Sign in to follow this  
dockersfan

Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

Hey mate, The vibrating speaker problem can't be fixed. The sound on the set sucks. DVI->HDMI will not give you the best picture, VGA will deliver the best on this set unfortunately.

Not in my case, the DVI out on my PC is clearly sharper than the VGA out. It would be even better if I could switch off the scaling on the panel or force the VGA card to run 1366x768. :blink:

IF you want to use the DVI<>HDMI cable it is worth your while checking to see if your video card supports 1366x768. Most only handle 1360 or 1368 as they are divisible by 8. Update to the latest drivers, try adding a custom resolution or alternatively try powerstrip.

With my Nvidia 5900XT card I can only get 1360x768 so although the display is sharp there are bands of slight blur running across the display as it rescales 1360 up to 1366. I dont think its possible to configure the panel to disable the scaler function.

Has anyone been successful getting this panel to display 1366x768? If so what video card are you using, driver version and how did you set it up?

I bought one of these panels from Big W a few days ago to use as a computer monitor. I have the banding problem when I run the panel at 1360x768 - I have been running the panel at 1280x768 as this seems to reduce the problem. I have tried powerstrip but it doesn't let me output 1366 from my GeForce 7600 GT. Does anyone know if the banding will go away if I can output 1366? (I'd like to know before I go to the hassle and expense of buying and installing another video card.)

Another video card wont work man. I've tried a X1900XT (Hi-End ATI Card) and my current 8800GTS (Hi-End nVidia Card), VGA looks much better then HDMI (much cleaner), but has the annoying banding.

OK to my eyes the DVI <> HDMI input is clearest... I'm happy with it.

Running at 1360x768 .. I tried power strip couldn't get 1366x768 and only managed to beef up the Clock & DRAM speed for my 6600LE ..

Have a couple of sample HD movies from UK Sky Channel site.. and they look absolutely glorious on the AIKO!

All Blacks doing the Haka, a National Geographic underwater scene, and marshland scene .. the flowers you could fair dinkum touch!

That was my benchmark and it surpassed it.

Just bypassing the internal speakers for now and using external surround amp.

PIP works well too, just a pity it doesn't support Component with/and HDMI, so using S-Video.

I couldn't get powerstrip to output 1366 either and have now given up the quest for 1366.

I now run the panel in 1280 x 768 resolution for windows applications). I have created an application profile in Powerstrip for PowerDVD so that the panel changes to 1360 resolution when Powerdvd loads (ard reverts back to 1280 when PowerDVD closes).

In the absence of buying a $3000 Dell 30" panel (which would have required a much better graphics card to run) I am very happy with the AIKO (16:9 anime looks awesome on it).

It seems fine to me the way I've got it setup under WinMCE as a monitor, Internet via Firefox looks fine.

The AIKOs main role here is as a TV. The rest, under media centre is a bonus.

Using a TinyUSB HDTV receiver and I'm really pleased with it's tuning ability.

I'm happy as...

now for the upscaling DVD player :blink: more $$$

Pioneer 696AV looks good! $279 @ JB

now for the upscaling DVD player :blink: more $$$

Pioneer 696AV looks good! $279 @ JB

I can confirm that is one great little dvd player - Highly recommended. I managed to get mine from JB's for $260 2 weeks ago.

I can confirm that is one great little dvd player - Highly recommended. I managed to get mine from JB's for $260 2 weeks ago.

good one! they do seem to get a thumbs up, my current DVD player is a Pioneer. But I got thinking...

doesn't the HTPC perform upscaling in a way? I use it's DVD player to watch movies so isn't the video card and software already upscaling to 720P 1360x768 ? from standard DVD format 525i ?

do I really need another device? :blink:

Another video card wont work man. I've tried a X1900XT (Hi-End ATI Card) and my current 8800GTS (Hi-End nVidia Card), VGA looks much better then HDMI (much cleaner), but has the annoying banding.

It has nothing to so with whether you have a high end video card. Some video cards work with individual pixels so can output any resolution. Others such as your X1900XT and my 5900XT only output resolutions in multiples of 8 so you can ONLY program 1360 or 1368. Apparently the old matrox cards for instance will handle 1366.

