Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

i understand the purpose of them, they are a very commonly used device (eg, the lump on your pc monitor cable), the real question i should have asked is does anyone know the cause of the sound? if it is a power supply interference then they would help. This is because the ferrite ring supress common mode interference. Any intereference from other devices will be common mode as the same noise current will be induced in both speaker wires.

the actual signal travelling to the speakers from the tv amplifier will be differential mode, because the current will be flowing in opposite directions down the +ve and -ve wires, so ferrite rings will not effect the true sound signal.

however, if the cause of the noise is due to a noisey amp, then there may be no benifit to ferrite rings as the noise originating from the amp may be differential mode (although it could still be common mode depending on the cause).

Sorry monkey_zu just saw your question about the ferrite rings.

To be honest I have no experience with them, however google brought up this article straight away which might help you get an understanding (although you may need an engineering background).

http://www.emcia.org/documents/Ferroxcube/...suppression.pdf

Unfortuantely I feel to lousy to help you out right now, however I am sure someone here knows something about them.

(I just took leave of my final year of electronic eng degree so I am trying to avoid this stuff lol)

Cheers

Craig

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I picked up the Aiko last night and hooked it up to a Sony HD STB (via HDMI) i got from jb hifi for $199 and the picture quality is awesome! The Sony box works good but it lacks a lot of features i took for granted with my old SD box.

I have the tv in my bedroom and i havent had any sound issues yet. The only noise i get is the high pitch, insect like, sound from the transformer, but its quieter than my old TV. But every tv ive seen has that noise. Is that the noise everyone is talking about? Does that noise go away if you snip the the speaker wires?

I think the sound quality coming from the Tv speakers is more than adequate.

Im very happy with this unit. Dark scenes look very good to me, compared to other lcds ive seen. The blacks are pretty black. It seems to handle fast moving scenes and sport pretty well, cant wait to watch the Formula 1 on it.

Ive set the box to 1080i and i tweaked the tv settings to what i think looks best and i cant fault it.

Havent tried it with component yet, might do that over the weekend and test out the DVDs too.

Aesthetically, i think it looks nice too. Its a clean an minimalist look that i like. And once you've set it up at home you'll realise it looks pretty cool.

It has one pixel stuck on red. Hopefully it goes away, i only notice on white backgrounds and if i look for it, otherwise i dont see it. If it doesnt go away i'll try out one of the many remedies suggested on the net.

Theres no way im getting it exchanged for another because of the stuck pixel. Dont want to run the risk of getting one with sound issues.

Anyway thats my 2c about the TV.

Also a word of advice for those that get one. Let the Tv run for about half an hour or so before you take the sticker off. That way it warms up a bit a comes off easily without leaving a mark on the panel. And remove it slowly.

Its the same deal for removing rego stickers from cars. You leave the car outside in the sun until it gets hot and then it comes off like magic.

Its the same deal for removing rego stickers from cars. You leave the car outside in the sun until it gets hot and then it comes off like magic

Wish i knew that when i changed my last one off :blink: Now i have 2 and a half rego stickers

Anyway, back on topic, I'm choosing now between this tv, or an LG or Phillips for 300extra

Considering that the Aiko uses the LG/Phillips panel, the Aiko is beginning to look good.

I'm pretty sure i read earlier that the speaker issue can be fixed under warranty, it was just a faulty transformer sitting in the back of the tv. I read that i went along the lines that by pressing the back of the tv in, it'll stop it.

Anyways, gonna be taking a laptop around to some stores tomorrow to test out how the resolutions work out, i think that'll be the final deciding factor

I got sick of the stuck pixel so i took it back and got an exchange.

The new unit is doesnt have any dead or stuck pixels and no humming speakers. It still makes the high pitch insect like noise. I only hear it when im standing away from the TV. When i get close to it i cant hear it. I seem to hear it from every Tv ive seen so idoesnt bother me.

I went to look at some other tvs during weekend and they all seem to do it. My computer does it, my fridge does it. I even here this noise at night when im going to sleep and everything including the lights is switched off. Maybe im going crazy? :D I havent heard in my dreams yet......

Does anyone know the cause of this noise? Its not really a big deal. Could it just be the transformer? My head usually blocks it out while im watching tv anyway, but then after awhile my mind tells me to listen for the noise and then the torment begins :blink:

It turns out that its not the Tv at all that makes the high pitched noise. I unplugged everything in mt room and the noise was still there. I then switch off the power to the whole house at the mains and i could still here it.

