Sign in to follow this  
TVFAN123

Panasonic Sd Plasma Th-42pa60a - Need An Advise

What does the actual warranty contract say?

it says its my responsibility to shipping.. =(

I was reading that DVI-D to HDMI cables were about 20-35 dollars. rather cheap. However I am unsure what res will the PA60A display. Some plasmas are quite picky and will display nothing until you get the refresh rate / res right. ie 852x480x50 or 60

NOTE: There is only 1 HDMI port in the PA60A, so PC + HD Tuner is probably not the best combination, if thats what you need go the model higher PV60A

By the way PV60A has 2 HDMI , 1 VGA and a load of other input ports

Edited by beatmag

Has anyone noticed that on the back of this model some say made in japan and some made in china ? - not that it probably makes any difference. Just seems od for the same model to have 2 different sources.

Has anyone noticed that on the back of this model some say made in japan and some made in china ? - not that it probably makes any difference. Just seems od for the same model to have 2 different sources.

yes i noticed this,

however I believe panasonic's have change the location to china recently early 2006, so all stock should be made in china.

Showrooms still have made in japan because these were probably older

China - Japan , Im watching my China one now, its still all good.

anybody know how to get the service menu out?

I was reading the volume down button on the panel, and + on the remote, but the PA60A doesn't have the volume down button

=(

The pa60a and the pv60a are made in china.

The px600a models are made in japan.

Whats with this pa60a model going from $1500? Why so cheap? Is it a discontinued model or something?

Whats with this pa60a model going from $1500? Why so cheap? Is it a discontinued model or something?

Not discontinued model but "outdated" technology. HD is all the buzz, SD is old fashioned and not worth bothering about ... or so they want us to think.

Philip

Can someone with this panel please measure the maximum distance of the legs of the pedastal stand that comes with this unit as standard.

I am looking at getting one of these and am hoping I can use my existing TV cabinet as a new cabinet would be an added cost I need to factor in.

Thank-you

Can someone with this panel please measure the maximum distance of the legs of the pedastal stand that comes with this unit as standard.

I am looking at getting one of these and am hoping I can use my existing TV cabinet as a new cabinet would be an added cost I need to factor in.

Thank-you

if you went to a store, you can measure it,

most stores have it on the stand, when i get home and if i remember,

i'll measure it

if you went to a store, you can measure it,

most stores have it on the stand, when i get home and if i remember,

i'll measure it

Thanks, I will be going instore tomorrow but as I live out of town I was hoping to get the measurements before I so I know what I'll need.

Another question for for all other owners, I currently have a 68cm Panasonic CRT flat screen TV that was purchased about 6-7yrs ago. It is currently conected to a STB via composite and everyone in the household thinks the picture is perfect. My question is that if I buy this SD plasma and set it up correctly (component leads, DVE callibartion etc) will the picture quaility be that of equal or better than my current CRT because I don't want it to be worse. I find it really hard to tell in the store as very few of the screen seem to have a decent quality picture but most people say they always look better once you get them home.

Any advice??? Thanks!

My question is that if I buy this SD plasma and set it up correctly (component leads, DVE callibartion etc) will the picture quaility be that of equal or better than my current CRT because I don't want it to be worse. I find it really hard to tell in the store as very few of the screen seem to have a decent quality picture but most people say they always look better once you get them home.

The PQ of almost any large screen (even HD) generally looks worse than smaller screens because the pixel size of large panels is larger!! Viewing distance however will be the key. If you sit at about 2 - 2.5m from a 42" screen you will be getting the most out of it but the PQ will not match that of CRT. It would be unfair to compare the PQ of 106cm to 68cm.

Most stores dont feed the panels with good quality feeds and thus can look poor in store. This will not automatically improve at home though. You will need a good quality antenna, STB and live in an area with good signal strength.

I have looked at CRT, LCD and Plasma side-by-side at Myer and to be honest felt that the 42" Plasma and LCD offered great PQ compared to CRT. The difference might have been there but I was not able to see it without moving to an unrealistically close distance from the screen.

Thank-you

850mm x 315mm x 65mm (W x D x H)

850mm x 315mm x 65mm (W x D x H)

Thank you very much! Looks like its not going to fit, oh well new cabinet time!

I prchased one today at Myer got it for $1650 pretty easily with 6 months interest free, I though it was a reasonable deal. (Couldn't measure the stand though as it was sitting on the purpose built cabinet thing and Harvey Norman had sold their display model.)

Now just have to wait for it to be delivered either tomorrow or early next week!!

Thank you very much! Looks like its not going to fit, oh well new cabinet time!

I prchased one today at Myer got it for $1650 pretty easily with 6 months interest free, I though it was a reasonable deal. (Couldn't measure the stand though as it was sitting on the purpose built cabinet thing and Harvey Norman had sold their display model.)

Now just have to wait for it to be delivered either tomorrow or early next week!!

which harvey norman did you go?

don't know the details, Clive Peeters in Brisbane advertising $1597 with "HD digital set top box".