The other thing to worry about is I dont think anyone on this forum has confirmed whether the Aiko will handle its native resolution. Sounds weird but its been reported other panels dont accept it.

Anyway it would be interesting to see if the banding is less visible with a custom resolution of 1368....

It has nothing to so with whether you have a high end video card. Some video cards work with individual pixels so can output any resolution. Others such as your X1900XT and my 5900XT only output resolutions in multiples of 8 so you can ONLY program 1360 or 1368. Apparently the old matrox cards for instance will handle 1366.

The other thing to worry about is I dont think anyone on this forum has confirmed whether the Aiko will handle its native resolution. Sounds weird but its been reported other panels dont accept it.

Anyway it would be interesting to see if the banding is less visible with a custom resolution of 1368....

I managed to output 1368 with my Gefore 7600 GT. The banding was just as bad as at 1360.

From your comments and my extensive research (AVS Forum - Can Geforce really do custom resolutions?) it seems that neither Radeon or Geforce cards can output 1366 so I don't know what the answer is.

I use this panel exclusively as a PC monitor and I have found that horizontal resolution of 1280 is almost perfect (not quite). I use powerstrip to automatically switch resolution to 1360 when using powerdvd and am generally satisfied. Having said that, I would be willing to drop a few hundred dollars on a new video card if I knew it would get rid of the banding problem.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has managed to input 1366 - the video card used and whether there was any banding. Also, is anyone using this panel as a PC monitor at 1360 without any banding?

I managed to output 1368 with my Gefore 7600 GT. The banding was just as bad as at 1360.

When the panel synced to your custom resolution did the dialog box actually come up on the display as 1368x768?

Went to BigW to buy one of these yesterday. The demo Aikos' were switched on and there was a commercial channel news reader reading the news. God it looked awful, that terrible "cake face" with no colour skin gradients etc and artifacting all over the place.

Anyway, given the glowing reviews on this forum I bit the bullet and bought one (with trepidation!). Got it home and now its hooked up as my computer monitor. My computer has a DViCO Plus PCI card and a DNTV TinyUSB device for watching TV and it looks fantastic, no cake face or artifacting here.

I know its been stated before but what are BigW and other retailers thinking about trying to sell TVs' and demonstrating them with such an awful picture (no need for a reply, I think we all know the answer).

Motherboard in my computer is an Asus P5B-VM with onboard video and the Aiko syncs up nicely at 1360x768. The backlight is very even, although it does have that typical LCD gray-black that we all know about. The picture is very clear and crisp, with lots of vivid colour, contrast and brightness and lots of room for adjustment as the TV ages.

I can't hear any noise coming out of the speakers, even when there is no other noise in the room. There is a very low hum though if I put my ear up against the speakers, but that can't be what others are complaining about, can it? Maybe theirs is a lot louder or perhaps mine is a newer model or something.

To sum up, I would highly recommend this TV, at least as a computer monitor. I have no idea how it performs as a standalone TV but there is a plethora of inputs at the back that puts those high priced Sonys' to shame.

I am using a Harmony remote for this tv & the source switching is really annoying. The profile that i am using is the KTV LTW-42DV. It has to scroll down through the list to the input you want, which can really frustrate if you simply want to switch from scart2 to scart1 - (it has to go through the entire list). Any one know of a method by which the Harmony can simply tell the tv which input source to use instead of the scrolling? Maybe even a different profile to use??

Is anyone else annoyed by the source switching on this screen? Surely there has to be a way to switch straight to the source of choice? Can any-one please point me in the direction of IR diagnostic software or something so that I can try to solve this issue? I have been searching & found nothing... maybe the manufacturer might be able to assist?

When the panel synced to your custom resolution did the dialog box actually come up on the display as 1368x768?

The dialog box said 1360x768, but my LCD display (driven by LCDstudio) tells me the resolution is 1368. I am not sure what the display is reading - probably the output from the video card. Now that i think of it - the 1360 and 1368 resolutions look identical.

The dialog box said 1360x768, but my LCD display (driven by LCDstudio) tells me the resolution is 1368. I am not sure what the display is reading - probably the output from the video card. Now that i think of it - the 1360 and 1368 resolutions look identical.

