Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the AIKO dead pixel policy, but I believe Big W (if that is where you bought it) will simply replace the TV with a new one.

AIKO does actually. Though I doubt BigW is familiar with it. For an 81cm set you need more than three bright dots or six dark dots (unless the dark dots are adjacent and then its two).

Yes, but a few people have been saying that neither nvidia nor ATI cards output 1366x768.

I have seen a couple of posters saying they have managed to get their (newer?) Nvidia cards to output 1366x768 (in this case to Magnavox 32 inch and 26 inch TVs), using the Nvidia advanced timing settings. For example:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1675&st=62#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1675&st=69#

http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=settings6vx.jpg

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...675&st=153#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=39965

Might be worth trying these with the Aiko?

Ok, Tv back, no noise, no dead pixels.....Just one quiet Aiko lcd...anyone with the same problem dont

hesitate to call the service hotline they were great!!!

bulberry

Thats good to hear. Mine finally started to do it today. I get a high pitched whine and a thumping sound if I put my ear next to the speakers.

Did you get yours serviced under warranty? why does warranty repairs for Aiko?

Hi MeeSeR,

Thanks for your comment dated 19/10/2006. Big W has advertised the same AIKO LCD TV 81cm you purchased for $898. Can you please tell us having used it for about 5 months wether it was worth the price. What warrenty does this LCD TV have. Is it one year or three years. Is there an option for purchase of an extented warrenty. Are you happy with the accessories you have used with this LCD ie. Laptop, DVD player etc. Would appreciate your urgent comments as we intend buying one from Big W before the sale ends this Wednesday. Thanks for your help Jarryn.

Hi guys - I saw this yesterday too. And like others have said, I can't find any solid Aiko TV details on the web (and here I thought GOOGLE had the answer to everything).

I thought it was definately worth a check for under a grand, well the TV looks pretty good in person - the set I watched was plugged into a cheap DVD player, running over the composite standard cables to the TV (the crappiest connection) and was playing 'Over The Hedge'... the picture looked pretty good, and from my quick examination of the set, it had no 'stuck on' dead pixels, but it was hard to tell if it had any 'stuck off' pixels with the scenes in the DVD I was viewing (dark scenes) - again it could all be to do with luck!

The set says it's made in Korea, if this is even true - is anyones guess. Maybe the plastic housing is made in Korea yet the other components are made in China... Anyway it looks really decent for the price.

The stated 178degree viewing angle doesn't seem to be what it's cracked up to be. I noticed when viewing off axis even up to approx 45 degree (90 degree span) that the picture starts to look different, and starts changing colour slightly... definately not as bad as my old AWA 81cm LCD I bought from Big W nearly a year ago... but when I think 178 viewing angle, I expect to see the picture in the same colours/shade/brightness as I do when viewing it from directly in front.

They obviously use the term 'viewing angle' loosley on LCD TV's - all it means from my experience is that the picture on the TV can still be 'viewed' up to those extreme angles... there is no promise of picture integrity once you are off axis.

The response time of 8ms GTG could be pretty optimistic too, when watching high motion/contrast scenes from the DVD (albiet remember its not running via Component/Progressive) the picture did blur on some character edges, it wasn't that annoying - but if you look for it - it was there. The picture response is probably a little better than my old 81cm LCD, to my eyes anyhow.

The quoted 1200:1 dynamic contrast seems to be pretty good, the dark scenes seem to retain a fair amount of detail, which I would highly doubt my 600:1 contrast TV would be able to show.. these are all my observations for the short time I looked at the set... as for the how BLACK is the BLACK?... I don't know - in BigW they have bright fluro lights and it's always hard to tell...

Anyhow I thought for the price it's worth a shot, so I whipped out the credit card and bought one... I'm going to pick it up after work and play with it tonight.. first thing will be hooking my Xbox 360 up to it via VGA-DSUB... and I'm hoping it allows the native panel resolution of 1368x768 just like my old AWA LCD does...

If anyone wants I might take photos and do a short review of my experience with it and in relation to Xbox 360, will be my main focus...

