Sony Dvpns76h

I have run this dvd player on a 4:3 and 16:9 television. On the 4:3 television the aspect ratio is automatically aligned to the television. On the 16:9 display there is an aspect ratio button with the options 4:3, 16:9 or panorama and if i select 16:9 then the aspect ratio of divx playback is correct.

Select full in the DVD player menu, try the TV input menu, or zoom button, I have no trouble with any aspect ratio video, RTFM...

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good to see that some people have had a perfect Sony experience with this DVD player.

Yesterday I returned my 2 month old unit to DJs as the unit had died after about 4 uses. None of the buttons on the unit would work and the unit would only turn on sometimes using the remote control.

I returned it to DJs as Sony wants to repair the unit (not replace it) and wanted me to drive to their Roseberry repair centre which is no where near where I live or work. Now I have a 4 week wait (suggested minimum) for the unit to be returned.

After spending well over $5000 in one transaction for a Sony TV and DVD I am not happy with DJ's or Sony's repair-only stance.

Guest JimboTHX1138

I've been wondering why the progressive light is still activated at 1080i. Does anyone know why this is? Could it be we are actually watching 1080p rather than 1080i?

• 3 weeks later...

Bought one of these yesterday from JB Hifi Chatswood for $160. Great player - really didn't expect the upscaling to make such a huge difference. Have it connected via HDMI to a KDL46X2000.

Still can't fathom how cheap this thing is considering what it is capable of...

Submariner, I cannot download this file.

Can you tell me how to download it.

Herbernator.

When the site come up, there is a column which has the heading "Free" at the top and a button with "Free" at the bottom. Click the "Free" button and it will go to a page with a timer, wait for the timer to coundown to zero. You will then go to another page with download sites. Leave it on the default site, unless there are problems with the default site, don't change it. Type the letters/numbers into the "here:" box and then press the Return key and it will start downloading.

Service Menu:

In standby mode, press [TOP MENU], [CLEAR], [POWER]
Need to press them in sequence, not at the same time.

Probably not a good idea to check out all the options in the Service Menu, until you read the Service Manual and learn what the options do.

I bought one of the first Sonys to get to Australia. My version, using Service Menu is:

Model Name: DPX-2080_EC

IF-con: Ver. 1.001(9103)

Syscon: Ver. 1.020

4. on menu

Firmware Main: Ver. 1.020

Firmware Sub: 00.HL

When the site come up, there is a column which has the heading "Free" at the top and a button with "Free" at the bottom. Click the "Free" button and it will go to a page with a timer, wait for the timer to coundown to zero. You will then go to another page with download sites. Leave it on the default site, unless there are problems with the default site, don't change it. Type the letters/numbers into the "here:" box and then press the Return key and it will start downloading.

Thanks, the trouble was my downloader was getting in the way. Once disabled, the file downloaded perfectly.

Herbernator.

• 2 weeks later...

Guest JimboTHX1138

The Secrets Bencmark tests for this player are in, it's listed as DVPNS75H as that's the American version. They gave it a score of 85 which is very good. They say it's the best progressive scan player they've tested from Sony regardless of price.

http:\\www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133

The Secrets Bencmark tests for this player are in, it's listed as DVPNS75H as that's the American version. They gave it a score of 85 which is very good. They say it's the best progressive scan player they've tested from Sony regardless of price.

http:\\www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133

Excellent to see that... I used that site when I was shopping around and was dissapointed to not see it in there. Great score and review.

The American version is different in that it does not have DivX playback (ha ha :blink: ) and is region locked.

So, we get the same superb quality plus DivX playback to boot... hurrah!

Excellent to see that... I used that site when I was shopping around and was dissapointed to not see it in there. Great score and review.

The American version is different in that it does not have DivX playback (ha ha :D ) and is region locked.

So, we get the same superb quality plus DivX playback to boot... hurrah!

I have been very happy with my sony, it will do until the bluray hddvd war sorts iself out. :blink:

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Sony DVP-NS76H. I was initially very happy with it; it's quite a bit better than my $70 Sansui DVD player. However, after watching a few more movies (other than the animations like Ice Age, Over the Hedge, etc. with my kids), I'm thinking less and less of it. (I have a 50" LG plasma with NO inbuilt upscaling function.)

