Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

^^ so you reckon Aiko would be better?? I havent seen the Aiko but have seen the Viewsonic and the PQ looked fine to me..

ive never had a problem with Viewsonic in my last 9 years in software engineering so wouldnt know about the warranty issues..

i agree with # 3 though haha

Rez is the same

Brightness is the same

Contrast - Aiko sounds higher but id say the viewsonic is more an static measurement rather than dynamic = Max

refresh rate is the same

Viewing angle Aiko has 8deg more, but negligible at best

Both have HDMI

In fact i think i'd pay $1300 and get the 32" Panasonic over both of them

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I'm only using RCA cables at the moment. Can I expect a decent improvement with s-video, component, or SCART?

I know some LCD's have service menu's where you have access to more advanced settings. Anyone know if this set has such a menu?

I'm using 'Concord' SCART to SCART cables from Jaycar Electronics- very heavy cable and the resulting picture quality is nice! Not sure if you will notice the diff between RCA to S-Video, but RCA to Component or SCART I think you will see much sharper and 'cleaner' lines.

No idea about hidden advanced settings on the remote as yet, maybe need to press a succession of buttons to get to it??

^^ so you reckon Aiko would be better?? I havent seen the Aiko but have seen the Viewsonic and the PQ looked fine to me..

In fact i think i'd pay $1300 and get the 32" Panasonic over both of them

I'd pay ~$1500 to buy a 94cm Polaroid LCD TV from kmart if I had the dosh :blink:

But for $898, I get a 81cm LCD TV which is HD ready with HDMI....no contest.

Hey Guys,

Finally got my Aiko on Sunday, Looks awesome :-). The anaolg tuner looks horrible, but I'm currently using my parents old DGTEC DH-2000A HD stb with component. It can only show 1080i due to it being really old. But im curious, im keen to get a new set top box and I was wondering if 720p looks that much better over 1080i? And does anyone recommend getting a PVR?

Also what picture settings are people using for their aiko? I.e. brightness, contrast

Cheers :-)

Hey Guys,

Finally got my Aiko on Sunday, Looks awesome :-). The anaolg tuner looks horrible, but I'm currently using my parents old DGTEC DH-2000A HD stb with component. It can only show 1080i due to it being really old. But im curious, im keen to get a new set top box and I was wondering if 720p looks that much better over 1080i? And does anyone recommend getting a PVR?

Also what picture settings are people using for their aiko? I.e. brightness, contrast

Cheers :-)

My HD box is capable of 720p, the 1080i looks better, 720p is a bit blury. I guess with the 1080i you get one conversion to 1360x768 with 720p you get the 1080i converted to 720p by the box then upscaled to 1360x768 thus the blur.

I posted my settings earlier in the thread, I used DVE and Aria to do the setup.

One thing I'm wondering. Does the aiko work with harmony remotes (like the 525) OK. Having now added a STB and LCD remote, my situation is getting a bit out of hand so the Harmony would look like one option.

Hi,

I have a Harmony 525 remote which I use for my setup that includes a "no-name Chinese" brand LCD TV. The remote works with no problems. Although there is no "preset" for the TV in the setup dropdowns, all you need to do is "teach" the remote by putting the two controllers together, and the Harmony will learn the various commands, as well as suggest a "similar remote" to what you have. Mine suggested a Soniq controller, which was mostly correct.

cheers,

Chris

:blink:

Ive had the AIKO for few days now, mainly watching cricket which was ok once the brightness, color and contrast were pulled down, didnt even notice any motion blur issues but I wasnt really looking for them. On default settings the green grass looked excessively green almost fluoro like and close up of faces looked like too much make up had been used :D

However last night watching dark scenes in law and order and OZ I had a lot of trouble getting any detail in the shadows and ended up having to pump the brightness way up to 75 or so which bought the blacks back into play but made the scene too bright overall. Contrast tweeks didnt help much. Swapping the PVR to my loewe crt showed much better and more natural shadow resolution in these scenes.

Has anybody else had trouble with dark scenes in movies, is this just the nature of the beast or do higher end lcds handle this better? Thinking maybe a sd pana plasma at $1550 would be a better short term option for me :blink:

Hello All,

After reading through all the posts on this topic I decided to go and pick one of these Aiko TVs up last night and proceeded to spend the rest of today tinkering with it. $898 is a great price.

The sales dude at BigW in QV Melbourne was really helpful and was happy to set one up for me to check that it worked and had no dead pixels which was great.

I have it set up on my study desk as a second PC monitor via VGA. My video card has two outputs DVI and VGA (Sapphire ATI 9600 if I remember correctly). My main one is a 19" Samsung LCD. It's nice but managing wallpapers across two different resolutions (1360x768 and 1280x1024 is a bit of a pain ;P).

