Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

I give Big-W 5 stars for customer service. They are operating as totally responsible big business in response to our disappointment.

To clean your set, you want to use a damp, lint free cloth. Chemicals will ruin it.

ps. The problems with high pitched buzzing from the set seems to be resolved in the latest stock. Mine is quiet as a mute mouse.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give Big-W 5 stars for customer service. They are operating as totally responsible big business in response to our disappointment.

To clean your set, you want to use a damp, lint free cloth. Chemicals will ruin it.

ps. The problems with high pitched buzzing from the set seems to be resolved in the latest stock. Mine is quiet as a mute mouse.

My tv sounds like my house at night: it makes little ticking noises as it heats up and cools down. It must have an aluminium heat exchanger inside. I suppose that 140 Watts has to be dissipated somehow. Otherwise, no buzzing that I can hear, but then my ears may not be as good as they used to be.

Edited by fumblus

• 4 months later...
Guest affable

Has anyone with one of these Aiko units worked out if there is a cheap way to improve the sound output? I'm happy with the sound except when watching music videos. I don't want to spend $100's on a surround sound system as I don't watch it enough & don't want the hassle of switching on yet another component just to watch tv.

Ideally I'd just like to plug the sound into an existing home stereo system but there seems to be no easy way to get the sound out of the Aiko other than some kind of an audio switcher between all of the inputs such as DVD & PVR. I also havn't found an audio switcher that has 2 outputs as I'd like the sound to still work through the TV if the stereo system is off.

Any better ideas?

Edited by affable

• 1 month later...

Yeah the sound is lame, particularly with music. But I figure youve saved a fortune on the set so invest in a small amp/speakers and connect to the audio out on your DVD/STB.....

Its amazing this set is over a year old and the 2006 price is still competitive today. Although you can get a similar unit for a few extra $$$ with an inbuilt DTV tuner..... Big deal.

Anyway question -

1) Does the Aiko handle 16:9 <-> 4:3 switching with line 23 WSS switching in the video feed.

2) Does it handle Pin 8 16:9 <-> 4:3 switching on the SCART interfaces?

Im have a STB that is supposed to handle both but I cant get the set to autoswitch.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I meant - Does Big W still sell these Aiko LCD TV's in 32"???

I brought one of these from Big W in Winston Hills (Sydney) and it was the last one (display model). The staf indicated that they would not be getting any more of them in and that was about 5 months ago.

Has anyone that has one of these sets used a harmony remote? Did you get the codes from the intenet, or did you use the learn feature?

As I mentioned above, I got mine as a demo model and as such I do not have a remote or manual for the set. I got a rather cheap universal remote for it, but I am thinking this may have been a mistake.

• 3 months later...
Has anyone that has one of these sets used a harmony remote? Did you get the codes from the intenet, or did you use the learn feature?

As I mentioned above, I got mine as a demo model and as such I do not have a remote or manual for the set. I got a rather cheap universal remote for it, but I am thinking this may have been a mistake.

Yep Harmony remote work fine with this set. Codes are on the internet.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

I want to wall mount my Aiko but after 2 years of use I'm not sure what I've done with the screws, in fact I can't even remember if there were any screws in the first place. Does anyone know what size the scews are for this set or is there a universal size, was planning on using a generic universal wall mount from Selbys if that's any help.

Thanks

Hi

I want to wall mount my Aiko but after 2 years of use I'm not sure what I've done with the screws, in fact I can't even remember if there were any screws in the first place. Does anyone know what size the scews are for this set or is there a universal size, was planning on using a generic universal wall mount from Selbys if that's any help.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the generic wall mount (not from Selbys) I used for my plasma came with the screws. Not sure if that's standard practice though.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Thanks

its a normal vesa mount 200x200, screws come with mounts not tvs so buy mount and you will have all you need

• 6 months later...

Has anyone had experience running VGA to the 32" Aiko LCD?

I've been playing with the idea of buying a Netbook and using it as a low-def HTPC.

I have no idea what the resolution of the Aiko is though via VGA, and don't know if a current generation Netbook can match it either.

Any input would be appreciated.

Ta,

AE

ps, My AIKO is still going great btw.

Hi Naca-Yoda - yes my AIKO still going great too - i've had mine for over 2 yrs also and bought it for $800 - it was great as at the time I didn't want to buy a large size screen due to high prices and tv hardware not quite ready - have only just upgraded to a Sony 52W4500 (sweet)

anyhow to answer your question until I got the Sony I used my AIKO as a VGA monitor from a media centre PC. The PC video output was High Def (1366 X 768) which the AIKO autodetects. The netbook video out should be able to output that resolution, but not sure - you might have to check the netbook video specs.

Re netbook as a HTPC interesting..I guess you would need a Tuner USB card (check the new Leadtek WinFast DTV200 HU) and external disk storage if you wanted to record TV.

anyhow to answer your question until I got the Sony I used my AIKO as a VGA monitor from a media centre PC. The PC video output was High Def (1366 X 768) which the AIKO autodetects. The netbook video out should be able to output that resolution, but not sure - you might have to check the netbook video specs.

Re netbook as a HTPC interesting..I guess you would need a Tuner USB card (check the new Leadtek WinFast DTV200 HU) and external disk storage if you wanted to record TV.

Thanks for your feedback! That's exactly what I wanted to know!

The Netbooks now come with 160GB HDDs so even storage is taken care of.

My plan is, when not travelling, I could plonk this mini PC in the lounge with power and wired network access allowing me to

- boot/resume very quickly (low power usage)

- connect a bluetooth keyboard and mouse

- read media off my office PC

- run stereo output into my HT receiver

= loungeroom internet and media viewing on our LCD TV

Adding an HD tuner dongle is an obvious future enhancement too (possible PVR opp).

But without digital-out for audio, I'll probably go with a HD-STB later on.

• 9 months later...
remote control stopped working?

anyone else got such issue?

Croc our set has started to do it this morning. Are your two still playing up?

Ours occasionally doesn't resume from standby too - LED goes green but the display backlight doesn't fire 1 in 20 times you turn it on.

connect to the audio out on your DVD/STB.....

Its amazing this set is over a year old and the 2006 price is still competitive today. Although you can get a similar unit for a few extra $$$ with an inbuilt DTV tuner..... Big deal.

Anyway question -

1) Does the Aiko handle 16:9 <-> 4:3 switching with line 23 WSS switching in the video feed.

2) Does it handle Pin 8 16:9 <-> 4:3 switching on the SCART interfaces?

Im have a STB that is supposed to handle both but I cant get the set to autoswitch.

Thanks

I do not have any SCART output devices that perform switching however only SCART 1 is RGB/Component. SCART 2 is only Video/S-Video. Also SCART2 has Audio out so you can run a line out audio to your external speakers from this port.

I wanted to run 3xRCA RGB Composite to my SCART 1 connector, however in order to have SCART 1 configured as RGB you need to send a 3 volt signal thru to one of the SCART pins, which my Dreambox DM518 Sat STB doesn't output (because it has 3x RCA no SCART connector).

• 10 months later...

My trusty Aiko TV has just been replaced with a shiny new 50" plasma, just wondering how much one of these TVs would be worth on ebay or elsewhere?

It's been ever reliable but I really don't have the space to use it anywhere else and the with is nagging me to get rid of it.

Thanks

My trusty Aiko TV has just been replaced with a shiny new 50" plasma, just wondering how much one of these TVs would be worth on ebay or elsewhere?

I've just upgraded from the Aiko 32" LCD to Samsung 50" Plasma myself. You would probably get $200 or perhaps a little more on ebay. I'm moving the Aiko into the bedroom and cascading out the Sony CRT.