Sony Bravia 3lcd Rear Projectors - Any Good?

Do it your self cables made from decent RG6 quad shield antenna cable are going to be at least as good if not better then anything you can by at any price.

Spending big money on cables is a dead set waste.

Put the extra $600 to good use and buy a better display or a better quality STB, PVR or DVD player where it will actually make a differance

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a look at the 42" at the closest Target this evening.

At first, I wondered why the picture was so dim. Then I realised it was sitting 10cm off the floor - they put all the larger TVs on the bottom row apparently. I guess OHS rules forbid lifting heavy TVs more than 10cm or something. It looked pretty dim from head height when standing close!

So once I got down on my knees (ouch) I suddenly noticed a bright, vibrant and yet high contrast picture. The content was the Cars DVD so no very dark scenes, but the picture on the 3LCD was noticeably better than the $2300 42" plasma and the $1900 37" LCD on either side. Better detail in the darker scenes, more 'lifelike' colour (can I say that about an animation?) and, crucially, a sharper picture. The plasma was horrible by comparison - a very soft picture lacking detail and over-the-top colours.

Overall it did a good job upscaling the SD DVD. The only negative was two darkish vertical lines near the middle of the screen, which did look like interference on a baseband distribution system. It didn't show up on either the plasma or the LCD next to it though.

I'd still like to check out performance on fast motion (although the set owners have said it isn't an issue) and also how it goes with dark scenes in something like ROTK (although the set owners have said that isn't an issue either). But I was pretty pleased. No doubt these sets have a better picture than anything else anywhere near the price.

BlueJ, You're back after starting the thread!

Thanks Miki

I've frequently read all the new posts in this thread. I was going to jump in on the lamp topic, but thought better of it. Suffice to say the illumination system is the weakest point in any current microdisplay-based TV, but having seen the quality of the picture, lamp concerns wouldn't stop me buying one.

I had better stop, I am starting to sound like a cheerleader and I don't own one! I can understand why those who have bought one are rather pleased.

One crucial question for the owners: are you now picking up the flaws in broadcast material and is it annoying you? If so are you getting used to it?

I had a look at the 42" at the closest Target this evening.

One crucial question for the owners: are you now picking up the flaws in broadcast material and is it annoying you? If so are you getting used to it?

As I think there are only two owners on the forum and it looks likeTreble is absent,I will answer that really the flaws dont seem magnified at all,even poor quality material is watchable and it looks just that, usuallyas being old material.

I would say the quality is the same as CRT as regards flaw detection.

I watch FTA using a STB-quality excellent most of the time,HD stunning-and Foxtel .

Here its important to use a scart to component cable,resulting in SD and the quality is also quite surprising.

For example,I just watched a Lifestyle channel show about some poor bugger taking about three years and various nervies,to build his own house.

ThePQ was almost HD.

You picked the only flaw of the viewing angle,which is directly standing above -otherwise no problems at all.

I have no motion blur and the blacks and the resultant mixes seem pretty good as least as good as our Hitachi LCD

Star Trek looks great and thats all black!

bestest

miki :blink:

The 55" is tempting me at only $2999. Compared to the price of 50" plasmas, it seems like a bargain.

What price could the 55" be bargained down to?

The Sony official retail price is as you say- $2999.

Sony central list them at $2799 before haggling.

I would say you should achieve around the $2500-2600 figure,judging by my own and byte-me's buying price percentages,that is unless the margins are different for that size which I would guess is unlikely.

I would be very surprised if you achieved a 25% reduction

Happy buying :blink:

The 55" is tempting me at only $2999. Compared to the price of 50" plasmas, it seems like a bargain.

What price could the 55" be bargained down to?

While I was in haggling mode I played the game with my friendly retravision salesman and could have bought the 55" $2590 with the extended warranty.

The TV was way too big for our room but I was interested to see how far I could haggle him down. :blink:

While I was in haggling mode I played the game with my friendly retravision salesman and could have bought the 55" $2590 with the extended warranty.

The TV was way too big for our room but I was interested to see how far I could haggle him down. :blink:

Wow!-therefore on that basis the current discounted prices for the range without warranty should be around;

42"-$1600 approx.

50" -$2000approx

55" $2400 approx

All possibly plus a smallish amount

So basically those 8000 hours of the lamp life equate to 333 days :blink:

And did I hear correctly that the lamp is not covered under warranty?

I was thinking about this set until I used the calculator.

Yeah I guess if you watch the TV 24 hours a day 7 days a week it may only last a year.

However it may actually last longer as part of the stress the lamps have is being turned on and off so maybe just left on they may last longer than that.

Average viewing is between 6 - 8 hrs a day which works out roughly 2 1/2 years.

Our average is about 4 - 5 hrs a day so we may actually get 4 - 5 years out of a lamp.

I have not owned the TV for that long so I cannot give you a lamp life at this stage.

Come and ask me again in 2 years. :D

Cheapest price I have had on the lamps locally without really trying was $329 so if thats all I have to spend every 2 or so years that will be OK by me.

No the lamps are not covered under warranty as they are considered a consumable however I was told if the lamp dies within the first 6 months they will replace it for free and consider it transit damage but you may get different mileage from your salesman, it just depends how nice you are to them. :P

In terms of total running costs it is necessary to include power consumption as well.

For the 3LCD it's 195W, 52" X series LCD 330W, Pana 50" plasma 457W.

After 6000 hours of use the 3LCD will consume 1170KW, 52" X series LCD 1980KW, 50" plasma 2742KW.

At 15c/KW this equates to running costs of;

3LCD: $ 175.50

52" X: $ 297.00

50" plasma: $411.00

If the bulb lasts 6000 hours and the bulb price is $325, then the total running costs of the 3LCD is $505.50.

