Sign in to follow this  
maximusmax

Pioneer 507

I've always been a Pioneer fan (my DVD and Reciever are Pioneer), but the way their treat their customers with only now just including a built in DVB tuner, their DVD recorders don't have HDMI or built in DVB tuner has really been annoying me. Anyway, today I was in JB and HN and in both shops they had the 507 right next to a Pana 50". In both shops, the Pana had a sharper picture, where you could see the freckles on the actors' face, and details in a medallion around her neck. The 507 was like SD in comparison, none of that detail was apparent!

I've noticed this before in the 506 but to see it in two different shops showing different material has really begun to swing me over to the Pana camp.

Disappointed Pioneer fan!!!!!

Same deal here. At HN in West Perth they both had the seven loop running and the Panasonic was doing a considerably better jib than the Pioneer, but the Pioneer is so much more sexier looking than the Panasonic!

Just got home from checking out the new Pioneer have to admit I was leaning towards the Pana, but saw them side by side tonight and the Pioneer pq looked a lot betterthan the Pana's.

They even displayed them with Fox as that is what I will mainly be watching on this screen, admitingly the sports channels were as expected not great but bareable,but have to admit exceptionally happy with the movie channel,Alien v Predator was on and pq was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to admit maybe the Pana's settings might have not done it justice but the bloke who ran me through them was knowledgable,helpful and made some adjustments to try and improve pq, but Pio won hands down!

Looks like I'm buying the Pio in the next few days, but just to satisfy my curiousity going to check a few other stores out to see if they have them side - side to compare,just to make sure it wasn't a bad setup.

Also have to admit price is attractive $5264 plus I have $800 in vouchers for the store from rewards programme + sold old crt tv for $600 so not costing a lot to up grade!

Got my 507 installed on Friday. The panel and PQ looks great. The Pioneer guys turned up with a stand despite me wanting it wall mounted. They will come again on Tuesday with a generic wall mount as HN only received stands for all the plasmas from Pioneer - any comments/recommendations on using a generic wall mount?

The mixup is helping me in a way as I need to sort out the cabling before it goes on the wall. I have connected my Harman Kardon DVD 23 via HK AVR 135 to panel using component cables. Running digital cables from DVR 23 to AVR 135 and AVR 135 to panel. Running a scart/composite from FOX to panel.

Planning to pick up a PVR (Pioneer DVR540H or Panasonic DMR-EH65) and will run it through HK AVR 135 using a component cable for Pioneer PVR or HDMI direct to panel for Panasonic. I will connect FOX to PVR with a scart/composite. Looking at the 507 manuel, the monitor out is only RCA - does this mean that I will have to run the TV antenna via the PVR to record TV programmes?

I would appreciate any comments/advice re above cabling and if anyone using Pioneer DVR540H or Panasonic DMR-ED65 PVR with the 507, would like to hear your views.

If your 'PVR' is a DVD recorder then you can connect FOX as you mentioned and you could connect the 507's composite (RCA) output too but I think you might find the quality of the composite feed is not so good especially when it's being compressed to record and then played back on a 50" screen...

(using the 507's video out to record also means that you can't watch another program whilst recording)

Worth a try though but if it's not good enough for you then you will need to buy a digital STB to record from as (AFAIK) there are no dvd recorders as yet that come with a built in digital TV tuner - they all have crappy 4:3 analouge tuners but I know this is about to change very soon - just as we have (pretty much) the first gen plasmas with built in digital tuners...

IMHO unless you really need to 'archive' your tv recordings to DVD then you would be far better off getting a 'true' PVR - one with a digital tuner and a HDD, preferably a twin HD tuner model like the LG or the Strong or soon to be (!) Topfield HD twin tuner recorder...

As for the wall bracket - shouldn't the Pioneer installers be able to source the genuine Pioneer wall bracket directly and not need it to be supplied by Harvey Norman?

I would not be happy using a generic bracket, although I guess that just as long as they (Pioneer) install it then any problems will be Pioneers and not yours, still, I would be pushing for the genuine thing (details on Pioneers web site) rather than some cheap generic bracket - unless they were prepared to leave the table top stand behind for you as a bonus for the inconvenience...

