Sony Bravia 3lcd Rear Projectors - Any Good?

Despite my long standing enthusiasm for SXRD technology, I am in no rush.

I am only interested in the 70”, and wont go out of my way to even look at a 60”.

I see no point in looking at something I have no interest in purchasing.

I don’t expect to even look at a 70”until next year, as I have no intention of shopping during the Xmas silly season.

If I like the 70” I will by one, if not I wont, simple as that. I am happy with my Hitachi 1080 57” CRT RPTV until I find something better.

I would also like to see the 65” 1080p Panasonic Plasma before I make a decision, although the Plasma blacks are not likely to pass muster with me.

If I do go with the SXRD, I will install a neutral density filter and black out the interior of the cabinet as soon as I take delivery. :blink:

I wish we could adopt your outlook, Owen.

You obviously appear to be enviably proficient.

Please keep us informed of your revelations.

Regards,

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anything else I can tell you?

treb

Thankyou treb, you have been a great help.

I wish we could adopt your outlook, Owen.

You obviously appear to be enviably proficient.

Please keep us informed of your revelations.

Regards,

It will be a slap in the face for the SXRD if Owen purchases the 65" Panasonic plasma at twice the price.

Some trivia:

I noticed that Sony list three versions of their Bravia Engine,the circuitry which is responsible for the fine tuning and enhancing of the video signal.

Interestingly,the 3LCD range score the same one as the top of the range X series.

Sony define resolution as either SD(720x576) or High Definition(1280x720) or FULL High definition (1920x1080).

The 3LCD of course is HD at 1280x720 and HD ready.

They no longer list the previous Grand Wega-all sold out.

I will be covered by an extended 5 year warranty for everything except the lamp which should last for 8000 hours or so.These are available locally or eBay at about $us200 from Japan.

The price for the warranty is $139.95-they must be pretty confident about the reliability!

To the original poster Blue J, I think you are pretty safe getting one :blink:

Treble-have you got a HD STB yet-if so what make?

I was wondering about BlueJ and if they have been back to see where their thread went

Miki I noticed you edited out a comment about a width error. Is that something for this thread? curious now

treb

I was wondering about BlueJ and if they have been back to see where their thread went

Miki I noticed you edited out a comment about a width error. Is that something for this thread? curious now

treb

Treb,the computer went mad and filled a whole page with empty space,but OK now.

Yes I thought the post was going a bit off topic-away from the 3LCD. :blink:

Have you got a HD set top box or are you using the computer TV card?

To me it will be a necessary buy because Im not running HTPC mode.

miki

Miki

I am using a computer graphics card via DVD-i (computer card output) to HDMI TV input. This is the easiest way these days to get the HD signal from PC. then you have source and tv settings to play with. With the card in the mix things like colour control can be done on the tv and on PC's output as well. I am not sure if thats a good thing or not as it overlaps. there is no resolution adjustment on the tv save for zoom and slight overscan options. All of the other resolution settings are tied to the pc output.

I expect you will be using component or composite for your HD signal. Is that correct?

treb

Miki

I am using a computer graphics card via DVD-i (computer card output) to HDMI TV input. This is the easiest way these days to get the HD signal from PC. then you have source and tv settings to play with. With the card in the mix things like colour control can be done on the tv and on PC's output as well. I am not sure if thats a good thing or not as it overlaps. there is no resolution adjustment on the tv save for zoom and slight overscan options. All of the other resolution settings are tied to the pc output.

I expect you will be using component or composite for your HD signal. Is that correct?

treb

Yes Treb,

I will connect the Foxtel STB with SCART out and component in to the TV

For the HD STB, I will use HDMI .The problem is finding one with HDMI,there are only a few( untested) ones about.

I will use Jaycar cables-good compromise for quality and price.

Your setup is a bit more difficult-am interested,can you tell me how you are getting a HD signal from the computerto the TV-do you have a seperate digital TV HD tuner card as opposed to a graphics card-otherwise where is the HD signal coming from?

Anyway hope you resolve all these adjustment issues.

miki

Hi guys! :blink:

I just found out about these 3LCD Bravia sets for $1999 (or less) and I was in shock. From what I have read Bravias are meant to the really good so after some investigation I found it was rear projection.

