Sign in to follow this  
TVFAN123

Panasonic Sd Plasma Th-42pa60a - Need An Advise

extended warranty to 5 years was $200....

in my opinion why wouldn't i get it???

getting a tech to my place would alone cost at least $100 per hour.

$200 to cover for all 4 extra years..... I should ask if parts is included....

just a question is the extended warranty from panasonic?

It wouldn't be from Panasonic as the card that came with my Th-42pa60a had a price of $900 for Panasonic extended warranty. :blink:

I wanted to ask, whether I can use a DVI -> HDMI cable on the PA60A, from a PC?

Because the PA60A does not have VGA, what is the best method of connecting a PC to it? I would most likely try to run the pc at the proper res 852x480... I have SVideo out and Component but, that will limit my resolution to TV standards which is rather low compared to 480P

I've been wondering the same thing - will this panel even look halfway decent when running from a PC? The resolution is a little strange - I'm not expecting to use it as a 2nd monitor or anything, just wanting to use a MCE '05 PC attached to it for streaming TV and watching other media. It sounds like DVI->HDMI cable would be the way to go, but does it actually scale the image to the right aspect ratio from the PC easily?

If someone who has the panel or experience with attaching a PC via any of the inputs could give some advice it would be much appreciated.

Edited by dj_ricochet

I was told by sales rep that the 42PA60A was a run out model as Panasonic were going out of SD displays and concentrating on HD displays.

Does anyone know if this is true or just sales talk.

For some reason I cannot make a new thread, only reply to posts, so I'm afraid I'm going to hijack this one a tad...

Regarding this plasma, the run in time given by the Panasonic website is 100 hours, during which there are many things you should do to avoid burn in yadda yadda.

Well, I'm thinking of picking one up tommorow to use with my new Wii, and I'm wondering if there is any precautions I can take to prevent anything bad from happening by playing in that break in time. Like if I change the channel or show that 'ants' static after every 30mins or whathaveyou. ?

Thanks

hi there,

FYI

Cheap price!

My friend got the Panasonic VIERA TH-42PA60A 42”/106cm Plasma TV (SD) from Myer Chatswood for $1550, without any real haggling.

So much cheaper now, I got a previous model this time last year for $800 more.

Cheers

:blink:

Bob

My friend got the Panasonic VIERA TH-42PA60A 42”/106cm Plasma TV (SD) from Myer Chatswood for $1550, without any real haggling.

That's a great price. Can you ask your friend for the name of the salesman who served him ?

I'm wondering if there is any precautions I can take to prevent anything bad from happening by playing in that break in time.
Don't leave it sitting with the WII showing a static image for hours. Keep the brightness setting a bit subdued for the first 50 hours. Otherwise enjoy. Plasma burn in is largely a thing of the past. The disclaimers are largely irrelevant these days.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Don't leave it sitting with the WII showing a static image for hours. Keep the brightness setting a bit subdued for the first 50 hours. Otherwise enjoy. Plasma burn in is largely a thing of the past. The disclaimers are largely irrelevant these days.

Its not the brightness setting which you have to worry about, its the contrast. Brightness determines the black level. Contrast determines the peak white level.

Keep the contrast down if you are concerned and dont use the dynamic picture setting (it looks like crap anyway). But like Peter said, burn in is very unlikely to happen with a panasonic.

FYI

Cheap price!

So much cheaper now, I got a previous model this time last year for $800 more.

Man that is cheap .. I am almost regretting the $2400 I paid for my PA50 a year ago.

Jaybee88,

All you need to do is write the price you want on a piece of paper and say that is the price you can get it from the Goodguys or from JB HiFi, and ask the salesman to match it.

The way they operate now, is they will match it if they can otherwise you can negotiate from there. As it is a big store, there is no bullsh*t with the haggle as they dont care how much they can make from you, it is a sale to them either way if it is above their cost price, and I am sure they get a volume incentive rebate from Panasonic .

So go for it, at least you know their cost price now is under $1550.

Merry Christmas and Good luck.

Bob

Anyone buy one of these panels today ? I'm wanting to buy one for daytime viewing (pj for night) but did'nt get a chance to get out today. Called Dick Smiths today - over the phone price was $1548 without any haggling at all. Seems a cheap option for someone (like me) not wanting or needing the benefits of a HD panel for viewing distance reasons. Will probably go down there tommorow. Interested if anyone else got one today.

Steve

For some reason I cannot make a new thread, only reply to posts, so I'm afraid I'm going to hijack this one a tad...

Regarding this plasma, the run in time given by the Panasonic website is 100 hours, during which there are many things you should do to avoid burn in yadda yadda.

Well, I'm thinking of picking one up tommorow to use with my new Wii, and I'm wondering if there is any precautions I can take to prevent anything bad from happening by playing in that break in time. Like if I change the channel or show that 'ants' static after every 30mins or whathaveyou. ?

Thanks

As others have indicated Burn In on the Gen 9 panels does not seem to be a real issue. FYI the following link has settings I used on our TH-42PA60A for the initial 100 hours then the calibrated settings after this period... http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...persianimmortal

The initial settings are those from PersianImmoral, calibrated are those I came up with using DVE using PersianImmortal's settings as a starting point.

