Sign in to follow this  
BlueJ

Sony Bravia 3lcd Rear Projectors - Any Good?

Hey guys

What is the ideal viewing distance - is 2m to close?

With just using the inbuilt tuner, what is SD viewing like (I am in direct sight to the towers on Mt Cootha (Brisbane)).

We sit about 2m away and it looks awesome, no probs at all.

The inbuilt tuner is only analogue so if you want SD you will have to get a cheap STB.

With just using the inbuilt tuner, what is SD viewing like (I am in direct sight to the towers on Mt Cootha (Brisbane)).

The inbuilt tuner is analogue. So use a set top box! SD ones are cheap these days.

Also, anyone with a 360 care to share their experience

I hired out an xbox360 a few weeks ago, 720p via component looked great. No lag or blurring, although there is a 'game mode' option on the TV...I cant tell what the hell it does.

Target are currently selling the 42" 3LCD for "our price" $1999. Quite ridiculous considering RRP is $1999.

They had it on sale for ~$1600 a while ago. I was going to get mine from there until VideoPro offered to match the price :blink:

Any comments on sports viewing following first week of AFL?

I saw some of the AFL on CH 10 last Sunday and it looked good, but then today I saw the A-League final being shown (assuming it was through a DVD) and the players had that fury edge to them (not sure on the correct terminology).

Any comments would be helpful as I intend to watch a fair bit of sport.

Have had prices of $2000 for the 50" with standard warranty of 1 year and $2239 with extended warranty, with room to reduce further when ready to purchase.

I'd recommend taking an AFL recording on DVD that you're familiar with to the store to do some testing. Generally, LCD isn't the best choice for die-hard sport fans...Plasma or SXRD usually do a better job but the Sony 3LCDs aren't too bad from what I've seen.

I still have captures from TEN's test HD afl broadcast last year. I ran them through my PC (1:1 pixel mapping with VGA input) and it looked great. I'm no hardcore videophile though :blink: Is there's anything specific I should be looking for?

Have to admit I was pretty disappointed with the output of my new 50" 3LCD for last Friday's football. Am trying to work out what I can do to try and improve the picture quality. I have those blurred edges and noise across moving objects when there are a lot of players on the screen (players running through the banner was a terrible mess). I noticed the picture was significantly better through the Sony HDSTB than through the Pana Ex75. So far have tried;

- HDMI vs component

- noise reduction via the tv

- noise reduction via the Pana Ex75.

HDMI seems to have less noise and I get some relief with the Sony NR on its highest setting. The Pana NR seems to make a mess of things. I tried playing with the iris as one site I read said that could be adjusted for sport, though I have no idea how that was supposed to work. I saw no improvement.

Is it just a matter of a crappy Fox broadcast of the Adelaide/Port game or are there some other settings I should try and play with?

Movies so far look fantastic as do hi def tv programs. Pity all football isn't in hi def as I suspect I might not have a problem if that were the case. A couple of things I've read have said the Bravia engine in these is the most up to date and the same as used in the X-series LCDs. As such, I wouldn't have thought it was just the fact I bought a cheap arse tv. But I could be wrong :blink:

Well obviously if the source image isn't in hi definition it will look crap. To get the best out of this tv you really need 720p or higher source resolution. (FOX SUCKS)

Have to admit I was pretty disappointed with the output of my new 50" 3LCD for last Friday's football. Am trying to work out what I can do to try and improve the picture quality. I have those blurred edges and noise across moving objects when there are a lot of players on the screen (players running through the banner was a terrible mess). I noticed the picture was significantly better through the Sony HDSTB than through the Pana Ex75. So far have tried;

- HDMI vs component

- noise reduction via the tv

- noise reduction via the Pana Ex75.

HDMI seems to have less noise and I get some relief with the Sony NR on its highest setting. The Pana NR seems to make a mess of things. I tried playing with the iris as one site I read said that could be adjusted for sport, though I have no idea how that was supposed to work. I saw no improvement.

Is it just a matter of a crappy Fox broadcast of the Adelaide/Port game or are there some other settings I should try and play with?

Movies so far look fantastic as do hi def tv programs. Pity all football isn't in hi def as I suspect I might not have a problem if that were the case. A couple of things I've read have said the Bravia engine in these is the most up to date and the same as used in the X-series LCDs. As such, I wouldn't have thought it was just the fact I bought a cheap arse tv. But I could be wrong :blink:

Its most likely the cheap arsed broadcast from Fox, I 've watched NRL matches on a HD TV and some were good while others were not so good, i.e. regional broadcasts like Woollongong etc. Its all down to the broadcast bandwidth and bitrate, and some HD broadcasts or SD upscaled broadcasts look good on close ups and low motion, but the long distance stuff and some fast motion have artifacts. I think its a fact of life until the broadcasts get better bitrates. :blink:

Have taken the plunge and purchased.