Maybe the display is scaling 1368 down to 1360. Doesnt sound promising... :blink:

shouldn't be you trying to target 1366x768 to eliminate scaling?

shouldn't be you trying to target 1366x768 to eliminate scaling?

Yes, but a few people have been saying that neither nvidia nor ATI cards output 1366x768.

Thinking of getting this set, just wondering though, how good is the de-interlacer in this TV at 1080i? Does it do a good job, or just bob de-interlacing? I have only seen it running 576i, it does do a good job at 576i resolution (ie, not bob).

Does this tv support HDCP (I'm not sure if all HDMI tv's support it)?

Also, out of curiousity, has anyone tried to feed it a 1080p signal (from a media pc for example). This wont affect my purchase decision, I'm just curious.

Thinking of getting this set, just wondering though, how good is the de-interlacer in this TV at 1080i? Does it do a good job, or just bob de-interlacing? I have only seen it running 576i, it does do a good job at 576i resolution (ie, not bob).

Does this tv support HDCP (I'm not sure if all HDMI tv's support it)?

Also, out of curiousity, has anyone tried to feed it a 1080p signal (from a media pc for example). This wont affect my purchase decision, I'm just curious.

i tested with 1080p over component cables from xbox360, i got picture no problem but only at 60hz, i believe 50hz gave blank "out of range" (no idea why since 60hz is higher)

picture look fine but i didn't left it runing at 1080p for long so can't tell you more.

1080i from xbox360 looks fantastic

I stand corrected - although I have not encountered the problem to such an extent that I am driven to pull it apart.

Second - a solid surround sound system will play considerably louder than will the 5w speakers - hence on mute, the buzz should be much less audible - and you keep your warranty!

I like the idea of the Logitech Z5500 is it? The $500 surround package, looks and sounds awesome!

Rezok

Did you end up getting the Logitech Z550 speakers? getting a little grief from "she with whom I watch TV" about the crappy quality and buzzing. She wants me to get another Aiko under warranty and I'm battling to convince her they are all the same :blink: and we might need to pick up some Logitech Z550s :D

I'm @ work.. does the set have audio out ?? for the Logitech Z550s ?

cheers

Rezok

Did you end up getting the Logitech Z550 speakers? getting a little grief from "she with whom I watch TV" about the crappy quality and buzzing. She wants me to get another Aiko under warranty and I'm battling to convince her they are all the same :blink: and we might need to pick up some Logitech Z550s :D

I'm @ work.. does the set have audio out ?? for the Logitech Z550s ?

cheers

Quite right, no outs for audio - and yes, dont bother with another unit - they will all be the same (although mine I can hear, but its not shocking...)

Yes, get a box, audio out via optical to that and youre sweet :>

After a lot of reading and discussion I have decided to go with the Z-5500's myself. A seller on Ebay has them for $399 plus $50 postage and that's about as good as I can find.

Seems that neither the 5450's or 5400's would have really cut it for our setup here. It's going in the lounge room and from what I have read the 'imaging' quality on the 54xx's drops dramatically when used at any larger distance than a typical computer desk setup, we are going to be using the system as a cheap HT solution so that won't do. Also, I won't be 'allowed' to have the rear speaker chords running all the time, so the plan is to only connect them up when we are actually watching surround content, such as movies or the occasional HD serial drama, so therefore having the extra wattage is going to be necessary in order to be able to achieve a decent volume without the two rear speakers. Whilst the wireless 5450's would help with that regard, the fact that they have power chords would make them just as much of a nuisance.

I'll let you know how I go with them.. I imagine the Aiko paired with the Z-5500's is going to be a quite impressive cheap HT solution.

Is anyone else getting really bad jaggies with this set? I noticed it a bit when I first got the tv, but dropping the sharpness a little seemed to fix it, now it seems to be getting worse and dropping the sharpness only results in a blurry mess. It is particularly bad with xbox 360 but also with my HD stb, is really degrading the image quality, which is otherwise pretty damn good for the price. Not sure if I should try and get it warrantied, or if it's just a side effect of it having cheap guts, and I'm just noticing the flaws more now.

I got my Aiko back in Nov and have had no probs so far thankfully, great xbox 360 picture. Only issues wouod be the usual poor black levels that I find acceptably given the price.