Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

picture quality seem much better on aiko than on awa imho

as for ugly look no further than AWA

i find the aiko quite good looking, love the black finish and it is very good finish too, the only ugly part about it is that speakers are on the bottom but it doesn't really do much for me.

ignoring taste of what's ugly and what's not quality of this unit (outside and not the picture) is top grade, i seen big names looking more on the cheap side than this tv.

since i put it on the wall it looks the same minus the stand, if it is more ugly or not i don't know

if you wish i can snap couple of pictures

Hey guys,

I just put this tv on lay buy this week, Im too caught up with other things to buy and schoolies stuff to pay for hehe, so Im just slowly paying it off. I couldn't resist getting it since I haven't seen an LCD with HDMI this cheap before!

Anyway, I'd really appreciate Croc if you put some pictures up, Im really interested in seeing how it looks minus the stand.

Cheers :blink:

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Croc, thanks for your useful comments. Can you tell us how hot the unit gets? I had a 27" Sharp LCD earlier this year for a few weeks before the panel died - and I noticed there was two low speed fans cooling the LCD. Does this Aiko have fans? And secondly, does the unit have enough ventilation when mounted on the wall?

I don't think it looks ugly, when you compare it to an old philips 68cm CRT :< I'm hoping to get this aiko soon, early xmas pressie for my olds, I don't want to burn their house down.

no fans that i can hear, there is no noise from inside of any kind, i wont open my unit but if there was any fan i'm sure i could hear it with muted volume

and i don't think it would need any fans because it doesn't heat up at all, if i put hand at the back of this tv it seem so cool that you would think it isn't even on

in short, not only it isn't hot but also it doesn't even get warm

it sure is night now but is around 22C in my bedroom and tv was running for around 6hours

in short, not only it isn't hot but also it doesn't even get warm

it sure is night now but is around 22C in my bedroom and tv was running for around 6hours

Really? That's pretty amazing. LCD tech must be moving rapidly cos the Sharp I had was fairly warm after an hours use, and I think the power consumption was rated at 110W. Whats the Aiko power consumption rated at?

this is picture i took during a day, but it was for other reason so i didn't really pay attention to just TV but more to how it sits over my mirror, i tried to make it brighter but not much more can do with this one

i will take better shots tomorrow or day after

http://www.90milebeach.com.au/P1060007.JPG

Really? That's pretty amazing. LCD tech must be moving rapidly cos the Sharp I had was fairly warm after an hours use, and I think the power consumption was rated at 110W. Whats the Aiko power consumption rated at?

i put my manual in a garage so maybe someone else come up with this info

but it really runs cool, back got lots of vent holes, and when i put hand right on top of it i feels not even close to what i call warm

Croc since you already purchased the tv, do all the cables we need come with the tv or is there other cables we need to purchase in order to work?

I know I have to buy the HDMI cable separately, but all the cables I have currently is an old atenna for which I was planning to replace with a new one. Will I able be able to connect an attena to the tv?

Cheers :blink:

Hey Rosco122 and AlisonS, you might want to check your dvd player's Video Preferences - make sure your TV type is set to 'Widescreen or 16:9'. That should stretch out the picture on your widescreen TV if your previous TV was a normal 4:3 screen, as your dvd player would have been sending the video signal as 'Letterboxed' :blink:

It explains why the picture still has black lines top and bottom and the picture is squashed

cheers gooseball, but mine isn't squashed. :D

I just meant like watching star wars will have black lines cause its diff to 16:9.

Someone said something like 2:35:1 or so???

I just bought one of these lcds and am quite pleased with the picture. I've been playing around with the picture settings and I'm curious what final settings you guys have for contrast, brightness, colour, etc.

I went with

Contrast: 45

Brightness: 60

Colour: 45

Sharpness: 30

Temperature: Normal

That's for regular analogue broadcasts from the inbuilt tuner and from video/xbox/composite inputs. With an SD set top box I raise the Sharpness and drop the Brightness about 5 (from the figures above). With a PC input to the VGA port I raise the Sharpness about 10 and set the Temperature to 'Cool'. The picture on these things is pretty good really, for a budget TV.

The internal tuner is absolute rubbish though. Our analogue reception is very good, but the tuner in this things shows a terrible picture, as if we were hundreds of kilometres from the transmitter. :blink:

do all the cables we need come with the tv or is there other cables we need to purchase in order to work?

This TV comes with no cables at all, apart from the power cable.

I know I have to buy the HDMI cable separately, but all the cables I have currently is an old atenna for which I was planning to replace with a new one. Will I able be able to connect an attena to the tv?