I just hope it meets and exceeds my expectations... :blink:

I have seen a couple of posters saying they have managed to get their (newer?) Nvidia cards to output 1366x768 (in this case to Magnavox 32 inch and 26 inch TVs), using the Nvidia advanced timing settings. For example:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1675&st=62#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1675&st=69#

http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=settings6vx.jpg

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...675&st=153#

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=39965

Might be worth trying these with the Aiko?

Works a treat I copied the Nvida 4200 custom resolution settings above and it works. Vertical bands of blurring due to the rescaling from 1360 -> 1366 are now gone. Display text via DVI is now very sharp on this display. TV display info still thinks the DVI source is 1360x768 :blink:

Noticed another nifty feature last night in that if you have the TV tuned to an analog station and power up a device on the SCART connectors it auto switches to the correct SCART source and auto switches back to the original analog TV source when you power the device off. Pity it only works for switching from the TV channels… :D

Thats good to hear. Mine finally started to do it today. I get a high pitched whine and a thumping sound if I put my ear next to the speakers.

well not so good, high pitched sound back the same night as returned, contacted bigw, store manager

very nice bloke returned the tv no questions asked, got new one home, 4 big scratches

on the top where the screws go in, (must have been knock of time in the factory lol)

pink band across 3/4 of the screen, i called bigw, store manager delivered another tv out

to my house, new tv had 2 scratches in the same spot as the second set, i accepted the tv with

the 2 scratches with the option of return within 1 year with a full refund.

The store manager was very kind, helpful and understanding, try getting that from harvey norman

or domain!!!! I doubt it.....

would i buy another lcd from bigw......yes in a heart beat....customer service 2nd to none

well done bigw well done..

bulberry

Well, I had pretty much made up my mind to buy one of these Aiko sets... and now Office Works goes and throws me into doubt by offering the Acer AT3220B 32 inch LCD for $799 (after $99 cash back) with 3 year warranty :blink:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=621374

Anyone here able to comment on the relative merits of the Acer vs. the Aiko?

General comparisons aside, one particular issue I was concerned about was that the Acer spec sheets say that the analogue TV tuner and analogue video input on this set are PAL only. Would this prevent me playing NTSC DVDs or NTSC DivX files? I currently watch most of my video content on a modded Xbox 1 running Xbox Media Centre, which outputs NTSC in either 480p, 720p or 1080i via HD component cable. Xbox Media Centre is certainly very good, and I wouldn't want to give it up due to a misguided new TV purchase. So if the Acer cannot support that, I would definitely go for the Aiko instead. (I remember reading earlier in this thread that the Aiko is a full multi-system set, right?)

Any thoughts appreciated :-)

*EDIT* - forgot to mention that Xbox uses HD component cable.

well not so good, high pitched sound back the same night as returned, contacted bigw, store manager

very nice bloke returned the tv no questions asked, got new one home, 4 big scratches

on the top where the screws go in, (must have been knock of time in the factory lol)

pink band across 3/4 of the screen, i called bigw, store manager delivered another tv out

to my house, new tv had 2 scratches in the same spot as the second set, i accepted the tv with

the 2 scratches with the option of return within 1 year with a full refund.

The store manager was very kind, helpful and understanding, try getting that from harvey norman

or domain!!!! I doubt it.....

would i buy another lcd from bigw......yes in a heart beat....customer service 2nd to none

well done bigw well done..

bulberry

Returned Aiko today, $900.00 in the hand, drove down to office works, purchased the Acer AT3220B $898.00, i work for coles so $50 discount $848.00 3 year warranty, $99.00 cash back

from Acer, $749.00, when i logged onto the Acer website to redeem the $99.00 they offered me

a extra 2 year warranty in place of the $99.00 cash back, i jumped at it as it is valued at $250.00

so 5 year warranty all up, $848.00 for the set, picture is a lot softer than the Aiko, sound is way

better than the Aiko, heaps more inputs on the Acer, i will have to stuff around with the display settings a bit, zero bright pixel warranty for 5 years, or replacement, 8 dark pixels maximum

or replacement. not to bad, Aiko with 1 year warranty, sets have sound issues, trust me i went through 4 sets, they give a great picture, but for how long 1 year ?2 years?......the guess is yours, good luck with your Aiko's they did not work for me....maybe i had bad luck.