Ive realised that wherever i am i here this noise. I asked my dad and he said the same thing as Texas44,. that i have tinnitus. Now i know why i cant sleep at it, its the bloody ringing in my ears.

im going to the doctor.

Regarding the TV. Last night i stuck my ear right up against the speaker and i could hear the 60hz hum, but i can only hear when im right up against the speaker. If i switch off the set top box the hum dissapears. I think it might be a ground loop. Both the TV and the Sony set top box both use those power cords that are used on computers. They both have ground pins. Its the first time i see a TV and a set top box with ground pins on the plug. There must be a redundant ground path or something. I heard the PS3 also comes with this cable and has been causing ground loops (people report humming speakers and noise in the picture). The solution so far has been to snap off the ground pin the plug

Tonight im going to buy a new power cord and break off the ground pin of the set top box and see if the hum goes away. It should be safe because the case is made of plastic, i just wont touch the metal connectors at the back. The hum isnt noticeable, but im just going to do it out of curiosity.

If you can only hear the hum when your ear is right up against the speaker do you have a problem at all? If you cannot hear it from a normal distance and when there is normal sound coming from the TV, my advice is not to play with the grounding of the unit. Removing the ground pin can be dangerous. If you remove the ground, if there is a fault, the ground return will be through any other equipment connected with a shielded cable to the set top box that has an earth eg any RCA cable, so you might fry them or get a shock if you touch them.

Even though the risk might be low, I would hate to see someone get hurt by doing something they did not know had the potential to be dangerous. Glad the noise is not audible, sit back and enjoy!

Cheers,

Chris

Well over the past couple of months I have gone from loving this tv to hating it, as it has developed really bad jagged edges on the image. I have tried adjusting the sharpness to no avail and it is being fed good quality signals over good cables (upscaled DVD via HDMI, HDTV via VGA and xbox 360 over component). Finally I got so fed up with the jaggies ruining the image quality that I got a warranty repair guy to come and have a look at it, his response was that is just the way they are, because it is a cheap no name unit, and there is nothing that can be done to fix it. His solution was that I try and get a refund from BigW because I am not satisfied. I don't think my chances are very good of getting my money back after almost six months and without the packaging, so looks like I'm stuck with a dud!

So anyone got any advice as to what I might be able to do with it, the saw toothing really ruins the picture alot of the time, especially in games or watching cartoons (simpsons, or south park) and most SBS shows, when every edge turns into a jagged mess. On other things it is not so bad, but it definitely causes a blurriness, with edges being fuzzy instead of clean and crisp. I am a bit at my wits end with it as the 'High Defness' of this tv has seemingly gone downhill fast. Just for reference, everything looks clean and sharp on my 26" magnavox LCD tv, which has a significantly lower quality panel in it (the reason I got the Aiko in addition to the larger size) so I know it is the tv, and not all my devices, or my eyes or something.

It turns out that its not the Tv at all that makes the high pitched noise. I unplugged everything in mt room and the noise was still there. I then switch off the power to the whole house at the mains and i could still here it.

Ive realised that wherever i am i here this noise. I asked my dad and he said the same thing as Texas44,. that i have tinnitus. Now i know why i cant sleep at it, its the bloody ringing in my ears.

im going to the doctor.

Regarding the TV. Last night i stuck my ear right up against the speaker and i could hear the 60hz hum, but i can only hear when im right up against the speaker. If i switch off the set top box the hum dissapears. I think it might be a ground loop. Both the TV and the Sony set top box both use those power cords that are used on computers. They both have ground pins. Its the first time i see a TV and a set top box with ground pins on the plug. There must be a redundant ground path or something. I heard the PS3 also comes with this cable and has been causing ground loops (people report humming speakers and noise in the picture). The solution so far has been to snap off the ground pin the plug

Tonight im going to buy a new power cord and break off the ground pin of the set top box and see if the hum goes away. It should be safe because the case is made of plastic, i just wont touch the metal connectors at the back. The hum isnt noticeable, but im just going to do it out of curiosity.

