Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

I went to Big W in Brisbane city and asked if they would price match the warrawong price like the store in runnaway bay did but I had no luck. I got the we don't match manager specials response, Still it looks like a good buy and I may get one tomorrow anyway.

The store had it connected via composite from a cheap SD stb, so I'm assuming from what I've read the picture should be a lot better via component or HDMI, is that correct?

I must admit it's a little on the fugly side but I can live with it as it's half the price of a samsung R71 and that = xbox360 and mac mini HTPC for me. Thanks for the wisdom.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a look at the Aiko 81cm at BigW at Mt Ommaney in Brisbane yesterday. Actually, I spent about half the day looking at a lot of 81cm LCDs at BigW, Kmart, JB HiFI, Retravision and Harvey Norman. BigW was the only place that had their LCDs going through composite, so the Aiko looked the worst of all of the LCDs I looked at, I am sure it is a lot better then what I saw. I thought the AWA sitting next to it looked slightly better in PQ. I'm really keen on this TV because of the price, input options and revews here. Just wish I could have a look at one that was hooked up properly.

Anyway, from what I saw in the $1000-$2000 price range or thereabouts, the standouts were the Samsungs. Kmart at Indooripilly had a decent setup and the Samsung LA32T51BX looked very good. But not too far behind in PQ, very close call actually, was the Magnavox MLCD32, but I don't think the Magnavox has HDMI. The Magnavox was $999, exactly half the price of the Samsung. (I didn't haggle at all, just looking)

In my view the best one for PQ was the Samsung LA32R71BX (built in HD tuner) for around $2000 at JB Indooripilly. There seems to be so many different models of the Samsungs, a bit confusing. I really liked the LA32R71BX but have no need for the built in HD tuner, and there didn't seem to be the same model available without the tuner.

I also looked at the previous model Sony Bravias that are being sold down now. PQ on these is very good too but I liked the Samsungs better. Best price for the Bravia KLV32S200 I could get was $1850 at both JB and Retravison at Indooripilly, but I didn't try too hard.

Still haven't decided what I'm going to go for yet. I've been waiting for 81cm LCDs to reach these prices. It's just so tempting when you see TVs like the Aiko and Magnavox at half the price of the recognised brands, but with seemingly similar PQ.

Does anyone have SCART output working?

OK, if anyone's interested I just answered my own question:

When the HD-STB is connected to the TV through Component, the SCART cannot output the video signal to the HDD DVD Recorder via S-Video or Composite.

Thus, I connected the STB to the TV via Composite and viola! I get a (bad) video output to the HDD DVD Recorder.

When the HD-STB is connected to the TV through Component, the SCART cannot output the video signal to the HDD DVD Recorder via S-Video or Composite.

Thus, I connected the STB to the TV via Composite and viola! I get a (bad) video output to the HDD DVD Recorder.

I have this TV and Hotchip 500hdmi.

I have HDMI into TV. Component (RGB) from STB into HDD recorder.

And i have foxtel by scart - scart into Scart 1.

and foxtel by composite into HDD recorder.

This way i can record both foxtel and TV. It records TV in SD though, but

i have a conia HDD recorder so its only SD anyway.

Very happy with TV. Had it for a couple of months now i think? no problems.

sounds about right

i don't believe you will get output when you use component/dsub/hdmi regardless what tv it is it might work with RGB on some sets and should work on all sets with composite/svideo/tuner sources those come direcly from video module inside tv and it is how was done since there was first tv made with input/outputs

Thanks Croc

I managed to ring the support line, and they confirm independent input and that when you turn it on and off it comes back to the last used input (but then they are a call center, so I don't know if they can be trusted).

They didn't know the model of the panel used in the Unit, which I could compare against other units for performance range and color. Has anybody located a better website for Aiko?

It looks like Big W is buying direct from overseas, so there price should be one of the lowest you can get.

Is it possible to get 1280*720 50p, or 1360*768, or 1366*768 etc working properly through the VGA, or at least the 60p versions?

I would prefer a 1080 or 37inch plus panel at a low price, or even 32inch with 92% color, has anybody seen any?

