Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

folks ... Big W got the same LCD Advrs. again this week (for next week - I am in Perth WA)

I ordered one from last advs (they ran out) and picked it up last Thursday... took me few minutes to cut the thing open and another couple minute to plug in all the cables (cables are not included-unforgivable for $1K tv !!) and ta da... I am watching TV... picture is pretty good but the sounds is great even without any surround speakers. (btw, no external speakers facility)

I am actually using this as my main monitor for my pc.. and the thing is sitting on my desk !! (my desk is pretty big and strong...) this thing is replacing my Sony G520 monitor (best monitor ever ! but I want a TV without turning on the pc).

so far everything is great with the pc... no driver needed and the setup 1366X768 with XP is automatic, even the sound from the PC is good, the main issue is that there is no DVI (I know I can get an adapter for this), I can't plug my work laptop straight on and switch machine.

the other issue with PIP(picture in picture) is that (this is even with more expensive LCD) this thing only got one tuner... my Panasonic got dual tuners so you can get "proper" pip and I can watch two tv channels at the same time.

as for the contrast and brightness setting, I just leave the thing as standard and switch between the picture mode (from the remote) of standard, bright, and etc

Summary... best value 81cm lcd so far... add a quite Pent 4 PC and a set of remote keyboard and mouse... and you can have load of fun with your TV !

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the easiest way of coming up with the optimum picture (settings wise)?

after playing around a litte only standard settings but changed brightness to 55

colour : normal

i rang few shops today and finally got one that had it in stock went to pick it up got sealed unit

got home unpacked pluged in xbox360 (i watch tv with x360/mce extender) and i'm blasted

picture quality is great even when i use zoom on xbox for pay tv channels to get full screen

colours are great, the contrast ration 1200:1 or whatever it was seem to be quite true because blacks on this tv are fantastic

to top it up there was no scratches on whole unit (quite typical for cheaper brands) and panel itself got not even one dead pixel and there is no backlight (or however you spell it) bleeing even when i set all black backgroud

and 8ms seem to be solid too, tested on couple of games including motogp (fast racing) and no ill bluring effect

it's a mad option with fantastic picture quality

the $998 is plain crazy (good for us :blink: )

has anyone connected and used this monitor to a HTPC?

seems like it could be a good and cheap alternative in 720p HD until 1080p becomes more affordable.

well, its what im looking at getting the screen for

folks ... Big W got the same LCD Advrs. again this week (for next week - I am in Perth WA)

I ordered one from last advs (they ran out) and picked it up last Thursday... took me few minutes to cut the thing open and another couple minute to plug in all the cables (cables are not included-unforgivable for $1K tv !!) and ta da... I am watching TV... picture is pretty good but the sounds is great even without any surround speakers. (btw, no external speakers facility)

I am actually using this as my main monitor for my pc.. and the thing is sitting on my desk !! (my desk is pretty big and strong...) this thing is replacing my Sony G520 monitor (best monitor ever ! but I want a TV without turning on the pc).

so far everything is great with the pc... no driver needed and the setup 1366X768 with XP is automatic, even the sound from the PC is good, the main issue is that there is no DVI (I know I can get an adapter for this), I can't plug my work laptop straight on and switch machine.

the other issue with PIP(picture in picture) is that (this is even with more expensive LCD) this thing only got one tuner... my Panasonic got dual tuners so you can get "proper" pip and I can watch two tv channels at the same time.

as for the contrast and brightness setting, I just leave the thing as standard and switch between the picture mode (from the remote) of standard, bright, and etc

Summary... best value 81cm lcd so far... add a quite Pent 4 PC and a set of remote keyboard and mouse... and you can have load of fun with your TV !

awesome, just re-read your post

exactly the reason im looking at getting this Display.

have you tried playing divx movies etc.. on it? How does it all look?

im setting this up with a HTPC i am in the process of building as well, 32" PC Monitor essentiall for under 1k is a bargain

looking for it to handle 720p and 1080i until the 1080p displays get to a decent price range.

Um Hi newbie here.

Have bought one of these tvs today, i have connected up the vcr and thats working ok. But also have playstation 2 connect via the vcr and i cant get the signal for that. I need advice on how to find the PS2 signal/channel. On my old tv used to just switch over to av.

