Sign in to follow this  
stubbey

Panasonic Pv60/px600 Owners Thread

Hello pany owners,i just got a th50pv60 and thought i would share my experiences,i am running the settings all below 50 for run in purposes so i will not worry about dve calibration till after 100hrs or so.i am stoked with the picture,the blacks are black!even the old vcr looks acceptable,(i previously had a dlp and the vcr looked sh**)hd looks great &sd/foxtel is very good.all and all i'm all smiles.cheers for now pete.

Hello pany owners,i just got a th50pv60 and thought i would share my experiences,i am running the settings all below 50 for run in purposes so i will not worry about dve calibration till after 100hrs or so.i am stoked with the picture,the blacks are black!even the old vcr looks acceptable,(i previously had a dlp and the vcr looked sh**)hd looks great &sd/foxtel is very good.all and all i'm all smiles.cheers for now pete.

Weldone. My plasma Th42PV60A been here for nearly 3weeks and all setings are in 50(contrast, brightness, color temperature standard). I wasn't a panasonic fan until see the pq and real black after i purchased this. I was going for Pioneer.

I like the black. How much did you pay for yours? Did you get extended warranty? What set top box are you using?

pathmaraja@gmail.com for further contacts.

i am using a panasonic hd/stb,payed $3600 plus $250 for 2yrs extra warranty.cheers pete.

Hello all

Got my PX600 nearly 5 months ago and have been very happy with it's performance....until...

Channel 7HD (70) is now in 1080i and when watching some shows (Dancing with the Stars, Australia's got Talent) I have begun to notice blocky picture especially during pans or fast movement. Since noticing this, it also appears on 10HD especially Biggest Loser. (Please, no jokes about the shows :D . The TV is for the wife to enjoy too!). 9HD,2HD shows seem to be OK.

Now, is it because;

1. The scaler/tuner in the TV is not coping too well with the 1080i signal to 1366x768 display conversion, or

2. Being 'reality' shows they use different cameras :blink:

3. (Suggestions)

Could this be rectified by buying a PVR and using the tuner in it to downscale to 720p before passing signal to TV?

Anybody else notice/have this issue??

Channel 7HD (70) is now in 1080i and when watching some shows (Dancing with the Stars, Australia's got Talent) I have begun to notice blocky picture especially during pans or fast movement.

Its the low bitrates the tv stations use for HD. Its not a fault of the display.

Does anyone know how to get into the service menu of a 42PX600a?

Its the low bitrates the tv stations use for HD. Its not a fault of the display.

Does anyone know how to get into the service menu of a 42PX600a?

Thanks Wired. Does the bit rates change for different shows, eg LOST, Greys Anatomy don't seem to suffer from this issue?

Link to TH42 Series Service Settings

Hi all,

Had my PV60A for quite some time now. Love it. Much better PQ than the Samsung R71 40" LCD I had for a couple of weeks. Not sure if the LCDs have improved their colour range and motion-blur - would be interested to know.

Reason for my post - got a Playstation3 last week and was pleasantly surprised to find that the PV60 accepted a 1080p input over HDMI. The PV60 manual says it only accepts up to 1080i, but it displays my PS3 1080p signal without any problems. Won't do 1080p over component, but HDMI - not a problem.

Just in case there are others out there in same boat - give it a try. You might need a HDMI 1.3 cable (yes - there are versions) to get the 1080p.

JB

JB

You sure the PS3 isn't outputting 1080i over the HDMI. Can you set out put resolution on the PS3?

If what you say is correct I am feeling much happier about my purchase (PX600 series) :blink:

JB

You sure the PS3 isn't outputting 1080i over the HDMI. Can you set out put resolution on the PS3?

If what you say is correct I am feeling much happier about my purchase (PX600 series) :blink:

Pretty sure. Yes - you can set the PS3 to output 1080p. You can even "test" the resolution - and confirm that it works. Strangely enough - every other resolution I output to the Pana (576i,p, 720p, 1080i) will say so when you hit the "info" button for the TV. ie - the Pana will say 720p or 1080i on-screen to let you know what is being inputted over the HDMI. But when the PS3 sends 1080p to the TV the Pana doesn't report any resolution. It's just blank where the numbers would normally be.

So it seems to my that it's a non-supported-but-luckily-just-works resolution.

Mind you - I'm sure all the TV does is then downscale it to the native res of the panel - but hopefully it might cut down on one of the scaling operations (ie it doesn't need to upscale it to 1080p first like it says it does to all the other resolutions).

Am I making sense? I'd be interested to know if anyone else is able to do this. I also suspect it's reliant on using an 1.3 version HDMI cable.

BTW - for what its worth I'm jealous of your PX600 :-) Should be the same panel, but I like the idea of the built-in tuner and the better looking plastics. You made a fine choice!

