Teac Hdstb/pvr- Hdrm7250

See below from Teac...

----------------

Hi Joseph,

Just to confirm to you. The 7250 is set-up for record and watch HD or record, timeshift and watch HD. Although, we have added the convenience of twin recording. The 7250 features apps/channels that can be synchronized with our servers. Therefore some new features (that are in progress) will automatically appear. [you need to go to channel 999 and activate this]

We're made software improvements already, so most likely when you first get your box and connect it to your home network, you'll be presented with a software upgrade notification.

Also, yes the remote is similar to the ITVD500, but now has extra keys on it. Most of the codes are similar.

Regards,

Fabian

sounds encouragin !

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets the Gold Medal for HD manuals to date. Very clear and well written - obviously by an Australian! The screen saver is a nice idea. The usb connection to external hard drives is full of possibility. Single timer recorder really puts it in the LG category. Did not see information on play modes or resume play - did I just miss it? Given the LG track record I would take the update promises with a grain of salt. As it stands, the Strong is the clear front runner IMO. It has twin timer recording, resume play and the usb connection.

Does the strong play DivX/mpeg4?

Just went in to JB Camberwell Vic. 4 in stock!. Tempted but can anyone confirm if it is or is not a dual recorder?

Typical!, Retravision told me today (after calling their TEAC rep), that there wouldn't be any for 1-2 months as they were just put into production...sheese, these people should check their facts!

There are stocks of it in JB hifi stores as I'm typing. I'm going to pick mine up tonite after work!!!

You will have to let us know how it goes. Depending on how this unit performs it could be an alternative to the Beyonwiz for those that don't want to spend the extra money.

:blink:

I read the manual.

The GOOD:

Play HD DIVX/MP4, WMV (including the 1080 WMV Terminator I bought in the US last year, I can finally watch it!) via USB or local network.

Useful EPG.

Favourites, and transparent GUI.

The (VERY) BAD:

it says this on page 21->

Oh I hope they are just talking about the EPG (which did sound promising as it said the EPG could be updated by internet access) and not normal dual timer recording!

(EDIT) The PIP button doesn't work either...no PIP, unbelievable!

I'll have to call Teac tomorrow, but for now, it is dissapointing! (maybe)

M.

So a few questions:

1. PIP does not work and never will??

2. True twin tuner recording??

3. Networking, anything special required on PC's i.e. just enable sharing on a folder or HDD??

4. Would the web function work with accessing Webscheduler on a PC???

:D

So a few questions:

1. PIP does not work and never will??

2. True twin tuner recording??

3. Networking, anything special required on PC's i.e. just enable sharing on a folder or HDD??

4. Would the web function work with accessing Webscheduler on a PC???

:blink:

is there a web interface????????????????

I bought this unit today and right now I can't recommend it. All's I can say is it isn't exactly working right even after a few hours with it.

A quick couple of things I can say is.

The method for starting and stopping the manual record is totaly stupid. You have to first press the rec button then the red button to stop or start. Totally dumb and frustrating. Also it doesn't seem like you can save anything in the time shift buffer, so you can't just rewind it and hit rec but I'm not %100 sure of this.

There seem to be features missing and there's ether a feature block or a bug stoping me from achieving certain things. Sorry that's very vague but I havent had much time with it yet.

I must have turned it off ten minutes ago and the hard drive is still running! WTF!? I'm actually going to have to pull the plug on this one! :blink:

There are some elements that work really well. It can connect straight to the internet to update the firmware, which works really well. Built quality is also good, the buttons on the unit are a bit better than the top field 5000. It's made in Korea It's got a SATA hard drive (Western Digital). There's ethernet and USB 2.0. You can connect external USB thumb sticks and drives. EDIT: Have'nt tried any USB stuff or recording transfers yet.

With the Ethernet recordings are uploaded to the computer. But it doesn't look like you can download to the Teac.

Tux the penguin is on the side of the box so this thing most be running Linux. There's difinatly potential in this machine but right now, if you can't wait to buy a HD PVR the Strong would be a better choice.

I got this unit from JB Hi Fi for $956. They've got a 14 day return policy if you return it in it's original, boxed condition and I'm difinitly keeping box on this one! I'll give it a week or so but if my time with it remains sour I'll probably get the Strong.

I'll get more time with the unit on Sunday and I'll let yous all know about it!

EDIT: One last thing. I f*cking knew Topfield would release the 7000 when I bought one these things! I'm pretty sure I said it in a post a few weeks ago! :D

I bought this unit today and right now I can't recommend it. All's I can say is it isn't exactly working right even after a few hours with it.