To date, the Sony just doesn't compare to my modded original xbox with XBMC (at least in terms of upscaling - it's certainly better for colour and clarity, as the xbox is only component). When watching dark scenes with faces and people moving around, there is a lot of striping of the skin - particularly around the edges of the face (hairline, nose, jawline). It seems to struggle to deliver a smooth transition of dark to light on skin. I don't know the technical terms for these symptoms, sorry. It's very like watching SD on the 50" HD plasma.

I've tried the same scenes with the xbox, and it's absolutely perfect, so it's not a TV setting.

I just watched '1492 - Conquest of Paradise', and it was, in fact, so bad that I'm beginning to wonder whether I've missed some basic setting like 'Turn Upscaling On'. Or perhaps I just got a faulty unit? It sounds crazy, I know... It's just that with some movies (I can't say "all" yet, 'cos I haven't tested enough) the Sony seems to be about the same quality as SD TV (which isn't good). It's nowhere near HD, and nowhere near the results delivered by the modded xbox. I'm very disappointed. I had expected the results to be better than SD.

It's also fairly ordinary with 'The Matrix' and 'Children of Men'. 'Terminator 2' seemed ok, but I only tested the opening scene.

NOTE: I've tried tweaking the Custom Picture Mode, BNR, MNR & Sharpness settings, but to no avail.

I know I said it's better than my Sansui, and I still think it is. But the Sansui was WORSE than watching SD TV.

Can anyone help? Is there a setting I'm missing? Do I have a faulty player? Or are some movies just harder to upscale? I'd love to show you the results I'm getting, but I don't know if I can do a screen capture, and it wouldn't show the fault to full effect anyway, as it's most evident when there's motion.

Cheers.

Guest JimboTHX1138

You very well may have a faulty unit, because neither i or others i know have experienced such problems. Infact it is very, very good, equivelent to players two or three times it's price. Have you turned on upscaling. You have to go into the set-up menu, but you can only do this in stop mode and not when a DVD is playing. You will see something that say's "HDMI resolution", then force it onto 1080i instead of auto or 576p or whatever it's on now. Try that and report back.

In a different thread about your TV,

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry628886

You have explained the exact same problems when watching other SD material on your TV, because you mention The Biggest Loser which as far as i know isn't even on DVD. And i see someone else has the same problem with there panel as you. So why are you blaming these faults on a perfect, top-notch DVD player when you know theres something wrong with your TV.

Edited by JimboTHX1138

You very well may have a faulty unit, because neither i or others i know have experienced such problems. Infact it is very, very good, equivelent to players two or three times it's price. Have you turned on upscaling. You have to go into the set-up menu, but you can only do this in stop mode and not when a DVD is playing. You will see something that say's "HDMI resolution", then force it onto 1080i instead of auto or 576p or whatever it's on now. Try that and report back.

Yep, definitely set to 1080i (I've also tried 720p).

In a different thread about your TV,

You have explained the exact same problems when watching other SD material on your TV, because you mention The Biggest Loser which as far as i know isn't even on DVD. And i see someone else has the same problem with there panel as you. So why are you blaming these faults on a perfect, top-notch DVD player when you know theres something wrong with your TV.

Definitely have similar symptoms when watching SD TV. However, as these problems don't occur when watching the same scenes with the modded xbox, it can't be the TV.

As to whether there's "something wrong" with my TV, to my knowledge, the symptoms I've described aren't uncommon on large screen plasmas when watching SD TV.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not TRYING to find fault with the Sony. It's just the fault is jumping out at me...

Guest JimboTHX1138
Yep, definitely set to 1080i (I've also tried 720p).

Definitely have similar symptoms when watching SD TV. However, as these problems don't occur when watching the same scenes with the modded xbox, it can't be the TV.

As to whether there's "something wrong" with my TV, to my knowledge, the symptoms I've described aren't uncommon on large screen plasmas when watching SD TV.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not TRYING to find fault with the Sony. It's just the fault is jumping out at me...

This problem has never been heard of before. So either you have a faulty player or a faulty TV. I have never seen any such problems like the ones described on my Panasonic plasmas.

This problem has never been heard of before. So either you have a faulty player or a faulty TV. I have never seen any such problems like the ones described on my Panasonic plasmas.

Thanks again JimboTHX1138. Appreciate your time and help.

