Dvi Connectors On Stbs & Panels

I've been looking at various HD STBs and the ones with DVI seems to use DVI-I connectors.

My Plasma has a DVI-D connector - is that going to be an issue? Possibly these STBs are sending digital and analogue over the cable, but as my particular panel only has the "-D" variety connector so I assume it'll only receive digital - does that sound correct?

My panel does also have a single HDMI connector, which I'll use if I have to, but I'd prefer to save that in case I get an HD-DVD player in the future.

I've been looking at various HD STBs and the ones with DVI seems to use DVI-I connectors.

My Plasma has a DVI-D connector - is that going to be an issue? Possibly these STBs are sending digital and analogue over the cable, but as my particular panel only has the "-D" variety connector so I assume it'll only receive digital - does that sound correct?

My panel does also have a single HDMI connector, which I'll use if I have to, but I'd prefer to save that in case I get an HD-DVD player in the future.

Theres no problem AdrianW ; DVI-I can send digital thats compatible with your panels DVI-D . The integrated [ -I ] means it can also put out RGB analog on the same cable.There should be a menu in the stb to pick the output required. DVI is compatible with HDMI btw and vice versa with an adaptor. The only HDMI thats not compatible is version 1.3 but thats in the future :blink:

No, DVI-I and DVI-D have different pin numbers. I can't remember exactly but DVI-I have 5 extra pins.

I recall someone in this forum filed down the extra pins so it fits the DVI-D socket in his plasma, but I wouldn't recommend that!

I'm pretty sure though that they sell DVI-D to DVI-I cables. Check it out at Dick Smith.

I recall someone in this forum filed down the extra pins so it fits the DVI-D socket in his plasma, but I wouldn't recommend that!

That was me! - but that was to connect my PC's video card to my plasma as a test & it worked perfectly. The reason I did it was because the DVI-I cable cost $14.95, and the cheapest DVI-D cable I could find was around $50.

No, DVI-I and DVI-D have different pin numbers. I can't remember exactly but DVI-I have 5 extra pins.

I'm pretty sure though that they sell DVI-D to DVI-I cables. Check it out at Dick Smith.

I didnt realise there was a male/female plug issue Black Dawg down ; thanks for that.The 4 extra pins to the right of the 24 digital pins are for analog rgb plus 1 pin for earth.

I think DVI-I is handy cause it gets rid of 5 cables RGB H/V [either 5 rca's or a seperate vga] and substitutes one :blink:

Legend LHD2 is DVI-D (or LHD3 HDMI) but don't pay more than $229, probably cheaper by now. It's a fairly spartan box, no teletext and minimal features, but gives a good picture. Check the manual and faq on their website. DVI-D is 720p or 1080i and it also does VGA or component up to 1080i, and Svideo and composite.

DVI-D cables will fit into a DVI-I socket - they are designed that way - so just use a DVI-D cable.

BUT, DVI-D cables are at least 3 times the price of a DVI-I cable. (pay more and get less!)

No need to spend $50 on DVI-D cable, get one of this from eBay. It will only cost you around $28 including shipping.

Good quality, fantastic seller (100% positive rating with 10,000 feedbacks), can't go wrong.