And also have connected the dvd using the red, white and yellow cables into the 'AV IN' but no dvd signal when i scanned through so went out and bought a SCART cable and scanned again still NO DVD channel! Oh also used this dvd with my old tv via a rf modulator box, dont know if thats relevent info but yeah anyway.

DVD is a Wintel. Thats all i can think of to tell you please help me. Thought i would just be able to plug in and go!

Thanks

Does this come with inbuilt tuner?

And has anyone hooked up a crappy source to it? How does it look?

I want to buy one for my parents as a pressie, they have satelitte TV, and from what I have seen on it, the quality aint so good.

Yes comes with Analogue tuner.

No, didnt even look at it through this tuner! Connected Straight up SD set top box first.

Spend an extra $70 and buy them a STB aswell! :blink:

My foxtel is great through this TV.....Satelitte aswell.

Um Hi newbie here.

Have bought one of these tvs today, i have connected up the vcr and thats working ok. But also have playstation 2 connect via the vcr and i cant get the signal for that. I need advice on how to find the PS2 signal/channel. On my old tv used to just switch over to av.

And also have connected the dvd using the red, white and yellow cables into the 'AV IN' but no dvd signal when i scanned through so went out and bought a SCART cable and scanned again still NO DVD channel! Oh also used this dvd with my old tv via a rf modulator box, dont know if thats relevent info but yeah anyway.

DVD is a Wintel. Thats all i can think of to tell you please help me. Thought i would just be able to plug in and go!

Thanks

Is the vcr connected through the Aerial Jack??

If it finds the VCR you should just be able to switch to AV on the VCR to find PS2.

You dont have to scan when looking for DVD. Press Source on the top left

of TV remote and then choose Video.....or Scart 1 or 2 if using scart cable.

Thank You Rosco,

I feel like such a dill. DVD is working hooray.

The picture from the dvd looks like a letterbox you know with the black panels top and bottom for widescreen.

Is there a setting that has the picture fill the screen, without zooming in, or is this the way it should look on this tv???, sorry another dumb question i think.

Yep the vcr is plugged in via the aerial jack. Oh and i found PS2 by plugging the connections into the front AV connections which is strange coz it used to work plugged in at the back but im happy anyways so thanks again for your help.

Thank You Rosco,

The picture from the dvd looks like a letterbox you know with the black panels top and bottom for widescreen.

Is there a setting that has the picture fill the screen, without zooming in, or is this the way it should look on this tv???, sorry another dumb question i think.

Yep the vcr is plugged in via the aerial jack. Oh and i found PS2 by plugging the connections into the front AV connections which is strange coz it used to work plugged in at the back but im happy anyways so thanks again for your help.

Yeah i think "true" widescreen is like that.? I dunno, i watch channel 7,9,10 etc. ans it fills the screen

but watch a movie on dvd and you have the black lines? i think its something to do with the way movies are

shot?

I'm sure if you searched you could find something.......glad everything is working now.

P.S. i'd invest in a Set top Box if you havent got one. Atleast then you'd get widescreen on

free to air tv.

Thank You Rosco,

It depends on what the film is. Some films are 2.35:1 and will have black bars, even on widescreen TVs...

Does everything look correctly proportioned or squashed?

Hi again, surroundfan umm yes i do think the film looks a bit squashed/stretched have been flicking between 16:9 and 'panarama' view but im not sure if it makes much difference.

Thanks Rosco yes im seriously thinking about a set top box but i dont know anything about them. Whats the difference between standard or high definition. Which should i get and why? Better picture? Better sound? Argh i feel like such an idiot

Hi again, surroundfan umm yes i do think the film looks a bit squashed/stretched have been flicking between 16:9 and 'panarama' view but im not sure if it makes much difference.

