Sony Bravia 3lcd Rear Projectors - Any Good?

OK now I am officially pissed off.

TV turned up no worries as promised and plugged it in and testsed it out and now worries.

Now I have no centre channel or surround channels on my AVR so my patience has now snapped.

We have never used the amp for surround until today so it could have been like this from the day we got it.

Surround back works Ok for 7.1.

I am almost over this whole setup. :blink:

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What STB are you using? People using DigiCrystal 9300 (like Me) have screwed sound on the HD channels. Even if using 7.1 reciever. How did the Audio through the TV go though?

Sorry for my bit of a rant but we are just so disheartened at the moment as I am sure our luck would rival the worst in the world.

Our subwoofer has to go back as it does not switch on sometimes, the damaged TV and now the amp, it's just not our time. :blink:

At least it is all under warranty.

Anyway back OT.

It is definitely the amp unfortunately, my son has the model under mine so he bought it over and everything works with his amp so you get that.

I promise once all the crap is sorted I will do a super review as I will be so happy I will cry. :D

Sound was OK through the TV although I would have to test it a bit more to make an informed decision as everything is cabled to go through the amp so it was easy for my wife to flick between inputs as she is not very technically minded.

PQ out of the box was excellent but I am sure with a bit of fine tuning it will be even better.

Viewing SD DVD from my Samsung HD-860 was brilliant.

Samsung is using component out with progressive scan turned on and the picture was crisp and clean and we breifly viewed a few scenes from selected movies and no signs of any problems (motion blur etc) but again I will post some more info once we have done a bit of fine tuning and performed a better test.

More to come.

Jeez, you've got me worried byte-me. I've ordered one yesterday and expect delivery mid next week. Got the 55" for $2400 including nothing at all except delivery. Tried to get the guy to chuck something else in but I'm no haggler.

Nothing to worry about mate.

Even though the TV had a problem the replacement came in 1 working day so no worries at all apart from you may have to wait a bit longer. :blink:

I am now waiting for my amp to get fixed and they reckon about 2 -3 weeks so I am back to playing the waiting game again as I cannot be bothered re cabling everything so we are watching our 51cm in the bedroom.

Note I am typing this with a little tear in my eye.

What is this the topic creator said about blue tints due to LCD ageing?

That worries me. Because I'm almost convinced that LCD is better than CRT. I don't wanna turn back now.

A particular model of LG LCD rear projector was infamous for developing colour problems due to LCD aging. In a rear projector set, the lamp throws quite a lot of heat, and so the three LCD panels operate at high temperatures - which can cause deterioration if the manufacturer takes shortcuts.

I am not aware of such problems affecting the Sony Grand Wega/Bravia 3LCD rear projectors. As you would be aware, Sony has a rather better reputation than most (unless you are buying a laptop battery of course!) and they have several years experience with 3LCD technology.

In any case, this issue only applies to 3LCD rear projectors, and doesn't apply to flat panel LCDs, if that is the kind of set that you are considering (it wasn't clear from your post).

Jeez, you've got me worried byte-me. I've ordered one yesterday and expect delivery mid next week. Got the 55" for $2400 including nothing at all except delivery. Tried to get the guy to chuck something else in but I'm no haggler.

Good one Walloper-just about spot on for price-more than 20% off RRP-just about as good as anyone has achieved-hows it performing?

What STB are you using? People using DigiCrystal 9300 (like Me) have screwed sound on the HD channels. Even if using 7.1 reciever. How did the Audio through the TV go though?

I thought you had bought a Hotchip-any case pointless worrying about Dolby Digital EX not coming through the STB,as this format is rare nowadays for films.

The only answer,as you said, would be to buy a decoder for true EX,as probably no STBs are encoded for EX,or any sound format other than Dolby Digital AC3.

But cant understand why you didnt get simulated surround sound,which is all you could expect.

.The Digicrystal's audio output is Dolby Digital (AC3)Surround Sound,the same as the Hotchip.

The only Harry Potter movies with DTS-ES and DD-Ex were the first two before they woke up to themselves.

The other Harry Potters have DTS/Dolby Digital SurroundSoundl/SDDS sound,as have most recent release films..

This DTS/Dolby Digital/SDDS format is becoming the standard.

Of course, Dolby causes no issues with the 3LCD,or HDSTBs.

"The bulk of major cinema release prints produced in Western countries now simultaneously carry SDDS, DTS, and Dolby Digital data (or "tracks") as well as the traditional two-channel optical sound track. The optical track is required on every print, both because not all cinemas are yet equipped for digital sound, and as a backup in case the digital information fails."(Wikipedia)

If you cant get normal audio on other films, Star Wars etc, somethings wrong with your gear.

Different surround formats

One is all I need.

At least until some sort of "multiple HDMI adapter" comes along. :blink:

All the 3LCDs have HDMI-if you need more-multiple connection HDMI boxes are available-JayCar etc.

There is absolutely no blue cast on the 3LCDs.

The picture is color neutral in that all colours are rendered as lifelike as Ive seen.

Not quite what you were referring to,but image(brightness) ageing in the 3LCDs is fixed by replacing the lamp about every three years(approx. $250).