Hi, I had the same problem with the ringing noise, i got the set out of the house, no more ringing noise, it's not your ears, it's the Aiko believe me jam the thing, it will drive you crazy mate, do it for your sanity....you will end up insane.

good luck

bulberry

just reporting back

as one of the first with this TV (2 units) i'm still very happy with this tv.

it gets used a lot in both bedrooms for tv and xbox360/ps2 and its as good as new, no issues of any kind.

had very very small spider behind from panel which i guess got zapped or something because i wasn't moving since i spoted it first time

but managed to push him down after giving few knocks on the side of the TV so i'm happy again but some might consider some surface spray to avoid those very small bugs going in there, spider was smaller then one pixel and only visable on white backgroud but it was driving me nuts knowing its there.

Hi, I have also had one these sets since they were first released and I have been happy so far with no buzzing or image defects. I am about to get a nintendo Wii and I vaguely remember Aiko owners having some issues, I can't find the exact problem so I was wondering if anyone here has had some first hand experience they could share.

Cheers

Hi, I have also had one these sets since they were first released and I have been happy so far with no buzzing or image defects. I am about to get a nintendo Wii and I vaguely remember Aiko owners having some issues, I can't find the exact problem so I was wondering if anyone here has had some first hand experience they could share.

Cheers

i remember the problem was common to all LCD or something like that, nothing to do with AIKO

wild guess but if you get component cables for WII you should be ok

• 3 weeks later...
i remember the problem was common to all LCD or something like that, nothing to do with AIKO

wild guess but if you get component cables for WII you should be ok

Actually, component cables are where the issues come from.

When using component cables, playing many Virtual Console games, and even some scenes in Wii games, the display blinks out stating either 'out of range' or 'no signal'.

I just use the Wii's included composite cables at 576i now. Not quite as sharp, but it works!

i got one of these and found it quite good indeed. i plugged my eck bock 360 up and it was perfect. the tv set it for 1920 by 1080 resolution, does anyone know what the deal is with this? as the book says it can only support 1368 by 798 or what ever it is. :blink:

also i connected foxtel scart to scart and the picture was spot on. very happy with this tv.

Edited by electronicgeek

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ekiwi

C'mon BigW we want a bigger Aiko! And I mean Aiko, don't want a Sony, Samsung, Pioneer or any other, seriously!! Yes it's cheaper which is a big plus and the picture is every bit as good, but the main thing is when I'm looking at other brands they just don't look as stylish. Not even close for mine. So pls pls pls someone must know where I can find a bigger model, maybe under a different name?

Well over the past couple of months I have gone from loving this tv to hating it, as it has developed really bad jagged edges on the image... I got a warranty repair guy to come and have a look at it, his response was that is just the way they are, because it is a cheap no name unit, and there is nothing that can be done to fix it. His solution was that I try and get a refund from BigW because I am not satisfied. I don't think my chances are very good of getting my money back after almost six months and without the packaging, so looks like I'm stuck with a dud!
You say it has "developed" a problem so it was working 'properly' when you bought it.

Therefore it has become faulty - the repair guy's comments were useless and wrong (except the part about going back to BigW), he's just trying to get out of fixing it. The price of the unit is irrelevant - it is either fit for purpose or not, and currently it is not.

You are still within the warranty period (I assume!) so speak to BigW about it - you are entitled to a repair, refund, or replacement (your choice), and not having the box does not affect your rights.

i got one of these and found it quite good indeed. i plugged my eck bock 360 up and it was perfect. the tv set it for 1920 by 1080 resolution, does anyone know what the deal is with this? as the book says it can only support 1368 by 798 or what ever it is. :blink:

also i connected foxtel scart to scart and the picture was spot on. very happy with this tv.

From memory the manual says the TV is optimized for 720P (which is 1280 x720). I am not sure why this is so because that is not the native resolution of the panel.

The 360 can output 1080p and 720P . I think when the panel receives a 1080p signal it scales it to 720P (although the TV identifies it as 1080p). I noticed that the 1080P signal seemed severely overscanned so I would recommend seting up the xbox to output 720P.

Was going to try and pick one up for the 360 and the PC tonight.. but none in stock :blink: Getting a bit sick of BigW advertising these sorts of TV's at low prices and not having the stock to back it up! They should really have 10+ instock in each store if they are going to advertise them in their catalogue specials, or not bother.

Apparently 3 on order already here on the Goldcoast and it's only the day the sale went on sale (so to speak).. guy is going to ring me back if they can get any more in :D

Edited by predator666