Pioneer 507

Has anyone wall mounted the 507 or have you stuck with the stand?

Im still in two minds. Wall mount would look better (and make the panel difficult to steal), however how do you go with cabling (I would prefer concealed). Do they just stick a hole in the wall and feed down the aerial, power and other cords?). I'll be using a Yamaha 2700 so only HDMI will need to go to the TV.

Also, is it easy to access the back of the panel if you require to use other inputs further down the track.

A little confused at the moment, any help appreciated

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone used the VGA input for a PC?

Yes both my PC and MacBookPro work perfectly - the screen is full, the aspect ratio is correct (one advantage of getting a 50" screen with square pixels) and it's pin sharp, well, as pin sharp as a 1366 x 764 res can be :blink:

I'm actually very surprised at how good a 500MB widescreen bit torrent file looks on such a large screen - i was sort of thinking that it would be unwatchable quality wise but it's really very watchable

Wall mount would look better (and make the panel difficult to steal), however how do you go with cabling (I would prefer concealed). Do they just stick a hole in the wall and feed down the aerial, power and other cords?).

Also, is it easy to access the back of the panel if you require to use other inputs further down the track.

I'm in the same boat. I have wall plates for my speaker cable connections, but am asking myself the same questions about the TV connections. A friend mentioned using the cable slots you see in workstations - the circular ones with overlapping semicircular vanes that you feed PC cables through.

I think it can get difficult to use other connections once the panel is in place. I'm considering connecting a spare component and HDMI cable to the panel so it may ease thios issue in the future. Other option is to use a swivel arm bracket (like the old iMac), but these mean the panel sits out a fair way even when the arm is as flat as can be.

Any other suggestions...?

Im still in two minds. Wall mount would look better (and make the panel difficult to steal), however how do you go with cabling (I would prefer concealed). Do they just stick a hole in the wall and feed down the aerial, power and other cords?). I'll be using a Yamaha 2700 so only HDMI will need to go to the TV.

A little confused at the moment, any help appreciated

I went with the wall mount and as I don't yet have a receiver with hdmi switching I bought a whole stack of leads to be able to replicate every in & out (except s/vid & composite) at the bottom of the wall.

It's worked out really well and I'm glad I made the effort to do it this way as there is very little clearance to be able to get to the sockets once it's on the wall.

The Pioneer guys pulled the whole lot up through the wall and finished off the hole with a plastic trim so that all in all it looks very professional.

I guess they are not too pleased about Pioneer dropping the media box as it makes their job quite a bit more difficult! It would be nice if it was available as an optional extra for wall mounting.

There's a lot of plusses & minuses to wall mounting - I wonder if you lose out if/when you ever come to sell the beast? It's also quite a job to rearrange the room if you ever have to. I do think it looks great though - it's sort of 'hovering' at eye level, about a foot above the entertainment unit with enough space for a centre channel speaker beneath it.

A word of warning - don't buy the leads off the Pioneer guys - they are way too expensive ($70 for a 1mtr component cable!) - you can get excellent quality leads for 1/3 the price from Jaycar

I'm in the same boat. I have wall plates for my speaker cable connections, but am asking myself the same questions about the TV connections. A friend mentioned using the cable slots you see in workstations - the circular ones with overlapping semicircular vanes that you feed PC cables through.

Those are the ones that Pioneer use when they wall mount it for you.

Once it's mounted it pretty much impossible to get to the rear sockets without unsecuring the bracket and pivoting the bottom of the plasma away from the wall - to do this comfortably you would need three people - one each side to hold the plasma whilst you duck underneath and try and fit the cables - much easier done during install - if Pioneer drop it then it's their problem not yours! :blink:

FYI the bracket sticks out from the wall less than 30mm and the front of the screen is less than 150mm from the wall.

Has anyone got a pic/sketch of the wall mounting bracket used with the 507 ?

I'll be buying one in the coming month(s), but before hand will build out a false wall and hope to indent the area where the panel will sit, to accomodatre the mount so the panel sits like a picture on the wall.

I'm trying to work through the dimensions to get it all right before I begin, so any help/advise would be much appreciated.

Does this information exist with any of the delivered installation instructions with anyone that's bought the 507 with wall mount ? Or maybe a link somewhere ?

Thanks,

Jim.....

Has anyone got a pic/sketch of the wall mounting bracket used with the 507 ?

I'll be buying one in the coming month(s), but before hand will build out a false wall and hope to indent the area where the panel will sit, to accomodatre the mount so the panel sits like a picture on the wall.

I'm trying to work through the dimensions to get it all right before I begin, so any help/advise would be much appreciated.

Does this information exist with any of the delivered installation instructions with anyone that's bought the 507 with wall mount ? Or maybe a link somewhere ?

Thanks,

Jim.....

This sounds as though it will look a million dollars but I'm not so sure it's a good idea in reality as the back of the plasma needs a fair bit of air circulation to get rid of heat build up.

The Pioneer manual specifies at least 100mm behind the set and 500mm above it if mounting in an alcove.

Whilst the supplied wall bracket does not actually meet those requirements (only 30mm rear clearance) I figure that if the set fails then it's Pioneers problem besides in my case the set is open on all sides so I don't see heat dispertion as much of a problem.