Overall I very happy with it, however there are a few minor problems.

Firstly, I've notice a slight blurring with text in one vertical section about 5-10 cms across smack bang in the middle of the screen.

Secondly when running it in monitor mode there is a constant buzzing sound emitting from the TV speakers which can get a bit annoying.

Thirdly, when running two monitors I have to run the AIKO as the primary. It doesn't seem to play well as the secondary. (e.g. right click dialog boxes will display on the Samsung instead of the AIKO, maximising a window on the AIKO won't fill up the screen correctly).

The original plan was to run an Xbox 360 via component but I found that the PQ was significantly worse than running it via D-SUB. Is this normal? I used the component cables that came with the X360 packaging and tried both 720p and 1080i modes.

Otherwise having a 32" PC monitor dominating my desk is pretty awesome. Cheers for being a great resource.

Just a question folks.

Hooked it up via 3.5" cable for sound and a vga cable and dont get sound or picture.

Followed the instructions for "PC" and it switches over to D-Sub, I get sound for 2 seconds and then it cuts out. No video whatsoever.

Wondering if anyone might know why?

(Can my GeForce4 Ti 4200 not output dvi and vga at the same time?)

Secondly when running it in monitor mode there is a constant buzzing sound emitting from the TV speakers which can get a bit annoying.

Thirdly, when running two monitors I have to run the AIKO as the primary. It doesn't seem to play well as the secondary. (e.g. right click dialog boxes will display on the Samsung instead of the AIKO, maximising a window on the AIKO won't fill up the screen correctly).

The original plan was to run an Xbox 360 via component but I found that the PQ was significantly worse than running it via D-SUB. Is this normal? I used the component cables that came with the X360 packaging and tried both 720p and 1080i modes.

Otherwise having a 32" PC monitor dominating my desk is pretty awesome. Cheers for being a great resource.

I noticed the loud buzzing too, so I tried connecting up the matching audio connection for D-sub to a spare 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and it has cleared the problem. I think its the 3.5mm stereo plug amplifier in the TV is not very refined.

Yep, this is another great forum, lots of smart contributors.

i use component for xbox360 and find PQ to be fantastic at 720p so i didn't try d-sub but i got the d-sub cable somewhere so might try.

how were the colours over d-sub? i heard that colours are not as rich but not on all LCDs so maybe aiko is one of the good ones that don't have d-sub<>x360 colour issues

also what resolutions do you get with the latest xbox update? do they offer 1366x768 now because if i remember well months ago while trying vga cable with my lcd monitor there was no such option

Ive had the AIKO for few days now, mainly watching cricket which was ok once the brightness, color and contrast were pulled down, didnt even notice any motion blur issues but I wasnt really looking for them. On default settings the green grass looked excessively green almost fluoro like and close up of faces looked like too much make up had been used :D

However last night watching dark scenes in law and order and OZ I had a lot of trouble getting any detail in the shadows and ended up having to pump the brightness way up to 75 or so which bought the blacks back into play but made the scene too bright overall. Contrast tweeks didnt help much. Swapping the PVR to my loewe crt showed much better and more natural shadow resolution in these scenes.

Has anybody else had trouble with dark scenes in movies, is this just the nature of the beast or do higher end lcds handle this better? Thinking maybe a sd pana plasma at $1550 would be a better short term option for me :blink:

this is higher end lcd :P

panel used is the latest lg-philips panel that they use in their latest ~$1800 tv

no perfect blacks is part of every lcd, plasma will give you better blacks but i personaly find more downsides to plasmas than lcd so choice for me was easy.

also from what i seen aiko blacks are quite good compared to many other lcds out there

so try to tweak and see how you go

for me i think the only show that gets really bad is as you said "law and order" so maybe that is part of a problem with series being just recorded little bit too much on dark side.

if you can't tweak it to level you happy with take it back and look plasmas

Hi Guys

I just picked one up from Eastland (Melbourne). Quite happy with it until I noticed two bright pixels. both on the left side. One at the bottom and one just above the middle. Rather annoyed as nobody else is reporting them. Might have to try returning it to see if they will replace it. (less than a day old)

8-> and 8-<

edit: I just noticed a third... that is going back to the shop

Edited by bobby1234

that is going back to the shop

done.... they wanted to check it but the guy checking it didn't give a ****. So we swapped it and he let me check the replacement... all good... nice....

now just need a input to use all the lovely pixels properly.... 8->

big up the thread for pointing to a nice inexpensive monitor.

