Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder if this is another rebadged and slightly altered version of that tv from over seas http://www.ktvcorp.com/jpn/busi/content.asp?goods_num=364

anyone know what the exact rear inputs and any side inputs the Aiko 81cm has ?

whats it like with fast moving pictures eg football, action movies, video games

There's a V7 (Videoseven) Unit that looks identical too (Silver instead of black though)...

http://www.videoseven.de/mediadata/images/...032D%20engl.pdf

600:1 contrast ratio, and 18ms response... but this unit claims to have both 15-in DSUB VGA and DVI inputs...

dse is the ultimate rubish lcd tv

picture quality is not even close to this aiko and motion blur on dse panel is just plain shocking

Thanks Croc,

I must admit that when viewing the DSE screen in Powerhouse, the image was very soft with a lack of detail and fine lines, but I thought this may have just been the result of the input they were using.

Edited by chooka

There's a V7 (Videoseven) Unit that looks identical too (Silver instead of black though)...

http://www.videoseven.de/mediadata/images/...032D%20engl.pdf

600:1 contrast ratio, and 18ms response... but this unit claims to have both 15-in DSUB VGA and DVI inputs...

this unit is not identical, even if you ignore the specs this tv looks different, just because it got speakers under the screen doesn't make it identical

Just bought one of these at Macquarie Centre in Sydney. Chullora also had them in stock. Blacktown and Winston Hills were out of stock.

I have hooked up to the AWA SD STB ($70, also from BigW) via component. DVD via SVideo (no second component input). VCR via composite sharing the audio with SVideo!

The picture quality is better than most LCDs or Plasmas as set up in most stores. This is not surprising since most stores don't set up their panels correctly.

What I like:

- The price

- The picture quality

- The no frills look

- Works perfectly with my PC (Thinkpad & desktop).

What I don't like:

- 1yr Warranty

- Blacks are grey under low light - not unexpected.

- Lack of inputs - OK, since this will be hooked up to an HTPC

- No front or side inputs

The Tevion with more inputs from ALDI or the JBHIFI/DSE units with extended warranties would have been a better bargain, but I needed one that was guaranteed to work with my HTPC.

Just a week after I bought one at $998, my local BigW (Warrawong,NSW) had the Aiko 32" for $898.

This is a great deal for a really good LCD TV.

is the $898 price a nation wide store price or only at that selected store you mentioned?

btw, i switched xbox360 output to 1080p to see what happens and still got picture and tv recognized mode showing 1920x1080@60

anyone got idea what's the go with this? is it safe to run like this? would it look better or worst than 720p?

does not like 1920x1080p@50 showing "out of range" which is strange since 1920x1080@60 is higher than @50

hey Croc are you still running it in 1080P and if so any problems running it at that resolution so far?

weird that it can run that resolution

is the $898 price a nation wide store price or only at that selected store you mentioned?

hey Croc are you still running it in 1080P and if so any problems running it at that resolution so far?

weird that it can run that resolution

Does anyone know if any Gold Coast or Brisbane Big W stores are selling the Aiko TV for $898???

got 2nd unit for spare room last weekend :blink:

even after looking at bigger brands and having the money for any of them i went with this unit again because it really rocks and it performs better than some major players out there.

was going to get samsung but with lots of dark areas on screen the backlight bleeding was schocking where aiko got no backlight bleeding at all.

2 units both perfect, that includes no dead pixels, non at all (checked with 6 colour backgrounds) on both screens.

got 2nd unit for spare room last weekend :blink:

even after looking at bigger brands and having the money for any of them i went with this unit again because it really rocks and it performs better than some major players out there.

was going to get samsung but with lots of dark areas on screen the backlight bleeding was schocking where aiko got no backlight bleeding at all.

2 units both perfect, that includes no dead pixels, non at all (checked with 6 colour backgrounds) on both screens.

Croc, how much did you pay for the AIKO???

Big W in the Melbourne city (Queen Victoria Village) has one on display, and they are in stock for $998.