bulberry

Returned Aiko today, $900.00 in the hand, drove down to office works, purchased the Acer AT3220B $898.00, i work for coles so $50 discount $848.00 3 year warranty, $99.00 cash back

from Acer, $749.00, when i logged onto the Acer website to redeem the $99.00 they offered me

a extra 2 year warranty in place of the $99.00 cash back, i jumped at it as it is valued at $250.00

so 5 year warranty all up, $848.00 for the set, picture is a lot softer than the Aiko, sound is way

better than the Aiko, heaps more inputs on the Acer, i will have to stuff around with the display settings a bit, zero bright pixel warranty for 5 years, or replacement, 8 dark pixels maximum

or replacement. not to bad, Aiko with 1 year warranty, sets have sound issues, trust me i went through 4 sets, they give a great picture, but for how long 1 year ?2 years?......the guess is yours, good luck with your Aiko's they did not work for me....maybe i had bad luck.

bulberry

Acer returned to office works, using 7 day return policy store manager was great about it no problem at all , tv had a very poor picture, very greenish

yellowish, & also very dark, not at all as good as the Aiko, humming sound also coming from the Acer , i have now purchased a lg 32LC2R $1250 from the good guys with a additional 2 year warranty so 3 years in all....great picture great sound i'm now happy, anyone looking at the cheaper sets, don't waste your time, buy a brand lg, samsung, phillips, sony blah blah you get

my drift, lg looks the much better unit, its heavier and you can feel and see the quality difference, although the Aiko gave just as good a picture just had sound issues,

bulberry

Guest ekiwi
Acer returned to office works, using 7 day return policy store manager was great about it no problem at all , tv had a very poor picture, very greenish

yellowish, & also very dark, not at all as good as the Aiko, humming sound also coming from the Acer , i have now purchased a lg 32LC2R $1250 from the good guys with a additional 2 year warranty so 3 years in all....great picture great sound i'm now happy, anyone looking at the cheaper sets, don't waste your time, buy a brand lg, samsung, phillips, sony blah blah you get

my drift, lg looks the much better unit, its heavier and you can feel and see the quality difference, although the Aiko gave just as good a picture just had sound issues,

bulberry

Heya Bulberry,

Glad you got there in the end. Only thing to add re: your recommendation to buy LG, is that the Aiko is in fact an LG :blink: The panel, case, and majority of components are made by LG. Watch the tv ad where they say "we've added a Tuner" and the guy drops a Tuna in the TV and you'll see for yourself.

The Buzzing sound from the Aiko/LG unit is or rather was due to a lack of shielding around the speakers as previously described. Easily remedied in my case by snipping the wires. If you use a proper external surround system you won't need sound out of your tv, otherwise the branded LG for $500 more seems like the next best choice.

Only for the brave though as it inevitably voids your warranty. But then warrantys are rarely worth much anyways, and at prices down as low as $799 your way ahead anyway.

*KLONE did you snip in the end?

Anyone know if there's a bigger Aiko available? Dead keen to pick up another unit!

Cheers,

e.

Heya Bulberry,

Glad you got there in the end. Only thing to add re: your recommendation to buy LG, is that the Aiko is in fact an LG :blink: The panel, case, and majority of components are made by LG. Watch the tv ad where they say "we've added a Tuner" and the guy drops a Tuna in the TV and you'll see for yourself.

The Buzzing sound from the Aiko/LG unit is or rather was due to a lack of shielding around the speakers as previously described. Easily remedied in my case by snipping the wires. If you use a proper external surround system you won't need sound out of your tv, otherwise the branded LG for $500 more seems like the next best choice.

Only for the brave though as it inevitably voids your warranty. But then warrantys are rarely worth much anyways, and at prices down as low as $799 your way ahead anyway.

