Panasonic Sd Plasma Th-42pa60a - Need An Advise

You can connect an HD stb. It will look better when displaying an HD tv show compared to your SD stb. However for most people the difference is not significant enough to justify the extra cost of the HD stb (especially given the scarcity of HD programs).

the other advantage of using a HD box on a SD panel is you get 5.1 sound on the HD movies/shows that they occasionally broadcast with 5.1.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know what 5.1 sound is!!
In simple terms, its the number of speakers you hook up - 2 front, 2 rear & 1 centre front. The 0.1 is usually a subwoofer for low sound.

Concur that its 100% possible to watch HD on a SD TV but that its usually not worth the extra expense (as the TV throws away most of the extra detail)

Have a read of the PVR FAQ if you're interested in getting a STB to record TV.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

In simple terms, its the number of speakers you hook up - 2 front, 2 rear & 1 centre front. The 0.1 is usually a subwoofer for low sound.

Concur that its 100% possible to watch HD on a SD TV but that its usually not worth the extra expense (as the TV throws away most of the extra detail)

Have a read of the PVR FAQ if you're interested in getting a STB to record TV.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

question if i may:

with the th-42pa60 what version hdmi is it v1.1 ?

if that is the case can i still buy an receiver with hdmi v1.2?

i have looked at the manual and it does not say anything.

confused?

• 7 months later...
question if i may:

with the th-42pa60 what version hdmi is it v1.1 ?

if that is the case can i still buy an receiver with hdmi v1.2?

i have looked at the manual and it does not say anything.

confused?

hey guys, i am thinking of buying a used 42" Panasonic Plasma TV- model TH-42PA60A. My only concern is that it does not have d-sub or dvi in (i will be connecting a HTPC to it).

is there any disadvantage in connecting a htpc via component in (bear in mind that its a SD panel so 480p is the max anyway). How would i connect my htpc using component in?

thanks!

PS: i only want to connect a PC to it for gaming and dvds, and do not want to buy a dvd player

• 2 months later...
To any of the TH-42PA60A owners out their - which dvd player are you using on your plasma.

Hi All,

I have a pedestal stand (Oval shape that swivels) if anyone is interested. It still in it's original box.

Pick up Campbelltown or Botany NSW - $50

Struggo

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so ill start by saying Hi and saying (lol you probably already no) this is a great forum with loads of ppl willing to help each other out, which is great to see.

Ive read through everything so far and im sorry to reboot a dead thread but im just curious, i just got the th-42pa60a and currently it looks great but i want to mount it, i was looking at the back of the unit (i have No idea what im looking at to mount, but i was told to look for screw holes?! but couldnt find any) does that mean that i cant mount? or that i need a panasonic specific one that costs a mint$$?? cause the universal ones are a lot cheaper and i was wondering if they'd work with this tv? and how?(if anyone has done it).

If anyone could help me with this i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for any help guys.

DR

Welcome DRobes,

The Pana's have holes in the back of the panel, but they have a plastic cap covering them. You just need to remove these and then the attach the mounting braket to these. Download a current Pana plasma manual and you will see them described in the first 2-3 pages.

And yes...the after market wall mounts are fine and heaps cheaper!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
So PS3 using HDMI output will get accept by Panasonic TH42PA60A? Because that the problem I'm having right now ><

What's not working? Picture, Audio, both?

The 60A probably won't accept 1080/24p video source.

What are your AV settings on the PS3?

• 8 months later...
Hi All,

I have a pedestal stand (Oval shape that swivels) if anyone is interested. It still in it's original box.

Struggo

Hi there,

I know this was posted ages ago however .. no harm in trying..lol. & i hope to goodness that you are still selling your stand and i live in brisbane but am willing to pay postage to get it delivered.

Could you plse let me know if you still have the stand.. I have been searching for a stand for awhile now.

Would appreciate all any help at all.

Cheers. if you could email me at zionkingston@gmail.com that would be awesome !!

Hi All,

Struggo

Hi there,

I know this was posted ages ago however .. no harm in trying..lol. & i hope to goodness that you are still selling your stand and i live in brisbane but am willing to pay postage to get it delivered.

Could you plse let me know if you still have the stand.. I have been searching for a stand for awhile now.

Cheers. if you could email me at zionkingston@gmail.com that would be awesome !!

Hi there,

Sorry kingzion, I sold it a while ago.