Panasonic Sd Plasma Th-42pa60a - Need An Advise

We paid $1999 at HN + $180 for an extra 4 years extended warranty (5 years total). We are very happy with the picture quality via Component utilising PerisanImortal's calibrated settings, especially on FTA and DVD.

BTW... The TH-42PA60A does not have a VGA input for PC connectivity

mhorsman

thanks for that about how to check out how many hours the pana has done.

also out of interest is your pana the made in japan or made in china model.

We paid $1999 at HN + $180 for an extra 4 years extended warranty (5 years total). We are very happy with the picture quality via Component utilising PerisanImortal's calibrated settings, especially on FTA and DVD.

mhorsman

thanks for the reply about how to find how many houes the pana has done.

our of interest which pana have you got the made in japan or china model.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GG catalogue is advertising the 42PA60A at $1999 not the PV60A. I know because I asked them.

Well either they are advertising incorrectly or you have been told wrongly because the $1999 plasma is advertised with a 1024x768p resolution (as per the 42PV60A), and the 42PA60A only has a resolution of 852x480. Interesting.... :blink:

Either way, on saturday I saw both units at myer playing Channel 9 HD... and I actually preferred the 42PA60A with its SD resolution (slightly blurry) over the 42PV60A which showed up all the pixelation on 9's HD coverage while the SD screen looked quite nice hehehe...

Edited by Travesso

All Panasonic panels are "run in" for 100 hours before they leave the factory

To check hours on the TH-42PA60A use the following process...

1. Set the Plasma to to analogue channel 99

2. Set Bass to max, Treble to min.

3. Hold down the 'Index' button on remote and press -/v on the Plasma then release all buttons.

4. You will now be in Service Menu 1.

5. Press Red button on remote to move to the end of Service Menu 1 (SD auto check)

6. Press the 'Hold' button on remote.

7. You will now be in Service Menu 2.

8. Press Red button on remote to move to the end of Service Menu 2.

9. Hours will appear.

10. Press N to exit the Service Menu.

Geez, mine is now up to 1434 hours... kids must have been racking up Foxtel time whilst I was at work :-)

Will that work with the hi def panels

Not that many of you seem the type but I engage in that otherwise known waste as a waste of time; console gaming.

I recently hooked up the good ole PS2 via component to faithful TH-42PA60A and all I can say is wow.

There is a marked difference over the S-Video input.

Notably the picture contrast is significantly improved, whilst detail is taken up several notches. The picture is far sharper and it seems to me less of that weird particle affect that you notice when up close to the screen. (but don't notice at viewing distance)

If you've got the NTSC PS2 & titles have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Progr..._Scan_PS2_Games - there are a number of games which allow you to flick a title into progressive scan mode, even up to 1080i (GT4). There are some rare PAL titles out there that output at 576i (go to the link - it tells you how to do turn this on).

However the biggest surprise I found was this:

I've had the foxtel component going into AV2. For some reason I decided to move it to AV3 component whilst the PS2 went into AV2 component.

The picture now on foxtel is markedly improved! Far sharper, crisp like an apple - a very surprising development! I'll have to go back to the manual because there is some note about certain inputs being more suitable to certain sources. Moreover I'm going to swap the PS2 & Foxtel around and see if there is any improvement on PS2. Maybe AV3 has a specially designed filter on the scaler/chipset that process the signal from modem inputs like foxtel/consoles.

Lastly has anyone had a chance to get some really technical stuff from panasonic, notably finding out all the stuff they never put in the manual……

Chugs,

Lets us know your findings when you swap the PS2 & Foxtel and visa versa from AV2 to AV3.

Also if you can find in the the manual the note about certain inputs being more suitable to certain sources and which page it is on.

At the moment i have my dvd player on AV3 and STB on AV2 both running component.

Not that many of you seem the type but I engage in that otherwise known waste as a waste of time; console gaming.

I recently hooked up the good ole PS2 via component to faithful TH-42PA60A and all I can say is wow.

There is a marked difference over the S-Video input.

Notably the picture contrast is significantly improved, whilst detail is taken up several notches. The picture is far sharper and it seems to me less of that weird particle affect that you notice when up close to the screen. (but don't notice at viewing distance)

If you've got the NTSC PS2 & titles have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Progr..._Scan_PS2_Games - there are a number of games which allow you to flick a title into progressive scan mode, even up to 1080i (GT4). There are some rare PAL titles out there that output at 576i (go to the link - it tells you how to do turn this on).

