Official Hd Dvd Owners Thread

Not bad for a combo drive - you'll get best of both worlds. :)

US contacts advised against it and to instead get a PS3 + Toshiba E3 HD DVD but pricing for these locally or as imports could be a lot more $ and hassle than tracking thoise down on Amazon etc.

Thanks for the comment and I hope it works!

B

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Just thought we should start a new Thread as the other one i started (power-buy) isn't really applicable anymore, and now has over 394 posts.

So I thought it would be a good place to start HD DVD talk in here from owners or those wanting to buy soon. Mine comes tommorrow or wed so hopefully ill have something to add in the next few days and how it compares to dvd upscaled, hd tv and xbox360 HD Trailers.

*No Blu-ray trolling please. If your into that format or want to argue which is better, start another topic. Lets try and keep this informative, and about the topic description. (see how long that lasts !) :P

hey guys new to these forums....

I'm a proud HD-DVD owners (360 add-on) with about 70 movies/ Well my 360 add-on just karked it. So i'm on the look out for a stand-alone player. Unfortunately in Australia you can't get em anymore, well not where I'm looking. So could anyone tell me please where I could get a reasonably priced HD-DVD player online or in a store????

I don't frequent these forums much so if u know of a place please email @ jasonvoncina@yahoo.com

thanks for your help guys and gals

DINGOES

hey guys new to these forums....

I'm a proud HD-DVD owners (360 add-on) with about 70 movies/ Well my 360 add-on just karked it. So i'm on the look out for a stand-alone player. Unfortunately in Australia you can't get em anymore, well not where I'm looking. So could anyone tell me please where I could get a reasonably priced HD-DVD player online or in a store????

I don't frequent these forums much so if u know of a place please email @ jasonvoncina@yahoo.com

thanks for your help guys and gals

DINGOES

I'm thinking i might buy one of these for my HTPC

http://www.netplus.com.au/products-detail....e=OPLG%2DGGCH20

reads HD-DVD, Bluray and DVD... not a bad price i suppose..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I think I'm asking this question in the right place. Currently have X-BOX 360 Add-On and another one for a back-up. My collection has almost burgeoned on the rediculous and it leads me to a question, is it worth purchasing a stand-alone player. I currently have my Add-on connected via HDMI to my 1080p TV, but have sound going through an Optical Digital cable to my Samsung Blu-Ray system (7.1). After reading Wonderchilds review of the Ad-On, I was wondering if it was worth trying to source an EP-10 for a reasonable price. Doe's anyone know if the EP-10 has an optical audio out? As you may guess, I'm not going to spend another couple of grand getting a new system when my BLU already does all of it's equivalent of HD. Would probably get it for an improved picture quality. Can anyone also confirm that an optical audio cable can only provide 5.1 DD & DTS. Sorry for the rediculous amount of questions.

Best Regards,

Mathew

The EP-10 has an optical out, however, optical won't fully support the 'new' audio formats but will handle your basic audio formats, and i'm not sure what the AVR's capabilities and such are anyways with regards to support/upconverting, etc. Optical doesn't have the bandwidth. You need HDMI or can also use multi-channel analgoue connections i have heard, but never tried. I've confused myself at this stage (lol), so i hope i have meant what i intended.

For a sizeable collection such as yours, you may benefit from the change, but it is only half the experience really if the sound is not being upgraded with it (by that i mean if your Samsung system doesn't take the 'new' audio formats; not implying to upgrade your new system). Haven't experienced the EP-10 myself unfortunately, but they do seem to appear up for sale pretty often.

• 1 year later...

G'day,

I'm looking to sell:

Toshiba HD-Ep10 Player

XBOX HDDVD Drive

and the following HD DVDs:

Star Trek The Original Series 1

Ultimate Matrix (Matrix. Revolutions, reloaded and the matrix experience

Planet Earth Complete Series

The Adventures Of Robin Hood

The Bourne Supremacy (sealed)

The Searchers

Harry Potter Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter Chamber Of Secrets

Harry Potter Prisoner Of Azkaban

Harry Potter Goblet Of Fire

Harry Potter Order Of Phoenix

Wolf Creek

The Last Samurai (sealed)

Lucky Number Slevin

The Italian Job (sealed)

I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (sealed)

King Kong

Dawn Of The Dead

The Dirty Dozen

Doom

V For Vendetta

Darkman (sealed)

The Kingdom

Land Of The Dead

We Were Soldiers

Sky Captain & the World Of Tomorrow

Waterworld

Hot Fuzz

Top Gun

The Frighteners

Shaun Of The Dead

Backdraft

Smokin Aces (sealed)

Make me an offer for the lot (will not seperate). Pickup only...Melbourne

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Does anybody know if toshiba are still supporting the XE-1? I need to get mine repaired it keeps dropping the hdmi connection.

Ive tried different tv's and hdmi cables but to no avail

Give them a call - they should still be able to help

• 3 months later...

Fired up my Toshiba HD-A35 (US Import) last night and watched a couple of HD DVDs (I have about 50 in my collection). The player didn't miss a beat. It's only been a couple of years since the death of HD DVD but watching movies on this format almost had a nostalgic feel to it....

• 3 weeks later...

Does amazon's clear plastic wrap protect from disc rot? Most of mine are still wrapped... :blush::rolleyes:

they'll probably take them back. just tell them they only just turned up via douche post and you long sold your player :lol:

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1356828425' post='1856423]

they'll probably take them back. just tell them they only just turned up via douche post and you long sold your player :lol:

Entirely plausible too! In a few years we'll be able to blame MSI if our blu-rays rot. :)

At Christmas the kids had their annual viewing of Polar Express, that had some issues. I also think there is anothercouplethat had the same problem but at the time I ignored it thinking it was just something I would clean later... Now it has me worried indeed to go back and test them.