Sign in to follow this  
maximusmax

Pioneer 507

For people interested in settings here is a review of a 42” Pioneer plasma that appears to be the current US version that would be equivalent to the 427XDA available here in Australia.

It includes a list of settings from an ISF calibration of the set that might be worth a try.

Lavs,

Wow, they sure are different to Angry's settings! Tell me, are those minuses or dashes?

Yes Madmax, they are minuses.

Don't take my settings as gold-standard - as I said I've only had the panel for a week so they're very subject to change!

Here's a question: The manual says ADV mode sets the tv to 72Hz for DVD movies having 24 frames per second. Great. But on the next line it says "ADV is not selectable when 1080p@24Hz is input." :blink: I presume they are saying you must use 1080i? Yet 1080p@24Hz is an acceptable input over the HDMI.......strange that it can't just take this input and just display it 3 times to make 1080p@72Hz......has anyone with an HD-DVD player actually tried this to see if it's true?

Thanks Moby, I will try those ISF settings once I have my 200 odd hours up (about 20 hrs @ the moment, bugger :blink: )

I know i have asked this question in another thread but i thought it might be more suitable here as most of you have the 507 post in this thread.

My question was the Pioneer installer that came to install the 507, what did he or she do? (tune the tv, setup other equipment, etc)

They set up the Panel either on the stand or on the wall, tune in the Ditigal Tuner (and Analogue one if you want it) and show you how it works. If you have other Pioneer HT gear they 'may' hook them up for you free of charge, otherwise any other brands they are supposed to charge you for it.

Also I'd suggest you keep the box and packaging instead of letting them take it away. Will make moving the panel in the future a lot easier and safer (ie warranty claims etc).. I spoke to Pioneer about this the other day and for a charge they will come out and package and move your panel when you move house. That way you are definately covered by warranty if it's damaged in transit..

For people interested in settings here is a review of a 42” Pioneer plasma that appears to be the current US version that would be equivalent to the 427XDA available here in Australia.

It includes a list of settings from an ISF calibration of the set that might be worth a try.

Moby,

I've just tried those settings on my 427 which has resulted in a reasonable improvement in PQ compared with my old settings, so thanks for that.

I know we are concerned about burn-in, but am I risking burn-in by continuing to use these settings when my plasma hasn't clocked 100 hrs?

I was told by the installer that providing contrast is set less than 50 & I don't pause dvd's for prolonged periods things should be fine........

Well the official Pioneer installers left my 507 on pretty much all the default settings (the only thing they changed was PowerSave to '1' and colour saturation down a few notches) which included 40 for contrast but having been on the UK AV forums and having seen a lot of image retention and burn in issues with UK owners of the previous gen of Pioneer I decided I would drop the contrast down to around 25 - 30 for a month or two but since doing that I have found that it's actually around that value that I prefer anyway...

It does seem that the current 7th gen are less prone to image retention so I am not that worried and I would think that anything up to the default 40 for contrast would probably be OK seeing as that's how Pioneer set mine up, yes watch out for things like static images although the panel will detect these and drop the brightness & contrast anyway - the channel logos are potentially more of a problem as they are a small static image on a moving screen and the panel can't detect those :blink:

BTW I have three friends with 6th gen Pioneer plasmas and none of them have ever seen *any* serious image retention and none of them changed any of the settings far from the default so perhaps there is very little need to be concerned all things considered - just treat it sensibly and we should be OK...

OK, thanks Angry.

I plan to continue using the settings Moby posted, then - they're quite good.

The double century looks like it will happen, unfortunately :blink:

:P

Bugger!

Even though I support the Poms I was very disappointed and really felt for Ponting :D

Well, to keep on topic - I just tried those ISF settings and really didn't like them - to me the picture is very over-saturated - colour looks almost 'neon' density...

Droppoed the saturation down from +5 to 0 and they don't look too bad....

I think we may have probelms using these settings as our sets seems to have far more options in the advanced area and also perhaps the NTSC format makes a difference and needs to be taken into account?

Whatever - as mentioned - it's all personal taste and there is more than enough adjustment on these sets to keep *everybody* happy! :P

I think we may have probelms using these settings as our sets seems to have far more options in the advanced area and also perhaps the NTSC format makes a difference and needs to be taken into account?

Yeah, good point Angry.....

