Sign in to follow this  
maximusmax

Pioneer 507

Looks like the gap on pricing between the Panasonic 50" and Pioneer 50" has reduced somewhat. New Pana 600 RRP $5899 (plus about $500 to get 5yr warranty) looks pretty close to the Pioneer's RRP of $6499.

Still a biggish gap for the 42" model though (Pana=$3799+$350? warranty vs Pioneer=$4999)

Interesting to see how street prices will compare ...

Looks like the gap on pricing between the Panasonic 50" and Pioneer 50" has reduced somewhat. New Pana 600 RRP $5899 (plus about $500 to get 5yr warranty) looks pretty close to the Pioneer's RRP of $6499.

Still a biggish gap for the 42" model though (Pana=$3799+$350? warranty vs Pioneer=$4999)

Interesting to see how street prices will compare ...

JB hi-fi are supposed to have the 507 in stock by the end of the week and they will be advertising it in their catalogue for $5999 - *if* you can beleive the guy on the shop floor.....

I think though that the Panny 600 can be had for a good deal less than RRP?

Anybody have a recent price on the Panny 50" 600 series and when will it be available?

It's going to be a tough decision between these two...

Just answered my own question:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...471&st=1480

It looks as though you can pick up the Panny 50" 600 series for around $4200/$4300 if you shop around - that's a large difference compared to it's RRP and the JB price on the new Pioneer...

It looks as though you can pick up the Panny 50" 600 series for around $4200/$4300 if you shop around - that's a large difference compared to it's RRP and the JB price on the new Pioneer...

Guess the Pana 600 with similar warranty will be about $1000 cheaper.

So what do you get for the extra $,.. home delivery, installation, wall bracket if going on the wall.

If your unit was going onto a wall, does the Pana come with a wall bracket ? If not does anyone know what its worth ? Do they come standard with a stand? And is the wall bracket an option, or is it extra and replaces the stand ? Just wanting to do all the sums, well most of them anyway.

These are the 2 I'm considering and I prefer the black look of the Pioneer against the silver Pana.

Jim.....

Guess the Pana 600 with similar warranty will be about $1000 cheaper.

So what do you get for the extra $,.. home delivery, installation, wall bracket if going on the wall.

If your unit was going onto a wall, does the Pana come with a wall bracket ? If not does anyone know what its worth ? Do they come standard with a stand? And is the wall bracket an option, or is it extra and replaces the stand ? Just wanting to do all the sums, well most of them anyway.

These are the 2 I'm considering and I prefer the black look of the Pioneer against the silver Pana.

Jim.....

Pretty sure a wall mount for the Pana 600 is an optional extra but the mount is quite expensive although I guess you would get to keep the stand which is not the case with the Pioneer - it's one or the other - install on the wall and you don't get a stand...

You probably will be sort of forced to buy the Pana wall mount too as I think a cheap wall bracket may void the warranty.

The BIG plus of the Pioneer is the supposedly trouble-free install and 'total' support for five years which includes a replacement loan set if they take yours away...

I must say I would far prefer the Pioneer manufacturer's warranty to the retailers warranty - some of them are not worth the paper they are written on, whether it's worth $1000 to $2000 more though is debatable...

I too much prefer the looks of the Pio which is why I stayed right away from the current all-silver Pana but the 600 series might just look fine - far less silver and also the matt finish black is a bonus - the Pio gloss *can* be a pain as far as reflections...

The Pana (the overseas model anyway) also has an SD card reader that also records direct from the HD tuner in mpeg4 format - which is a bit of a bonus, (depending on the quality of the playback I guess...)

(Update - it seems that Panasonic Australia have also decided to remove standard overseas features - can't see any mention of the SD card record facility on the Aus model - so Pioneer are not the only ones to remove fetures...)

Pioneer decided that us Aussies wouldn't ever use the USB port that their 507 has on overseas models so they left it off - another reason why I'm leaning towards the Pana - I really dislike the principle of greedy manufacturers removing functions/features and yet charging more for the local product

Well first post on this board, so...

I yesterday ordered a Pioneer 507 for delivery October 17 for $5700 with 40 months interset free from Domayne.

The best price I got on the last 506 in stock was $5500 so I think I've done pretty well :D

Bold shout without seeing it first, but hey at $142.50 per month for the next 3 and a bit years it will be mine and still have 20 months warranty left.

I told the wife the old 59cm LG is on its last legs in any case :P

Love these Smilies :blink: and this board

Jim.....

Decent wall brackets for a 50" start around $250-300. Original Pana bracket would probably be $500+. Don't forget, if you buy Pio the 5 year warranty also extends to any other Pio purchase pre/post 12 months

"Pioneer expands 5-year warranty to 7th generation owners Pioneer has gone one step further with its unique focus on customer service and will now offer an additional five year warranty on any other Pioneer home entertainment products a 7th generation plasma owner buys within twelve months prior to and following the date of their 7th generation plasma purchase.

You will be happy with either screen!!!

How much do you think I should be able to get the new PDP427XDA for with cash in hand?

It retails for $4999.

How much do you think I should be able to get the new PDP427XDA for with cash in hand?

It retails for $4999.

Had a price from HN for $4400.

