately the retention happens and this is everytime.

i am really fearing for the life of my plasma and makes me ****ed that i should have gotten lcd instead (i was looking at the bravia 42", even on 8ms i still see a lot of motion blur thats why i chose plasma, i did some reading around the place, even panasonic themselves say burin-in only may occur after 24hr of the same image and they say the chances are very slim yet with 3hrs of motorstorm i can so clearly see the word boost and the position number).

please tell me im not alone and this is common occurance and some 16:9 viewing time will make it go away, like everytime.

sorry if im posting on same issue again and again but im just very worried that one day (at this rate it seems very soon especially since Lair, MGS4 and later FFXIII releasing) im gonna do some permanent damage.

I've noticed temporary image retention on my 42PV60A quite regularly and it can remain visible for quite a while on a darkish background. The good news is it fades away quickly once you display some other content that exercises those parts of the panel that have the retained image. The severity and duration of the retention also seems to be decreasing as the panel clocks up more hours.

In short: Don't worry, be happy! :blink:

Cheers,

BAC

I'd not be too concerned either, especially with recent generation plasmas. My 2 year old 42" Humax retained some slightly disturbing/annoying images early in its life, typically during and after 4:3 images, then the effect seemed to be less and less apparent as the months went by. In fact I quite forgot it had even happened to me until I read of others' more recent concerns here. I'm sure it's not my eyes since the watermarks annoy me just as much as ever, but image retention does seem to be less apparent with usage.

I bought a Panasonic 50PX600A last week and I have a few questions especially about things the often LARGE FONT manual sort of glosses over. It gets very particular filling pages reminding me not to put vases on top of my new TV, but then runs out of paper before explaining some less intuitive features adequately.

The picture settings include 'Auto' which I suspect tweaks the screen settings automatically appropriate to ambient light, right? The menu fails to follow through on this setting since it mentions the C.A.T.S. sensor in the diagram on Page 7, associates C.A.T.S. with 'Auto' on Page 18, but when you go there it simply lists it as one of the 4 options. No explanation as to what it actually adjusts apart from 'picture quality' nor how reactive this system is and if my manual adjustments in 'Auto' mode get re-adjusted soon after?

Using built-in tuner/speakers I get occasional slight lip-sync issues, especially with Ch10 Adelaide. I'd not noticed it before with the built-in tuner on my Humax or via my Toppy (S-Video), but it's happened a few times last week with the new 600A. I'm wondering if one broadcast audio format (DD or MPEG) is prone to this and do we get broadcast an alternative here?

Has there been or is it ever likely to be a PX600A software/firmware upgrade broadcast in Australia? I think I'd be inclined to check this occasionally if it was even remotely contemplated.

Using built-in tuner/speakers I get occasional slight lip-sync issues, especially with Ch10 Adelaide.

Has there been or is it ever likely to be a PX600A software/firmware upgrade broadcast in Australia?

I have had some lip sync issues but very rarely (less than a handful) in the 5 months I have had my unit. I have put these down to broadcast issues

Never noticed any onscreen messages regarding software upgrade broadcast - nor have I heard any news at such

Hi,

I have the 42px600a, and have just set it up yesterday. I am still tinkering with my Harmony 525 to get the activities sorted (ie, changing to AV2 for Foxtel and AV3 for DVD). Has anyone got this working?

I have also hooked up the TV to my amp via optical. The TV receives the signal (DD), however I am getting sound from both the TV speakers and the ones connected to the amp. I have set the Audio settings on the TV to Auto. What am I doing wrong?

thanks,

pitty

Anybody got a screenie of their favourite PX600A picture settings? I used persian immortal's settings by reducing all my bars to absolutely 0 and then increasing them by the increments suggested.

Anywho the resulting image (in my opinion) was dull and really lifeless and yes i hate dynamic if anybody was thinking maybe i prefer that.

Also anybody know definitively what Auto does? Because i was inclined to use it but i'm too disturbed by the possibility its going to consistently screw with my screens black levels in an OBVIOUS way like flickering when it does it which might prove distracting.

Hi,

I have the 42px600a, and have just set it up yesterday. I am still tinkering with my Harmony 525 to get the activities sorted (ie, changing to AV2 for Foxtel and AV3 for DVD). Has anyone got this working?

