Sign in to follow this  
dockersfan

Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

Ditto, I went to Melb store and the girl said no problem I'll grab one for you, then spent ten minutes hunting for them only to say that they had been "lost". How do you lose a bunch of huge mofo boxes???? Anyway she said she'd call me if she found them. I'm not overly optimistic.

I've sense been to lookk at the Acer AT3230 which looks a bit nicer and also has built in HD tuner, so I'm considering that instead even though it's 400 dollars more.

I rang in the morning (9am) and Forest Hill store had 3 or 4 but wouldn't hold one for me or let me pay over the phone for one. By lunchtime they were sold. No joy.

No mention of rainchecks in the catalogue though, so I'll be ordering one in at the sale price, much like people did pre Xmas.

I rang in the morning (9am) and Forest Hill store had 3 or 4 but wouldn't hold one for me or let me pay over the phone for one. By lunchtime they were sold. No joy.

No mention of rainchecks in the catalogue though, so I'll be ordering one in at the sale price, much like people did pre Xmas.

So you guys have no problem asking Big W to order this TV in at the special sale price? I am in Perth and I asked the wife to drop in at the local Big W store to get one but they were all sold out. The lady that served her went to the trouble of calling three other Big W stores but they were all sold out as well. I literally called all the stores during the Christmas special as well and have no luck. I asked my wife to ask the lady to order one in for her at the special price but she was told by the same lady that "helped" her that it is Big W's policy NOT to do raincheck. What do you guys reckon? Has my wife been misled?

I am getting rather annoyed by this. This is the first day of the catalogue sale!!! How can the LCD monitor be sold out so quickly? I am skeptical that they had enough or any stock to begin with.

So you guys have no problem asking Big W to order this TV in at the special sale price? I am in Perth and I asked the wife to drop in at the local Big W store to get one but they were all sold out. The lady that served her went to the trouble of calling three other Big W stores but they were all sold out as well. I literally called all the stores during the Christmas special as well and have no luck. I asked my wife to ask the lady to order one in for her at the special price but she was told by the same lady that "helped" her that it is Big W's policy NOT to do raincheck. What do you guys reckon? Has my wife been misled?

I am getting rather annoyed by this. This is the first day of the catalogue sale!!! How can the LCD monitor be sold out so quickly? I am skeptical that they had enough or any stock to begin with.

Hmmm, a no rainchecks policy... THat would suck. But I think they'd have to advertise it. I thought lot's of people at Xmas ordered them...?

I have the strangest feeling that these TV's are being snatched up by Big W Staff for family and friends. The Store I went to said they had a pallet of them the night before. I went in at 8.30 yesterday and they couldn't find them anywhere. The girl was very evasive and I have a feeling that all available stock had been reserved. The whole thing's a bit shonky if you ask me.

By the looks of things, they never had much stock on them, so bit dodge advertising them in a catalogue if not every store had suitable numbers in ANY of the stores. If they had more, wouldn't matter if a few friends and family were buying them you'd think. Just getting you into the store in the hope that you're going to buy something else, just isn't going to work either.

I asked if they would do a raincheck as well, guy said they don't do that. Might write a letter to head office to complain, see what they say. Maybe you guys should do the same. I have a feeling head office may offer the original price later on if you ask nicely enough :blink:

Oh well, just wait I guess.. if there was something else available for similar price that met the same specs I'd buy it, but not too much else to choose from.

Edited by predator666

Staff purchases. Of course. They get staff discount off the reduced price. No wonder they were cagey about talking about them. They'd have known full well that there were a pallet reserved for staff out the back! I'll be writing to head office too methinks.

Staff purchases. Of course. They get staff discount off the reduced price. No wonder they were cagey about talking about them. They'd have known full well that there were a pallet reserved for staff out the back! I'll be writing to head office too methinks.

There is a contact form on the Bigw website www.bigw.com.au . I'll wait a few days before writing in but it is pretty crappy to put the thing in a catalogue if there is virtually no stock.

I'd already found the form, and have sent my enquiry. I'll be at my local Big-W over the weekend to try for a raincheck too.

EDIT. Just got a call from my local Big-W! (ie, they musy have obtained my phone number from my complaint email). They have had one extra LCD panel arrive in stock (after being sold out) and they will hold it for me until I go and pick it up this evening. Interesting huh. I have to applaud their service here. It is a great indication of what they will do for their customers. Well done Big-W!

I've sense been to lookk at the Acer AT3230 which looks a bit nicer and also has built in HD tuner, so I'm considering that instead even though it's 400 dollars more.

r u sure it does ?

I found this sale - LINK

and it says its analogue. that price is not bad ... and comes with standard 12 month warranty.

waht do u guys think? if not , I am off to BIG W tomorrow then to get one ...

I'd already found the form, and have sent my enquiry. I'll be at my local Big-W over the weekend to try for a raincheck too.