The method for starting and stopping the manual record is totaly stupid. You have to first press the rec button then the red button to stop or start. Totally dumb and frustrating. Also it doesn't seem like you can save anything in the time shift buffer, so you can't just rewind it and hit rec but I'm not %100 sure of this.

There seem to be features missing and there's ether a feature block or a bug stoping me from achieving certain things. Sorry that's very vague but I havent had much time with it yet.

I must have turned it off ten minutes ago and the hard drive is still running! WTF!? I'm actually going to have to pull the plug on this one! :wacko:

There are some elements that work really well. It can connect straight to the internet to update the firmware, which works really well. Built quality is also good, the buttons on the unit are a bit better than the top field 5000. It's made in Korea It's got a SATA hard drive (Western Digital). There's ethernet and USB 2.0. You can connect external USB thumb sticks and drives. EDIT: Have'nt tried any USB stuff or recording transfers yet.

With the Ethernet recordings are uploaded to the computer. But it doesn't look like you can download to the Teac.

Tux the penguin is on the side of the box so this thing most be running Linux. There's difinatly potential in this machine but right now, if you can't wait to buy a HD PVR the Strong would be a better choice.

I got this unit from JB Hi Fi for $956. They've got a 14 day return policy if you return it in it's original, boxed condition and I'm difinitly keeping box on this one! I'll give it a week or so but if my time with it remains sour I'll probably get the Strong.

EDIT: One last thing. I f*cking knew Topfield would release the 7000 when I bought one these things! I'm pretty sure I said it in a post a few weeks ago! :D

I must have turned it off ten minutes ago and the hard drive is still running! WTF!? I'm actually going to have to pull the plug on this one! :wacko:

Thank you Paranoid666au for your input.

I have been delaying my planned Sony XBR purchase to see how the Strong,Topfield and TEAC PVRs compare and was about to buy on the TEAC announcement.

The TEAC seemed to offer most but not all of what I wanted but it needs to deliver on promises.

I guess we all try to future proof as much as we can and these comments are really helpful.

For instance the ability to transfer large files both ways by USB Thumbstick or direct to PC by USB or Ethernet seems to be a valuable requirement and further comments as to whether you can do this would assist.

To you and others, thanks and please keep your comments coming, I plan to share my experiences in the relevant areas once I enter the LCD/PVR digital world. So far I have only replaced my faulty VHS with a Panasonic DMR-EH50 six months ago and that has performed very well and as advertised.

First post, apologies to all if I have doubled up on the reply.

Thank you Paranoid666au for your input.

I have been delaying my planned Sony XBR purchase to see how the Strong,Topfield and TEAC PVRs compare and was about to buy on the TEAC announcement.

The TEAC seemed to offer most but not all of what I wanted but it needs to deliver on promises.

I guess we all try to future proof as much as we can and these comments are really helpful.

For instance the ability to transfer large files both ways by USB Thumbstick or direct to PC by USB or Ethernet seems to be a valuable requirement and further comments as to whether you can do this would assist.

To you and others, thanks and please keep your comments coming, I plan to share my experiences in the relevant areas once I enter the LCD/PVR digital world. So far I have only replaced my faulty VHS with a Panasonic DMR-EH50 six months ago and that has performed very well and as advertised.

First post, apologies to all if I have doubled up on the reply.

i think one of the most important functions is being able to log into your network remotely when yr not home, being able to access a http interface of your PVR, thus enabling setting a record timer or being able to start recording, so when u forget and yr at work, theres no problems :blink:

I must have turned it off ten minutes ago and the hard drive is still running! WTF!? I'm actually going to have to pull the plug on this one! :blink:

good on you for posting a headsup on this one para. As much as was lookign forward to the teac and had no probs with teac boxes before looks like I'll be giving this one a miss. I'm a hdpvr newb and want somethign that sjut works quite frankly no fuss out the box and is user friendly and built for dumb asses ! looks like the toppy 7000 if it shows its head will be what I'll look ot get.

I got a HDRM7250 earlier today. After a few hours of trying it, I can report the following: -

Firstly, the remote controller is similar to the ITVD500 model. It is now black with some extra keys on it.

When first switched on, a message appears that tests the HDTV mode (connected via HDMI to my Samsung screen). It will cycle through the HD modes until you decide to keep one. A message then appears that the drive is checking and you are guided through the set-up process. For those of you with an ITVD500, you'd seen this step-by-step before. It's similar.

When finished tuning, the digital television is ready for use.

The menu system and on screen graphics are nice, and in some ways similar to the ITVD500 but with a black square theme. The EPG is a new type (its like box view) and has the ability to select record and give reminders. As the manual states, you cannot do two that overlap.

