Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

I think someone reported 2 dead 'sub' pixels or something similar earlier on in this thread (I think he said they were permantly lit green). Can anyone who owns one of these report on how bad they think the back-light bleed is, I ask because we had a magnavox lcd that had 2 dogdy pixels but the biggest issue I had with it was that each corner about 1/3 of the way to the centre of the screen had back-light bleed through - it was very annoying in my opinion.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think someone reported 2 dead 'sub' pixels or something similar earlier on in this thread (I think he said they were permantly lit green). Can anyone who owns one of these report on how bad they think the back-light bleed is, I ask because we had a magnavox lcd that had 2 dogdy pixels but the biggest issue I had with it was that each corner about 1/3 of the way to the centre of the screen had back-light bleed through - it was very annoying in my opinion.

i strugle to see any bleeding, even at night with all lights out and nothing but black on screen i see no bleeding at all.

if there is any i simply can't see it on both of my screens.

but i believe there was slight bleed out of the box, had same thing on my 22" lcd for pc, bit of bleeeding in first few days then it would go away.

I think someone reported 2 dead 'sub' pixels or something similar earlier on in this thread (I think he said they were permantly lit green).

i'm sure it will happen to some people but compared to what sony done with PSP that just about every single unit got some dead/stuck pixels its great difference, i believe sony use samsung lcds in psp.

I had it running in 1360x768 for a while, but it seems to be stuck on 1024x768 for the moment through my MythTV PVR.

How is the picture quality?

I am getting stuttering playback quality, almost like low-quality compression.

I've tried 1024x768 down to 640x480. However on my 19" monitor at 1280x720 I get perfectly smooth playback. CPU usage is around 23%. When I tried 1360x768, 1368x768, 1280x720 and 1024x576, but keep getting "out of range" from the Aiko.

Will try a DVI-HDMI adapter tomorrow and see.

I have it hooked up to my PC as a second monitor via D-Sub running 1366x768 @ 50Hz for playing back HD recordings (I have 2 digital tuners and use my PC as a TIVO).

What video card do you have? Are you using Powerstrip to force the card into 1366x768?

I am running MythTV on Linux, and the TV only accepts 1024x768. However once or twice it showed 1360x768 (note 60, not 66) and then it reverted to 1024x768. My video card is an ATI Radeon 9550?

BTW: how is the video playback quality? I am getting an effect like a low-quality compressed video on the TV, but not on my monitor at a higher resolution. Text and static images are perfect.

What video card do you have? Are you using Powerstrip to force the card into 1366x768?

I am running MythTV on Linux, and the TV only accepts 1024x768. However once or twice it showed 1360x768 (note 60, not 66) and then it reverted to 1024x768. My video card is an ATI Radeon 9550?

BTW: how is the video playback quality? I am getting an effect like a low-quality compressed video on the TV, but not on my monitor at a higher resolution. Text and static images are perfect.

A nVidia 7900GT based card. I am setting it to 1360x768 by creating a custom resolution in the control panel. Sorry, I check and I have it at 1360 not 1366. It seemed to accept it at 60hz straight away but I adjust timing to 50Hz to better match PAL playback. I found mine chewed CPU time and was jerky using VMR9 playback but was perfectly smooth using the overlay. Mine isn't blocky at all, seems about the same quality as my set top box.

This TV seems to be a very good one, for an LCD. The Dubbo BigW has one, for $998, and I'm thinking of getting it over the Samsung Slimfit CRT TV (same price).

This TV has HDMI, Component, and even PC connection. From some of the posts here, I gather that it has worked quite well for those same posters. I need the first two ports for my Xbox 360 and, when it's time, my Playstation 3.

The only concern I have is how well it displays blacks, it's fast motion handling ability, and (as someone posted above) something about dead pixels/sub pixels.

Aleviate my worry about that and I'm sure I will purchase this Aiko LCD over the Samsung CRT.

EDIT: Also, does anyone who owns one of these know if it suffers from image burn-in, particulary from TV logos?

I'm also running mythtv with a Nvidia Geforce 6200. I had the same issue, once or twice it was running at 1360x768 on DSUB, but as soon as I used the HDMI there were no problems with the res.