EDIT. Just got a call from my local Big-W! (ie, they musy have obtained my phone number from my complaint email). They have had one extra LCD panel arrive in stock (after being sold out) and they will hold it for me until I go and pick it up this evening. Interesting huh. I have to applaud their service here. It is a great indication of what they will do for their customers. Well done Big-W!

Naca

Can you please point us to this form that you are talking about?

I will not applaud their service just yet since I feel like I have been had twice. I will send the complaint email as well. It is piss poor service. I made close to 10 calls on my phone during Christmas for that special.

r u sure it does ?

I found this sale - LINK

and it says its analogue. that price is not bad ... and comes with standard 12 month warranty.

waht do u guys think? if not , I am off to BIG W tomorrow then to get one ...

Yep, and I know cause I just want and bought one :blink: The AT3230B has a digital AND an analog tuner. 2 HDMI, 3 Component, 3 AV, 2 Svideo, 3 Composite. I'm pretty rapt with the price I got it for as well (see my post in the AT3230B thread for more info).

This is so disappointing. I called one of the stores in Perth and was advised all stores have sold out of this LCD TV. This is the second time I have missed out!! Not happy. :blink:

Penned the following letter to BigW management.. to be honest, I don't care that much, in 3 months maybe the same or a better TV will have a general RRP of $800. But still, I think it should be pointed out to them, and they shouldn't encouraged to continue the same practice in future. It seems to be a growing trend with them especially. Will be interested in their response.

BigW Customer Service

W1B3U07

P.O. Box 8000

Baulkham Hills NSW 2153

17th June, 2007

Dear BigW Management,

Recently I saw in your June specials beginning 14th June the Aiko 81cm LCD television for $799, a discount of some $200 over the usual RRP. Looking for a new TV, I rushed down as soon as I could on Thursday night after work (the first day of the sale) to the Burleigh Heads store in Queensland, and disappointingly all stocks had sold out. Apparently there were some other 3 people 'in line' to also purchase one of these TV's already by 5pm that day, if they did manage to find some stock. I even travelled down to Tweed Heads BigW and the same story yet again. So either some 10+ TV's had sold in that first 8 hours, or in fact, as I suspect there was little to no stock to begin with.

Tellingly, a week before, from your previous catalogue, when I was in the store I'd also noticed that there was very little stock for the Aiko TV, even at it's higher list price. Disappointingly, I experienced exactly the same story for your “Acer” LCD TV for $700 the previous week – all sold out by 5pm. Yet it was advertised in all of your catalogues as a 'readily available' item by the prominence, and its very inclusion.

I asked the storeperson whether they could 'raincheck' that price if further stocks came in later on, and they said they could not do that. Quite disappointing for a major retailer to not offer this option when stocks were obviously very limited, however listed freely as a two week sale.

Speaking to a few other people, the same was true at stores right across Brisbane, and the Goldcoast region, with nobody able to purchase any of these TV's on the first day of the sale (Thursday). Yet they were freely advertised in your catalogue that was widely distributed.

My main gripe is that you should not be advertising these so prominently in your catalogue if you do not have marketable quantities available. Already the ACCC has made rulings that this sort of strategy is not on for sale periods simply to 'get people through the door', nor does it really work too well in terms of incidental sales.

Whilst I do accept the fact that I merely 'missed out', I hope you can correct such sales practices in future, or simply ensure reasonable quantities are in stock before listing the item for sale – as I believe they do more harm than good to BigW's reputation.

Sincerely

Penned the following letter to BigW management.. to be honest, I don't care that much, in 3 months maybe the same or a better TV will have a general RRP of $800. But still, I think it should be pointed out to them, and they shouldn't encouraged to continue the same practice in future. It seems to be a growing trend with them especially. Will be interested in their response.

predator

Very well penned. I hope you don't mind me "plagiarising" portions of it if I can be bothered to put in a complaint email. I am so sick of stores advertising specials and yet unable to deliver on the very first day of the sale. Like another forum member suggested, it is quite possible perhaps a lot of their own staff bought the TV at further discounted staff price? So I am going to suggest that their management checks their sales records of this TV for this sales period and the Christmas sales period to see how many of their own staff bought this TV at the "discounted" staff price. And if there is only limited quantity to start with, then they should STOP their own freaking staff buying it and let the general public buys the TV instead. Otherwise, they should not advertise it in their catalogue without enough marketable quantity for sales.

My sister works in a company where their own staff cannot buy products of limited quantity at discounted staff price in the first month but they certainly can buy anything at catalogued price.

I bought one of these from Big W on Friday (15/6/07).

I thought I was going to have the same problems sourcing one of these as others here were having. There are three Big W stores in Newcastle, and the first two I rang had zero units in stock. The Mount Hutton store had three. Three! I considered buying two of them, just because I could.