If the bulb price was less than $235.50, then the overall running costs of the 3LCD would be less than the above 50" plasma (assuming the bulb lasts 6000 hours).

Reasonably priced bulbs could well prove a good marketing strategy. :blink:

Sony quote that the lamps have a life of up to 8000 hours,which equates to around 6 years of use,assuming 4.5 hours of operation per day.

Judging by overseas forum where 3LCD sets are very popular,these lamps are reliable and I couldnt find any mention of them breaking down prematurely.

It seems the same applies to SXRD. and Sony projectors.

It is unlikely a lamp would be needed for many years,but now they sell locally around $300 discounted ,$250 from Japan,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-XL-2400-Lamp-for-...3QQcmdZViewItem

or even less from the States,all genuine articles.

In 6 years time they will cost about the same as a Woolies homebrand 75 watt bulb :P

The advantage of user replaceable parts

when this lamp dims or goes out,you replace it yourself and you carry on with a big smile :D

If the backlight or brightness dims in a LCD or Plasma set ,you are in for big,big expenses and in the hands of the repair shop and you feel all dejected and sad :blink:

Maybe some people would be happier if the lamps lasted 4 times as long and the price of the set was $1000 more, or 8 times as long and it cost $2000 more. :D

When the price of the lamp is high, that equates to going through less lamps before reaching the break even point with other technologies such as LCD and plasma. Someone considering purchasing a rear pro is likely to consider: What is the total cost if I go through 2 or 3 or 4 or more lamps over the expected lifetime of the unit and then compare that to the equivelent LCD or plasma. Also, electricity is a constant ongoing cost that is much less obvious and much less likely to be taken into account by the average consumer.

Some may well conclude that it is better to pay more up front and not worry about the cost and inconvenience of replacing lamps in the future.

In 6 years time they will cost about the same as a Woolies homebrand 75 watt bulb :P

I doubt that very much.

You would not get very far negotiating a lower price for the lamp from Sony on the basis that it is comparable with a Woolies homebrand 75 watt bulb, now or in 6 years time. :blink:

Didnt realise the big day had been and gone,thought you were still waiting :blink: -owzit goin? :D

The big day has not been yet so that's what I mean have not owned one that long hehe.

Paid for and own it just have not recieved it yet.

Retravision rang this afternoon and said it will be delivered Monday arvo so just a few more bits and pieces and I will get it all setup....cannot wait.

When the price of the lamp is high, that equates to going through less lamps before reaching the break even point with other technologies such as LCD and plasma. Someone considering purchasing a rear pro is likely to consider: What is the total cost if I go through 2 or 3 or 4 or more lamps over the expected lifetime of the unit and then compare that to the equivelent LCD or plasma. Also, electricity is a constant ongoing cost that is much less obvious and much less likely to be taken into account by the average consumer.

Some may well conclude that it is better to pay more up front and not worry about the cost and inconvenience of replacing lamps in the future.

I doubt that very much.

You would not get very far negotiating a lower price for the lamp from Sony on the basis that it is comparable with a Woolies homebrand 75 watt bulb, now or in 6 years time. :blink:

No offence,but you are pulling our legs arent you-this would have to be the wierdest thing i have ever read-are you felling OK

The big day has not been yet so that's what I mean have not owned one that long hehe.

Paid for and own it just have not recieved it yet.

Retravision rang this afternoon and said it will be delivered Monday arvo so just a few more bits and pieces and I will get it all setup....cannot wait.

The best part is, as everything,in the waiting.-well actually viewing is even better :blink:

They must be selling well in view of the delay.

I ordered mine a day after release and got it the next day'

The best part is, as everything,in the waiting.-well actually viewing is even better :D

They must be selling well in view of the delay.

I ordered mine a day after release and got it the next day'

I must admit if I had everything else here and was just waiting for the TV I would be a bit excited but it will probably sit in it's box for a week or so till the rest of the bits arrive so I will just wait patiently.

My H/K amp sat in it's box for about 8 weeks waiting for different things so waiting a bit longer won't hurt me. :blink:

Apparently it came from Sydney as they are having trouble keeping stocks in Queensland so the stores that have them are OK but once they run out there might be a slight wait.

As I think there are only two owners on the forum and it looks likeTreble is absent,I will answer that really the flaws dont seem magnified at all,even poor quality material is watchable and it looks just that, usuallyas being old material.

I've had mine for almost a year now, and am very happy with it, I thought it was a bargain then when compared to other displays of the same size, now it's a steal. As others have pointed out, the viewing angle can be a downside depending where you inted to put it, for me it's not proved to be a problem at all. As someone else posted earlier, head over to AVForums and ask around there, lot's a of very happy owners who've had the sets for much longer than us.

I've had mine for almost a year now, and am very happy with it, I thought it was a bargain then when compared to other displays of the same size, now it's a steal. As others have pointed out, the viewing angle can be a downside depending on your inted use, for me it's not proved to be a problem at all. As someone else posted earlier, head over to AVForums and ask around there, lot's a of very happy owners who've had the sets for much longer then us.

:blink: At Last-another lucky owner :D

Is yours the Grand Wega as the current models only came out a few weeks ago-but I believe they are substantially similar,except yours has 2 HDMI-is this correct.

The only two things I dont like are the remote and the sound on speech can be a bit indistinct-what are your thoughts.

Do you have any special settings?I have found that they seem fairly setting tolerant

bestest miki

You should also factor in the on going interest cost of a display costing $1k or $2k more for similar quality and size, if long term cost is your concern. :blink: