Sign in to follow this  
maximusmax

Pioneer 507

I got the exact same statement from the JB sales guy in Dandenong.

Southland

I'm determined not to pay out more than $5400 for the Pio and the Pana 600 should be around $1000 less than that (plus ext warranty, plus wall mount)

I need to clarify: The Pana should still be $1k less INCLUDING a 60 month extended warranty AND a Pana wall mount (to preserve said warranty)? :blink:

Southland

I need to clarify: The Pana should still be $1k less INCLUDING a 60 month extended warranty AND a Pana wall mount (to preserve said warranty)? :blink:

Sorry, no I think the ext warranty & wall mount will be extra to the $4500 I was quoted on the 50" Pana 600 yesterday so in reality it will be close to the price of the Pioneer by the time you add those extras.

The problem I have at the moment is do I actually need/want to wall mount? If I can live with it on the supplied stand then I would save approx $600 on the extras price of the Panasonic...

IF I do go with a wall mount then the Pio looks like a better option all things considered as the price would be close to the same but you get the 5yr Pio factory warranty with it's peace of mind that they push so strongly in their ads.

I'm leaning towards the Pio..... :D

The problem with being an early adopter is the gamble you take trying to compare the products on paper alone.

It will be interesting to see these panels next to eachother. As I said before the PQ will be my determining factor as the price is the same (The extra for the Pio will be compensated by the better "Peace of Mind" warranty and the included wall mount).

The proof is ALWAYS in the pudding! :blink:

Does anyone actually think that Pioneer 506 PQ is superior to Pana PV60 PQ?

I know some of it is personal preference, but I've seen these setup in lots of different stores & I am yet to see a better picture from the Pioneer.

To me the Pana has a crisper image, whereas the Pio images seem a bit blurry & muffled (relatively speaking).

We know the PQ on the PX600 is going to be good because it is the same panel on the PV60. This is assuming the inbuilt tuner doesn't let us down.

But for me, whilst the Pio 507 looks very stylish & classy, it is going to have to have a significant improvement in PQ for it to rival the PX600.

Pio also suffers from a greater susceptibility to burn-in than Panasonic. A 5 year warranty won't protect you against that.

That's a good price. I ordered mine from HN for $6K. Did DJ give you a delievery date?

Thanks dcruez, but I got mine from Domayne not DJ's.

In stock October 17, delivery to be arranged then.

This is feeling like the longest two weeks ever :blink:

... and equally relevant, does anyone actually think the Sega Master System has better graphics than the NES? :blink:

But for me, whilst the Pio 507 looks very stylish & classy, it is going to have to have a significant improvement in PQ for it to rival the PX600.

Pio also suffers from a greater susceptibility to burn-in than Panasonic. A 5 year warranty won't protect you against that.

Well I have compared the two side by side and I thought personally the Pioneer was very slightly the better of the two.

It's very hard to compare as none of these comparisons are controlled and they are strongly a personal thing but I have two friends with Pio 506's and when set up correctly under 'home' viewing conditions they look superb. Then again I have a friend with a Pana 50" 500 series and that looks gorgeous too, so to me I doubt that I would be umhappy with the PQ from either set...

This Pio image burn/retention thing seems to be very much an English phenomenon

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405663

- it doesn't get much of a mention at all on our DBA forum or the US AVS forums

It's also nice to see that Pioneer UK have actually responded positively with some of those UK problems - I would expect no less from Pioneer over here under the same circumstances...

Also the threads on the AVS forums don't seem to rate the Pana 600 PQ as high as the Pioneer - there seems to be a number of comments about 'dirty whites' as a consequence of obtaining deeper blacks which I *think* I have also noticed on our Pana sets although as I have mentioned - the PQ of both these brands is within a knats bum of each other. IMHO of course...

To me the Pana has a crisper image, whereas the Pio images seem a bit blurry & muffled (relatively speaking).

You also have to be careful regarding the way the set is set up.

The Pana (as can the Pioneer but to less of an extent from what I have seen) *can* look very sharp if it is set up with the sharpness setting on 'normal' or towards the sharp end of the scale - this actually adds a very fine black outline around objects which can give the impression of being extra sharp but in reality it's no sharper - it's an effect that I now notice a lot on Panasonic (and other) products (I have a Panasonic 3ccd miniDV camcorder that does the same) and I now find the effect very annoying and unatural...

To me the Pioneer's less enhanced picture looks more natural. BUT the Pana can look just as good if set up correctly by setting the sharpness to low/zero.

It will be interesting to see these panels next to eachother. As I said before the PQ will be my determining factor as the price is the same (The extra for the Pio will be compensated by the better "Peace of Mind" warranty and the included wall mount).

