Sony Bravia 3lcd Rear Projectors - Any Good?

The WEGA A10 and the Current Bravia seem very similar, and the older A10 was well regarded, and I doubt there is much, if any significant difference in picture quality.

However, the even older WEGA (pre A10) was a different animal, and did not have an iris to improve contrast ratio and blacks, so stay away form that old unit.

The old WEGA also did don’t have HDMI from memory.

Thanks so much for that - do you think $1399 is a good price for the KFE42A10- or should I be trying for better???

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny, because $2260 was what Bing Lee quoted me...was that where you got that quote from?

I took that $2260 quote to Harvey Norman and was offered $2150 with 5 years warranty (which is what I eventually got it for).

I wouldn't goto Domayne, as (from my experience) they will not give you a good price at all...but it's worth a try...thing is they'll probably only offer to match that $2260 price, and not beat it.

Yeah you're right, it was a Bing Lee. Then went to a Domayne ($2400), and finally another Bing Lee ($2360 if I picked up).

I haven't gotten written quotes, just been getting verbal and a sales persons name. But it seems the paper trail is the way to go.

Did the deed on the 50" today - Clive Peeters - $2130 inc 5y warranty and delivery paid by cc. Then bought a stand for another $500. All gets delivered next week. I think they made a bit back on the stand but all up I'm happy and so is the wife.

Prior to that went to Retravision who wouldn't budge below $2429 with 5y warranty but no delivery. HN Auburn was a joke. They had a 50" Grand Wega on 'special' for $2998... And they didn't even know what the 50" 3LCD was! For that matter the sales dude was more interested in answering phones than looking for it. Very disappointed in what I thought was one of their flagship stores.

What else can you buy for $1400 mate?

Just letting you all know I bought the 42" Sony Grand Wega today from Harvey Norman Bundall for $1399 + $115 for an extended warranty (five years in total).

We are watching Star Wars now - and we can't notice any difference between the blacks on the Grand Wega as compared to the Bravia. The only real difference is a couple of menu options - the Bravia has two auto Iris settings.

The Grand Wega definitely has a HDMI input - we are looking at it right now - but the 42" Grand Wega does not have a memory card reader as some people have said - but I am thinking they were probably referring to the 50". We can also use the same PC settings on the Grand Wega as we could on the Bravia. Resolution: 1224 x 688 to get the pixels to fit the screen - native res without any overscan.

All in all - we are pretty pleased with our bargain priced TV - as Owen said - "What else can you buy for $1400?" I agree - you certainly wouldn't expect to buy a 106cm Sony for $1399!!!

Did the deed on the 50" today - Clive Peeters - $2130 inc 5y warranty and delivery paid by cc. Then bought a stand for another $500. All gets delivered next week. I think they made a bit back on the stand but all up I'm happy and so is the wife.

Prior to that went to Retravision who wouldn't budge below $2429 with 5y warranty but no delivery. HN Auburn was a joke. They had a 50" Grand Wega on 'special' for $2998... And they didn't even know what the 50" 3LCD was! For that matter the sales dude was more interested in answering phones than looking for it. Very disappointed in what I thought was one of their flagship stores.

I went to Sony Central in Melbourne today and they had the 55" for $2749-$150 = $2600! I'm sure you could get 10% for cash that's @$2400 - unbelievable for that size.

It was playing the HD (I assume) loop of Whistler ski resort in summer - it looked fantastic. I was looking at the 40"LCDs around it and the picture was comparable, but at twice the price!

40" just looks too small - I think 50" has to be the go - if I can haggle down to @$2,000 I'm in!

I went to Sony Central in Melbourne today and they had the 55" for $2749-$150 = $2600! I'm sure you could get 10% for cash that's @$2400 - unbelievable for that size.

It was playing the HD (I assume) loop of Whistler ski resort in summer - it looked fantastic. I was looking at the 40"LCDs around it and the picture was comparable, but at twice the price!

40" just looks too small - I think 50" has to be the go - if I can haggle down to @$2,000 I'm in!

That channel 7 loop looks good at 720p,but the ch.10 demo. at 1080 is even better-its like looking through a window-the colours are so lifelike,even if the film itself is incredibly boring.

SonyCentral should oblige with the price-or buy here http://www.hboutlet.com.au/catalog/product...ducts_id=121225.

Clive Peeters seem to be pretty aggresive to give a good price also.

Onya!-not sure why you went to all the rounds,when CP was the preferred store in any case :blink:

wow this thread has really taken off in the time since I got caught up in watching my TV.

I have had it just on 2 months now. I really enjoy it. I have to catch myself somethimes because I complain about the content on FTA and I have put someone off buying a BScrTV. The reality is the quality is excellent if the content is right. So DVD's are excellent. FTA is also good but I watch mostly non commmercial so the source varies in type and quality a lot....

having said that I am sure the commercial networks are only good quality in the evening. I have caught NCIS, House, and all those other "crime investigation" shows in passing and the quality really is very good. They are not my thing so I leave them...in fact commercials are not my thing

The recent Europe before mankind totalled it doco on ABC was excellent...

the one thing I have noticed the TV is incapable of dealing with is water or clear surfaces like glass. If there is no colour to the water there is very bad pixellation in quite large blocks. so a scene of a brook with clear water flowing becomes very pixelated but I still think this is down to quality of the source somewhat.

Thank you ABC for broadcasting so much high quality material, especially JTV on ABC2. The XL program with the live sets is amazing.

After 2 months I am very happy. The TV is absolutely a bargain at the prices people are getting. Gaming is also very good as is animated programs like the new captain scarlett or the plethora of "hollywood" animation. There is a new dragon fighter epic moving coming which I think will look sensational on this tv.

