Sign in to follow this  
dockersfan

Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

Hey... on the front cover of the latest BigW catalogue they have on sale an Aiko 81cm LCD TV for 'special purchase' price of $998!

Listed;

* Quality LG-Philips widescreen panel

* Resolution: 1366 x 768 pixels

* Brightness: 500cd/m3

* Contrast: 1600:1 (dynamic)

* Response Time: 8ms (G/G)

* Viewing Angle: 178

* HDMI with HDCP support

* PC multi-media input

LTW-32D

I wonder what the real (static) contrast ratio is ?

From the above article

Dynamic contrast ratio

It is also common to market only the dynamic contrast ratio capability of a display (when it is better than its static contrast ratio), which should not be directly compared to the static contrast ratio. A plasma display with a static 5000:1 contrast ratio will show superior contrast to an LCD display with 5000:1 dynamic and 1000:1 static contrast ratio when the input signal contains full range of brightnesses from 0 to 100% simultaneously. However they will be on par when input signal ranges only from 0 to 20% brightness.

When checking specs for LCD's that list a dynamic contrast ratio, they rarely list the static contrast ratio.

Hey... on the front cover of the latest BigW catalogue they have on sale an Aiko 81cm LCD TV for 'special purchase' price of $998!

LTW-32D

I saw that in the catalogue. Very cheap. Has anyone see if they are ok. Might make a good second tv

I've just come from my local BigW. I haven't got the catalogue, but I saw this thread and thought I'd have a look. They didn't have the 81cm model, but they did have a 68cm model for $898, and it looked pretty good to me, better than the other ~$1000 68cm LCD TVs I've been seeing lately. I might have bought it if it wasn't for this thread suggesting there might be a bigger model for only $100 more.

edit: I'm in Brisbane, the Big W's here might not have them?

Since I'm at work, I am able to access the BigW FLASH site :^( so here is the cover - small version -- if you squint you can just make it out :^)

19101-cover-for-email.jpg

the link to the newsletter; http://www.ecm7.com/cm/public/DisplayContent.aspx

Which Big W site are you getting that from? This is the only BigW catalog I catalogue I can find :S It ends today though, maybe you've found the new one?

I've just come from my local BigW. I haven't got the catalogue, but I saw this thread and thought I'd have a look. They didn't have the 81cm model, but they did have a 68cm model for $898, and it looked pretty good to me, better than the other ~$1000 68cm LCD TVs I've been seeing lately. I might have bought it if it wasn't for this thread suggesting there might be a bigger model for only $100 more.

edit: I'm in Brisbane, the Big W's here might not have them?

I'm in Brisbane (northside) and I've got the Big W catalogue "Big Buys" right here in front of me with the $998 Aiko 81cm LCD TV on the Front Page. The Westfield Chermside Big W is meant to be opening today, so they might have stock of it...

Brazzwald

Listed;

* Quality LG-Philips widescreen panel

* Resolution: 1366 x 768 pixels

* Brightness: 500cd/m3

* Response Time: 8ms (G/G)

* Viewing Angle: 178

* HDMI with HDCP support

* PC multi-media input

LTW-32D

I have Been to BigDUB yesterday, then straight to JB Hifi to try and compare(they hve 10models in 32")

The picture in the AIKO after I reduced the colour and contrast looked really good

I want to go back and test the motion and the pixelation 'look and feel'

It has a VGA(PC) input and a HDMI as well as composite

I plan to take my laptop with a couple of DVDs today and connect and play via the TVout(AV) and VGA

Have looked for AIKO (made in korea) on the net - cant find it anywhere so far..

I plan to connect the panel 'that we do buy' to a Media centre

I have Been to BigDUB yesterday, then straight to JB Hifi to try and compare(they hve 10models in 32")

The picture in the AIKO after I reduced the colour and contrast looked really good

I want to go back and test the motion and the pixelation 'look and feel'

It has a VGA(PC) input and a HDMI as well as composite

I plan to take my laptop with a couple of DVDs today and connect and play via the TVout(AV) and VGA

Have looked for AIKO (made in korea) on the net - cant find it anywhere so far..

I plan to connect the panel 'that we do buy' to a Media centre

Yeah keep us posted on how you go :blink:

Try this AIKO Website however it doesn't tell you anything. Aiko seems to be an old Japanese company, although the product is made in Korea.

I had a look at it today and bought one on the spot. The picture was just as good as the AWA next to it, but at 2/3 the price. They had some kids cartoon DVD playing and it looked OK, there was no obvious gross picture problems that I could see. There was some pixelation, which is to be expected when scaling 720x576 to 1366x768. Higher priced TVs may do a better job of smoothing. However it should be good with a HD STB or a media centre PC.

As long as there are no bright pixels on my unit I will be happy.

Hi guys - I saw this yesterday too. And like others have said, I can't find any solid Aiko TV details on the web (and here I thought GOOGLE had the answer to everything).

I thought it was definately worth a check for under a grand, well the TV looks pretty good in person - the set I watched was plugged into a cheap DVD player, running over the composite standard cables to the TV (the crappiest connection) and was playing 'Over The Hedge'... the picture looked pretty good, and from my quick examination of the set, it had no 'stuck on' dead pixels, but it was hard to tell if it had any 'stuck off' pixels with the scenes in the DVD I was viewing (dark scenes) - again it could all be to do with luck!

The set says it's made in Korea, if this is even true - is anyones guess. Maybe the plastic housing is made in Korea yet the other components are made in China... Anyway it looks really decent for the price.