Thanks Rosco yes im seriously thinking about a set top box but i dont know anything about them. Whats the difference between standard or high definition. Which should i get and why? Better picture? Better sound? Argh i feel like such an idiot

there is no shame in not knowing everything, nobody does know all

there is many options, if you don't want to spend too much money just but SD stb just make sure it got more than just composite output

but than again HD stb are so chip those days you might get one like this, or maybe PVR with dual tuner, once again with PVR you have option for SD or HD

its your pick but whatever you do don't ruin your nice tv with analog only tuner

i myself put my tv on the wall today, all the way up so its great watching from bed now.

and after watching fair bit of tv on it and getting some game time on xbox360 i got to say once again that this tv is a bomb.

picture quality is fantastic

last couple of days i been playing pes6 (soccer) and even when i used the all black ball there is no ghost ball behind, and no ghosting on black boots or hands wich move very fast so the 8ms claim is as true as you can get because soccer games always have this problems on slow LCDs

best of all for people that are after this model BIGW advertise them sure enough but it is one of the iteams listed as "EVERYDAY LOW PRICE"

so it isn't even special but just normal price :blink: so no need to panic

i might get one more to put in spare room.

btw if you plan to put it on the wall don't be fool like me and get someone to help you, one pair of hands is not much with heavy beast.

could be that my bracket was to blaim since it weight more then the tv on its own but when both connected it is pain to lift it up and put on to the other side attched to wall.

almost droped that thing :D

I went to buy this TV today but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Its fugly.

When you wall mounted it without the stand, does it look better?

Also anyone know when the AWA 81cm will go on special again for $999?

picture quality seem much better on aiko than on awa imho

as for ugly look no further than AWA

i find the aiko quite good looking, love the black finish and it is very good finish too, the only ugly part about it is that speakers are on the bottom but it doesn't really do much for me.

ignoring taste of what's ugly and what's not quality of this unit (outside and not the picture) is top grade, i seen big names looking more on the cheap side than this tv.

since i put it on the wall it looks the same minus the stand, if it is more ugly or not i don't know

if you wish i can snap couple of pictures

picture quality seem much better on aiko than on awa imho

as for ugly look no further than AWA

i find the aiko quite good looking, love the black finish and it is very good finish too, the only ugly part about it is that speakers are on the bottom but it doesn't really do much for me.

ignoring taste of what's ugly and what's not quality of this unit (outside and not the picture) is top grade, i seen big names looking more on the cheap side than this tv.

since i put it on the wall it looks the same minus the stand, if it is more ugly or not i don't know

if you wish i can snap couple of pictures

Yep pics would be great :blink:

I'm not saying the whole thing is ugly,

I just dont like the stand.

Have you got any dead/bright pixels?

its your pick but whatever you do don't ruin your nice tv with analog only tuner

i myself put my tv on the wall today, all the way up so its great watching from bed now.

and after watching fair bit of tv on it and getting some game time on xbox360 i got to say once again that this tv is a bomb.

picture quality is fantastic

last couple of days i been playing pes6 (soccer) and even when i used the all black ball there is no ghost ball behind, and no ghosting on black boots or hands wich move very fast so the 8ms claim is as true as you can get because soccer games always have this problems on slow LCDs

best of all for people that are after this model BIGW advertise them sure enough but it is one of the iteams listed as "EVERYDAY LOW PRICE"

so it isn't even special but just normal price :blink: so no need to panic

i might get one more to put in spare room.

Hey Croc, thanks for your useful comments. Can you tell us how hot the unit gets? I had a 27" Sharp LCD earlier this year for a few weeks before the panel died - and I noticed there was two low speed fans cooling the LCD. Does this Aiko have fans? And secondly, does the unit have enough ventilation when mounted on the wall?

I don't think it looks ugly, when you compare it to an old philips 68cm CRT :< I'm hoping to get this aiko soon, early xmas pressie for my olds, I don't want to burn their house down.

Yeah i think "true" widescreen is like that.? I dunno, i watch channel 7,9,10 etc. ans it fills the screen

but watch a movie on dvd and you have the black lines? i think its something to do with the way movies are

shot?

I'm sure if you searched you could find something.......glad everything is working now.

P.S. i'd invest in a Set top Box if you havent got one. Atleast then you'd get widescreen on

free to air tv.

Hey Rosco122 and AlisonS, you might want to check your dvd player's Video Preferences - make sure your TV type is set to 'Widescreen or 16:9'. That should stretch out the picture on your widescreen TV if your previous TV was a normal 4:3 screen, as your dvd player would have been sending the video signal as 'Letterboxed' :blink:

It explains why the picture still has black lines top and bottom and the picture is squashed