Sign in to follow this  
maximusmax

Pioneer 507

I got the pdp43 inch pioneer for $4600 drive away no more to pay.... but i did also get a few cables and a HD box to match walked out spending about $5200

I got my 427 for $4284, however that was with buying $7400 worth of stuff all together.

I got a call from HN today saying the PDP507 had arrived at the store and they will get in touch to organise a suitable day for installation. Anyone else?

I got a call from HN today saying the PDP507 had arrived at the store and they will get in touch to organise a suitable day for installation. Anyone else?

Has anyone had a 507 installed yet? I would like to hear about how they look in the real world, not set up badly in store.

I have managed to get JB hifi down to $5400 for the 507 - sorry guys i can't tell you which branch as at the moment I am sworn to secrecy! :-)

Pretty happy with that though as I was going to cough up $5200 last week for runout 506 from harveys...

David Jones will also do a good deal by matchin JB's catalgoue price of $5999 less their current 10% discount plus 3% off for shareholders - still a few hundred more than JB's though....

... sorry guys i can't tell you which branch as at the moment I am sworn to secrecy! :-)

You would have to be a nong not to be able to figure this riddle out :blink:

Mine's installed, and I'm stuck here at work!!!

If I get time, I will post my initial observations and hopefully a picture to my blog tonight.

Pioneer told me this morning that they have just started shipping to WA so none over here until next week - maybe they don't know that Fremantle is a port an could come direct from Japan !! rather than via eastern states.

Saw the Pioneer 507 at HN today. Panel styling looks a million bucks. Excellent minimalistic yet classy design. I reckon they will sell a lot of these simply on its looks alone.

They had channel 9 running through the inbuilt digital tuner. Picture quality was very good but I wouldn't say brilliant (could be setup issue) - was able to make out pixels (?flyscreen effect) from about 2.5m on the 50inch.

They also had a wall-mounted Panasonic PV600 playing a dvd (not yet connected to aerial, so couldn't watch FTA). As would be expected the picture quality was superb - very crisp, clean images. The Pana doesn't look as classy in styling as the Pioneer, but it looks a heap better than the PV60.

Didn't get into the haggling side of things as I haven't had the chance to see a Panasonic playing FTA thru its internal tuner with a good setup yet.

I would be interested in others opinions about the above 2 panels when they get to see them.

I saw a 7 series at Myer Sydney City (I think it was the 50 inch). I was showing crappy a SD program, so didn't look wonderful.

But one thing I noticed, (and same with the 6-series) was the the picture is very "noisy", much like film grain on a 800 ISO film. I find it quite annoying, is this just a setting in the Pio, or is this normal. I'm not too keen on that effect.

Has anyone else seen it?

No (well, minimal) noise on mine. Quite often the signal distributors in stores like Myer are pretty ordinary, IMHO. That could have been introducing noise into the image.

No (well, minimal) noise on mine. Quite often the signal distributors in stores like Myer are pretty ordinary, IMHO. That could have been introducing noise into the image.

Actually, just to clarify, I've noticed the effect at quite a few stores on the 6 series. Just curious if I'm nuts and the only one who sees it, or if it is just the default settings that could use some work.

Thanks for your review, Mabster. Enjoy your new panel! How far do you generally view the panel from in distance?

I too got a call today, from Domayne. Asked me if I wanted it delivered or if I was going to pick it up? :blink:

Reminded them of the Pioneer policy and said they would get back to me. Got a call later to say Pioneer would call in the next 7 (SEVEN) days to arrange an install.

Far too excited now, a glass of red cordial could send me over the edge :D

saw the 50inch at myer melb today... was very impressed though i think will still go for the new pana.... i'd rather save the extra cash and spend on speakers and receiver

saw the 50inch at myer melb today... was very impressed though i think will still go for the new pana.... i'd rather save the extra cash and spend on speakers and receiver
Too spend about the same amount of money on speakers and receiver I hope. :blink:

Thanks for your review, Mabster. Enjoy your new panel! How far do you generally view the panel from in distance?

Measured it just the other day - 3.8m or so.

Tossing up between the 507 and 506

One factor that is making me lean towards the 506 despite the less connections is the separate media box - which given I plan to have the screen wall-mounted with concealed cabling, would seem to save me the trouble of trying to get to the wall cavity each time I have a new toy to connect up to the screen.