As for the wall bracket - shouldn't the Pioneer installers be able to source the genuine Pioneer wall bracket directly and not need it to be supplied by Harvey Norman?
I'd have thought all would be delivered directly from Pioneer,.. all genuine,.. non-generic.

I can understand the distributors having local stock for the other gear, but with the Pioneer deal, what's the point, where delivery & installation is all bundled in. Pay your $s at HN and then you have nothing more to do with them - all Pioneer from then on. Contact them for delivery and installation and anything from then on.

Or is this the wrong approach ?

I'd have thought all would be delivered directly from Pioneer,.. all genuine,.. non-generic.

I can understand the distributors having local stock for the other gear, but with the Pioneer deal, what's the point, where delivery & installation is all bundled in. Pay your $s at HN and then you have nothing more to do with them - all Pioneer from then on. Contact them for delivery and installation and anything from then on.

Or is this the wrong approach ?

I reckon you buy the TV, a Pioneer approved installer is contacted, he picks up the TV and bracket from the retail outlet and then off to your place. Saves the installer having to carry stock or get them couriered to him on a one-by-one basis.

angryofmayfair & Jimbo123 - thanks for your comments. I spoke to the sales guy at HN who has ordered some Pioneer wall mount and promised to get in touch with me when they arrive to complete installation. So it will take a couple days before panel goes on wall, but believe it will be worth it. Not sure whether anyone has this issues, but the panel seem to be very static and attracts a lot of dust.

I notice in the Plasma "Burn In" post the older Pioneer 506 is getting a hammering in terms of (temporary) image retention. Has anybody got any (re)views on this with the newer 507 as I am keen to purchase in the next couple of weeks and this could be a deciding factor against the Pioneer 507...

Don't know if this is really the right forum to post this, but here goes, just splurged out and bought the new 507 for the homr theatre and the samy 32 for the bedroom my question is my amp doesn't have enough optical outlets for everything I've got, so just wondering what you guys opinion is!

Do I buy an optical fibre 3 way switch or would it be better to run say my dvd player through a coax connection to get my 5.1 sound? :blink:

Go with the coax connection if it's switchable independently using your receiver - it will save you having to manually switch the optical 3 way switch...

I notice in the Plasma "Burn In" post the older Pioneer 506 is getting a hammering in terms of (temporary) image retention. Has anybody got any (re)views on this with the newer 507 as I am keen to purchase in the next couple of weeks and this could be a deciding factor against the Pioneer 507...

I think it's too early for us Aussies to make any comment as yet - my 507 has been running for the grand total of 11hrs now....

Reports from other overseas forums seem to indicate that IR or burn is far less with this model than the previous but I guess time wiil tell...

I reckon you buy the TV, a Pioneer approved installer is contacted, he picks up the TV and bracket from the retail outlet and then off to your place. Saves the installer having to carry stock or get them couriered to him on a one-by-one basis.

That's exactly what happens BUt I think the Pioneer installers can pick it up from the warehouse if necessary...

Not sure whether anyone has this issues, but the panel seem to be very static and attracts a lot of dust.
:blink:

Yes I have found the gloss black frame attracts dust very strongly - just a minor problem I guess, nothing that a damp cloth won't fix.

Everything else about this panel is totally stunning - after having owned a 37" Hitachi for 2.5yrs I have to say that PQ has come an awful long way in that time - I really can't fault this thing, it even looks a million dollars switched off! :D:P

Hi all, new to the forum have been reading a lot. This is a great site for info.

I've been reading up in paticular on this new Pioneer 507 and it was what I was waiting for but seems I'm confused. I thought this model was going to be able to run at 1080p. I was kinda hoping to buy a 1080p plasma for a bit of future proofing cause I won't be able to buy another for quiet a few years.

The specs on this model says it can do 1080p @ 24Hz over HDMI. what does this mean?

Does this mean that for Xbox 360 and HD Dvd it will run at 1080p?

I guess I should not be to concerned for 1080p in TV as it still isn't broadcast at that resolution yet. If someone could help me out with these questions I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Sphinx

The 507 will scale a 1080p signal back to 768p (its native res).