Gaming is a bit of a let down as many games are not 16:9 although some can be configured/hacked with varying degrees of sucess. Half life is ok and Call of Duty is also. Many others can be found with a google on games 16:9.

My family will arrive at xmas and I am looking forward to impressing someone who just blew a 10K wad on a plasma which quite frankly is isnt up to it.

I would recommend this tv to anyone. If you have the budget and being "different" from most other people doesn't bother you or is a badge you wear with pride then this is a winner.

have fun, enjoy and don't wipe that grin off your face, you do know better.

treb

wow this thread has really taken off in the time since I got caught up in watching my TV.

have fun, enjoy and don't wipe that grin off your face, you do know better.

treb

Mate I have a grin from ear to ear just walking past it and looking at it sitting there.

Can't wait to get it up and running.

Mines working like a charm also-the only problem is finding something worthwhile to watch :blink:

bestest miki

Mate we have over 500 DVD's and once this baby is back up and running I am going to watch em all. :D

I had a look at the 42" & 50" version of these sets the other day at a Good Guys store. I thought they were very impressive (especially considering the price) which although was marked at $1999.00 for the 42" with a Sony universal remote. I know this is the standard retail price so better could be done easily. The only worries I have about these is the cost of replacement globes, and how they handle standard def dtv, I got a stb about 6 months and the financial minister might not take too kindly to another hd stb purchase so soon. I am aware that sd dtv is not the best quality (although some programs look decidely better than others - I guess that as with any of these 'hd' sets they are only showing up the lower quality programs for what they really are).

Some of my intial thoughts on the 42" version (I spent more time looking at this as it may be an easier sell to the misus, and our viewing distance since she re-arranged the living room is going to be 2 metres max)...

The horrizontal viewing angle was more than enough - for any reasonalbe viewing off centre.

The vertical viewing angle did (as others have mentioned) drop off more noticeably if you were above the centre of the screen / tv, but this is an easy fix by just placing the tv on a suitable height stand.

Plenty of inputs, and I stuck my head as close to the lamp replacement door, and the rear of the set as I could, and I could barely hear any hum or sound from the cooling system.

I think these have the edge over any cheaper lcd by a considerable margin, you just have to get past the 'it's not a flat panel I can hang on my wall' train of thought. This is one of the reasons I am still umming & arring over a new set because once we finish our little renovations we will probably keep the lounge room the same as it is the most practical set-up for the odd (read old 50's - 60's style) room layout - I'm not keen on a major renovation - yet. A flat panel mounded on a wall or on a shelf fixed to the wall would give us a little more space in the current layout. Hmmm! decisions, decisions.

I do have to say that for the price these do seem like a very good buy.

Sony Central in Adelaide has advertised the 50" bravia for $2499 with bonus stb valued at $699.Also in the advert is "we mirror match any price".Advertiser page 5.

Makes me wonder what some of you bargain hunters could get this unit for. :blink:

Steve.

nickc, I bought one of the 55" units for $2400 flat (including delivery and nothing else), so Sony Central will be able to definitely match that.

We got ours yesterday and it looks pretty good! Quite nice -- a bit of SSE is probably about the worst thing, I'd say, and it's not noticeable all the time.

Still looking for a decent stand though, anyone got a suggestion at around $500-700? Looking for a sleek, low, wide unit (wood) that we can hide everything behind but still use (so maybe some glass in front?). We've currently got it on top of two old wooden cabinets we had in the shed.

nice one dogsrus, now I have seen some of the street prices with 5 year warranty I am impressed. I bought mine without a warranty tho there is a sony offer which is good for another 2 weeks. I wondered if anyone knew the name of a company used by the chains the provide the warranty? I'd like to see if I can get cover elsewhere.

I found some hi def content on the microsoft web site. I have downloaded a few and it looks impressive so if you are interested its worth a look. They are pretty big and in media player format so you need to be able to play that to the tv.

some nice dog fight training action, rapids, open wheelers, deep oceans, animations. It would make an excellent source for showing your tv off or in store demo maybe... I think you can order a dvd and even use it for display or something

And there is 1080 content there as well.

treb

Hey all,

Long time reader first time poster :blink:

I've been looking at a number of different display types over the last month and am trying to work out what would suit me best. The new 3LCD displays seem great value for money so I am wondering what the trade off is in terms of features or PQ. Having had a look at a couple of them I am struggling to see the deficiencies. Mind you, I have generally been looking at excellent source material. I noticed on an SD feed today that when the screen was predominantly white it looked as though a fine stocking had been pulled over teh screen. I assume that is SSE. I would have thought if it only really shows up on uniform, very pale backgrounds that it wouldn't be an issue for me.

Anybody suggest some material I should use to test the screen thay will let me see any limitations? The room I'm planning th put the screen in is quite long and narrow so viewing angle is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

David

Edited by ballboy

Good one.

Don't you just hate the wait. :blink:

Ah yes.... but it gets delivered Monday, and I have a day off work!! I also bought an LG 5403P HD PVR, it looks great on my HD CRT Rearpro Hitachi 47" TV, so can't wait ot see it through HDMI on the Sony... :D

All I have to do is explain to my wife why there is a different TV on the cabinet when she comes home! I will also use my MG 350HD for palying stuff off my PC, I think I have alraedy palyed WMV HD stuff from it to the Hitachi, looks really good, so obviously the source counts for a lot, even on the CRT HD rearpro.

any good blockbuster movie should do it so take one you enjoy watching. No doubt you will see detail you have never seen before. I have watched 5th Element twice this week and noticed new details both times. Lord of the rings will no doubt give you a good show.....movies like that.....quality production

i watched final fantasy VII today and again it was pretty good...

treb