JB

Thanks JB - I was ready to jump in a while before, but was holding off for Pana/Pio etc to bring out DVB models before I pulled the trigger

It's a shame though the 600 series don't show the resolution through the "info" button

It's a shame though the 600 series don't show the resolution through the "info" button

Really? Maybe it only displays the res when using the HDMI input? I haven't checked the others...

JB.

From the settings link

Most new Pana PX600 owners would be aware that the picture adjustment options on these sets do not contain any numerical representation of the settings, just a slider bar minus numbers or percentages.

This makes tweaking to any degree of accuracy a bit hit and miss, not to mention trying to go back to settings that you found worked well if they have been changed by somebody else.

Many of us new PX600 owners have wanted to try out PersianImmortals settings, so I've had a go at translating them across to the PX600.

All I've done is take the numbers PersianImmortal arrived at (which were out of 100) and derive an approximation of what they would be on the PX600 slider bar based on the number of increments the PX600 slider bar has.

The PX600 has:

63 increments for Contrast, Brightness, and Colour, and

6 increments for Sharpness.

DVI->HDMI (HD STB)

Mode: Standard

Contrast: 78 (63 * .78 = 49.14 = 49 increments on the PX600)

Brightness: 29 (63 * .29 = 18.27 = 18 increments on the PX600)

Color: 37 (63 * .37 = 23.31 = 23 increments on the PX600)

Sharpness: 20 (6 * .20 = 1.2 = 1 increment on the PX600)

Color Temp: Standard

Color Management: Off

MPEG NR: Off

Color Matrix: HD

Ch Color Set: Middle

Component (DVD)

Mode: Standard

Contrast: 78 (63 * .78 = 49.14 = 49 increments on the PX600)

Brightness: 29 (63 * .29 = 18.27 = 18 increments on the PX600)

Color: 63 (63 * .63 = 39.69 = 40 increments on the PX600)

Sharpness: 20 (6 * .20 = 1.2 = 1 increment on the PX600)

Color Temp: Standard

D.PNR: Off

Color Matrix: HD

Hope this helps.

It's a top panel. No doubt. & it loves being fed a HD signal through my PVR via HDMI.

Hi all,

Had my PV60A for quite some time now. Love it. Much better PQ than the Samsung R71 40" LCD I had for a couple of weeks. Not sure if the LCDs have improved their colour range and motion-blur - would be interested to know.

Reason for my post - got a Playstation3 last week and was pleasantly surprised to find that the PV60 accepted a 1080p input over HDMI. The PV60 manual says it only accepts up to 1080i, but it displays my PS3 1080p signal without any problems. Won't do 1080p over component, but HDMI - not a problem.

Just in case there are others out there in same boat - give it a try. You might need a HDMI 1.3 cable (yes - there are versions) to get the 1080p.

JB

JB,

Have you tested BluRay movies yet? How do they compare to SD DVDs on your PV60A. I'm thinking of picking up a PS3, but i've been told I won't notice much difference between my current setup which upscales SD DVDs to 720p/1080i & a PS3/BluRay setup.

BTW, these are the HDMI cables i'm using http://www.avico.com.au/products/products....39&qs4=4515 Don't know whether they're 1.3 or earlier versions though.

Hey Ralfi,

No - haven't tried any HD DVD/BR movies yet. Waiting on the freebie Sony are supposed to be mailing me now I've got my PS3. Could be a couple of weeks...

I have no idea what HDMI cable I have other than it's 1.3. The box it came in is completely void of any brandname whatsoever which I find slightly odd. The only thing it says is V1.3 and FORPS3 (almost 1 word). Got it free with my PS3. Looking at the one in your link I'm afraid I have no idea if it will work or not. Sorry.

JB

Hi,

I'd like to ask the people contributing to this thread if they might have an answer to a question I asked elsewhere:

Hdmi Digital Audio Passthrough

DVD + PVR + TV audio through a single optical output?

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=48265

"Hi,

I'm about to buy a TV & an upscaling DVD player & I already have an HD PVR STB and I've just realised that I'm not going to have enough digital inputs on my receiver. I'm wondering whether, if the DVD & PVR are connected to the TV via HDMI, & the TV has an audio optical-out connected to my receiver, will all the information from each source reach the receiver in its original form? Will the TV attempt to decode it & perhaps downmix it to stereo?

The TV I will probably buy is the Panasonic 50PX600A, or maybe the new 70/700 if I can wait that long...

Thanks."

If anyone has a definitive answer to this question, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again.

Help!!!!!

I have a big problem (i think) with my recently purchased 42pv60a.

I'll copy and paste from another site with the same problem:

("(1) The black level is appalling. Washed out dark grey is the best way to describe a black screen on this set.

(2) The model appears to me messing around with altering (most notably in scenes which involve darker areas) the brightness. One film I was trying to watch this evening, the brightness was just jumping up & down every so often especially when it's a dark scene and a bit of white detail comes in.

When credits come up on a black screen, the brightness of the black is moving up/down (fluctuations/flickering) in sympathy with the appearance/disappearance of the white text.")