I have also hooked up the TV to my amp via optical. The TV receives the signal (DD), however I am getting sound from both the TV speakers and the ones connected to the amp. I have set the Audio settings on the TV to Auto. What am I doing wrong?

thanks,

pitty

Yeah, I've got the 525 and have it all working (finally). It was a bit confusing 'cos there wasn't an HDMI direct command. Turns out it's DVI/AVS or something like that. Can't remember exactly. I don't have Foxtel though. Ask away, and if I can answer I will.

Cheers.

I have the 520 (should be same as 525 other than 4 colour buttons). There are commands that you can use called "Inputxxx" which allow you to directly select the input when you set up the activities.

You will need to add a mute command for the TV in your activity.

I am still tinkering with my Harmony 525 to get the activities sorted (ie, changing to AV2 for Foxtel and AV3 for DVD). Has anyone got this working?

search for harmony 525 in the "Home Theatre" section and you'll see there are plenty of threads there.

CCS seems to have you covered for now though.

I have the 520 (should be same as 525 other than 4 colour buttons). There are commands that you can use called "Inputxxx" which allow you to directly select the input when you set up the activities.

You will need to add a mute command for the TV in your activity.

Further to my previous comment, the command for the HDMI input is actually "AVS DVI". There's no "Input..." in it.

Note also that I had to use the "Learn IR" functionality for the following commands, as they didn't work as I expected them to:

• Menu (did nothing by default)
  • DirectionLeft (didn't allow me to go left in menus)
  • DirectionRight (ditto)
  • DirectionUp (changed channels by default, from memory)
  • DirectionDown (ditto, I think)
  • Info (did nothing by default)
  • Exit (ditto)
  • Guide (ditto)

I also programmed the Prev button to change the Aspect (ie. for each relevant activity, I did a "Customize Buttons" and associated the Aspect command with the Prev button). I never use the Prev button to change channels, which is its default use.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

I also programmed the Prev button to change the Aspect (ie. for each relevant activity, I did a "Customize Buttons" and associated the Aspect command with the Prev button). I never use the Prev button to change channels, which is its default use.

Just to clarify, there is no "Previous" button on the original remote or within the menu of the PX, so it cannot carry out this function. If you don't associate another function (like DW), this hard button remains unutilised.

Just to clarify, there is no "Previous" button on the original remote or within the menu of the PX, so it cannot carry out this function. If you don't associate another function (like DW), this hard button remains unutilised.

:blink: That would explain why I never used it! Thanks diesel. Nice clarification. Cheers mate.

BTW, I've just finished tweaking my harmony to accommodate my lack of centre speaker. I find that many tv & dvd productions are just too noisy. I can't hear the dialogue without turning up the volume, and then I wake the kids! I find myself continually turning the volume and sub-woofer levels up and down. I have a dvd player with Dynamic Range Compression, but it doesn't resolve the problem for all/many DVDs. And as far as I know, there's no way to compress the dynamic range on the tv. (And I'm not sure I'd want to as it can deteriorate the overall sound quality anyway.) I'm assuming things would be a fair bit better if I had a centre speaker, but as I don't, I've set up the following activities:

• Quiet TV - runs all audio through the tv's speakers instead of my amp (and turns off unused devices - ie. the amp)
  • Quiet DVD - ditto

This raised some sync issues with tv muting, but I overcame them by sending a mute command to the tv at the start of all activities that use the amp, then sending another mute command (to un-mute) when ending the activity. This last was needed 'cos I often switch between activities (ie. without turning everything off). By un-muting at the end of an activity, I know that whenever I start an activity (whether from an activity switch or a power up), the tv will always be un-muted.

Cheers.

I too used to suffer from this issue with speech being too soft and explosions/music being too loud with my HT, even when I had my dynamic range set for "Midnight" listening on my AVR

I have a JBL 5.1 system with satellite speakers (bought about 5 years ago when I was just starting my HT setup) and had to upgrade my centre speaker to a much larger unit (bought off eBay) and the difference was chalk and cheese. Now speech and music/action during DVDs etc is all very clear and on the same volume

You can adjust the sound menu between "Speech" and "Music" - though the best is to buy a centre speaker.