It makes me wonder whether it is worth paying $400 for a professional calibrator to come in when, at the end of the day, settings are greatly influenced by our own personal preferences......

I've noticed a slight buzzing noise from the back of my 427 panel - it is just audible from 2.6m when the TV sound is muted.

My gut feeling is that it's nothing abnormal but would just like to check that other Pio 507 or 427 owners have the same thing.

Otherwise I'll be contacting Pioneer.

Thanks.

By the way, I am still constantly in awe of the picture quality this panel produces. I watched the latest Pirates of the Caribean dvd the other day - storyline itself very average, but the picture quality blew me away.......

This any use?

Hi, I have been reading topics in this forum for years, this is my first post :blink:

I am thinking of buying a 50' plasma screen, but wondering whether Sony 1080Full HD will be a better choice than the top plasma screen like Pioneer?

If plasma is the way to go, then is the picture quality of Pioneer 507 better than 506. I ask this question because, first, 506 is 1k cheaper, second, like the media box design, third, do not want to attach the speakers, with 506, I can just leave the speakers unattached.

I'm getting the 507 next week. I chose it over the Sony because the Sony was more expensive and I'm running out of money. Also, 50" is 4" bigger than 46" :-)

I think the 507's image is at least as good as the 506. Other sites have said it's better. I prefer not to have the media box, but since I'm getting it wall-mounted I'm going to have all the cables hooked up *before* the guy puts it on the wall, even if I'm not using them yet. (composite, hdmi, vga, component)

It will be hooked to to a pioneer AV receiver with bells and whistles and inputs and outputs.

Got my Pio for $5100 cash.

Spacious, I have had the 507 for about 3 weeks and am very happy except for a small amount of "judder". The speaker bar on the 42 is part of the panel but with the 50 it is detachable. I held off buying until now as I hate the media box plus STB senario. I too will probably wall mount eventually and will put up with the trade off of extra cables etc happily. Enjoy your purchase.

Spacious, I have had the 507 for about 3 weeks and am very happy except for a small amount of "judder". The speaker bar on the 42 is part of the panel but with the 50 it is detachable. I held off buying until now as I hate the media box plus STB senario. I too will probably wall mount eventually and will put up with the trade off of extra cables etc happily. Enjoy your purchase.

Does the 427 have better PQ than the 507 being a smaller panel?

Thanks Martin and Steve, I heard Sony 50' can be purchased at less than 5k, not sure if that is true. One reason I thought about Sony Full HD is because I was kind of worried what will happen after one or two years and everything is 1080P.

I like the media box, it is easier to wall mount with media box. There are always chances that I will buy new toys to hook up with the Pioneer. If there is not much PQ difference between 506 and 507, I may go for 506 if it is still available and at least 1k cheaper.

On the other hand, I don't like the speaker of 507, is it easily detachable?

Hi, where do I download the technical manual for 506 and 507? I like to read the manual thoroughly before ordering it.

How easy is it to connect a HTPC to it. I have a less-noisy PC and I am thinking of hooking it with the Pioneer.

How easy is it to connect a HTPC to it. I have a less-noisy PC and I am thinking of hooking it with the Pioneer.

Yeah, that's what I'd like to know. The manual says the HDMI connection will not accept a PC signal, so maybe VGA is the only option....?? Would love to hear from an existing HTPC/507 user about this.

spacious

Your thought process re Sony LCD Full HD vs Pioneer 507 Plasma is exactly what I have been going through myself. Haven’t purchased yet but am pretty much set on the 507 now given lack of 1080p content and I'm unlikely to buy a Bluray player for a few years.

The manual is available to download from the Pioneer website..

Not sure where you are located? There is a 506 set up in Myer Melbourne as well as a 507. Could be wrong but from memory it wasn’t a lot cheaper on the sticker price.

Spacious, The speaker actually came in it's own separate box, ie, not attached to the panel. I also read today on the smarthouse site that manufacturers already have the next format/definition level happening (quadrupal 1080p) with panels available around the end of the year (so they say) We won't see the them on the market for some time yet, thank god. If anyone is interested here is the link to the article.Smarthouse article

Got my Pio for $5100 cash.

Hi MartinX

May I be so bold as to ask 'where'?

I am also about to buy one... Would you mind revealing where I could get a price like that in VIC.

OT: When is the best time to buy, before or after XMAS?

Thanks

Edited by fixler