I connected my ethernet cable to the box and my router. Immediately, a message appears momentarily that I am 'connected with ethernet.' Another message also appeared something like 'software available go to channel 999.' It only appears for 2 seconds then disappears.

When I typed channel 999, it tells me that I can activate interactive stuff and that my software requires updating. I select update and within seconds, the software for my set-top box begins to download. This takes around 5 minutes; box restarts back where you were last.

Next was to try the timeshift. If I hit rewind (<<), it will go x1, x3, x10, x30, x100, x600. But here is where it becomes even more interesting. I was rewinding the picture back even when changing channels and the program names are kept for the past 4 hours. This is great.

Press REC and you have two options (auto & manual). The timeshift buffer can be recorded no problems. Whilst in timeshift move the joystick up/down for 30 sec. skips. Move left/right for 15 minute jumps.

The automatic option stops the recording at the end of the program+5min. There is also a manual option that I guess you'd use if there is something wrong in the broadcast. From what I could make out, you can record and watch another channel or play a media file simultaneously.

If you press the list key it shows all the digital channels. I found that if you press the >> key, it will then show you the radio channels, recordings, interactive channels.

On the menu, there are a few options shown. One of which is Mediaplayer-HD.

On a USB hard-drive, I have put some WMV-HD files on it, some downloads (XviD's off the net) and some Apple Quicktime MOV files. The WMV and MOV's are 1080p! When connected, the Mediaplayer shows the USB drive as SDA1. All the 1080p HD examples I downloaded played and look great.

One of the other menu options is 'My Recordings'. This is a list of the recordings but there is an option down the bottom called EXPORT CONFIG. Press the blue key and a screen is shown to enter the ip address or hostname of your pc, share folder name, username and password. Without reading the instructions I was confused how to get this to work.

I typed the ipaddress of my lan-drive, and entered the sharefolder as public. Pressed the yellow key to test and passed. That means the stb supports SAMBA/SMB share folders. This is brilliant as it means I can have a network drive to export recordings too without the need of a PC turned on.

The lan-drive also appears in the Mediacenter. I now have access to the recording I transferred and other music and video files directly from my network drive. I can select the recording (it is a .MP2 file) and play it over the network in HD and pause, forward, rewind, etc. over my network as if it was on the hard-drive inside the set-top box.

As it is exporting, beside the name of the file is a percentage. Once you set-it just let it go. It'll do it in the background and you can continue to watch tv etc.

One of the other experiments I tried is if you can you run files from a http server (i.e. Apache installed on a PC) like the ITVD500. That also works and shows a directory listing on your TV screen of your files.

Still experimenting with this unit, so I will give more details soon.

So far everything is working as per the manual.

I disagree with Paranoid666 comments that the recording function is stupid. The fact that their is an immediate option to record and stop at the end of the program is great. My previous PVR would default to just 3 hours and then you'd have to go back and extend or reduce it manually. Also to stop a recording, my previous PVR had to press STOP and then OK or EXIT to choose. This unit I press REC and then select the STOP option. What's the difference, either way there are still two key presses for every PVR. I guess different manufacturers have their own way of doing the same job?

Also, whilst in timeshift, press REC and then select manual recording. You are now recording the timeshift buffer. You can FFWD at 600x (5min/sec) whilst recording the buffer.

JA

I got a HDRM7250 earlier today. ...

Hi JosephA

Thankyou for the review.

Can you possibly post a few pictures? I am particularly interested in see what the remote control looks like.

Can you create folders to organise your recordings? If so can you password protect folders to prevent children from watching unsuitable recordings?

Bit confused about the drive mappings to Windows. Can the TEAC hard drive been see and mapped to from a Windows machine OR do you need to set up a Windows share on the Windows machine and get the TEAC to map to that?

Do SD (or other resolutions for that matter) XVID and DIVX files play okay?

Are there any plans to remove the restriction on overlapping timers in future firmware updates?

The unit shows a lot of promise and for me it will be a choice between this or the to be released BeyondWiz HD set top box.

Regards Glen

If they are able to fix the overlapping timers then it cuold be much cheaper alternative to the Beyonwiz. I wonder if you are able to stream media from this to the ITV-D500. That would be cool

gkelly, there are pictures of the set on http://www.teac.com.au/product/3/496/specs ...

Thanks polyp

That is one ugly remote, if I end up buying one then a universal remote is going to become a must.

The real sticking point for me at the moment is the overlapping timers.

JosephA can you clarify one more thing for me please. The restriction on overlapping timers, is that restriction just overlapping timers using the same channel or is it any overlapping timers using different channels (which kind of defeats the purpose of a dual tuner).

If it is just overlapping timers using the same channel (which it has to be surely) then I can probably live with that annoying as it is.

Glen