Now I am forced to purchase a TV soon as my old CRT dying, and with limited cash to spend I would love some advice from you guys if possible. :D

1. How long do the lamp/bulb last in the Bravia 3LCD?

2. How much is it to replace the bulbs?

3. How does the 3LCD Bravia compare to a cheap LCD/Plasma you see in Kmart. eg Magnavox 106cm Plasma?

4. How does the 3LCD Bravia compare to a 40" R7 (i think) LCD from Samsung? I know that is up pushing 3000 or so mark but I was thinking about getting that one until I saw this Bravia.

Any other advice you can think of please post and thank you all for the help. :P

1. How long do the lamp/bulb last in the Bravia 3LCD?

Supposedly 6000-8000 hours.

2. How much is it to replace the bulbs?

About $250

3. How does the 3LCD Bravia compare to a cheap LCD/Plasma you see in Kmart. eg Magnavox 106cm Plasma?

Almost certainly better then any cheap panel. In fact, if the Bravia is as good as the old A10 model, it will be better then the top line panels in a most respects.

4. How does the 3LCD Bravia compare to a 40" R7 (i think) LCD from Samsung? I

Judge that for your self.

Yes Treb,

I will connect the Foxtel STB with SCART out and component in to the TV

For the HD STB, I will use HDMI .The problem is finding one with HDMI,there are only a few( untested) ones about.

I will use Jaycar cables-good compromise for quality and price.

Your setup is a bit more difficult-am interested,can you tell me how you are getting a HD signal from the computerto the TV-do you have a seperate digital TV HD tuner card as opposed to a graphics card-otherwise where is the HD signal coming from?

Anyway hope you resolve all these adjustment issues.

miki

Miki

I also use the Jaycar cables. I have a HDMI-HDMI plus I have a DVD-I - HDMI adapter. the adpater plugs into the graphics card, then the HDMI etc. I could not bring myself to pay 100bux. And those ones they sell at the deparment stores that people think are good...can't recall brand.. well they are rubbish...expensive rubbish too

I am using a Digital TV card. It is a Compro DVB-T300 card. www.comprousa.com The software that comes with it is quite good. Has all the functions I need. My own channel list make my channel up/dwn easier. It has a bootup function so when I want to record the PC can start up, record and shutdown. Records a straight mpeg stream to hard drive. About 3-4Gb per hour.

Takes a coax input and has better signal detection than 2 other options I tried. I get 100% on all but 7 and SBS which are 95%. Remote is good although it can miss read occasionally. It can start the PC and shut it down. There is also a sleep timer.. in 30 minute increments. The only downside is setting up record schedules and playback need to be done via mouse and keyboard. I have a laptop and I remote desktop to the HTPC for all those kinds of actions.

So in short, the TV card decodes the input signal and the grahics card shows the output on the TV (instead of a PC monitor).

My aim is to move to a streaming system where I can record, re-encode and access from other PC's or TV's both music and video. It is not a plug and play solution and my ability to find time to play and expand on this is limited ATM. still while we wait we learn at the same time.

treb

Miki

I also use the Jaycar cables. I have a HDMI-HDMI plus I have a DVD-I - HDMI adapter. the adpater plugs into the graphics card, then the HDMI etc. I could not bring myself to pay 100bux. And those ones they sell at the deparment stores that people think are good...can't recall brand.. well they are rubbish...expensive rubbish too

I am using a Digital TV card. It is a Compro DVB-T300 card. www.comprousa.com The software that comes with it is quite good. Has all the functions I need. My own channel list make my channel up/dwn easier. It has a bootup function so when I want to record the PC can start up, record and shutdown. Records a straight mpeg stream to hard drive. About 3-4Gb per hour.

Takes a coax input and has better signal detection than 2 other options I tried. I get 100% on all but 7 and SBS which are 95%. Remote is good although it can miss read occasionally. It can start the PC and shut it down. There is also a sleep timer.. in 30 minute increments. The only downside is setting up record schedules and playback need to be done via mouse and keyboard. I have a laptop and I remote desktop to the HTPC for all those kinds of actions.