However the biggest surprise I found was this:

I've had the foxtel component going into AV2. For some reason I decided to move it to AV3 component whilst the PS2 went into AV2 component.

The picture now on foxtel is markedly improved! Far sharper, crisp like an apple - a very surprising development! I'll have to go back to the manual because there is some note about certain inputs being more suitable to certain sources. Moreover I'm going to swap the PS2 & Foxtel around and see if there is any improvement on PS2. Maybe AV3 has a specially designed filter on the scaler/chipset that process the signal from modem inputs like foxtel/consoles.

Lastly has anyone had a chance to get some really technical stuff from panasonic, notably finding out all the stuff they never put in the manual……

Just curious, my ps2 only has composite did you buy a special cable for component ?? and where from

• Volunteer
Just curious, my ps2 only has composite did you buy a special cable for component ?? and where from

Dick Smith Powerhouse has the component cables for PS2 around the 30 dollar mark. :blink:

mhorsman

thanks for that about how to check out how many hours the pana has done.

also out of interest is your pana the made in japan or made in china model.

mhorsman

thanks for the reply about how to find how many houes the pana has done.

our of interest which pana have you got the made in japan or china model.

Ours is made in China and to be honest that does not bother me. We are very happy with the picture quality now it is calibrated and have 5 years warranty if we have any issues. From everything I have read both Chinese and Japanese built panels are made utilising the same components built to the same standards using the same process so in theory there should be no difference.

At the price we paid in September last year with 5 years warranty we are not concerned about the country it was built in... we are just enjoying watching it :blink:

All Panasonic panels are "run in" for 100 hours before they leave the factory

Will that work with the hi def panels

My panel had 2 hours on it when we bought it, not 100 so I guess they don't do that now.

I'm not sure owning the SD model whether the HD model uses a different method to access the hours but others here would do... you can always just try :D

mhorsman

Thanks for the reply regarding where it was made.

I have had the TH-42PA60A (Made In China) since Jan07 and i love it.

We paid $1688 at HN + $200 for an extra 4 years extended warranty (5 years total).

How have you set up your pana, i have mine setup up as below:

On AV2 - Strong SRT5400 via compenent (got it for $300 at Greensbourgh HN only reason why i bought it)

On AV2 - Pioneer DV-626 DVD Player via component.

Just interested, or should i swap AV2 and AV3 around.

As i read somewhere (i think Chugs wrote it) that AV2 & AV3 may have differant inputs being more suitable to certain sources, but then again i am only starting out and still learning the ropes.

Apologies for the questions.

mhorsman

Thanks for the reply regarding where it was made.

I have had the TH-42PA60A (Made In China) since Jan07 and i love it.

We paid $1688 at HN + $200 for an extra 4 years extended warranty (5 years total).

How have you set up your pana, i have mine setup up as below:

On AV2 - Strong SRT5400 via component (got it for $300 at Greensbourgh HN only reason why i bought it)

On AV3 - Pioneer DV-626 DVD Player via component.

Just interested, or should i swap AV2 and AV3 around.

As i read somewhere (i think Chugs wrote it) that AV2 & AV3 may have differant inputs being more suitable to certain sources, but then again i am only starting out and still learning the ropes.

Apologies for the questions.

Went to JB HiFi Nunawading a few days ago, the quoted $1450 for 42PA60A.

I used this quote to get the same panel for $1425 at HN Fyshwick.

I then asked about extended warranty to 5 years and was quoted $199 but the salesman said you probably want that cheaper as well.

ended up $135 5 year warranty, $45 delivery.

Dick Smith Powerhouse has the component cables for PS2 around the 30 dollar mark. :blink:

I got mine at www.quantronics.com.au (they're a little tricky to find, very strange shop - if you're in city/sydney its just cheaper to walk up and get it - PM if you want directions). $17 was the going price.

Everyone claimed that ebay was cheaper but i found that the cheapest of $7.99 came with a postage & handling of $5 (it was the cheapest postage and handling) and when you factored in the risk, cost and delay of using ebay it was actually cheaper and easier to just physically rock up to the shop.

