Sony Bravia 3lcd Rear Projectors - Any Good?

Wow, nice deal with extended warranty. Was that a cash price or on finance?

Would it be too much trouble to provide a scan of your receipt so I can price match? Would be heaps appreciated.

Dont have a scanner at home. Will try to scan at work if i get a chance.

The break up in the tax invoice is as follows (If it helps you)

KF55E200 2281.00

5YCTV3000 170.00

DELIVERY 40.00

TOTAL 2500.00

This deal was on Mastercard.

H Norman's last offer was $2500 + Delivery (Cash/CC) or $2630 + Delivery (18 months Interest Free)

Can anyone recommend a HD Tuner for this TV. Or an HD Tuner with HDD (if such an animal exists).

Cheers.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone recommend a HD Tuner for this TV. Or an HD Tuner with HDD (if such an animal exists).

Cheers.

Two which seem to be recommended a lot are the LG and the Phillips,which cost quite a bit more.

I bought the LG LST-5100 at JB HiFi as a demo -full guarantee etc.ec for $199 and its excellent-great A/V and well finished.

This model is now superseded for the 6100,which has a HDMI output-however the 5100 has DVI.

If you"re interested,suggest you ring JBs or few more.

Also available here new -as its superseded you should get a good discount off new

http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/as...mp;class=visual

I connected DVI to HDMI plus seperate audio lead.

Cant help with the PVR info.

The optical block assembly is the piece you remove from the TV which houses the lamp.

It is the black part around the lamp itself.

Thats not my understanding of "optical block".

I would expect the "optical block" to comprise the entire light engine.

Lens, Iris, LCD chips, light combiner and filters etc. plus the frame-casing that holds it all together.

Clarification is in order.

Lens, Iris, LCD chips, light combiner and filters etc. plus the frame-casing that holds it all together.

Owen,

Would you please check this picture and give us your findings about this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-XL-2400-Lamp-for-...3QQcmdZViewItem

Its all in a name really.

Sony call them blocks others call them lamps.

This was the way it was explained to me anyway.

Sony Direct Parts

I sent an email off to Sony about a more specific warranty explaination most importantly what it actually does cover.

12 Months standard warranty covers everything including the lamp.

Also in home pickup within 25km's of your nearest service centre.

Extended warranty is the same as above with one exception.

Replacement projector lamp and the optical block assembly are not covered during the Extended warranty period.

This, if the wording is correct suggests that the lamp and the optical block assembly are two different components. Either that or the above warranty statement is very poorly worded.

Its all in a name really.

Sony call them blocks others call them lamps.

This was the way it was explained to me anyway.

Sony Direct Parts

If someone from Sony is reading, could you please clarify.

The ‘Lamp block” is not the “Optical block”.

The word “optical” is not used when discussing a lamp from what I can see.

Ask if the Lens, Iris, LCD chips, light combiner and filters etc. are covered, and get a response in writing.

If thats the case,then any unlucky buyer of the SXRD range could be in trouble,as faults have already been reported, sounds like quite an issue actually. :blink:

Read this post 84378 on-where the light engine was specifically the culprit.

http://www1.epinions.com/msg/show_~threads...m_id_~361/pp_~1

Better check before you buy,SXRDers,whether this fault is warranty covered.

Couldnt find any reports of similar issues with the 3LCD range.

To be honest I don't think I will chase this up any further.

I haven't even taken delivery of the TV yet and I am spending time discussing costs of replacement items which I have not had to, nor may ever have to replace.

Anyone I know and pretty much every forum I have visited people are more than happy with the TV and have reported no such problems so if and when it becomes a problem for me I will look into it further.

I wanted to clarify the lamp warranty which I have done so I will just eagerly await it's arrival which if all goes according to plan will be tomorrow. :blink:

To be honest I don't think I will chase this up any further.

I haven't even taken delivery of the TV yet and I am spending time discussing costs of replacement items which I have not had to, nor may ever have to replace.

Anyone I know and pretty much every forum I have visited people are more than happy with the TV and have reported no such problems so if and when it becomes a problem for me I will look into it further.

I wanted to clarify the lamp warranty which I have done so I will just eagerly await it's arrival which if all goes according to plan will be tomorrow. :blink:

Im with you byter-I reckon the other two are just whingers and stirrers :D especially that Smithy bloke-hes looking for arguments all the time.

If their so worried they can ring up Sony direct themselves instead of getting you to do the work and instead of whinging".Get it in writing"says Owen -that went out with the steam loco!

When i get mine,I,m not gonna worry about something which might never happen and which might becovered under extended guarantee or not-jeez guys havent you two got better things to do with your time?