The best price I got on the last 506 in stock was $5500 so I think I've done pretty well :blink:

Bold shout without seeing it first, but hey at $142.50 per month for the next 3 and a bit years it will be

$5700 for the 507 - that's a good price - very promising to see it that low already as it's a brand new yet to be released model with RRP $6499

I did manage to find a 506 for $5200 without too much difficulty over the weekend in Melbourne but decided to wait to see how things pan out with the 507 against the new Pana 600 series..

I doubt you will be disappointed - all the reports from UK/USA are very favourable...

JB brochure has advertised the 507 for $5,999 with the normal 5 year warranty - man i think with a bit of bargining - it will be a deal and a half.....

Well I ordered my 507 this morning. Got DJs to match the Domayne price of $5700 earlier in this thread (thanks toppio). Went for the 2yr interest free deal (no deposit). The 4yrs, one-third deposit was also available but 2yr deal worked better for me. JB were prepared to go close to $5500 cash, but overall the interest free deal was better.

Well first post on this board, so...

I yesterday ordered a Pioneer 507 for delivery October 17 for $5700 with 40 months interset free from Domayne.

That's a good price. I ordered mine from HN for $6K. Did DJ give you a delievery date?

That's a good price. I ordered mine from HN for $6K. Did DJ give you a delievery date?

dcruez - nothing specific but sometime mid-late October. I'm pretty relaxed about it as we'll be on holidays anyway. I've been looking and looking and looking for two years, so a few extra weeks is OK.

Now all I need is the Yamaha YSP1000 DSP for some minimalist (but apparently good quality) sound.

dcruez - nothing specific but sometime mid-late October. I'm pretty relaxed about it as we'll be on holidays anyway. I've been looking and looking and looking for two years, so a few extra weeks is OK.

Now all I need is the Yamaha YSP1000 DSP for some minimalist (but apparently good quality) sound.

great choice of plasma SilverGuy.... the yamaha speaker is great... just see if you can test in your home environment... if you don't have the correct 'wall' configurations, the sound won't reflect properly and the surround effect would be lost... with the ideal room configuration the surround is very convincing... it does need a sub to give a true HT feeling to it...

sounds like you'll have a kick a*ss HT ....

Cheers,

Marcelo

great choice of plasma SilverGuy.... the yamaha speaker is great... just see if you can test in your home environment... if you don't have the correct 'wall' configurations, the sound won't reflect properly and the surround effect would be lost... with the ideal room configuration the surround is very convincing... it does need a sub to give a true HT feeling to it...

sounds like you'll have a kick a*ss HT ....

Cheers,

Marcelo

Thanks big_marcelo. Should be a lot of fun. Apparently the YSP1000 comes packaged with a decent sub. I read a good review on audioholics? a while back and our rectangular shaped lounge room (solid brick walls) should work nicely. Can't remember the quote I got from HN but it was miles below rrp.

just got the specs from pioneer email to me

usb, ether port and digital twin tuner are missing from the aussie tv

comes with analogue and digital tuner eg PIP one picture digital the other analogue picture

Just put on display at JB HiFi Chatswood today for the 507 (advertised @ $5999). The 427 is about a week away (JB price $4795). As usual, watched the guy set it up (ie plug it in and turn it on). Good PQ, but wasn't quite as sharp as the 42" Pana PV60 next to it. They really should set these up properly. Content was a David Attenborough special about the environment - not sure if it was DVD or HD feed.

Good to see the "made in Japan" sticker on the bezel - I'd heard like the Panas, Pioneer too were now manufacturing out of China.

Still a tough call whether to pay the premium over the new Pana 600 series - still not in store...

is there any place that i could do a trade in for the 507 display?

i currently own the 506 (8 months old).

cheers,

slider17

If the 5 yr warranty is transferrable you could maybe sell yours 2nd hand.... then buy the one you want

Well, after several hours of lurking it has come down to these 2 units: The 50" Pana 600 and the Pio 507.

I will have to wait to see the 2 side by side as PQ will be the determining factor here...

Is it true that stock numbers are limited at the mo for the Pios? A JB salesman told me yersterday that if I had not yet placed an order for a 507 I would be waiting for December for delivery. It would seem that if they can sell them at the ticket price why would they be interested in haggling. :blink:

Oh, and what to do with my beloved HD Rank CRT..? :D

Is it true that stock numbers are limited at the mo for the Pios? A JB salesman told me yersterday that if I had not yet placed an order for a 507 I would be waiting for December for delivery.

I got the exact same statement from the JB sales guy in Dandenong. Is this where you heard it?

FWIW I think it's total BS and JB would be the last place I would buy from choice - I hate their sales tactics and agressive attitude.

BUT if their price is right.... :blink:

I overheard some 'discussions' around price too and it was getting very serious at $5400 for the 507 - at this point the JB sales guy was pushing to close the deal by 'talking with his boss', the purchaser wanted it for $5k which wouldn't be realistic, but I never heard the eventual outcome...

I'm in the same situation re Pana or Pio but to be honest I doubt that the deciding factor will be PQ as it seems they will be pretty much line ball, it will be more to do with final price and availability for me - I'm determined not to pay out more than $5400 for the Pio and the Pana 600 should be around $1000 less than that (plus ext warranty, plus wall mount), if I can live with the less attractive appearance