That said down at Haymarket i'm sure there are several dodgy computer stores that can do you a deal...for example just the other day got a external LG dvd burner (18X) for $79 bucks (and that was without haggling).

some people claim that there are better quality cables but personally i think with the Th-42PA being a SD there isn't much point spending a huge amount on a bunch of cabling...

lastly you gotta remember to turn your PS2 onto YuV

Chugs

How did you go when you swapped the PS2 & Foxtel and visa versa from AV2 to AV3.

Did you ever find in the the manual the note about certain inputs being more suitable to certain sources and Which page it is on. As i have my dvd player on AV3 and STB on AV2 both running component.

Hopefully you can rely soon, just interested.

Guest lemonbmw
I used this quote to get the same panel for $1425 at HN Fyshwick.

I then asked about extended warranty to 5 years and was quoted $199 but the salesman said you probably want that cheaper as well.

ended up $135 5 year warranty, $45 delivery.

Thats a very good price, i had to pay1599 for mine

Thats a very good price, i had to pay1599 for mine

and more expensive waranty too $150

Chugs

How did you go when you swapped the PS2 & Foxtel and visa versa from AV2 to AV3.

Did you ever find in the the manual the note about certain inputs being more suitable to certain sources and Which page it is on. As i have my dvd player on AV3 and STB on AV2 both running component.

Hopefully you can rely soon, just interested.

Hey Koaz,

Thanks for reminding me.

Yes AV3 is for some reason a far better input, at least for the PS2.

Unfortunately my bloody scart box (>component) has started to fail (won't fit nicely into the back of the fox box anymore, i think its because the component cable is to ridge and the plastic has possibly warped...) anyway after a much rage i wasn't able to flip fox into AV2 component to compare the quality...

but at least with AV3 it just seems brighter, warmer, and sharper for the PS2 (that said i'm just running of the standard pic option, forget which one though)....

hi,

i wanted to ask how large is the packaging?

for the PA60A? Thinking about purchasing but hard to fit in the car?

can I have it lying flat face down?

will it be ok if I drive really slow?

For anyone that's interested, I took the back seat (bottom) out of the VT Commodore and it fitted OK, still in the box.

I picked it up for $1436 + $114 for the 4 years = $1550 from HN in Bendigo.

Cheers.

Hey Koaz,

Thanks for reminding me.

Yes AV3 is for some reason a far better input, at least for the PS2.

Unfortunately my bloody scart box (>component) has started to fail (won't fit nicely into the back of the fox box anymore, i think its because the component cable is to ridge and the plastic has possibly warped...) anyway after a much rage i wasn't able to flip fox into AV2 component to compare the quality...

but at least with AV3 it just seems brighter, warmer, and sharper for the PS2 (that said i'm just running of the standard pic option, forget which one though)....

ok got the foxtel working again via component and yep AV3 still coming out better in PQ then AV2.

Anyone else able to replicate this?

ok got the foxtel working again via component and yep AV3 still coming out better in PQ then AV2.

Anyone else able to replicate this?

I'm using component on both AV2 (DVD / Foxtel via AVR) and AV3 (FTA STB) and have not noticed any difference in quality beteween the 2. I've tried swapping sources with no change in quality.

I understand these units are more or less built to be hooked up to a home theatre sound system or similar, but the "normal" sound from the unit itself is horrible, no matter what adjustments I have made from the sound menu. Good pic thou...............

Cheers.

I believe its a three-way system. I found it doesn't reproduce high end frequencies that well, the volume has to be quite high to get any sense (at least it doesn't distort at high levels).

as TV speaker systems go I'd probably say its a low/average system.

I went out, got some nice but cheap bookshelf speakers, plugged them into spare power amp and am just using the monitor out on the set - 5.1 one is by far too over-rated.

Sadly you can't change the volume levels via the set if you're using monitor out.

its difficult to get a consistent level across all of the various devices you've got going through the set.

I wasn't expecting too much, but was suprised at the poor quality of the sound. Perhaps a set of speakers cold be the go.

Cheers.

yeah i'd agree in someways but with the price the set is at these days, $1500 if they had stuck a bunch of rabbit ears on the back of it i'd still of purchased it - picture is still pretty damn awesome, especially with the component.

Is anyone using the HDMI on this set? Is there a improvement over component?

sadly i was a early intergrator with this set....oh well you win some you lose some