Hope this helps.

Picked up one of these panels today from DSE powerhouse. Been running for a few hours and I'm very happy with it. Our seating position is between 4.5 - 5.7 mtrs so the difference between HD/SD isnt noticeable to me and for a sporting event or good movie the pj gets switched on with the screen coming down over the plasma. At these sort of seating distances ( setup for 108" screen size) this is a great plasma at a great price. Ticket price is now $1498 - alot of picture for not a lot of money IMO - anyone thinking about one of these might want to get in quick as most retailers are still pushing for the $1700 mark.

Steve

One other thing is there an hour meter on these plasma's ?

Picked up one of these panels today from DSE powerhouse. Been running for a few hours and I'm very happy with it. Our seating position is between 4.5 - 5.7 mtrs so the difference between HD/SD isnt noticeable to me and for a sporting event or good movie the pj gets switched on with the screen coming down over the plasma. At these sort of seating distances ( setup for 108" screen size) this is a great plasma at a great price. Ticket price is now $1498 - alot of picture for not a lot of money IMO - anyone thinking about one of these might want to get in quick as most retailers are still pushing for the $1700 mark.

Steve

One other thing is there an hour meter on these plasma's ?

It says $1798 at dse website for powerhouse stores.

Where did you get yours?

Hi,

I have had no luck with good guys they said the $1699 was a two day below cost sale.

If anyone has a receipt for less than $1789, could you please email it to me please. My email address is browny89@hotmail.com.

Thanks

Saw it today at Good guys Hoppers crossing for $1695 but the guy said it was going up in price tomorrow.

Alot of their plasma's/lcd's were cheaper than JB's and retravision,and HN which I thought was cool.

Anyone buy one of these panels today ? I'm wanting to buy one for daytime viewing (pj for night) but did'nt get a chance to get out today. Called Dick Smiths today - over the phone price was $1548 without any haggling at all. Seems a cheap option for someone (like me) not wanting or needing the benefits of a HD panel for viewing distance reasons. Will probably go down there tommorow. Interested if anyone else got one today.

Steve

Just bought mine from JB for $1550. Got it home, installed it.... Looks fantastic!!

Edited by Jasp

Was this $1550 a melbourne price.

If so can you tell us the shop and salesman.

I want to get one tomorrow.

Thanks

Ben

Was this $1550 a melbourne price.

If so can you tell us the shop and salesman.

I want to get one tomorrow.

Thanks

Ben

Yep, City JB. Salesman was Christian... great guy!

thanks for the reply

I Couldn't waitso I hot footed it to JB brighton, they did 1550 and 250 for the extended warrenty

so 1800 with warrenty - very happy with that

Thanks

Ben

hi,

i wanted to ask how large is the packaging?

for the PA60A? Thinking about purchasing but hard to fit in the car?

can I have it lying flat face down?

will it be ok if I drive really slow?

can I have it lying flat face down?

will it be ok if I drive really slow?

A very emphatic no on this one. The screen will crack. Unless you've a lot of head room and boot space (or a Ute) pay the $50 delivery fee.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I agree, it's worth paying the delivery fee.

Having said that the box juuuust fit in my pulsar hatchback with the seats down. Total weight is 38kg so it's not a total back breaker.

did anyone buy from Harvey Norman.

I've bought a PA60A with extended warranty,

on closer inspection of the invoice, it says BTB (ie back to base) warranty?

I thought warranty was onsite???

did anyone buy from Harvey Norman.

I've bought a PA60A with extended warranty,

Oh cool,

I live in Bundy, so I'm curious how much u got the PA60A for? They had it stickered at 1790 last week & then they had a catalogue & it when up to 1850 or something.

Cheers,

Pen

PA60A goes for $1550, << Myer, HN, Dick Smith all can give you that price, but I will tell you not many are willing to give you extended warranty for $150. sales person said 10% of product so i guess its correct.

I bought it for $1700 (no delivery) , $35 delivery,

with 4 years extended warranty....

They were really reluctant to give it to me at that price, but 1 sales person said he would, they rang him for like 10 minutes, and finally said yes.

waiting for delivery tomorrow, i hope they dont do a dodgy on me and send me a opened one,

i specifically mentioned , i want a unopened and brand new ONE.

As I still dont know, if there is a difference between the warranty I have bought compared to the one i keep hearing about. As I said my warranty states BTB (back to base), I mean thats just silly for a plasma tv, but I dont care it was cheap. At least I ship it back to them they have to fix it , parts + labour covered in warranty.

Edited by beatmag

As I still dont know, if there is a difference between the warranty I have bought compared to the one i keep hearing about. As I said my warranty states BTB (back to base), I mean thats just silly for a plasma tv, but I dont care it was cheap. At least I ship it back to them they have to fix it , parts + labour covered in warranty.

What does the actual warranty contract say?

Thanks heaps

Also, btw, did we resolve whether a DVI cable froma PC can be plugged into the HDMI port and give a decent picture (seeing as the 60 doesnt have a DVI/VGA port).

Cheers,

Pen