Anyway-congrats about your delivery tomorrow-keep us posted

Im with you byter-I reckon the other two are just whingers and stirrers :blink: especially that Smithy bloke-hes looking for arguments all the time.

If their so worried they can ring up Sony direct themselves instead of getting you to do the work and instead of whinging".Get it in writing"says Owen -that went out with the steam loco!

When i get mine,I,m not gonna worry about something which might never happen and which might becovered under extended guarantee or not-jeez guys havent you two got better things to do with your time?

Anyway-congrats about your delivery tomorrow-keep us posted

Take it from someone who is going thru optic engine (block) troubles with his Samsung LCD rear pro, that you won't be saying that in 14 months time if they do have problems. My 4th optic engine is now on its way out in 9 months. the tv is only 22 months old.

The Sonys hopefully won't have these problems as I am still looking at options to replace my piece of junk and these are one of them, but if they do, be prepared that the cost that they want to charge for the optic engine is nearly as much as the tv itself.

Take it from someone who is going thru optic engine (block) troubles with his Samsung LCD rear pro, that you won't be saying that in 14 months time if they do have problems. My 4th optic engine is now on its way out in 9 months. the tv is only 22 months old.

The Sonys hopefully won't have these problems as I am still looking at options to replace my piece of junk and these are one of them, but if they do, be prepared that the cost that they want to charge for the optic engine is nearly as much as the tv itself.

Sorry to hear you are having so many probs with your TV.

Not to downplay your problem but the optic engine in the 2 TV's are totally different beast's so you cannot really compare Samsung optic engine with the 3lcd optic engine.

The only problems I have seen people having are with the SXRD range and even then it is only about 200 or so people out of how many units sold? :blink:

At this point it does not seem to effect this particular range so I guess time will tell.

All technology has it's problems and if we didn't purchase electronics because of known issues most of us would still be using manual typewriters for documents and watching 1980's color TV's.

After reasearching PQ, price, problems etc this model came up trumps for me so I will enjoy it while it lasts and decide on a course of action should a problem eventuate.

Hope you get your prob sorted ASAP. :D

I was looking at these TVs today (not only are these units hard to find near where I live, the 55" are nowhere to be seen) and on the front of unit themselves it mentions "200A" in left corner next to the HDMI and other logos. Is this the same as the KF55E200 or was it perhaps an older model I was seeing?

Yes the symbol "200a" does appear on the bottom left of the bezel of the current model.

The previous range were the Grand Wega A10.

Yes the symbol "200a" does appear on the bottom left of the bezel of the current model.

Thanks, Miki. I thought my original post may have been lost amongst the arguing over the lamp prices and optical block replacement. :blink:

Very strongly considering one of these units; I was quoted $2500 for the 55" including delivery but nothing else without even bothering to haggle yesterday, which to me is a great price for such a large size (with decent native resolution).

Thanks, Miki. I thought my original post may have been lost amongst the arguing over the lamp prices and optical block replacement. :blink:

Very strongly considering one of these units; I was quoted $2500 for the 55" including delivery but nothing else without even bothering to haggle yesterday, which to me is a great price for such a large size (with decent native resolution).

You would be doing yourself a favour-forget about all the bullshit about lamps etcetc,which are just unimportant pedantic side issues! :D

I just came back from the SXRD thread and they now admit theres no problems-I guess Hairy was right after all

Amar jsut bought one;

"Just bought KF55E200FOR $2500 (Inclusive of 5yrs warranty and delivery) from Clive Peters. Delivery expected in 7-10 days ".which seems a fantastic price for such a quality unit.

Let us know what happens!!

Not that I really give a flying pork :D -but I just rang the extended warranty insurance company with the ESP,which gives me an extra 4 years AND THE LIGHT or OPTICAL ENGINE IS COVERED.

So theres been the usual lot of nit-picking fuss about nothing.

They sounded very knowledgeable and helpful and confirmed that apart from the usual specified items,only the lamp is not covered.

So please can we have no more repetitious useless talk about lamps etcetc.-its getting extremely boring :blink: (not talking about good buddy byte-me :P )

LOL smart minds think alike.

I wasn't going to persue this further but curiousity got the better of me so I relented.

I just got off the phone with them myself and can confirm all but the lamp itself IS covered under the extended warranty so the discussion of anything else as being an issue is mute as it will be covered.

I questioned them on my last response about the optical block not being covered but he assured me that the 3lcd range of TV's is fully covered under the extended warranty apart from the lamp itself.

So now we can all get some sleep

That is of course when we are not watching our fully covered 3lcd goodness :blink:

Now that it is here I want to set it up but that would annoy me more as i don't have all the cables or the set top box yet.