Sony Bravia 3lcd Rear Projectors - Any Good?

Guest mmclpis2

G'day all. After 4 months of no problems with my 3LCD KF-50E200A, it decided to pack it in this morning.

Whilst watching the Grand Prix last night the TV just powered off and the stand-by indicator starting flashing 3 times before pausing and flashing 3 times again and again.

Powered up the TV again and it went OK for another 30 minutes before doing the same as above.

TV was OK for the rest of the night. In the morning the TV would not turn on and went back to the 3 blinks process. The operating instructions indicate that this occurs when the lamp is not secure or the lamp door is not shut properly.

I hadn't been anywhere near the door or bulb since purchasing the TV and it seemed a bit odd to haved happended whilst just sitting and watching TV.

I disconnected the TV power and checked the bulb and door to make sure they were secured. Powered up the TV and still got the 3 blinks.

Can anyone shed light on the problem? TIA

I have made contact with Sony and the local service agent. Now waiting to hear back.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mmclpis2
G'day all. After 4 months of no problems with my 3LCD KF-50E200A, it decided to pack it in this morning.

Whilst watching the Grand Prix last night the TV just powered off and the stand-by indicator starting flashing 3 times before pausing and flashing 3 times again and again.

Powered up the TV again and it went OK for another 30 minutes before doing the same as above.

TV was OK for the rest of the night. In the morning the TV would not turn on and went back to the 3 blinks process. The operating instructions indicate that this occurs when the lamp is not secure or the lamp door is not shut properly.

I hadn't been anywhere near the door or bulb since purchasing the TV and it seemed a bit odd to haved happended whilst just sitting and watching TV.

I disconnected the TV power and checked the bulb and door to make sure they were secured. Powered up the TV and still got the 3 blinks.

Can anyone shed light on the problem? TIA

I have made contact with Sony and the local service agent. Now waiting to hear back.

UPDATE 110707: Service agent phoned and advised that this is a known problem and they are receiving a part/software update this Friday. The person I spoke with was not a tech and could not tell me if it was an actual software update or component that needed replacing. Supposedly the fix is to assist the globe!. Will wait to the tech comes and ask them. Haven't found any such problem reported anywhere in Aus or overseas.

Good Afternoon,

I have had my Sony 3LCD (50'') for a fair few months now and am still very impressed with it. One little gripe though which it has done periodically since new is a small problem when switching signals.

My dvd, stb and foxtel is connected to my reciever via component and sent to the tv via component from the reciever. When switching the signal on the reciever, say from stb to austar the tv goes blank while the switch is in progress then displayes the new signal, however every now and then, say once a fortnight it will get "stuck" between the signal change and display just a blank screen, on lines running up and down.

Has anyone else expericenced this? it is easily solved by just switching the tv to standby than on again but im guessing its not a normal thing and maybe worth contacting sony about. Im pretty sure its not the amp as a) the sound switches fine and B) it is solved by switching the tv off and on, not the reciever off and on.

Any thoughts?

Mo_Jo

note: ive used this exact setup on my previous tv without this issue. Im also using decent Crest Platnum cables to connect everything up so i dont think its a cable issue either.

Guest mmclpis2

The TV is fixed and all it took was 5 minutes.

The problem was a space that occurred between the globe and the switch that detects if the globe is not properly secured (if the globe or globe door is not secured properly the standby indicator flashes red 3 times). The tech attached a plastic piece to the globe, so it extends the gap and the TV now detects that it is closed. He indicated that all new globes have the additional piece attached.

They don't why it happens and can only put it down to the heat of the lamp causing some contraction, but it has only occurred on about 5 tv's Australia wide.

I'm glad it's fix and that it was not a more serious component problem. Now back ot my TV.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys for the newby post but I just want to confirm what I'm about to connect, I have a kf-50e200, foxtel iq and a pana dmr-ex75

I will connect the foxtel to tv via scart to component

dmr-ex75 to tv via hdmi

I also have an older pioneer reciever which at the time of purchase wasn't a bad unit whats the best way to connect the audio from all the above to the reciever

I will purchase all cables from jaycar? good value?

thanks Brett

Edited by BU5TER

• 1 month later...

Has anyone noticed a discoloured yellow horizontal band on their Sony 3LCD?

My KF-55E200A - about 6 month old - has started to show an horizontal band a the top of the screen (~1cm top left corner, ~2cm top right corner), of a yellowish color. It appears on all inputs (component & hdmi): I think the light engine will need to be replaced (under warranty).

I have used DisplayConfigX on my MacBook to display red/green/blue screens via HDMI: the blue screen shows a darker band matching what appears as a yellow band watching FTA or a white screen.

• 4 months later...

Hi there..i am new here...i interested to get one Sony Bravia 50" LCD projection tv, since now u may all know the price really getting crazy than before, from RM5999 w HT (Aug 07 to RM4999 (Dec 07) and now RM3999 (till Feb 08).

I tot of getting LCD tv instead of projection tv. but find out my budget and cost to repair one lcd tv can reach RM 1500 and in view of my two sons wrestling around, the LCD tv might collapse like sooner or later...so to avoid any unexpected incidence since any tv manufacturer not cover damages due to accident (not sure), so i opt for projection tv then.

Question: for long term user, how is it? performance and etc.

My viewing distance from tv bout 2.0m is this ok for 50 inch tv or maybe less to bout 1.5m. Sony suggested viewing distance is 2.1m, is this ok?

• 11 months later...

The problem that I had 16 months ago (see my earlier post in September 2007 above) has come back; much worse this time with 10-15 horizontal blue/yellow/red haze at the top of the screen.

I got the optics assembly replaced under warranty last time, but the TV being is 22 months old and I don't have extended warranty.

What it the best way to get this problem fixed without being out of pocket, given that this appears to be a common fault?

I have read in this topic that AndrewGB was successful in taking Sony to small claims court in Victoria (VCAT).

Edited by Bibi

• 11 months later...
The problem that I had 16 months ago (see my earlier post in September 2007 above) has come back; much worse this time with 10-15 horizontal blue/yellow/red haze at the top of the screen.

I got the optics assembly replaced under warranty last time, but the TV being is 22 months old and I don't have extended warranty.

What it the best way to get this problem fixed without being out of pocket, given that this appears to be a common fault?

I have read in this topic that AndrewGB was successful in taking Sony to small claims court in Victoria (VCAT).

Hey Bibi, my KF-55E200A has developed the same problem (red/yellow banding at the top, about 15cm -- 5-7cm reddish and the rest yellow) (actually, it's been there quite a while but I've just ignored it til recently.

Did you have any luck getting it fixed?

Hey Bibi, my KF-55E200A has developed the same problem (red/yellow banding at the top, about 15cm -- 5-7cm reddish and the rest yellow) (actually, it's been there quite a while but I've just ignored it til recently.

Did you have any luck getting it fixed?

if you are after a 1:1 replacement, I may have one available in the coming months. never had a single problem with it. PM me if you are interested.

• 9 months later...

I have just replaced the lamp on my Sony KF-50E200A(rear pro) and about 1 week after Ive had a red line about 4cm thick appear all across the top of the TV. At the same time I replaced the lamp on my Mums 42E200A and the same thing has happened although the red line is a little less solid.

Anyone know anything about this? Both TV's are about 3 years old.