As I was describing before, I experience a "tearing" effect with the DSUB, but the HDMI fixed that.

It seemed to accept it at 60hz straight away but I adjust timing to 50Hz to better match PAL playback.
I'm also running mythtv with a Nvidia Geforce 6200. I had the same issue, once or twice it was running at 1360x768 on DSUB, but as soon as I used the HDMI there were no problems with the res.

Thanks both of you.

I changed to 50Hz @ 1360x768 and the TV scaled this back to to 1280x768p @ 50Hz. This gave playback under Windows. The same timings on MythTV didn't much improve the quality.

The difference is that Windows used the DVI output. Linux/MythTV output to DSUB. Whereas both output to DVI on my desktop monitor. I am hoping for better playback quality if I can DVI to work under Linux...

Hey everyone - just letting you all know that I phoned my local Big W (Runaway Bay) and asked for them to price match the $898 Big W Warrawong was selling the Aiko 32" for. The young guy I was transferred to in the Audio Visual department put me on hold for about 5-10 minutes and then came back to say the AV Manager said that was Ok. Awesome! So I picked up my awesome Aiko 32" on Thursday for the bargain price of $898! Good luck in scoring a bargain everyone - I'm loving my new TV!!!

This TV is sounding like quite the gem! I suppose it won't hurt to buy one. I just don't want it to be ruined by anything I mentioned in my last post, that's all!

I haven't noticed any motion blur at all, been playing Gears of War on it most of the day. As with virtually all LCDs the blacks aren't black but dark grey, not really noticable unless you watch lots of dark movies. Even then the shadow detail is pretty good, no black crush like some LCDs. As for burn in, I didn't think LCDs suffered from burn in, that's mainly plasma or CRT based displays. I had no dead or stuck pixels, but looking at the manual the dead pixel policy is as follows.

Max bright dots, single 3, adjacet 0

Max dark dots, single 6, adjacent 2

Not defect free guarentee, but it is a budget panel.

hi phoenix

i really find it hard to think that anyone would be unhappy with this tv

i played fair bit on x360 last weekend and got to say that motion blur is better than on my 5ms 22" lcd for pc, for example same game, pes6, on pc is quite bad on the 5ms panel where on aiko with 8ms (by the book) there is no motion blur at all.

gears of war that is quite dark with small adjustment to brightness within game looked so sweet i couldn't get in to the game for good 30min because i was just running around and poping my eyes out

perfect panel at perfect price.

you will love it

Hey everyone - just letting you all know that I phoned my local Big W (Runaway Bay) and asked for them to price match the $898 Big W Warrawong was selling the Aiko 32" for. The young guy I was transferred to in the Audio Visual department put me on hold for about 5-10 minutes and then came back to say the AV Manager said that was Ok. Awesome! So I picked up my awesome Aiko 32" on Thursday for the bargain price of $898! Good luck in scoring a bargain everyone - I'm loving my new TV!!!

If you don't ask you'll never know if you can get it. Well done!!

Hi Croc

Thanks for the reply. It seems that I would not be the only happy user of this TV, as I've seen many a good post about it.

My mind is now made up. As soon as I amass $998, I will go and purchase this TV.

My only worry now is...if it can fit in my room *embarassed look*.

Heya Nova Phoenix - as per my last post, try calling your local Big W and asking them to price match Big W Warrawong (NSW) for $898 - you never know, they may just agree to it - which means you would only need to amass $898 rather than $998 :blink: Good luck!

I have also purchased one of these TVs, and I'm extremely happy with it! It is currently running as a second monitor on my 7800GT card at 1360x768@60.

I don't know what else I can say about this, its great for the price and I'd like to see what the Wii will look like with component cables.

Heya Nova Phoenix - as per my last post, try calling your local Big W and asking them to price match Big W Warrawong (NSW) for $898 - you never know, they may just agree to it - which means you would only need to amass $898 rather than $998 :blink: Good luck!

Once I get at least that $898, I will ask them and see what happens. Thanks for the tip folojo! :D

I bought the 81cm model today, primarily for playing games. I have it set up in my room with an xbox360 and logitech z-2300 speakers at a total cost of about $1900. This in my eyes was a bargain. The picture quality on the 360 is great, sharper and more vivid than i expected. Ive viewed a few 720p video clips and they too looked very tidy. Response times seem to be very quick. The contrast isnt that great, though it looks about the same as most other lcd's. I havnt noticed any dead/stuck pixels and the set doesnt emit any strange nosies, the remote looks a bit crap.