And it's not limited to HDMI - I believe the specs say that it can accept a 1080p signal over component and VGA too. The 360's 1080p implementation will only be over VGA (and possibly component), since they have no plans to release an HDMI interface at this point.

Just been told by Pioneer that there is a delay in shipping the new Pio`s. No one in installation was available to tell me how long this delay will be. Anyone actually spoken to them yet as to when the next shipment is due? They said they had a very small amount in but the rest have been delayed in Japan. Ordered one last Saturday & getting very impatient.

Hi all, new to the forum have been reading a lot. This is a great site for info.

I've been reading up in paticular on this new Pioneer 507 and it was what I was waiting for but seems I'm confused. I thought this model was going to be able to run at 1080p. I was kinda hoping to buy a 1080p plasma for a bit of future proofing cause I won't be able to buy another for quiet a few years.

The specs on this model says it can do 1080p @ 24Hz over HDMI. what does this mean?

Does this mean that for Xbox 360 and HD Dvd it will run at 1080p?

I guess I should not be to concerned for 1080p in TV as it still isn't broadcast at that resolution yet. If someone could help me out with these questions I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Sphinx

This 50" Pioneer (PDP5000EX) has a native resolution of 1080, however pretty exy at $14,999

This 50" Pioneer (PDP5000EX) has a native resolution of 1080, however pretty exy at $14,999

:blink: Yeah would love that but way out of my price range.

Why?

:blink:

Looking at purchasing the 507 and find it easier to navigate through if the topic is at the top...

Thats why...

:blink: Looking at purchasing the 507 and find it easier to navigate through if the topic is at the top...

Thats why...

Bumping is bad form and annoys a lot of people. A popular thread like this (or any thread for that matter) will rise to the top by itself. Therefore, please don't bump threads. See the forum etiquette guidelines link in my signature.

Back to the topic...

Received my 507 on Monday. Very helpful guys doing the install who seemed to be pretty knowledgible about most things AV, though they'd never heard of of my 'pride and joy' Whatmough speakers :P and I really had to quiz them about running in - Don't use 'dynamic' for first 100 hours.

Anyway, looks great in situ, even better when it's turned on. The PQ really is so much better than you see in most shops. The opening from Star Wars IV is truly breathtaking. I was seven again :P

Only downside is operating the HD tuner - the control is so limited. There is no way of deleting unwanted channels, so you either have to scroll through all of them, or type in the channel number (12, 20, 21, 30, 70, 90) or set them in a favourites menu, which you have to separately access every time you want to change channel. I've put some macros in my MX-700 remote to call up the favs and change up or down, and to type in the right channels numbers from the lcd, but it's a very cumbersome procedure and doesn't look slick in action.

Either I'm missing something bloody obvious (excuse the Bingle-ism) or it's designed to be as annoying as turning the tuning knob on my first b+ w tv 30 years ago. I thought technology was supposed to make life easier :P Hopefully there might be a firmware upgrade sometime :blink:

Fortunately I watch most TV through my Toppy. But it's very difficult to explain to the wife why a 6 grand TV is so difficult to use :D

:'o(

I'm still waiting for my 427, it's been two weeks tomorrow.

I called Pioneer up today and asked when they would be shipping them. I was basically told they are shipping them, however when I get my TV depends on how far down the order list I am as they have alot of backorders to fulfil.

This totally sucks really bad.

Fortunately I watch most TV through my Toppy. But it's very difficult to explain to the wife why a 6 grand TV is so difficult to use :blink:

That's the main problem - after using a Toppy *everything* else becomes difficult! :P

I also had my 507 installed on Monday and agree with your comments in general - totally blown away by the PQ and 'general' usability which is much much better than my old Hitachi on both counts - also if you think the Pio is difficult to use then think about the number of button presses Panasonic owners have to go through to change inputs... :D

OK I guess it would have been nice to be able to scroll through the favourites directly but really - it's not that much more difficult to press two buttons instead of one , actually you only have to press one button (for SD stations) - pressing any numeral button even powers on the set and takes you directly to that TV station - what could be easier?

I'm glad I waited for this model - i didn't think the built in tuner(s) was such a big deal but i find I'm using it a lot...