Got 50" + 5 yr warranty + strong 5400 stb + delivery for $2469 from Retravision Preston, Vic

Should be here next week :blink:

i'm having HDMI problems with my 42". with my ps3 plugged in, it creates a popping noise, and i get some static distortion that blinks in and out. it's fine on component, but i'm afraid this may be a problem with HDMI on the tv set itself, but i don't have any other HDMI device to test it out with. is anyone else experiencing problems like this?

I have experienced the "haloing" and "mosquito noise" as well as pixelation and background noise with sports over component from my HD STB, but no such problems over HDMI frmo the same STB except for where the broadcast source was a scaled SD source (which happens a lot with live sports). Cricket and racing look fabulous. Can't speak as to Foxtel, I'm afraid.

I find this TV is better for DVD and games than sports, but much better than an LCD panel for sports, as panels just don't seem to be able to keep up with the fast motion. The R-Series SXRD rearpro TVs do an outstanding job with live sports, though cost about 4 times what the 42" E-Series cost me. Couldn't quite justify that, sadly.

Short and the tall of it is this is essentially a budget HD television and won't be perfect for every source, particularly fast-moving SD.

Fishcake - as for popping and clicking with HDMI, it sounds like the cable is not connected properly or there may be something wrong with the cable interface or the connection on your TV. I haven't had any such problems with the HDMI input on my 42" E-Series, or the HDMI inputs / outputs on any of my devices when connected to the 42".

What brand HDMI cable are you using and is it double shielded? I find the cheaper Avico HDMI cables just aren't up to scratch, and you're well-served by outlaying for a shielded cable. I like the Kordz cables, though they can be a little stiff. Does the PS3 come with its own HDMI cable?

Another question - are you trying to feed HDMI audio directly to your 42" E-Series? If so, this may also be causing a problem as the HDMI jack in the back of the 42" is not designed to take high definition HDMI audio (or any HDMI audio, if I remember correctly). Maybe try switching the audio over HDMI to "off" and putting the sound out over the optical feed to your AVR at "source direct" (though you'll get downscaled audio that way).

If you fix that HDMI problem, please let us know how the 42" looks with Blu-Ray and scaled SD DVD processed by the PS3 Cell chip over HDMI. I'm curious to know if it's worth the upgrade.

Fishcake - as for popping and clicking with HDMI, it sounds like the cable is not connected properly or there may be something wrong with the cable interface or the connection on your TV. I haven't had any such problems with the HDMI input on my 42" E-Series, or the HDMI inputs / outputs on any of my devices when connected to the 42".

i borrowed another hdmi cable from my neighbor to see if that waas causing the problem, and you were spot on! once i used the new set of cables (purchased from jaycar), all noise and popping disappeared.

What brand HDMI cable are you using and is it double shielded? I find the cheaper Avico HDMI cables just aren't up to scratch, and you're well-served by outlaying for a shielded cable. I like the Kordz cables, though they can be a little stiff. Does the PS3 come with its own HDMI cable?

i do not know the brand of hdmi cable that had the noise and the popping, but i purchased it from Selby Acoustics on eBay. the ps3 does not come with an hdmi cable. out of the box, it only comes with a composite cable. composite/svideo/component cables for the ps1, ps2 and ps3 are the same so if you decide to use one of those inputs and have the cable from an older console, you may do so. i'm pretty sure the ps3 will only come with the composite cable as well when it launches in europe/australia.

Another question - are you trying to feed HDMI audio directly to your 42" E-Series? If so, this may also be causing a problem as the HDMI jack in the back of the 42" is not designed to take high definition HDMI audio (or any HDMI audio, if I remember correctly). Maybe try switching the audio over HDMI to "off" and putting the sound out over the optical feed to your AVR at "source direct" (though you'll get downscaled audio that way).

audio comes out of the tv's speakers just fine via hdmi

If you fix that HDMI problem, please let us know how the 42" looks with Blu-Ray and scaled SD DVD processed by the PS3 Cell chip over HDMI. I'm curious to know if it's worth the upgrade.

i had returned my neighbor's hdmi cable before i had the chance to test out SD DVD, but i have heard that you are still better off using a stand-alone dvd player for your DVD playing needs. i do not own a BD movie as of yet, so i cannot test that either. all i can say is that, component or hdmi, the ps3 games look great on this set (as long as you have decent cables)!!!