A much better solution than when this problem occurs with normal LCDs(and plasmas) where you economically have to junk them when they go dim

Different technologies completely 3LCD

If your HDMI input requires HDCP I don't think this TV supports it -- at least not that I know about. Doesn't seem to be in the manual.

"This significant list of companies (approximately 368 at last update) represents all those willing to use HDCP in an effort to prevent content ripping and digital transferal of media other than for the exclusive private use of the end user, on a stand-alone dedicated, authenticated hardware platform"(Atomic)

The list Includes Sony,as having authenticated hardware platforms.

Usually-If there are HDMI or DVI inputs, HDCP is supported

The big controversy is about old HDTVs with only component connections that arent HDCP certified, so these may have a problem if they ever buy HD or Bluray players

LIST

Sony Press release This is the older 3LCD,HDCP ready

About my sound issue, it was the STB itself. Its faulty, me and a co-worker had the same problem, he has a EX compatible amp though, still had the same problem. So the STB was at fault, i took it back for a hotchip and found the image was unclear in 1080i, and jumped around on 720p. Took it back and now have a LG LST-6100P. Great menu, nice remote, very clear signal and nice sound. EX gets downsampled as well. Which works out great :blink:.

About my sound issue, it was the STB itself. Its faulty, me and a co-worker had the same problem, he has a EX compatible amp though, still had the same problem. So the STB was at fault, i took it back for a hotchip and found the image was unclear in 1080i, and jumped around on 720p. Took it back and now have a LG LST-6100P. Great menu, nice remote, very clear signal and nice sound. EX gets downsampled as well. Which works out great :D .

Yeah-I have a LG-they,re great :blink:

After reading this thread a number of times and looking at the 50" model I should be aiming for ~$2000 with extra warranty. Has anyone actually got this price?

Also has anyone sighted the stand that go with these units - thoughts?

After reading this thread a number of times and looking at the 50" model I should be aiming for ~$2000 with extra warranty. Has anyone actually got this price?

Also has anyone sighted the stand that go with these units - thoughts?

Yes that seems to be about the price you should be aiming at but your mileage may vary depending on the store you purchase from and your haggling abilities. :blink:

Just in case you have not seen the stand at all here it is.

SU-RG11M 50" Stand

I have not seen one for real so I cannot comment on construction or looks but in the picture it looks OK.

Hi all,

I forgot about this thread...and went and purchased one of these TVs...thing is , I have paid for it fully...but haven't received it yet...and I pretty much got ripped...what can I do?

(for those wondering I paid $2485 for the 50" plus 5 years warranty)

so I could save myself around $400 if I go somewhere else!

Can someone please reply asap! I'd like to know if I have the right to refund seeing I don't have the goods yet...thing is they had to order a 50" in for me...anyways please let me know!!

Thanks!

Hi all,

I forgot about this thread...and went and purchased one of these TVs...thing is , I have paid for it fully...but haven't received it yet...and I pretty much got ripped...what can I do?

Can someone please reply asap! I'd like to know if I have the right to refund seeing I don't have the goods yet...thing is they had to order a 50" in for me...anyways please let me know!!

Thanks!

Depends where you got it from, some places will give money back within 14 days return, so if the place you purchaes has similar policy, you have to go back and tell them you can get it cheaper from xxx place, and ask for them to match it. Does not hurt to try!!!!

Depends where you got it from, some places will give money back within 14 days return, so if the place you purchaes has similar policy, you have to go back and tell them you can get it cheaper from xxx place, and ask for them to match it. Does not hurt to try!!!!

Thanks so much for the reply! that was quick!

Do you or anybody else know what Domayne's policy is?

Noticed in the SXRD thread there was some imbroglio regarding black levels on a Samsung 3LCD. Not aware of the Samsung and its relevance to the Sony 3LCD. Can anyone enlighten?

I don't think Samsung have anything to do with 3lcd to be honest.

I know it is not exclusively Sony but I didn't think Samsung were a manufacturer of the 3lcd technology.

SXRD uses different technology again so some wires are crossed somewhere. :blink:

Hi all,

Thanks!

To be honest you didn't get ripped off you just paid more than someone else did, but as suggested see if they will price match based on their return policy and you may have some luck. :D

This was what prompted my earlier query... [both quotes are from the SXRD thread]

I think the Dr was talking about the 3LCD.

The SXRD does NOT have any issues with black crush.

It would be a good idea to keep posts about the 3LCD models in there own thread, as they are completely different technology and really have nothing in common with the SXRD.

Being fairly new to some of this terminology it seems that "black crush" is the loss of detail in dark scenes. I wasn't able to find any link between the current Sony 3LCD and "black crush". Where 3LCD and "black crush" did connect it seemed to be referring to the previous Grand Wega 3LCD models. One guy suggested Sin City as a good test of this effect. I might buy a copy of it and take it with me for testing at stores.

Has any of the pathfinders with the new 3LCD experienced "black crush"?

...I am coming from a 3 year old 60" Samsung 3LCD...

I think you're right byte-me as googling doesn't seem to find any connection between Samsung and 3LCD's.