Altogther im very happy with this telly as i was worried id be taking it back tomorrow. Ive been looking at buying a flat screen for ages, checked them all out but i couldnt justify spending several grand on an emerging technology the standard of which is fast becoming obsolete (720p), and will no doubt only work for a few years. If the Aiko doesnt burst into flames/spout forked lighting it will do just fine till jumbo 1080p panels exists at competitive prices.

Hi

I am looking at this panel, and I have a few questions.

I would like to know if all the ports on the panel are independent. On my Rowa 68cm TV, for example, SVIDEO and Component and some of the sound channels, are tied together. So you can only have Svideo or component, unless you want to unplug and replug things. To make matters worse three of the ports seem to share one audio channel. Can all the ports be used with active equipment plugged in at one time?

When you turn the display off and on, will it restart in the input mode it was in before you turned it off, with normal color? Another problem from my Rowa, no matter what port (video component or svideo) I am using, when I turn off it turns back on in analogue TV mode (makes set top box usage difficult). This problem also restarts in B&W when I turn off in component mode.

About the VGA performance and HDMI. The problems with VGA output modes compared to HDMI, could that be because some PC hardware acceleration is tuned to particular standard resolutions? Is it possible to get 1280*720 50p, or 1360*768, or 1366*768 etc working properly through the VGA, or at least the 60p versions?

About the panel model used:

Does anybody know what the model number of the LG/Phillips panel is? If anybody has it or a website reference, I can look it up and find out the performance characteristic. Most LCD's are color limited compared to CRT's.

Some are 30 to 40% of the colorspace of NTSC (which is less than PAL which is less than newer HD systems and much less than the human eye). More modern back-lit panels do 72% of NTSC and 92% of NTSC. There is technology now that will do within 90% of what the human eye can see, and the latest announcement was for something that can replicate more colors than the human eye can see. I would like to see if this panel is one of those 92% of NTSC panels.

I recently went to an clearance sale with many newer TV's, most sets were great pictures, some were just silky smooth. I remember a Phillips back-lit one like that.

Other TVs?

I would prefer a 1080 or 37inch plus panel at a low price, or even 32inch with 92% color, has anybody seen any? I have been looking at a $999 32inch Highlander LCD TV at The Warehouse. It is a 72% NTSC color Samsung panel, has dual component and one scart, and probably one more AV. Looks gorgeous, this is the one I want to compare against on panel specs.

Thanks

Steve

Hi

I am looking at this panel, and I have a few questions.

I would like to know if all the ports on the panel are independent. On my Rowa 68cm TV, for example, SVIDEO and Component and some of the sound channels, are tied together. So you can only have Svideo or component, unless you want to unplug and replug things. To make matters worse three of the ports seem to share one audio channel. Can all the ports be used with active equipment plugged in at one time?

component got its own audio

i got x360 on component and ps2 on svideo at the same time no problem, no cable upluging needed or anything like this

Does anyone have SCART output working? I'm using this SCART adapter on SCART2 (set to output, tried both S-Video and RCA) and can only get the audio output to my HDD DVD recorder (LG RH1888H) working.

I'm trying to record the component stream from my HD-STB (Hotchip 500HDMI) but no success as yet. I have the TV set to Component when I'm trying to record. I've also tried recording when the STB was outputting 576p, 720p and 1080i and none have worked.

There's no menu item I can see that lets you configure the SCART sources, but the manual says SCART2 supports monitor out and SCART1 supports RF out.

Other than that, it's a fantastic set!

I don't have a Xbox 360 so I don't know about it's remote, but you should be able to get most universal preset code remote controlers to work. Try 610 if you need a 3 digit code, if you need only a 2 digit then try 15 as the code, I think this should work. The only catch is I think you will find that when you try to move from one input source to another you will have to use the program up/down button on a remote instead of using cursor controls. Also once you have the AV input you wish to accept press the +/up volume button on the remote to accept/enter.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Clipping