So in short, the TV card decodes the input signal and the grahics card shows the output on the TV (instead of a PC monitor).

My aim is to move to a streaming system where I can record, re-encode and access from other PC's or TV's both music and video. It is not a plug and play solution and my ability to find time to play and expand on this is limited ATM. still while we wait we learn at the same time.

treb

Treb-thats what I thought-so actually you could also modify the picture size etc. settings from the Compro.

Dont know if you are gaining much by trying to adjust from both the graphics card and the TV-probably you might be able to get the same results just with the Tv or am I wrong? :blink:

Thanks Owen. :D

I think I will investigate further and find a set all hooked up with proper input and see what its like. I am more and more keen on this set.

Rubbi

If you want to view one which is well worth while-you probably will have to visit a Sony Central store,as none of the others in my experience are carrying them-check out my post a few threads ago.

Mine is being delivered next week and I personally think this range are the current absolute best thing in value-apart from not being loaded with a HD tuner,nothing seems to have been skimped,the PQ seems pretty well comparable with all but the absolute best and the price is sensational for a Sony product :P

Dont worry about being RPTV,they are neither heavier or appreciably bigger and I couldnt see any drawbacks at all!

Kendrew, dont exclude this because of fan noise I think you need to guage for yourself. I think it runs almost silently sometimes.. its too hard to take my opinion on it because for me its not an issue.

treb

satisfaction at an all time high

The fan noise to me was the same as any other screen fitted with a fan-I put my earhole right up next to it and could barely hear it.(yes the hearing aid was turned on).Admittedly,the environment wasnt dead still.

I queried fan noise issues on previous models and they could only remember a few being faulty and repaired.

To me this certainly isnt an issue nor is off axis viewing within sensible limits.

I also sat with my head knocking on the tv last night to see what I could hear in terms of fan...and it was inaudible...

treb

I appreciate your comments on your assessment of fan noise.

Got to admit I'm obsessive. Cannot abide any extraneous noises. Even muffled our desktop and laptop fans. :blink:

However, I'm impressed with your assessments of the overall PQ of the 3LCD Bravias. Don't know how I'm going to wangle a home audition considering no one around here is willing to put them on display.

Someone posted previously about the same Bravia engines being in the 3LCD and LCD panels. As far as I'm aware, the SXRD has the Bravia Pro engine. Not knocking the 3LCDs at all - but I think once a comparison is made alongside the SXRD, people will certainly see the difference. :D

Someone posted previously about the same Bravia engines being in the 3LCD and LCD panels. As far as I'm aware, the SXRD has the Bravia Pro engine. Not knocking the 3LCDs at all - but I think once a comparison is made alongside the SXRD, people will certainly see the difference. :blink:

Read my post-what I said was the 3LCD had the same engine as the X series-no mention was made of the SXRD.

Treb-thats what I thought-so actually you could also modify the picture size etc. settings from the Compro.

Dont know if you are gaining much by trying to adjust from both the graphics card and the TV-probably you might be able to get the same results just with the Tv or am I wrong?

There are 4 set zoom settings, they are pretty much:

full screen (with the overscan we have been talking about)

Full1 which is an inset type format: significant top and side bars

Full 2 which is same a 1 but less top and side bars

Normal which is possibly cinematic or somesuch, Full 2 sized top bars only

then there is a small 1 or 2 pixel overscan option or micro zoom.. however you want to describe that. I haven't seen anything else. It could depend on the input as these setting are for that input only. I have not looked at the other inputs to see if you can adjust the input resolution with other options.

drsmith found the manuals online. This should link to the manual for the 50".

The 2nd link is the for the manua I got with my TV. The first is the exact same manual just printed in a different country. The model I have is KF50E200.. I notice the sony site has dropped the A now... perhaps Sony been listening to drsmith.