The stated 178degree viewing angle doesn't seem to be what it's cracked up to be. I noticed when viewing off axis even up to approx 45 degree (90 degree span) that the picture starts to look different, and starts changing colour slightly... definately not as bad as my old AWA 81cm LCD I bought from Big W nearly a year ago... but when I think 178 viewing angle, I expect to see the picture in the same colours/shade/brightness as I do when viewing it from directly in front.

They obviously use the term 'viewing angle' loosley on LCD TV's - all it means from my experience is that the picture on the TV can still be 'viewed' up to those extreme angles... there is no promise of picture integrity once you are off axis.

The response time of 8ms GTG could be pretty optimistic too, when watching high motion/contrast scenes from the DVD (albiet remember its not running via Component/Progressive) the picture did blur on some character edges, it wasn't that annoying - but if you look for it - it was there. The picture response is probably a little better than my old 81cm LCD, to my eyes anyhow.

The quoted 1200:1 dynamic contrast seems to be pretty good, the dark scenes seem to retain a fair amount of detail, which I would highly doubt my 600:1 contrast TV would be able to show.. these are all my observations for the short time I looked at the set... as for the how BLACK is the BLACK?... I don't know - in BigW they have bright fluro lights and it's always hard to tell...

Anyhow I thought for the price it's worth a shot, so I whipped out the credit card and bought one... I'm going to pick it up after work and play with it tonight.. first thing will be hooking my Xbox 360 up to it via VGA-DSUB... and I'm hoping it allows the native panel resolution of 1368x768 just like my old AWA LCD does...

If anyone wants I might take photos and do a short review of my experience with it and in relation to Xbox 360, will be my main focus...

I just hope it meets and exceeds my expectations... :blink:

I had a look at it today and bought one on the spot. The picture was just as good as the AWA next to it, but at 2/3 the price. They had some kids cartoon DVD playing and it looked OK, there was no obvious gross picture problems that I could see. There was some pixelation, which is to be expected when scaling 720x576 to 1366x768.

Hiya JohnS119,

Would love to hear what resolutions it supports when you've had a chance to check it out further please. Looks like a great deal to me too. Really want to know if it will handle 480p at either 50/60Hz, and also 720p at 60hz.

Thanks

Can this LCD be hooked up to the PC via DVI?

You can do it either by

purchase a DVI -> HDMI cbale Jaycar CAT. NO. WQ7406 RRP $39.95

High Quality HDMI, Digital Video Cable - HDMI to DVI Cable 3.0m

or

get a DVI -> VGA(PC dsub) adapter

If anyone wants I might take photos and do a short review of my experience with it and in relation to Xbox 360, will be my main focus...

Hiya MeeSer,

Would love to hear a bit more about it, as I commented in the previous reply to JohnS119....and knowing how it runs with the 360 is definately of interest to me. :blink: MIght end up hooking it up via VGA to the 360 so I can use the component with the Wii if possible too. Am still in decision mode on what monitor to buy. Was almost heading towards either an LG or Samsung slim widescreen model, but have been hearing some problems with those on these boards. A cheap LCD might just be what i'm after right now.

I just hope it meets and exceeds my expectations... :blink:

Yeah mate that'll be good. Looking forward to it :D

Btw, did the plastic casing look cheap or somewhat decent? Because in the BigW catalogue, the greyish colour makes it look quite bad.

Yeah mate that'll be good. Looking forward to it :blink:

Btw, did the plastic casing look cheap or somewhat decent? Because in the BigW catalogue, the greyish colour makes it look quite bad.

The case looks about as bad as the come unfortunately - But I Wont be watching that!!

Very very non descript Matte Black/Grey

Bought one of these today, just hooked it up to my computer to use my hdtv tuner card (via composite cables). It's going quite nicely :blink:

The picture is great, and considering the price, I'm very happy with it.

One flaw if that's what you want to call it (at least on mine) is that the backlight seems to 'bleed through' in the right hand side corners and a little bit at the bottom to the left of center. It's only really noticeable on dark scenes, and it doesn't bother me too much.

i wonder if this is another rebadged and slightly altered version of that tv from over seas http://www.ktvcorp.com/jpn/busi/content.asp?goods_num=364

anyone know what the exact rear inputs and any side inputs the Aiko 81cm has ?

whats it like with fast moving pictures eg football, action movies, video games

Yes, that TV looks very similar to the aiko. The only external difference i can see is the aiko is all black, not grey/black like that one.

It has no side inputs, the inputs listed are all at the back. I can't comment on what its like for fast moving pictures, I haven't played around with it enough yet.

i wonder if this is another rebadged and slightly altered version of that tv from over seas http://www.ktvcorp.com/jpn/busi/content.asp?goods_num=364

anyone know what the exact rear inputs and any side inputs the Aiko 81cm has ?

whats it like with fast moving pictures eg football, action movies, video games

Yes - Good Find - Thanks for the site

It looks Exactly like the one from KTV ((except all black (pity) now where's my spray kit?)

The Connections mentioned on the KTV Spec matchup with what I saw at bigW -no side inputs

Edited by froggy_nz

so the one at Kmart had scart aswell like that KTV ?

does the tv have picture in picture?

Btw, how long is the warranty? Thanks :D

warranty is 1 year. I noticed there were picture in picture items one of the menus, I'll check tomorrow. Now, it's time for bed :blink: Stupid uni assignments.