B

Well...I think I've decided to try and return mine and get a refund. I'm finding the poor (well poorer than expected) and inconsistent black levels just too annoying.

I figure the easiest way would be to return it after Christmas as a unwanted Christmas gift. Anyone returned a big item like to to Big W and had trouble getting a refund?

Are big w likely to have a good sale on this tv after christmas?

I love answering these questions! Let me go get my crystal ball.

Crystal ball says YES....No.. Maybe. Find out in the near future!

sorry, can't be of any help, but consider this, a month ago (or was it October?) the TV was selling at $999.

Last week they promoted it as roughly 10% off. Unless they have a 25% off sale storewide (which I don't recall ever) including tv and consoles, i think this will be the best you can get.

I had been keeping my eye on a 68cm telefunken LCD from Target during the year. But since this aiko came along, I took an initial look and have been monitoring this thread and BigW prices for a month or so.

Mind you this is a secondary tv set in this household, the main CRT set will be replaced late next year with a large 40+" HD tuner LCD or plasma so it came down to features vs pricing, not branding.

i use component for xbox360 and find PQ to be fantastic at 720p so i didn't try d-sub but i got the d-sub cable somewhere so might try.

how were the colours over d-sub? i heard that colours are not as rich but not on all LCDs so maybe aiko is one of the good ones that don't have d-sub<>x360 colour issues

also what resolutions do you get with the latest xbox update? do they offer 1366x768 now because if i remember well months ago while trying vga cable with my lcd monitor there was no such option

the colours are richer in component no doubt. d-sub is a bit washed-out in comparison. i prefer my colours toned down though so d-sub looks fine for me.

resolution wise, the x360 lets me run at 1360x768/60 with d-sub with the aiko. my terminology might not be quite right but to my eyes the image in vga seems to have less aliasing (jaggies?) and also the colours don't seem to bleed as much.

regardless, after spending some more time tinkering with the settings, i'd be happy with either connection. so apologies for my initial reaction to the x360 PQ in component.

fwiw i'm sticking with d-sub, i personally prefer it and it leaves component free for the ps2.

btw. the 3.5mm plug in the PC Audio socket trick didn't work for me. i still get that buzzing noise. maybe i should try actually hooking the PC and TV audio up. will need a proper cable for that (all i have on hand is an extension cord).

i stop noticing it after awhile though so its all good. thanks for the suggestion.

I bought the Aiko. Loved it. But the day after I bought it, my neighbour told me he's selling a Samsung LA32R51B for $1100. So I packed up the Aiko - returned it to Big W, told them I wasn't happy with picture quality - and got a refund - no questions asked.

The Samsung rocks! Well worth paying an extra $200 for the quality exterior finish and better picture quality.

I bought the Aiko. Loved it. But the day after I bought it, my neighbour told me he's selling a Samsung LA32R51B for $1100. So I packed up the Aiko - returned it to Big W, told them I wasn't happy with picture quality - and got a refund - no questions asked.

The Samsung rocks! Well worth paying an extra $200 for the quality exterior finish and better picture quality.

Where did you buy it for that price?

it's about time i posted here

I purchased the AIKO 81cm Lcd in October soon after Dockersfan refered to it.

I paid $999 for it, before the sale!!! duh

I'am not concerned it was still a good price.

no dead pixals and no other problems yet.

Very capable TV set, very good picture better with a good source.

HD tuner in pc

DSUB in from pc "pvr" 1360*768 still good picture.

HDMI in from a pc "pvr" runs at 1920*1080, very very nice :blink:

i wonder if aiko will bring model with 42" and up based on the latest lg-philips panels, they have couple of 1080p panels with very sexy specs

i got plan to swap one of my units with 42" or bigger and the 32" unit would go on the wall in my kitchen

Guest El Wapo

I was almost going to buy this screen, amazing value.

I rang up Big W and was told they had four left, So the next day I went in to buy the TV only to find that the night before a sprinkler leaked over the crate of Aikos and all the TVs where destroyed.

:blink:

Then I had a nightmere searching Retravision, Betta, Good guys for something that was similar, but I had no luck. The sales people where complet lying a-hole know it alls. the best they could give me was $50 of a Palsonic.

I was very impressed with Harvey norman, and the sales people where not push and offered me some great deals.

Edited by El Wapo

i wonder if aiko will bring model with 42" and up based on the latest lg-philips panels, they have couple of 1080p panels with very sexy specs

i got plan to swap one of my units with 42" or bigger and the 32" unit would go on the wall in my kitchen

I only wish is that they used a DVI in instead of Dsub.

anyone know the max resolution for component inputs