Panasonic Sd Plasma Th-42pa60a - Need An Advise

Sounds like my tough bargaining at the Jade Market -

How Much?

$100

I'll give you $50 and not a penny more.

Done!

Umm..... :blink:

Congrats Action, The PQ will be easily as good as any SD Plasma (if not better). Have fun setting it up and settling in :D

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS Not sure why FTA wasn't on the agenda (possibly no aerial?) but you could consider adding a cheap Digicrystal PVR ($200) to the mix and you'll be able to record and watch 16:9 digital FTA if you want for the odd show. Find them at Strathfields.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like my tough bargaining at the Jade Market -

How Much?

$100

I'll give you $50 and not a penny more.

Done!

Umm..... :blink:

Congrats Action, The PQ will be easily as good as any SD Plasma (if not better). Have fun setting it up and settling in :D

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS Not sure why FTA wasn't on the agenda (possibly no aerial?) but you could consider adding a cheap Digicrystal PVR ($200) to the mix and you'll be able to record and watch 16:9 digital FTA if you want for the odd show. Find them at Strathfields.

Thank you Peter......very reassuring re the PQ.

As for the FTA, just don't watch it (bugger all on it, that I'm interested in), I have enough trouble keeping up with 'my shows' on FOX.

Action dont forget to go into the foxtel picture menu and change "tv type" to 16:9 and if you have a dvd player also go into the menu and change tv type now that you have a WS tv . :D

Cheers wheelz.....done the FOX.....had forgotten the DVD player. :blink:

Congrats on your new tv. At 2.2m, a 76cm crt is definitely a better option than an sd plasma.

For foxtel, you can set it to show 4:3 shows slightly zoomed in. I think it is called 14:9. That way you fill up more of your screen without chopping off too much information

Congrats on your new tv. At 2.2m, a 76cm crt is definitely a better option than an sd plasma.

For foxtel, you can set it to show 4:3 shows slightly zoomed in. I think it is called 14:9. That way you fill up more of your screen without chopping off too much information

Thanks alfalfa.....just finished setting it up.....it does look very good.

Thanks for the 14:9 advice, I'll give it a go.

Guest kenny07

im looking at getting the PA60A in the next few weeks today ive seen it for $1698 at dick smiths at penrith in sydney but i thought it was like $1498 only a few weeks ago , i will be using a PS3 on it next year is there any problems using a PS3 on this Tv i should be conserned of? burn in issues etc ? everything i have read sounds good tho

im looking at getting the PA60A in the next few weeks today ive seen it for $1698 at dick smiths at penrith in sydney but i thought it was like $1498 only a few weeks ago , i will be using a PS3 on it next year is there any problems using a PS3 on this Tv i should be conserned of? burn in issues etc ? everything i have read sounds good tho

42PA60A is going for $1499 sticker price at Bing lee Campbelltown today.

Man I'm tempted to get one these for the back room. :blink:

42PA60A is going for $1499 sticker price at Bing lee Campbelltown today.

Man I'm tempted to get one these for the back room. :blink:

Got mine the other day for $1470 told a guy at Bing lee Penrith that HN (somewhere near city) had one for that price but didn't want to travel all that way there and he gave it to me for that much it was $1499 not that much off but could buy a cable or 2 with it :D

They don't make much form these items they buy them for around $1300.

I got the 5 year warranty as well :P

Just gotta get the right settings for the picture after 100 hours of use

Guest kenny07

how much was your 5 year warranty im also at penrith and in the market, ive been quote $1499 plus 299 for extended 5 years warranty

Hi all,

I am thinking about purchasing a Panasonic or a LG 42PC1DV. I rang JB HiFi and the first shop I rang the guy refused to give out the model numbers, then he said he couldn't hear me an hung up! Ugh! So I ran another store and this guy was much friendlier and told me the Pana is a TH42PD60. I am fairly sure he must be confused as they dont list this on the Pana website. I searched Google and it found results for this model number on Panasonic's Canadian site?

If it is the PD, does anyone know anything about this? The LG 42PC1DV is $200 more, but it has a built-in digital tuner (he seemed to think it was HD - I am not convinced) what are peoples thoughts between the two. The guy said the Pana's have a more superior panel than the LG.

He also mentioned there is a sale on tomorrow, the catalogue will be out shortly where everything is 10% off however they have all the signs up in the shop already so the sale will start today. This is at JB Hifi Tuggerah.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

The panasonic has better picture quality than the lg (though the lg is a bit brighter which may be beneficial in a sun drenched viewing environment).

The panasonic has an hdmi input which can be used to connect to a pc (assuming your pc has a dvi or hdmi output).

Well, I bought a Panasonic Plasma, however not the TH-42PA60A, I ended up getting its bigger brother the TH-42PV60A, High Definition, PC input, 2 x HDMI etc. Walked into HN Erina, he had one left and it was ticketed $1999, as it was the last one and it was the demo I crunched him down to $1750! I then went to Good Guys, he didn't want to know me at this price, so last stop, JB. As soon as I told him the price he nearly fell over, and once again, last one left was the demo. He went away, spoke to his manager and came back with $1740, only $10, but still cheaper! :blink:

i think i bought myself a bargain for a $3299 RRP HD plasma! It doesn't have the inbuilt HD tuner, but, I really dont care - I have a SD STB and ****, if I want HD I will still come out way in front!

There was a Samsung Plasma sitting next to the Pana also, the Pana was far more superior in PQ and detail imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just bought the panasonic TH-42PA60A toady from Harvey Norman. As it isnt a HD TV does that mean that I cant connect a HD set top box? The sales man was telling me why, but I didnt really understand. I did buy a basic SD set top box.

Kenny07, you got a really good deal. HN was $1496. Its amazing to see how much they have come down. The first posts about these TV the prices were around the $2000 and that was only in October!

Thanks in advance for help!

I just bought the panasonic TH-42PA60A toady from Harvey Norman. As it isnt a HD TV does that mean that I cant connect a HD set top box? The sales man was telling me why, but I didnt really understand. I did buy a basic SD set top box.

You can connect an HD stb. It will look better when displaying an HD tv show compared to your SD stb. However for most people the difference is not significant enough to justify the extra cost of the HD stb (especially given the scarcity of HD programs).

Remember to change the picture settings from dynamic to normal or cinema. I use cinema with the brightness turned down to about 40 or less and the contrast turned up to over 90.

Also I would adjust the colour temperature to warm as this is the most accurate.

Thanks for your help! It's my first plasma purchase, so I'm really excited. I didnt want to spend double to get a plasma with HD built in, especially when I am used to watching normal TV. We are building a house that will have a theatre room, so we will spend up big when that is ready in about 2 years - so this will get us by till then.