Am I missing something, or is it not actually that difficult to plug things in once its up there?

Tossing up between the 507 and 506

One factor that is making me lean towards the 506 despite the less connections is the separate media box - which given I plan to have the screen wall-mounted with concealed cabling, would seem to save me the trouble of trying to get to the wall cavity each time I have a new toy to connect up to the screen.

Am I missing something, or is it not actually that difficult to plug things in once its up there?

Saw the 507 in JB today, they said most peope want the 506 for the media box exactly for teh reason you've listed.

The external HD STB's are better, no one really uses 2 HDMI as they have a HDMI switching device or simply dont have 2 HDMI devices and the PQ is the same!

Id say grab a 506 at a steal over the 507 if the Media Box is a issue for you. I love my media box exactly for the reasons above :blink:

Saw the 507 in JB today, they said most peope want the 506 for the media box exactly for teh reason you've listed.

The external HD STB's are better, no one really uses 2 HDMI as they have a HDMI switching device or simply dont have 2 HDMI devices and the PQ is the same!

Id say grab a 506 at a steal over the 507 if the Media Box is a issue for you. I love my media box exactly for the reasons above :blink:

yeah i have already written a **** email to Pioneer marketing about this as it's just one little thing less that makes the 'total Pioneer experiance' better than the competition...

I have ended up making a loom of ALL the cables required to extend from the back of my wall mounted 507 to the back of the entertainment cabinet so that once it's installed I won 't have to try and get cables up the wall and into the rear sockets

I BIG PITA and I too am disappointed tha there is not the option for a media box - that's what Pioneer would do if they were smart - offer it as an option...

The media box is not always seen as a bonus though - I know quite a few Pioneer 506 owners that see the MB as a nuiscance - it's an extra box and as such needs space and power, also there are reports in some forums that the MB should be bypassed for optimum PQ - eliminating plugs/scokets and cables seems to lead to better PQ...

So whilst I am finding the install of my 507 a PITA at the moment I am sure that the extra time effort and cost of duplicating all the rear connections will be worth it in the long run...

As for the *need* for HDMI's - well I can use the two of them at the moment - one for my DVD player and one for my HC3 camcorder. I would prefer to connect them direct at the moment but if I get a PVR then that will be three HDMI inputs reqd which will then need a receiver upgrade to enable switching :-(

Also I prefer the 507 over the 506 for it's built in HD tuner - it's now what we should have had years ago - a stand-alone HDTV...

As for the external STB being better - well I don't think that has been proven as yet - I haven't seen any reports about the internal tuner PQ and in theory it should be just as good if not better (less cables!) than an external one...

Time will tell....

I saw a 7 series at Myer Sydney City (I think it was the 50 inch). I was showing crappy a SD program, so didn't look wonderful.

But one thing I noticed, (and same with the 6-series) was the the picture is very "noisy", much like film grain on a 800 ISO film. I find it quite annoying, is this just a setting in the Pio, or is this normal. I'm not too keen on that effect.

Has anyone else seen it?

I just saw this unit today and was bothered by the same noise. It wasn't the source, because I was flicking through the input modes and there was no source, it was just the generated menu text that was full of dot crawling type noise. Seems to be less noticeable on the Fuji, and the Pioneer commercial plasma I took a look at. Weird.

I just saw this unit today and was bothered by the same noise. It wasn't the source, because I was flicking through the input modes and there was no source, it was just the generated menu text that was full of dot crawling type noise. Seems to be less noticeable on the Fuji, and the Pioneer commercial plasma I took a look at. Weird.

I've always been a Pioneer fan (my DVD and Reciever are Pioneer), but the way their treat their customers with only now just including a built in DVB tuner, their DVD recorders don't have HDMI or built in DVB tuner has really been annoying me. Anyway, today I was in JB and HN and in both shops they had the 507 right next to a Pana 50". In both shops, the Pana had a sharper picture, where you could see the freckles on the actors' face, and details in a medallion around her neck. The 507 was like SD in comparison, none of that detail was apparent!

I've noticed this before in the 506 but to see it in two different shops showing different material has really begun to swing me over to the Pana camp.

Disappointed Pioneer fan!!!!!