You can connect a regular RF cable to it and the TV does have an inbuilt analogue tuner (albeit a rather weak tuner). It does not come with any 'antennae' leads however. (no leads whatsoever)

Actually it has just about every input you could ever desire, plus two! The only thing it's missing is 'side' inputs, so if you have this thing mounted hard against a wall, you're gonna have a small problem.

It seems to auto-sense on a lot of inputs too. It automatically ran in native widescreen off my laptop as soon as I plugged it in. I must say I was pleasantly surprised about that. :blink:

What is the image processing like on this set, whats it look like real close up? Noise reduction, scaling, colours etc I am looking around for a reasonably cheap set for the bedroom, will be using it for xbox 360, HD stb and upscaling dvd player.

Not just limited to this set, but any of the relatively cheap 32' LCD's, so if anyone has any experience with this grade of tv's let me know.

BigW at Runaway Bay (Gold Coast) still has quite a few. or did on Wednesday at any rate :blink:

Thanks mate for the info....But, I ended up getting an LG 32LC2R from the Good Guys which I'm very happy with too. :D More than I wanted to pay.....would have loved to have been able to get one of these AIKO TV's(which from all accounts are performing great and I've still seen no reported duds from users on here) but it wasn't to be unless I went way out of my way to get it. But knock on wood, the LG is fault free and looking great too, so I can't complain. One added benefit is it has 2 component in(rather than 1) connections alongside the HDMI input, which suits my needs better. But that price on the AIKO's was just sooo nice hehe.

Edit: By the way, I used to venture into Runaway Bay BigW a lot when we lived on the coast. Didn't live that far away from it. Great area. :P

Edited by Adroen

Decided on the basis of the ads for the Tevion that I'd look at the current range of sub-$1000 32" LCDs.

I felt that it was unlikely I would get a look at a Tevion running, so I looked at the Aiko and the Soniq.

At BigW (Warrawong), they were feeding RF into the Aiko, but the picture still looked pretty good, and the connectivity was a reasonable match for what I needed.

Then I went to JBHiFi to look at the Soniq. JB had it looking terrible - excessively bright. And I couldn't find anything about what it had as inputs.

So I took the plunge and yesterday bought the Aiko.

First off, my Topfield SD PVR connected via Scart (RGB) gave me an instantly good picture - albeit a bit too bright for my liking. Used MILD with a 5 point drop in Contrast as my USER setting.

Connected DVD by S-video - pretty good. Wanted to connect via component - progressive - but couldn't get a good picture. Either the wrong colours or washed out. (Any advice? - am using audio cables - do I really need specific cables?)

Borrowed a HD box (Thomson) and fed it in the D-sub socket but selected RGB DTV on the Source menu (yes, that's why it doesn't have a dedicated socket). Lovely 720p output (currently watching Cold Case).

Can also downscale 1080i but the Thomson box can be set to always output 720p.

So, after one day, I'm sold on the Aiko. Can't see any dead (off or on) pixels. Never going to use the built-in tuner so couldn't care about it. PIP is good. My only problem is the component - even tried connecting other DVD players with same/similar colour problems.

Connected DVD by S-video - pretty good. Wanted to connect via component - progressive - but couldn't get a good picture. Either the wrong colours or washed out. (Any advice? - am using audio cables - do I really need specific cables?)

You most certainly do. Audio cables are only 50ohm, while video cables are 75ohm (composite or component)...

i'm using component for xbox360 and also SD STB and picture is perfect, using "real" component cables.

after using tv for couple of weeks now i still can't believe how good it is for this price, can't find any faults no matter what

in short great unit

btw, i switched xbox360 output to 1080p to see what happens and still got picture and tv recognized mode showing 1920x1080@60

anyone got idea what's the go with this? is it safe to run like this? would it look better or worst than 720p?

does not like 1920x1080p@50 showing "out of range" which is strange since 1920x1080@60 is higher than @50

someone enlight me on this please

Has anyone compared the 81cm Aiko with the DSE 81cm, that is currently going for the same price. I have even seen Dick Smith Powerhouse offering the 81cm for $899.

I like that you have the option of extending the warranty with the Dick Smith products to three years for a further $79 (Big W only appear to offer a 12 month warranty).

I am interested to know whether anyone has compared picture quality between the Aiko and DSE as on paper they look near identical in features etc.

Edited by chooka

Has anyone compared the 81cm Aiko with the DSE 81cm, that is currently going for the same price. I have even seen Dick Smith Powerhouse offering the 81cm for $899.

I like that you have the option of extending the warranty with the Dick Smith products to three years for a further $79 (Big W only appear to offer a 12 month warranty).

I am interested to know whether anyone has compared picture quality between the Aiko and DSE as on paper they look near identical in features etc.

dse is the ultimate rubish lcd tv

picture quality is not even close to this aiko and motion blur on dse panel is just plain shocking