Can I just ask, do you have / watch any of the movies noted in my previous posts? (Not the animations...) If so, do you notice ANYTHING that you'd consider a flaw in the reproduction of the Sony? And you're watching on a big plasma, from memory, too aren't you? I ask, 'cos I could count on one hand the number of scenes in '1492...' that I didn't notice some pretty annoying problems. If you're getting squeaky clean reproduction, then surely there can't be that much difference... Surely that would indicate that either my particular Sony unit or my TV is the problem. (Given that everything looks great through the xbox, I can only assume that it's the unit.)

What about everyone else? (Sorry JimboTHX1138; it's not that I don't trust your opinion, I'd just like to hear the experiences of others too, especially if I'm gonna spend valuable time chasing an exchange / refund.)

I'll await your next answer, then consider my options re calling for an exchange.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

To date, the Sony just doesn't compare to my modded original xbox with XBMC (at least in terms of upscaling - it's certainly better for colour and clarity, as the xbox is only component).

<SNIP>

However, as these problems don't occur when watching the same scenes with the modded xbox, it can't be the TV.

Hmmm, are you watching the LG using component cable with the Xbox and HDMI cable withe the Sony DVD player? If you are, it is possible the HDMI input on the LG is where the problem occurs and that would be a problem with the TV. Maybe try using the Sony with component cable, although IMO, HDMI looks a lot better than the component picture with the Sony.

BTW I use a 42" NEC plasma and don't have your problems.

Guest JimboTHX1138
Thanks again JimboTHX1138. Appreciate your time and help.

Can I just ask, do you have / watch any of the movies noted in my previous posts? (Not the animations...) If so, do you notice ANYTHING that you'd consider a flaw in the reproduction of the Sony? And you're watching on a big plasma, from memory, too aren't you? I ask, 'cos I could count on one hand the number of scenes in '1492...' that I didn't notice some pretty annoying problems. If you're getting squeaky clean reproduction, then surely there can't be that much difference... Surely that would indicate that either my particular Sony unit or my TV is the problem. (Given that everything looks great through the xbox, I can only assume that it's the unit.)

What about everyone else? (Sorry JimboTHX1138; it's not that I don't trust your opinion, I'd just like to hear the experiences of others too, especially if I'm gonna spend valuable time chasing an exchange / refund.)

I'll await your next answer, then consider my options re calling for an exchange.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

I have said that i have not experienced any of the problems you mention with the Sony, out of the ones you specify i have seen The Matrix but i'm getting great PQ.

Have you read what other people think of the Sony starting from the beginning of this topic, or another review:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=43951

I've giving you the link to the Secrets Benchmarks of this player before, where they run every test imaginable:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/sho...mp;articles=133

If you think it's the player then take it back and try the Oppo OPDV971H which has Faroudja which you were considering before, here is the Benchmarks for that player, it scored 96.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/sho...manufacturer=68

But IMO there is nothing wrong with the player and the end result will be the same because i think it's a fault with the TV as you have said before about poor PQ with other SD material, and someone else with your TV is experiencing the same thing.

I think the Sony is great, it's a pity you haven't had the same experience.

Hi guys,

Thanks again for your help.

I have said that i have not experienced any of the problems you mention with the Sony, out of the ones you specify i have seen The Matrix but i'm getting great PQ.

Any possibility you could do a screen capture of the introduction of the scene where Neo says, "I know Kung Fu."? I think this is chapter 15 (at least it is on my DVD). I'd love to have something objective to compare with. I'd love to see one of the closeup of his face as he's lying in the chair as the camera pans onto him from behind the monitor.

Have you read what other people think of the Sony starting from the beginning of this topic, or another review:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=43951

Yep, read all the reviews I could find.

I've giving you the link to the Secrets Benchmarks of this player before, where they run every test imaginable:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/sho...mp;articles=133

I appreciate that. However, as the player obviously isn't perfect, there are always going to be some flaws. I'm experiencing some, but I don't know what to call them, how to measure them or how to illustrate them. So the benchmarks are interesting, but they don't really help me with my problem.

But IMO there is nothing wrong with the player and the end result will be the same because i think it's a fault with the TV as you have said before about poor PQ with other SD material, and someone else with your TV is experiencing the same thing.