This may shed some light on what adjustments there are. If you have any questions that you think I might be able to answer for you am happy to see what I can do with settings and such although my input options are limited.

treb

your card software is different from mine, which can perform horizontal and vertical position and stretch,plus a pan and scan function ,which fits the picture nicely to the monitor screen, without too much overscan. :blink:

Off to pay for the beast tomorrow-will check out the SXRD while there.(wont change my mind)

Doesnt sound too crash hot judging by the SXRD thread!

Thanks for the offer of help-getting it next midweek.

Read my post-what I said was the 3LCD had the same engine as the X series-no mention was made of the SXRD.

Miki, I meant no offence. Of course I read your post (#79) re Bravia engines, but was very short of time and didn't trace the origin - until now.

I know you didn't mention the SXRD engine - but I did, simply to give a rounded view. :blink: "Phew". :D

Miki, I meant no offence. Of course I read your post (#79) re Bravia engines, but was very short of time and didn't trace the origin - until now.

I know you didn't mention the SXRD engine - but I did, simply to give a rounded view. :D "Phew". :P

Didnt mean to sound abrupt-regrets :blink:

Was thinking about your problem of inspecting one of these.

You no doubt are aware of the 7 day"no questions asked" return policy most stores have .

You could make use of that,after having it delivered- the only problem being you cant get a refund,but must exchange

regards miki

Miki

my ATI software came back to life and I was able to cusomise resolutions again. i am set at 1216x680 now and i believe it is a tight fit of the pc desktop to the screen and it should be 16:9 proportional. I watched a few programs switching between 1232 & 1216. I didn't really notice any difference watching a DVD but when watching ABC with the right kind of quality feed the 1216 is just a fraction better.

infact with the right content dvd or tv I think the tv is spot on now. I don't see any blur, detail is sharp, reflections in car panels and windows are crisp and clear...I thought there would be weakness there.

I've watched a few favourite movies and favourite bands and its very satsifying goose bumps experience. I think this television is one of the rare "outstanding bargains" you can get and I dont have any regrets.

treb

treb,

Is there a difference in clarity of your windows desktop and text when using applications such as a web browser when you change from your custom resolution of 1216x680 to native resolution of 1280x720 and back again.

Of the above two resolutions, which results in clearer text ?

treb,

Is there a difference in clarity of your windows desktop and text when using applications such as a web browser when you change from your custom resolution of 1216x680 to native resolution of 1280x720 and back again.

Of the above two resolutions, which results in clearer text ?

drsmith

I will check this out tonite and let you know what I see. I hope to have the loan of a decent camera this weekend so will hopefully be able to update with a few clearer pics.

treb

There is a 1:1 pixel mapping test pattern at 1280x720 on this thread at AVS forum. The test pattern can be accessed from the link on the first post or from here.

Registration to AVS forum is necessary to download the file. Registration is a trivial exercise.

It will be interesting to see if;

1a) There is 1:1 pixel mapping at native 1280x720.

1b) If there is, whether it is preserved on slightly lower custom resolutions that reduces or eliminates overscan.

2a) If there is not 1:1 pixel mapping at 1280x720, whether the test pattern changes in any way at resolutions between 1280x720 and a resolution that eliminates overscan.

2b) If the test pattern does change, whether 1:1 pixel mapping can be achieved at any other custom resolution, in particular a resolution that minimises or eliminates overscan.

Edited by drsmith at about 12:15pm WST.

Miki

I've watched a few favourite movies and favourite bands and its very satsifying goose bumps experience. I think this television is one of the rare "outstanding bargains" you can get and I dont have any regrets.

treb

Good News,Treb-sounds like it was worth all the hard work-now you can relax and enjoy.

BTW -just back from Sony Central-and I'm convinced the 3LCD is just about as good as anything there-well maybe not quite but close enough to make it a bargain!

Hello

Is there a difference in clarity of your windows desktop and text when using applications such as a web browser when you change from your custom resolution of 1216x680 to native resolution of 1280x720 and back again

I posted two new pictures on photobucket showing the text at the two resolutions. They are 270K each I didnt resize them but they scale it to 800x600. So they are about 80K now.

1280x720

1216x680

Now drsmith, fortunately I am already a member of that site so I downloaded the file. Other than play it can you give me some guidance on what to do to assess those points. will images such as above suffice?

thx

treb