Thanks Croc

I managed to ring the support line, and they confirm independent input and that when you turn it on and off it comes back to the last used input (but then they are a call center, so I don't know if they can be trusted).

They didn't know the model of the panel used in the Unit, which I could compare against other units for performance range and color. Has anybody located a better website for Aiko?

It looks like Big W is buying direct from overseas, so there price should be one of the lowest you can get.

sorry i some how didn't notice that question before

yes it does remember your last used input selection no problem

it uses panel which is the current model from phillips unlike other cheap tvs that use some older panels

here are some more details and than select LC320W01 http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/j.../prd100_j_e.jsp

one you were looking at is 72% colour saturation

Is the Aiko still the pick of the 32" LCD bunch to buy at this price?

no questions asked

i was walking around dse/jbhifi/goodguys and i seen lots of panels that are worst and not one that would make aiko look bad

Hi all,

Thanks for all the good reviews on this set, that and the price convinced me and after about 5 months of indecisiveness I picked one of these up today from Big W chermside. So far I'm very pleased, no dead pixels, and I can't notice any backlight bleeding. The picture seems quite good although I haven't played with the settings yet.

I have a laptop connected via dsub, SD stb via svideo, xbox via scart and tomorrow I'll open the new xbox 360 plug it into component.

So far I'm very happy although the GF is still giving me the evil eye.

Time for bed.

Thanks again Croc.

I saw the new 26inch model there, and the picture seems even better, like the Phillips 32 inch I have seen. Unfortunately it was doing a HD feed, and all they had for the 32inch was cartoons or "Grumpy Old Women" DVD that has the look of a Sony Z1 with way too much color. But I fiddled with the modes, and it didn't come up nicely compared to what it would have been on my TV (then again, I only watched "Grumpy Old Men" on my TV, I was far too grumpy to watch "Grumpy Old Women" :blink:

72%, so it will be much of a muchness between the Samsung based Highlander and the Aiko, more a matter of which gets discounted first. For around $1999 you can get a 4Mp 30inch Dell, I wonder if that will come on special. I know next year we will be seeing 70% color 56inch 8Mp screens, so I suspect the prices of the Dell might be coming down.

Still, has anybody got 1280*720 50p, or 1360*768, or 1366*768 etc working properly through the VGA, or at least the 60p versions?

Has anybody seen 1080 or 37inch plus panel at a low price, or even 32inch with 92% color?

Thanks

Edited by SteveM

i'm not quite sure what you after, not trying to be rude but your posts are bit unclear, maybe you should start new thread and leave this one on topic which is AIKO 32"

My posts are very clear/transparent. Much of a comparison between this panel and any better ones (appears to be one at the moment). Plus an conclusion of options available. And a nice question about any others I should consider instead of this one. Hardly difficult, but thanks for the help anyway.

Edited by SteveM

Hi everyone. Im a newbie and not as tech as some of you. I bought this great TV at BIG W too and am very happy with it.

I have some minor questions though. I have it hoked up toa DVd player and Sound Amp/Surround Sound system.

While i have the TV Channels tuned throught the DVD player/Recorder. WHAT CHANNEL can I watch a DVD thriugh on the TV!!

It doesnt seem to have a A/V button on remote like most TVs.

At the moment im having to go MENU>FUNCTIONS>IMPUT and change it each time from TV to VIDEO

Surely there must be an easier way?

Cheers!

Danny

My posts are very clear/transparent. Much of a comparison between this panel and any better ones (appears to be one at the moment). Plus an conclusion of options available. And a nice question about any others I should consider instead of this one. Hardly difficult, but thanks for the help anyway.

if you say so :blink:

Hi Aiko fans,

I'm just wondering what settings people are using for an xbox 360 for games and DVDs, I've only just got a 360 and the few DVDs I've tried look a touch grainy (via component). Is the 360 a good up converting DVD player or not? So far I find my laptop connected by dsub has the best picture so would a vga cable for xbox 360 be better than component?