Edited by fishcake

i'm having HDMI problems with my 42". with my ps3 plugged in, it creates a popping noise, and i get some static distortion that blinks in and out. it's fine on component, but i'm afraid this may be a problem with HDMI on the tv set itself, but i don't have any other HDMI device to test it out with. is anyone else experiencing problems like this?

Edit Removed

Much happier having watched the AFL on channel 7 last night. The quality compared to channel 10's rebroadcast of Fox last week was like chalk and cheese. Lot of noise apparent last week and far less last night.

I ran through DVE on Thursday night as well and that may have helped. Certainly saw me turn the sharpness right down and that seemed to be adding a bit of noise on its own. I am curious to know whether anybody else who has tried DVE on this tv has managed to see bloom on the test pattern used for adjusting contrast. Even at the highest contrast I couldn't perceive any bloom so I just adjusted it until it looked good to me which sees the 'picture' (contrast equivalent) set to 50.

Blooming only occurs on CRT TV’s.

On digital displays you are looking for white clipping.

these have just had a price drop from Sony...

very tempted on the 50"...

around 1500 for a decent large screen...hard to pass up

these have just had a price drop from Sony...

very tempted on the 50"...

around 1500 for a decent large screen...hard to pass up

Yes it is, can’t understand why more people don’t get on board.

They would rather spend the same cash on some piss ant little LCD panel. :blink:

My misus and I are were considering one of these 42" 3 lcd's and were tempted at the original price of $1999.00 (could be had for around $1700.00) but with the new price drop we are now re-entertaining the idea of one very seriously - funds permitting.

PC support is a consideration for us, so can any of you guys provide any input on what resolutions you are using via vga or dvi to hdmi with pc on these sets. Our primary source pc is using an ATI video card (although this could be replaced by Nvidia if really needed).

I believe these sets only support 1024x768 via vga / dsub, it seems stupid to me that Sony wouldn't offer a 1280x720 resolution option as it is one of the more common widescreen pc display formats (along with 1280x768, 1360x768, 1440x900... etc...) and the native resolution of the display panels in these sets.

As long as your video card has DVI, you can just use a DVI -> HDMI cable and get nice 1:1 pixel mapping with perfect digital quality. Forget the VGA connector.

As long as your video card has DVI, you can just use a DVI -> HDMI cable and get nice 1:1 pixel mapping with perfect digital quality. Forget the VGA connector.

I suspected as much, dvi / dvi-hdmi inputs seem to allow much more 'tweaking' with regards to input resolutions. Now a follow up question, do you need to use something like powerstrip to make these custom resolutions and if so, what programs are people using?

Hopefully you won't need Powerstrip. Both nVidia and ATI support custom resolutions in the drivers these days. From memory though, I had to use a registry tweak to enable 50Hz back when I had my ATI card.

How big was the price drop? I see some online retailers now have the 42" model for as cheap at $1150!

G'day.

I got my 50" 3LCD delivered this morning.

On an old TEAC SD set-top-box with composite out, picture was average with geometry issues (scrolling text seems to be wide at edge of screen and narrows towards the middle, and pans seem to go from wide-angle to zoom). I haven't tried the inbuilt SD analog tuner yet. Hopefully later today I can try out my SD Toppy via component.

Edit: as an example, I was using "Barnyard" for an animation test, and a pan from right to left included a barn door. In the middle of the screen the door was square, as it moved leftwards it became rectangular. Similarly for "Fellowship Of The Ring" where there is a pan of Mt Doom in the beginning. And scrolling text moves faster at the edges than in the middle. I guess it is kinda like a fish-eye lens effect.

Using my old Pioneer 676A DVD player, set up with progressive output, image quality was much better. Colours not quite as vivid (or as oversaturated) as some plasmas of my ken. Blacks are okay, not as good as my 80cm CRT but better than other LCDs I have looked at recently.

Although at 2.5 metres I can still see pixel outlines on animations. Not really screen door effect, but maybe a consequence of the 720 line resolution? Curves are pixellated rather than smooth. Makes me wonder if I should have opted for the 42" model instead, as I can see that this will annoy me.

Edit: as an example, the title for "Fellowship Of The Ring" at the start of chapter 2 in the normal DVD edition. The curve of the characters are not smooth curves, but are jagged.

But, apart from the minor pixellation, image quality seems better than most LCD or plasma that I have seen for anywhere near the price. Hopefully some calibration will fix these issues, and when I get my HTPC hooked up with DVI-to-HDMI than maybe the picture quality will again improve.

--Geoff