I too used to suffer from this issue with speech being too soft and explosions/music being too loud with my HT, even when I had my dynamic range set for "Midnight" listening on my AVR

I have a JBL 5.1 system with satellite speakers (bought about 5 years ago when I was just starting my HT setup) and had to upgrade my centre speaker to a much larger unit (bought off eBay) and the difference was chalk and cheese. Now speech and music/action during DVDs etc is all very clear and on the same volume

You can adjust the sound menu between "Speech" and "Music" - though the best is to buy a centre speaker.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I think I'll let the dust settle on the whole TV purchase-partial refund-purchase (+ purchase of xbox, universal remote, dvd player, cables, etc.) before moving on to the centre speaker.

Getting a bit off topic now (and there are all sorts of speaker discussions in other forums on this site), but out of interest, what are the specs of your new centre speaker (that made it a chalk and cheese comparison)? I've been thinking about this one: http://www.e-hifi.com.au/jblhome/Northridg...dualcentre.aspx. Or maybe the next one up: http://www.e-hifi.com.au/jblhome/Northridg...dualcentre.aspx.

Cheers.

Mine very similar to the EC 25, just older. Check eBay there is a seller there selling refurbs with warranty.

You will need to mute the screen speakers as there is IME an ever so slight delay from the digital out ->AVR-> speakers.

Enjoy! :blink:

Guys/Gals

Just out of interest, how many of you Panny owners have wall mounted Vs using the stand or the Panny Cabinet?

I have wall mounted.

Maybe Lyle can organise a Poll? (if it hasn't been done before)

Hi,

Appreciate if any Pani 42Pv60 owner can assist. The TV is currently on sales in NZ and I am quite keen of getting it. One thing I can't find about this TV on Panasonic web site or its user manual is the HDCP support. HDCP support is listed on some of the Panasonic LCD but not on the Plasma TV. Does it support HDCP? Thanks :blink:

Guest JimboTHX1138
Hi,

Appreciate if any Pani 42Pv60 owner can assist. The TV is currently on sales in NZ and I am quite keen of getting it. One thing I can't find about this TV on Panasonic web site or its user manual is the HDCP support. HDCP support is listed on some of the Panasonic LCD but not on the Plasma TV. Does it support HDCP? Thanks :blink:

I have a 42pv60 and yes it does have HDCP. All HDMI equipment is naturally HDCP compliant. It is DVI that doesn't have to be. I have a STB and a DVD player connected via HDMI and have had no problems.

I have a 42pv60a and am having some troubles using it with the htpc

1280*720 @ 50hz gives the best image so far for dtv but this causes the edge of the desktop to extend beyond the panel ie 1280 dots into a 1024 space.

Is there nowhere in the tv setup that lets you scale the image to fit the screen. Theres nothing in setup or picture, maybe in the service menu?

Vid is a nvidia 7900gs over DVI to HDMI, Ive tried VGA but the image quality is a bit more saturated wth HDMI.

Uisng the latest Nvidia drivers and control panel Ive tried most options/combinations.

Overall the image quality as a HTPC doesnt seem as good as dedicated HDSTB which is a little disappointing :blink:

the pc is up to spec. e4300C2d @2.9, 2gb ram, clean install xp, etc etc

Ive searched most of the archives but still no silver bullet!

Any feedback appreciated

I have a 42pv60a and am having some troubles using it with the htpc

1280*720 @ 50hz gives the best image so far for dtv but this causes the edge of the desktop to extend beyond the panel ie 1280 dots into a 1024 space.

Is there nowhere in the tv setup that lets you scale the image to fit the screen. Theres nothing in setup or picture, maybe in the service menu?

Page 27 of the PX600 series has some suggestions - not sure if this is the silver bullet though

Manual

Hi all....

Does anyone know if there is any limitation on the size of SD Card you can use with the TH42PX600A

the user manual shows details of how much you can expect to record on cards up to 1GB but not beyond....

i am in the market for an SD card but didnt wanna buy one thats too big then find out later...

Hi, I was in the market for a new tv and came across the Viera TH-50PX600A 50 inch (127cm) Plasma IDTV (HD) for cheaper than I expected, the TV is $3200. Is it worth the price? Or is there a better deal for a Plasma of a different brand or LCD tv for similar price that is just as good or better?

The TV - http://www.panasonic.com.au/products/detai...?productID=5216

Where I'm buying - http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/as...rranty=5YPT4000

Thanks

p.s. Sorry to hijack the thread, however I couldn't find out how to start a topic of my own (comes up with an error).