The proof is ALWAYS in the pudding! :D

Yes I tend to agree but when you really think about it it's just about impossible to do a really fair and controlled A/B comparison in a retailers showroom :blink:

When I bought my Hitachi plasma 3 yrs ago I went to the extent of taking my fave test dvd's etc to the store and trying to do a comparison of various sets - I *thought* I had made the right decision and came home with the Hitachi. It was only a few days/weeks later after having lived with the thing for a while that I started to notice it's inadequacies, especially the 'banding' or gradation problems due to poor source and the low number of grey scale processing levels...

Funnily enough over the years the Hitachi seems to have improved (or perhaps we become more accustomed - it's subliminal thing!) - the PQ is close to perfect especially from a good source - in fact as far as resolution goes it would be hard to beat - a 1024 x 1024 res on a 37" set makes it as sharp as a lot of LCD sets, especially at an 11' viewing distance

I still have a problem with the lack of grey scales though and in this case the Pio 507 wins out over the Pana 600 - 600 billion against a factor of ten (60 billion?) less on the Pana - (these numbers are getting silly) although that's probably meaningless and more dependent on source and image processing abilities of the set than anything else....

(edit - those numbers may not be accurate and relate to the number of viewable colours, not grey scale levels - the actual number of grey scale levels is 4096 for the Pana 600 and 9600 for the Pio 507 and just 1024 for my Hitachi)

OK, thanks for that angryofmayfair. What you've said has been helpful for me. I didn't realise that Pioneer would help owners out who experienced burn-in. I will now view the 507 with a more open mind when it finally comes out......

Thanks again.

OK, thanks for that angryofmayfair. What you've said has been helpful for me. I didn't realise that Pioneer would help owners out who experienced burn-in. I will now view the 507 with a more open mind when it finally comes out......

Thanks again.

Well that still remains to be seen in Aus and Pioneer (as most other manufacturers) also state that image burn/retention is not covered under warranty... :blink:

But at least it seems that the extra cost of the Pioneer 'total satisfaction' (or whatever they say) warranty *may* be worth it...

That is a concern with the Pioneer sets I must admit but then my Pioneer owning friends have never hadno any burn/retention prolems so I am hoping for the best with mine if I go with the 507.

Also the 507 thread on the US AVS forums seems to indicate that the 507 is less susceptible to image retention that the 506.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=672745

(caution - a very long thread!)

I *did* see a 50" Pana 60 series with bad image retention in Harvey Norman - you could clearly see the DVD menu showing in the background of the movie as it played but who knows how long the clown's had allowed it to sit there with the menu showing?

So I guess no set is immune to these things although in three years of watching the Hitachi I have never had *any* after-image of any sort and I have used it with a HTPC showing static images at times...

Anyone seeen the Pio 507 up & running yet? If so, is it any good? Quite keen to buy it - been quoted $5700 in JB HiFi, but would like some other expert opinions rather than just the salesmans`. Thanks

Nope I don't think it's on the shelves as yet but it's not far away - have been told dates from today to three weeks time depending on who you talk to so I guess onlyh Pioneer would know...

Edit - even Pioneer don't know - according to them they are 'trickling through' - some shops may have them by now

Anyone seeen the Pio 507 up & running yet?

When we do we will post our opinions in the other thread with the same subject as this one as to avoid confusion.

I suggest you should too. :blink:

Would want to be pretty decent considering the large price difference over the panasonic model

Would want to be pretty decent considering the large price difference over the panasonic model
Compare apples with apples. What is the price of the new panasonic?

Compare apples with apples. What is the price of the new panasonic?

retails is $3790

retails is $3790
But that is not RRP is it. That is street price. The only fair comparison is RRP plus installation plus 5 year warranty. How do they compare then?! Street price is something else IMHO.

There is already another thread (here) about the new pioneers. JB Hi fi Chatswood already has the 507 on display

retails is $3790

This price seems for the 42" 600 series Pana. The 50" 600 series is $5899... not much different when you add in wall mount and 5 year warranty. Note- the 50" 60 series is $4899 I think (all RRP)

The 507 was on the shelf at JB Tuggerah, NSW 2 days ago.

& the reason I started this topic was to get comments on the 507, not the Pana 60/600. This, & the other thread already seem to have been hi-jacked.

There is already another thread (here) about the new pioneers.
It probably would have been better to post in the existing thread if that is the correct one and also not a clone.

Edit: I think you will find that these threads have now been merged into one.

Edited by Lyle

I saw the 507 on display at Kotara NSW JB on Saturday. To be honest could hardly tell the difference from the older model PQ wise - no idea how it was setup though.

The 507 has been at JB's Carindale (Queensland) for about a week.

Looks nice. The blacks are still blacker than anything else I could see around it (Hitachi, LG, panasonic). [i think FTA digital sucks for comparisons. Too many MPEG artifacts :blink: ]Without a side-by-side I'm not sure if it's any better than the 506.

The 507 IS on my shopping list in the next month or so. Plus a VSX1016, Klipsch speakers and a Strong PVR :-) . And a Sony Commander.

so whats the cheapest people are buying the 427??

im looking at a 42inch... either panasonic 600A or the 427?