I don't know what to do about it, do I have a faulty panel or is there a fix to it by adjusting the settings?

Should I look at returning it? Anyone else have this problem too?

I'm still in the break-in period, would the problem go away after this?

My video settings are:

Contrast: 45

Brightness: 35

Colour: 52

Sharpness: 35

Color Temp: Warm

Please help! Thanks.

I'm about to buy a TV & an upscaling DVD player & I already have an HD PVR STB and I've just realised that I'm not going to have enough digital inputs on my receiver. I'm wondering whether, if the DVD & PVR are connected to the TV via HDMI, & the TV has an audio optical-out connected to my receiver, will all the information from each source reach the receiver in its original form? Will the TV attempt to decode it & perhaps downmix it to stereo?

The TV I will probably buy is the Panasonic 50PX600A, or maybe the new 70/700 if I can wait that long...

I have the PX50" and it'll do what you want - ie PVR/DVD connection through HDMI on TV, and sound through to AVR via optical out of TV

("(1) The black level is appalling. Washed out dark grey is the best way to describe a black screen on this set.

(2) The model appears to me messing around with altering (most notably in scenes which involve darker areas) the brightness. One film I was trying to watch this evening, the brightness was just jumping up & down every so often especially when it's a dark scene and a bit of white detail comes in.

When credits come up on a black screen, the brightness of the black is moving up/down (fluctuations/flickering) in sympathy with the appearance/disappearance of the white text.")

I don't know what to do about it, do I have a faulty panel or is there a fix to it by adjusting the settings?

Sounds like a faulty panel :blink:

Guest JimboTHX1138
Help!!!!!

My video settings are:

Please help! Thanks.

Sounds like the problem i had with a 500a, it turned out to be a faulty sustainer board. Return it now if you can and get it swapped over.

Help!!!!!

My video settings are:

Please help! Thanks.

Sounds like the problem i had with a 500a, it turned out to be a faulty sustainer board. Return it now if you can and get it swapped over.

damn this pisses me off, i just bought it two weeks ago.

Channel 7HD (70) is now in 1080i and when watching some shows (Dancing with the Stars, Australia's got Talent) I have begun to notice blocky picture especially during pans or fast movement. Since noticing this, it also appears on 10HD especially Biggest Loser... Anybody else notice/have this issue??

Hi diesel,

Not sure if it's the same problem, but it sounds mighty similar to a problem I get quite a bit on my LG 50PC3D. (I only found your post coincidentally 'cos I've been considering 'trading in' the LG for the 600a.)

Take a look at my description of the symptoms I'm getting: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=628886. Note that I've looked at 4 other, more recent, LG 50" plasmas, and they all have the same problem. A friend of mine also has the same LG as me and has the same problems with The Biggest Loser. I also compared one to the 600a today, and the Panny seemed free of the symptoms. However, I will qualify that by saying that they were only very minor on the LG too. I'd like to watch The Biggest Loser on a Panny and see if it's having the same issues.

I'd be very interested to see if you think my description matches your problem...

I note in one of the replies to you, there was mention of the bit rate for HD. I have a couple of questions about this:

1. I didn't think The Biggest Loser was actually HD, even though it is on the HD channel. It's certainly not listed in 'What's in HD this week' at http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=28574. I figured it was SD.
  2. The problems I'm seeing, while only SD (as far as I know), aren't evident in ALL SD. So I figured it must be something other than just that. Just don't have the technical expertise to guess what. Does anyone know if the bit rate on The Biggest Loser is the same as that on Bondi Rescue?

Cheers.

I've got a question on solarization/blooming between the diff components on the 42PV60A.

I've called up panasonic about it and a guy looked at it running and said it was "normal for plasmas" :blink: this left me pretty unsatisfied so did some more testing since component via the xbox 360 looked much better than what I was getting via the S-Video on xbox or an old SD STB. So... today I took some rough screenshots of a grayscale test pattern to demo the problem.

VGA: Everything looks ok here

S-Video: Brightness 55, the three white bars on the right merge into one here

S-Video: Brightness 0, I get one white bar back and lose some black here

* Assume all settings at standard and ~50 this is not what I normally run at but just to keep things the same between shots.

Edited by gumbyprime

Does anyone know if I can upgrade the firmware on the 42pv60a?

Does anyone know if I can upgrade the firmware on the 42pv60a?

Which part of the firmware and for what purpose?

ATM, the only firmware issue that I know of with the 42" is the purple snakes.

In any event, I'm pretty sure there is no way for a user to upgrade anything on the PV, but it should be possible on the PX via the SD card slot.

Cheers,

BAC

Help!!!!!

My video settings are:

Please help! Thanks.

What picture mode (Dynamic/Standard/Cinema) are you using?

Cheers,

BAC

What picture mode (Dynamic/Standard/Cinema) are you using?

Cheers,

BAC

Standard.