The sales girl seemed to think if another Big W was selling these for $898, they would match that after a phone call to that store (which was apparently Warrawong, NSW).

yeah not sure if people are mixing up the price of $898 for the 68cm(26inch) that they are also supposed to sell, would be good to know if its the 81cm for sure and if others stores are selling it also at that price and if all stores will price match the Warrawong store

yeah not sure if people are mixing up the price of $898 for the 68cm(26inch) that they are also supposed to sell, would be good to know if its the 81cm for sure and if others stores are selling it also at that price and if all stores will price match the Warrawong store

It was definitely a mark-down on the 81cm last Saturday at Warrawong. But it may have been short-lived.

I just called the Warrawong store. Apparently the price of $898 (the guy I spoke to said $899) is only until this Wednesday, and is most likely a Manager's special, that other stores won't match.

I bought one from the Melbourne city Big W tonight for $998. Very happy with it :blink:

I'm running it through the VGA D-Sub at the moment, because JCar were out of the DVI->HDMI connectors.

I had it running in 1360x768 for a while, but it seems to be stuck on 1024x768 for the moment through my MythTV PVR.

How much difference should I expect to notice with the HDMI connector? I'm noticing a bit of tearing (I'm not sure if that's the right term), which is assume is because of the connector.

As others have mentioned, the backlight does bleed through a little on the bottom left and top right corner, but it doesn't bother me, and it really only noticable in total black or very dark scenes. The viewing angle also isn't great, especially if you're looking down on it.

Looking forward to hooking this up to the Nintendo Wii in a couple of weeks :D

I bought one from the Melbourne city Big W tonight for $998. Very happy with it :blink:

I'm running it through the VGA D-Sub at the moment, because JCar were out of the DVI->HDMI connectors.

I had it running in 1360x768 for a while, but it seems to be stuck on 1024x768 for the moment through my MythTV PVR.

How much difference should I expect to notice with the HDMI connector? I'm noticing a bit of tearing (I'm not sure if that's the right term), which is assume is because of the connector.

As others have mentioned, the backlight does bleed through a little on the bottom left and top right corner, but it doesn't bother me, and it really only noticable in total black or very dark scenes. The viewing angle also isn't great, especially if you're looking down on it.

Looking forward to hooking this up to the Nintendo Wii in a couple of weeks :D

re: viewing angle they don't work as team (don't know how else to call it) if you right in front of your screen and you move up and down viewing angle is true to its specs, now if you stay leveled with the screen and move left or right once again viewing angle is true to its specs BUT if you move for example right and down it will not look the same, in short it only works one way at the time and this is true to just about all LCD panels out there and if you compare to other screens you might find that aiko perfeorms quite good

I got one of the Aiko 81cm LCDs from BigW last week for $998. I am very impressed. Once all setup and calibrated it gives a great picture, blacks could be blacker but the same is true of all LCDs. The flesh tones are very good and I haven't seen any sign of motion blur yet.

I have it hooked up to my PC as a second monitor via D-Sub running 1366x768 @ 50Hz for playing back HD recordings (I have 2 digital tuners and use my PC as a TIVO). Connected to my HD set top box and DVD player via HDMI with a switch box. XBox360 via component, PS2 via RGB scart and Gamecube via SVideo. It all works brilliantly. I have even tried 1080P over component and HDMI and both work surprisingly, but only at 60Hz, 50Hz gives out of range. It was going to be a stop gap til sometime next year until I got a 1920x1080 panel, but seeing the quality now I don't think it's worth it unless I get a rediculously large panel, I think better to keep it and upgrade my projector to a 1080P one, then the extra resolution would be useful.

bit off topic

it really shocks me is how such big size lcd panels come with no dead pixels, out of this thread i don't think anyone reported single dead pixel yet with this unit while my PSP i had replaced 3 times before i got no dead pixels unit and 2nd one i got for my son i gave up after 3rd replacment that came with dead pixels as the first two.