*KLONE did you snip in the end?

Anyone know if there's a bigger Aiko available? Dead keen to pick up another unit!

Cheers,

e.

ekiwi,

Correct you are, i did mention that the picture is very similar, the Aiko panel is the old generation panel without the XD engine, gives much smoother images than the Aiko and the case is totally different, the speakers are 2 x 8w the Aiko are 2 x 5w if im correct Aiko had light bleed issues lg does not.

Lg offer extended warranties, big w dont, the sound on the lg is way better, as for opening up and cutting wires, i dont think so, that would void any warranty

regardless of the problem, the Aiko is made under license from bigw, they import them into Australia themselves, Aiko can only be purchased from bigw....the lg set is made in Indonesia, it is much heavier and way outstrips the Aiko for quality anyday...i can make that comparison as i have had both in my living room, the Acer was just rubbish(although i think i got a dud)

Not taking anything away from the picture of the Aiko it was also brilliant, and a fantastic buy for $798-$998 but only 1 year warranty!!!

good luck with your Aiko, bigw also have the license for AWA sets, they make a bigger 106cm

lcd why dont you give that a go..

bulberry

Guest ekiwi

Thanks Bulberry,

All great information. Will definately keep an eye out for a larger model.

For those who can't stand the high freq. noise, snipping works, but you do void the warranty. But for the price I think it's a fair risk to run for 100% fix. Can't be remedied via a service for reasons already mentioned.

Still that was months ago, so no great loss :blink:

Being a mad perfectionist when it comes to picture, I'm still blown away by the Aiko/LG panel, just immaculate when hooked up to my MacMini for Home theatre. Crispest I've seen, zero bleeding via D-Sub (XVGA Connector). Notice that if using Component suffers a little ghosting, but may be my cable. Haven't tried HDMI though, no need as the VGA is perfect.

Cheers.

e.

Im going to get this set tomorrow.

If i get the buzzing noise that alot of people are getting, would the techs snip the speaker wires for me, so that i dont void the warranty?

Or is that something they would refuse to do?

If i get the buzzing noise that alot of people are getting, would the techs snip the speaker wires for me, so that i dont void the warranty?

Hi mate,

I highly doubt they would snip them for you, also even if they did I don't think that would mean that you wouldn't still have issues at the time of making a warranty claim.

If its the Acer you are talking about.. It seems to be a power supply problem.

Cheers

MATT

• 3 weeks later...
Hi mate,

I highly doubt they would snip them for you, also even if they did I don't think that would mean that you wouldn't still have issues at the time of making a warranty claim.

has anyone tried clipping on one if those ferrite (common-mode suppression) rings over the speaker cables??

i got one of the aikos last night. haven't noticed any noise, but if i do it'll be the first thing i'll try, then maybe unsolder one of the wires on each speaker if need be (that way i could resolder it if i need to make a warranty claim).

although, i imagine bigW would just swap the unit and no-one would ever notice the cut wires anyway...

has anyone tried clipping on one if those ferrite (common-mode suppression) rings over the speaker cables??

i got one of the aikos last night. haven't noticed any noise, but if i do it'll be the first thing i'll try, then maybe unsolder one of the wires on each speaker if need be (that way i could resolder it if i need to make a warranty claim).

although, i imagine bigW would just swap the unit and no-one would ever notice the cut wires anyway...

Hi mate,

I think you might be getting confused with the Acer TV see here,

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry646910

Cheers

Craig

hey craig, I think it's a fault with both...

but reguardless, any idea if those ferrite rings have been tried or if they'd help?

Edited by monkey_zu

Sorry monkey_zu just saw your question about the ferrite rings.

To be honest I have no experience with them, however google brought up this article straight away which might help you get an understanding (although you may need an engineering background).

http://www.emcia.org/documents/Ferroxcube/...suppression.pdf

Unfortuantely I feel to lousy to help you out right now, however I am sure someone here knows something about them.

(I just took leave of my final year of electronic eng degree so I am trying to avoid this stuff lol)

Cheers

Craig