Sorry but I didn't get to see the bracket in situ before the 507 was mounted on it so I can't really help

Heat is my concern also,... which is why I thought to just include the bracket and whatever else I can recessed. Leaving what needs to protrude to ensure heat dissipation is adequate.

The width of the false wall, or built out bit, at this point looks like it'll only be about 2m and include a built-in center speaker below the screen. I'm thinking of directing any of the spare inputs to a wall plate on the side of this built out bit for temporary connections. And run the rest to a remote area where the audio gear will be housed. All still needs more thinking.

OK - I see - I thought you were trying to mount the whole plasma in the wall with the front of the panle flush - it would look superb but I don't think it's practical - at least not without some sort of cooling fans behind the wall, along with extractor vents etc - it could be done if you throw enough money at it I guess..

From the extra info supplied above I'm not sure that it's worth all the throuble just to save an extra 30mm at the most - the standard mount supplied by Pioneer is very slim - the 507 looks pretty much 'picture perfect' on my wall

Have to agree with angry here, definitely not worth the bother. Wall mounted plasmas look perfectly fine as they are. Besides, you'd have to get the dimensions of the alcove to match the panel in terms of the gap around the edges (kind of like a picture frame), and then if you ever change your panel in the future the alcove size probably won't match anymore and it will look a bit silly.

Guest CrustyDemon

Does anyone have the 507 on a stand? I'm after the width & depth of the stand. I'm designing a unit for the screen to sit on and I'm thinking of building in a lazy suzan (swivel base) in the unit top. If i do I may make it a flush fitting round swivel top.

Cheers if anyone can help.

Was just at Myer Melbourne having a looksy about.

Ran the hand all, (well mostly), over the 507 they had on show and there was no significant heat pockets anywhere, most places were cool to the touch, except for a location about 1/3 way along the top from the left.

I'd have thought the unit would've been on for most of the day.

I went with the wall mount and as I don't yet have a receiver with hdmi switching I bought a whole stack of leads to be able to replicate every in & out (except s/vid & composite) at the bottom of the wall.

It's worked out really well and I'm glad I made the effort to do it this way as there is very little clearance to be able to get to the sockets once it's on the wall.

The Pioneer guys pulled the whole lot up through the wall and finished off the hole with a plastic trim so that all in all it looks very professional.

I guess they are not too pleased about Pioneer dropping the media box as it makes their job quite a bit more difficult! It would be nice if it was available as an optional extra for wall mounting.

There's a lot of plusses & minuses to wall mounting - I wonder if you lose out if/when you ever come to sell the beast? It's also quite a job to rearrange the room if you ever have to. I do think it looks great though - it's sort of 'hovering' at eye level, about a foot above the entertainment unit with enough space for a centre channel speaker beneath it.

A word of warning - don't buy the leads off the Pioneer guys - they are way too expensive ($70 for a 1mtr component cable!) - you can get excellent quality leads for 1/3 the price from Jaycar

Thanks Angry. I thought as much. Sounds like i should order a couple of HDMI cables and run them through the wall. Did Pioneer charge any extra for putting the cables through the wall?

Guest CrustyDemon
I'm at work so I can't measure the stand, but if it helps, you can actually swivel the tv on the stand.

OK thanks... didn't realise it swiveled, that just made my job easier...

Cheers.

Edited by CrustyDemon

Guest CrustyDemon

Those that have their plasma mounted to the wall - How high is it to the bottom (speaker) from the floor? Do the pioneer installers have an average suggested height or do they ask for your preference?

can anyone tell us what the wall bracket looks like does it have a large opening to pass the cables

or does it have small holes , also what type of hdmi cables sould you use from $40-00 to 300-00

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/62/49...WM02/index.html

is this the wall bracket used thanks for your comments

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/62/49...WT02/index.html

Yes both my PC and MacBookPro work perfectly - the screen is full, the aspect ratio is correct (one advantage of getting a 50" screen with square pixels) and it's pin sharp, well, as pin sharp as a 1366 x 764 res can be :blink:

I'm actually very surprised at how good a 500MB widescreen bit torrent file looks on such a large screen - i was sort of thinking that it would be unwatchable quality wise but it's really very watchable

Any idea how PC would look in one of these screens if I run a DVI-D to HDMI cable from my graphics card to receiver and then HDMI to HDMI from receiver to TV?

What's a good price for a 507? Ticket prices I've seen are around $5899.

The best price i have come up with so far was $5100 for cash at clive anthonys brisbane mt gravatt.

Myers has !0% off plasmas and a further 10% if you do 12months interest free which brings the price to $5264, plus they have some sort of bonus voucher with the myers one card.

The 10% finishes Sunday oct 22.

I am tossing up wether to go the panasonic 50px600a or the pioneer 507, both screens look fantastic the pana i can get for $4300 with 5yr warranty but will have to buy the wall mount bracket seperate. I believe it has to be a pana bracket or it will void the warranty, that takes the price up near $5000. which is why i am cosidering the pioneer.

I would appreciate any comments/advice.

I dont see why it would void the warranty by using an aftermarket wall mount. Does it specifically say that it would in the warranty details, or is it because a salesman was trying to con u into buying the ridiculously priced pana wall mount. Wall mount aside, the pana would have to better money for value i believe.