The problem discussed in that post is with SD TV. There's no upscaling going on there. The LG plasma obviously has a bit of trouble displaying SD picture that HASN'T been upscaled. Here, we're talking about similar symptoms AFTER upscaling through the Sony. What's more, those symptoms only occur with one of my two upscaling DVD players.

So here's my guess at what we're looking at here (in order of most likely to least likely):

1. The Sony doesn't do a 100% job on the upscaling, resulting in some SD-like signal getting through, and my plasma doesn't pick up the shortfall effectively. (Thus the similarity with the SD TV signal discussed in the thread above.) Whether this is a fault or just how the player is, I couldn't say.
  2. The HDMI input on my plasma is dodgy. (As pointed out by Submariner, the xbox is outputting its perfectly upscaled pic through component.)
  3. The HDMI cable is dodgy.

Problem is, it'll take me quite a while to identify which - if any - of the above is the case, 'cos it's so difficult to measure and record anything objectively.

I'll do a bit more research and report back. In the meantime, if anyone has anything else they'd like to add that might help me, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers.

Guest JimboTHX1138
Hi guys,

Thanks again for your help.

Any possibility you could do a screen capture of the introduction of the scene where Neo says, "I know Kung Fu."? I think this is chapter 15 (at least it is on my DVD). I'd love to have something objective to compare with. I'd love to see one of the closeup of his face as he's lying in the chair as the camera pans onto him from behind the monitor.

Yep, read all the reviews I could find.

I appreciate that. However, as the player obviously isn't perfect, there are always going to be some flaws. I'm experiencing some, but I don't know what to call them, how to measure them or how to illustrate them. So the benchmarks are interesting, but they don't really help me with my problem.

The problem discussed in that post is with SD TV. There's no upscaling going on there. The LG plasma obviously has a bit of trouble displaying SD picture that HASN'T been upscaled. Here, we're talking about similar symptoms AFTER upscaling through the Sony. What's more, those symptoms only occur with one of my two upscaling DVD players.

So here's my guess at what we're looking at here (in order of most likely to least likely):

1. The Sony doesn't do a 100% job on the upscaling, resulting in some SD-like signal getting through, and my plasma doesn't pick up the shortfall effectively. (Thus the similarity with the SD TV signal discussed in the thread above.) Whether this is a fault or just how the player is, I couldn't say.
  2. The HDMI input on my plasma is dodgy. (As pointed out by Submariner, the xbox is outputting its perfectly upscaled pic through component.)
  3. The HDMI cable is dodgy.

Problem is, it'll take me quite a while to identify which - if any - of the above is the case, 'cos it's so difficult to measure and record anything objectively.

I'll do a bit more research and report back. In the meantime, if anyone has anything else they'd like to add that might help me, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers.

I find it funny that no one else has experienced your problems with the Sony, but your still so sure the player is at fault. Seeing that someone else with your TV is experiencing the same with SD material, the problem is likely within your TV, maybe a dodgy HDMI input as described before. I don't have the time at the moment to do a screen capture for you but have told you that the picture is flawless. I think it would be better for you to post some screen captures to better illustrate the problems your having, seeing that you are having trouble describing it and so your problem can be better diagnosed.

I find it funny that no one else has experienced your problems with the Sony, but your still so sure the player is at fault.

It's not that I think the player is 'at fault'. It's more that I suspect the particular combination of the Sony and my LG plasma isn't a good one (so there's no real fault at all). Perhaps everyone else has a plasma that handles SD signal better than the LG, and therefore handle any of the player's shortfalls better. (Obviously the player isn't perfect or the benchmarks would have given it 100%.)

Seeing that someone else with your TV is experiencing the same with SD material, the problem is likely within your TV, maybe a dodgy HDMI input as described before.

The problem that the other person was having was with SD TV, not upscaling of SD to HD. Therefore, no HDMI cable was involved.

I don't have the time at the moment to do a screen capture for you but have told you that the picture is flawless. I think it would be better for you to post some screen captures to better illustrate the problems your having, seeing that you are having trouble describing it and so your problem can be better diagnosed.

I'd be more than happy to, but I don't think my TV has that functionality. At least, I haven't discovered it yet. Is there some standard way of doing it that I don't know about, or does there have to be an option in the menus somewhere?

Cheers.