Thanks

I do. I can't help it if people don't have the patience (or effort) to read, and the patience to interpret comprehensively. Which is too common on todays Internet, where us old school Internet people are some of the few ones to give an full answer to the enquiries of ignored lost people, not just bits and pieces of incomplete answers. However, the courtesy is rarely returned by an population more interested in themselves than to nut out problems. You are just about the only one here that goes at least half way to this past standard.

For instance, as an example of the current Internet generation: On the regular forums I am on, I have suggested the forum moderators to have header post/link for large threads, to summarise all the essential technical information in the thread, so people don't have to read thousands of posts in a thread, and so we don't have to answer the same questions repeatedly to newcomers, and save a lot of hassle. But after so many years, they are still too lazy to do these simple adjustments.

Thanks.

steve as i said i'm not trying to be rude, i wont point out with fingers but your posts really are bit unclear in some parts

btw my middle name is old school :blink:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm a little worried about my Aiko having problems (ie. black bleeding, etc.).

What should I do IF that, or any other problem, happens to my soon-to-be new TV?

EDIT: Yes, only a few days now. By this coming Thursday, I will have (barely) enough money to purchase the Aiko. Then after Xmas, I'll start saving for the PS3!

put it this way

if aiko bleeding (if there is any) would be a problem for you than there is no LCD on market that would suit you.

if you compare you will find that some big names out there have huge problems with bleeding compared to aiko/philips

this is latest philips panel and unless you get dead unit out of the box i don't think you (or anyonelse) could be unhappy with this unit PQ

if you read my posts you will find that i got two units now and got the 2nd one about 2 weeks after the first one, with so many choices out there at same prices there is no way i would buy 2nd aiko if it wasn't really good.

once you buy it hook it up right away and test with your STB and also with some plain colour images to check for dead pixels, if you take it back same day to shop they will give you replacment if there is something wrong with your tv, don't go in to details just make up some story that they can't possibly check and you will walk out with new tv or your money back in your pocket.

best if you tell them that after it runs for a while it start making clicking noise at random, word random covers you if they try to test it at the shop(which they wont).

steve as i said i'm not trying to be rude, i wont point out with fingers but your posts really are bit unclear in some parts

btw my middle name is old school :D

I concur with you Croc. Sounds like SteveM has a problem deciding how to lighten his big fat wallet :blink:

Please stay on topic - Aiko 81cm TV for less than $1K. In my view this Aiko is a no brainer - especially for those people with a tight budget - like myself. If you're willing to spend more $$$ for better quality/more features/sexier exterior look to other models in other threads.

Hi Aiko fans,

I'm just wondering what settings people are using for an xbox 360 for games and DVDs, I've only just got a 360 and the few DVDs I've tried look a touch grainy (via component). Is the 360 a good up converting DVD player or not? So far I find my laptop connected by dsub has the best picture so would a vga cable for xbox 360 be better than component?

Thanks

I tried the XBox360 video via component, it only outputs at 578p and the scaler in the panel aint the greatest. Hooked up a scaling DVD player via HDMI, much better.

The settings I'm using for the XBox360 are:

Contrast 99

Brightness 54

Colour 61

Sharpness 35

Colour temp Normal

There seems to only one setting for all analogue inputs and hdmi and another for vga which is just brightness and contrast. I set mine using the HDMI DVD player as source as the movie settings were more important to me than the games settings.

Edited by Pilfer

if you say so :blink:

I do. I can't help it if people don't have the patience (or effort) to read, and the patience to interpret comprehensively. Which is too common on todays Internet, where us old school Internet people are some of the few ones to give an full answer to the enquiries of ignored lost people, not just bits and pieces of incomplete answers. However, the courtesy is rarely returned by an population more interested in themselves than to nut out problems. You are just about the only one here that goes at least half way to this past standard.

For instance, as an example of the current Internet generation: On the regular forums I am on, I have suggested the forum moderators to have header post/link for large threads, to summarise all the essential technical information in the thread, so people don't have to read thousands of posts in a thread, and so we don't have to answer the same questions repeatedly to newcomers, and save a lot of hassle. But after so many years, they are still too lazy to do these simple adjustments.

Thanks.