When it comes to Big W, I can recommend you let your fingers do the walking before your rock up to the store. And try the least popular Big W stores first, Charlestown and Jesmond stores are in nice shopping centres, whereas the Mount Hutton location is a bit of a cesspit (sorry Mount Hutton). They delivered it to me for $25.

I'm happy with the TV. I saw the ad in the sale catalogue, then listened to the reviews in this forum. First impressions are very positive: the picture is very nice, even with a cheap SD set top box and an indoor rabbit ear aerial. It would be nice to have more than one set of AV inputs (you know, the yellow, red and white ones), but I've hooked my DVD player up with an S-Video cable and piggy-back AV cables for audio. I'm a firm believer in cheap and nasty cabling if it does the job.

I tried mucking around with contrast, brightness etc., but then just stuck with the "Mild" picture preset.

For sound, I'm just leaving it on the "Movie" equaliser preset. The sound is good, but could be better. I'm about ready to buy a set of surround sound speakers for watching DVDs anyway - I'm sick of movies that don't cater for us 2-channel sound lovers. 5.1 channel-only movies are really irritating when you have to constantly turn down the volume when music is playing, then turn it up again for the dialogue.

The black plastic case is nicer than some would have you believe. It isn't all that cheap and nasty.

I hooked my PC up with a D-Sub monitor cable just for a test. It's pretty obvious that these things are just big LCD computer monitors - the PC picture was crisp and nice.

All up, I am happy with this purchase. I'll ring the warranty providers (Telefix) on Monday to see if they offer an extended warranty. 12 months seems a bit stingy. Let's see how things pan out when this thing gets a few hundred hours of play time under the hood.

Edit: Monday - Telefix offers two extra years of warranty for $220. That's a bit rich for my blood. I'll see how I feel about paying this sort of money after the standard 12 months are up.

Edited by fumblus

I'm running s-video for everything. SD STB, DVD player, PS2 and VCR.

Looks good. But it certainly shows the limits of DVD as a format. You notice the compression often.

All up, I am happy with this purchase. I'll ring the warranty providers (Telefix) on Monday to see if they offer an extended warranty. 12 months seems a bit stingy. Let's see how things pan out when this thing gets a few hundred hours of play time under the hood.

Edit: Monday - Telefix offers two extra years of warranty for $220. That's a bit rich for my blood. I'll see how I feel about paying this sort of money after the standard 12 months are up.

With the way prices are moving in 12 months time you could probably buy a replacement AIKO for $220

You would have been better off asking if they (Telefix) actually stock spare parts for the TV. My 2 yr old AWA from Big W had a problem and after having it for 2 mths the local repair agent said that Telefix were unable to supply parts. It wasn't only my TV as they were about to ring 3 other AWA owners with the same news. Fortunately it had a 3 yr warranty so I got a full refund - just beware when purchasing a non-brandname TV.

I'll wait a few days before writing in but it is pretty crappy to put the thing in a catalogue if there is virtually no stock.
It's more than crappy - it's against the law (Bait advertising.)

"A corporation must not... advertise for supply at a specified price, goods... if there are reasonable grounds for believing that the corporation will not be able to offer those goods... for supply at that price for a period that is, and in quantities that are, reasonable, having regard to the nature of the market in which the corporation carries on business, and the nature of the advertisement."

No wonder my message to the manager was answered so quickly. I was subtle in suggeswting that stock may not have been available at the majority of stores due to the staff purchases/reservations in advance of the sale starting. I had a call that my TV was available and being held for me within a few hours! And rightly so, given the law on this!

No wonder my message to the manager was answered so quickly. I was subtle in suggeswting that stock may not have been available at the majority of stores due to the staff purchases/reservations in advance of the sale starting. I had a call that my TV was available and being held for me within a few hours! And rightly so, given the law on this!

Thanks for the tip.

I followed your example and filled out the feedback form on the Big W website last Monday, with subtle suggestions. I received a call this morning from the local Manager saying the feedback form had been passed on to him and he had found a couple of the sets and he'd ring me Monday, which is when he expected them to arrive.

Surprise ! I got another call tonight from him saying the set had arrived and was waiting there for me to collect it. Tomorrow after work I'll drop by and pick it up. :D

Thanks again Naca-Yoda

Cheers

Edit: Yayyyy picked it up and about to plug it :D

Edited by PetePlus

Thanks for the tip.

I followed your example and filled out the feedback form on the Big W website last Monday, with subtle suggestions. I received a call this morning from the local Manager saying the feedback form had been passed on to him and he had found a couple of the sets and he'd ring me Monday, which is when he expected them to arrive.

Surprise ! I got another call tonight from him saying the set had arrived and was waiting there for me to collect it. Tomorrow after work I'll drop by and pick it up. :D

Thanks again Naca-Yoda

Cheers

Edit: Yayyyy picked it up and about to plug it :D

I got mine last week and only managed to plug it last night.

I have two little ones and they have left some finger marks on the screen already. :angry2: What do you guys use to clean the screen?