HVN Moore park Sydney quoted me $1599 for PA60A with 5 yr warranty for $200 but tried to steer me towards LG 42" with built in SD tuner for around $1699 plus $150 for 5 yr warranty. Not sure whether this is a better option or not. Any advice appreciated,

Tks Dave

Rang clive peters this morning. No stock. So off I go to Myers to price match with add. After many visits to the store managers office by the sales person I got a PA60A for $1470 and a panasonic tu-hdt105a hd box for $180. Total $1650. Tempted to sell the set top box, is it worth having a hd box with a sd tv ?

HVN Moore park Sydney quoted me $1599 for PA60A with 5 yr warranty for $200 but tried to steer me towards LG 42" with built in SD tuner for around $1699 plus $150 for 5 yr warranty. Not sure whether this is a better option or not. Any advice appreciated,

Tks Dave

General consensus on this forum would give the Pana the thumbs up - for both for PQ and reliability. I own the Pana, and would make the same choice if had my time over again (especially at that kind of price :blink::D:P ).

Rang clive peters this morning. No stock. So off I go to Myers to price match with add. After many visits to the store managers office by the sales person I got a PA60A for $1470 and a panasonic tu-hdt105a hd box for $180. Total $1650. Tempted to sell the set top box, is it worth having a hd box with a sd tv ?

From previous comments posted on this forum in a number of threads, it appears thet running a HD box thru the PA60A can infact provide a better PQ than an SD box (as I don't have a HD box myself, I only base this on what I have read). Also remember that with a HD box, you can receive 5.1DD surround sound (when broadcast by the networks - a factor to consider if you are connected thru an AVR). Worth thinking about...

General consensus on this forum would give the Pana the thumbs up - for both for PQ and reliability. I own the Pana, and would make the same choice if had my time over again (especially at that kind of price :blink::D:P ).

Thanks Ultrasmart, the Pana seems the way to go. Now just have to decide on 42PA60A (around $1599) or 42PV60A or go all the way & get the 42PX600A at approx $2599.

I agree SD plasma's might be old technology, however as I only paid $1479 for a new Panasonic 42in SD plasma. I can afford to sell it off cheaply on Ebay in 1 to 2 years time when HD content is more readily availble. I was going to buy the Panasonic 50in HD plasma with inbuilt Digital tuner (which still isn't true HD 1920 x 1080) for $3650 but thought I'd put the savings towards an HD LCD projector for movies now or buy a 55in HD 1920 x 1080 plasma/LCD as a replacement TV in 2 years time when they will be almost giving them away !!! By that time HD DVD, BR discs and HD FTA content will be more mainstream and for me justify the better panel at a later stage. Hopefully I've made the right decision !!!! either way the picture quality of a 42in SD plasma will still be better than my existing 7 year old 43in RPTV.

JDH.

Not discontinued model but "outdated" technology. HD is all the buzz, SD is old fashioned and not worth bothering about ... or so they want us to think.

Philip

yeah, im still undecided between the 50px600a which was my first choice or the sd42" + projector.

There are definite advantages for a projector for special events and movies and a more affordable panel for day to day viewing which wont be devaluing by thousands of $ in the first 18mnths. Another option I considered are the Sony 3lcd series of rearpros, in the bigger screen sizes they are great value.

I agree SD plasma's might be old technology, however as I only paid $1479 for a new Panasonic 42in SD plasma. I can afford to sell it off cheaply on Ebay in 1 to 2 years time when HD content is more readily availble. I was going to buy the Panasonic 50in HD plasma with inbuilt Digital tuner (which still isn't true HD 1920 x 1080) for $3650 but thought I'd put the savings towards an HD LCD projector for movies now or buy a 55in HD 1920 x 1080 plasma/LCD as a replacement TV in 2 years time when they will be almost giving them away !!! By that time HD DVD, BR discs and HD FTA content will be more mainstream and for me justify the better panel at a later stage.

JDH.

Well my 42pa60 was delivered this evening. I am very impressed with the PQ given this is an SD plasma, DVD's and FTA (via component from a Strong 5006) look excellent. I am yet to fiddle with the the picture settings to further improve the picture, but using some settings posted on here for inital run-in PQ quality is excellent.

Given the viewing distances my living room allows for (3.5 - 5.5m) I think this panel is going to service my family very well for the coming years till some form of HD DVD format is sorted out and 1080p panels are a price similar to what I have paid for this unit!!

Just as a quick update, I've had my 60a up and running now for about 3months and to this day I SWEAR the PQ is getting better and better. Tweaked the color settings using Digital Video Essentials PAL edition then "stole" some settings from here for some minor adjustments. Everything that is supposed to look great does. Still very happy.

'Course I worked at a retail chain, got staff pricing and have lusted after Pana SD plasmas for 2 years now. So, I'm a LITTLE biased. LOL

Thanks Ultrasmart, the Pana seems the way to go. Now just have to decide on 42PA60A (around $1599) or 42PV60A or go all the way & get the 42PX600A at approx $2599.

Seen the 42PX60A for $2250 and less for cash at the good guys hoppers crossing the other day.